[RTR-ICD] Street Spasm

101 posts / 0 new
Last post

Street Spasm

Instant (U)
Street Spasm deals X damage ot target creature without flying you don't control.
Overload (You may cast this spell for its overload cost. If you do, change its text by replacing all instances of "target" with each".)
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
Card =
Guild Keyword = OH HECK YES PLEASE SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
I like how the costs are almost opposite of Bonfire of the Damned.

Overload seems cool though. I think it's more way more interesting than Populate.
That KEYWORD !
I love it. 
Beware !!!! There are Zombies even in Spaces !!!
I just OVERLOADED my pants.
Card =
Guild Keyword = OH HECK YES PLEASE SIR MAY I HAVE ANOTHER

I don't think I could say it any better than this.
I love this keyword.
I've seem this keyword in YMtC a few times and I'm excited to finally see it printed. I'm very interested in seeing the different applications for it. 
Hoard of Notions: Cards and general design musings from yours truly.
I feel like I am never EVER going to see an Overloaded spell resolve.
Aw yeah! Thank you, Wizards. Thank you.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
So friggin' cool. I love this so much.

I mean, the card is less than exciting by itself, though it certainly has enough flexibility and awesomeness that I'll play it. But the Overload mechanic just seems awesome. I also love how it translates into Multiplayer so well. This is beautiful. 
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/0a90721d221e50e5755af156c179fe51.jpg?v=90000) Check out Ars Arcanum, my stat based series on Magic Limited, over at PureMTGO. Here is a link to the archive: http://goo.gl/Zvh6Q
It's an instant Bonfire at Uncommon ...
Not quite as good as Bonfire obviously, but it's comparable enough that it should knock the price down to a reasonable number.
It always costs the double X, and doesn't hit the player, but it's also always instant.
Not quite as good as Bonfire obviously, but it's comparable enough that it should knock the price down to a reasonable number.
It always costs the double X, and doesn't hit the player, but it's also always instant.

I dunno, the double red in the overload makes it less splashable, and the "without flying" clause is kind of a big deal. I'd estimate that even with decent application, bonfire won't drop further than $30 
The card is nice but the mechanic is amazing!  <3
I just OVERLOADED my pants.

p much this!
Wow, overload........ I'm psyched =D.

*Sane mind mode*............. I'm with Izzet *goes crazy*

Firstly, I think it's Bonfire done right. It's either a 2 mana "mana dork bar Birds" killer, or late game board wipe. We'll see what higher "overloads" cost (by higher, I mean rare/mythic overload cards)
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
A Heat Ray with the option of a one-sided instant speed Pyroclasm? This thing should be a powerhouse in limited.
Hmmm, now that I think about it, whats its synergy with Snapcaster Mage? I wonder if I could still overload it. Still decent removal at least
Decks I run
Show
I currently run a deck for Standard, Modern, Commander and Legacy. For standard, I have a typical, horribly budget Rakdos Deck Wins. For Modern, I have a B/G/U/W Draw-go Reanimator featuring my favorite creature, Wurmcoil Engine. For Legacy, I'm trying too hard to break Pyromancer Ascension. I also run a Naya Zoo with all the oldies. For Commander/EDH, I'm running The Mimeoplasm. A little morals thing about me, I like winning through combos, but not infinitely. However quiet, I am a Christian, so feel free to tell me you are too, it's always a relief.
How to be saved?
Show
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you shall be saved and your house. Book of Acts 16:31
Cheers!
So good in limited interesting mechanic to.

Check out my twitch.tv stream below where I play magic online limited queues. Don't forget to follow if you enjoy what I'm presenting to show your support!

http://twitch.tv/dpg20__

Hmmm, now that I think about it, whats its synergy with Snapcaster Mage? I wonder if I could still overload it. Still decent removal at least

If you cast this with flasback, then you cannot overload it. Overload is an alternate cost and flasback is an alternate cost. You can only pick one.
I've never been fond of cards with XX in their casting cost, but that keyword is wicked amazing.  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
How does Overload work with CMC?
You Overload this for X=2, paying , what's its converted mana cost on the stack?
The end is always nigh.

