Fighting Ogremoch's Bane

I permitted my players to mostly skip the fight while getting a bad rep with the gnomes.

we tried a 3 rounds, but 2 fighters and a cleric with no magical weapon, level 3-2-1, it would have resulted in running away or possibly a TPK.

they decided to go destroy the boon and tell the bane it his friends were free to go now. Sounded like a good idea and I just go with it. 
Doesn't the scenario suggest luring the Bane into a room where physical attacks can harm it?
Well, the text implies (if I'm reading correctly) that they can just sort of... stay .. in the pech's ward circle and ping the Bane with magic missile (if they've got it.)

Seems like a snoozefest of an encounter.  I'm guessing eventually the pechs would get tired, the Bane would move away, or they'd starve to death.  

Did I miss something? 
Doesn't the scenario suggest luring the Bane into a room where physical attacks can harm it?

That would involve telegraphing that the Bane becomes weaker when he is inside the Boon room. I don't know if it is suggested if he follows them in no matter what though.
Ant Farm
My group led it into the Boon's room, and stayed inside of the pech's shield and dealt damage that way. I wish there was a way for the Bane to break the pech's shield, but the adventure didn't list one. So, he went down without dealing any damage to them. Sort of anti-climactic, but they got beat up by orcs earlier, so it balanced out I guess.
The adventure does mention that if the encounter is becoming too static, you can have one of the Pechs enchant a stone, which temporarily weakens the ward allowing the PCs to be attacked, and grants them a stone to throw causing 1d8 damage. Also the enounter can be made more interesting with the use of the Drow character in the appendix, although potentially quite lethal.

Overall it does seem like a fairly boring enounter though. There are various ways the characters can do damage spread out through the adventure, such as luring it to the boon, getting the magical handaxe, or the necklace of Sunnis from the king in the House Centre, and both wizard and clerics should be able to deal direct damage. The problem is I get the impression that this is supposed to be one of the earlier quests completed, and there is not really enough "telegraphing" in my opinion of the NEED for magical weapons. Complete immunity to your enemy is also pretty boring, so I'd probably allow Ogremoch's Bane to try to overcome the protection (and deal 1d4+1 damage to each player, or atleast try attacking them for said damage), or else just get an attack on the palyers every 2nd or 3rd turn.
The adventure does mention that if the encounter is becoming too static, you can have one of the Pechs enchant a stone, which temporarily weakens the ward allowing the PCs to be attacked, and grants them a stone to throw causing 1d8 damage..

Funnily enough, I actually told my group that the pech could enchant the stones, but at the risk of dropping the shield for a round. The group responded with an in unison "NO!". Evidently they were more afraid of the damage the Bane could do than the damage they weren't doing Laughing
I got the feeling it was a tool for DM Fiat, and you just did it if you got bored ;)

That way you surprise the characters, liven up the battle, and after that they can either tell the Pechs off or get them to do it again.
When I plan on taking on this campiagn after I complete my current one. The battle itself seems rather boring by itself, it's certainly climatic, resistant and forces them to deal with it unlike many other creatures, but it has the problem of turning into a grindfest.

In which case, theres two things I'm considering.

The drow seems naturally made for this encounter more then any others, with a bit of foreshadowing with other encounters it could become rather climatic to have their protection gradually fade, though I assume the creatures will always be able to protect myself aside from a full barrier failure..

Another idea I considered waas giving the creature an attack he can use to try and deal with the barrier itself made at disadvantage, comparing X against the wisdom/core stat + 1 for every surrviving creature in the party, assuming that even if the barrier itself is composed of their will. If it ever breaks the barrier, the entire thing fails and they have to restart it, though it's unlikely that it will without assitance.

This in theory would give the encounter a bit of added tension and actually force them to make some decisions quickly. Can they spot the hidden archer quickly enough? Are they willing to risk leaving the barrier to ensure their safety to disable this threat? Or failing that would they defeat the creature quickly enough?

That being said, there could be additional things that could be used to help fight the creature. As said, I distinctively remember theres a pendant that inflicts D12 + Wis modifier in the House of Kings, perhaps alternatively it can be used to disable the creatures physical protection for X rounds, where X is whether they are inside or outside the barrier, thrusting the charm into the creatures core and forcing it to recoil into a more solid form.
I don't think I'd change the encounter too much, except to use DM fiat to occasionally drop the barrier to attack, if things were getting a bit stale. What I would do is try to encourage the players to invest more heavily in magic before the encounter, forshadowing the magical immunity of Ogremoch's Bane.

Btw that's an awesome name for a monster, I can't get enough of it.
Use the Secret Enemy chapter in the Playtest packet, a Drow woman threatens the Pech not to help the Deep Gnomes. She sneaks around and when she notices the Pech's trying to stop Bane, she kills one every two rounds. Letting the shield drop.
Ant Farm
Use the Secret Enemy chapter in the Playtest packet, a Drow woman threatens the Pech not to help the Deep Gnomes. She sneaks around and when she notices the Pech's trying to stop Bane, she kills one every two rounds. Letting the shield drop.

This is exactly what I'll do, I think.  Depending on how prepped the party is to deal with the Bane.  If they're immune and just magic missiling every few rounds, the secret