No, Snapcaster gives card Flashback, imagine this hypothetical card.

Fling Around The Rosy
Sorcery
Sacrifice target creature you control, if you do, ~ deals damage to target opponent equal to the power of all creatures sacrificed to Fling Around the Rosy
Flashback
Overload

Doesn't make sense to Overload and Flashback does it?

My goodness, Fling Around the Rosy would be an awesome Overload Card (sans Flashback).
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
You Overload this for X=2, paying , what's its converted mana cost on the stack?

X=0, always, when it comes to cmc.  
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin

Not true. When on the stack, you do consider the value of X when determining CMC. If you overload this spell for 2, it will have a converted mana cost of 6 while on the stack.
Off the stack, though, it will always have a converted mana cost of one. 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Not true. When on the stack, you do consider the value of X when determining CMC. If you overload this spell for 2, it will have a converted mana cost of 6 while on the stack.

Jim is right, but didn't wanna say anything in case my suspicions were wrong, which they weren't.

Now how about overload with cost reductions, like Goblin Electromancer or Arcane Melee. Are both Xs reduced, just 1 X, or not at all?
Decks I run
Show
How to be saved?
Show
Cheers!
Now how about overload with cost reductions, like Goblin Electromancer or Arcane Melee. Are both Xs reduced, just 1 X, or not at all?

With Arcane Melee the spell costs less to cast. It does not matter how many Xs there are or what the value for X is.

Say you choose X is 2. The cost would be minus , so the total cost is .

Jim is right, but didn't wanna say anything in case my suspicions were wrong, which they weren't.

Right, which is why I was asking, wasn't sure if CMC would be 3 because the cost printed in top right is just .
The end is always nigh.

The entire cost is reduced by just . (Or for Arcane Melee.)

The way it works is that you choose X first, then the whole cost is reduced. So if you wanted to overload with X=2, the cost of the spell would become , and then Goblin Electromancer would reduce it to .

Edit: Sarnath'd! 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Right, which is why I was asking, wasn't sure if CMC would be 3 because the cost printed in top right is just X.

Oh shoot, yeah I was wrong. That's exactly how it works. If you overload with X=2, the converted mana cost is 3. I just looked it up and Bonfire of the Damned works similarly. (If you miracle for X=2, the CMC is 5.)

Ok, ty guys, yeah I'd imagine a curve (late game) going like turn 2 Goblin, turn 5 melee, turn 6 (on opponent's turn of course) a Street Spasm for..... whats that? 6 lands. cost reduced by 3..... RR6, backed up by Negate for U. That seems nice
Decks I run
Show
How to be saved?
Show
Cheers!

You use the mana cost printed in the upper right even if you paid an alternate cost. Look at the ruling for Conflagrate.

If you overload it with X is 2, then the converted mana cost is 3.
Awesome sounding mechanic, but there's not really that much design space (and yeah, it's another "kicker" variant but so is everything).

Expect an overload version of Shatter, Disperse, Bull Rush and Call to Mind.
Since flopfoot said I should post power creep in every* thread, I shall. And now i have.

*three of them.
Overload... Lightning in art?

BRB Mass Effect time.
Photobucket

No, this isn't good enough to replace [C]Bonfire of the Damned[/C]. Bonfire hits all opponent's creatures, even the flying ones (Delver, Restoration Angel, spirit tokens...all very important in Standard right now).

Bonfire will probably even be more expensive soon when people start to play Izzet.

IMAGE(http://oi39.tinypic.com/14mvxh5.jpg)

Oh look, another way to write "kicker".
I'm not sure what to think of this thing. The mechanic has potential for interesting things, but I don't think it's going to be explored properly.

I want to see a draw spell with it.

Yxoque wrote:
This forum can't even ****ing self-destruct properly.

IMAGE(http://img.pokemondb.net/sprites/black-white/anim/normal/plusle.gif)

I want to see a draw spell with it.

How would it be worded? Overload just replaces 'target' with 'each'.

[<o>]
for a group hug commander deck
proud member of the 2011 community team
Maybe 'draw a card for each creature target player controls'
Sign In to post comments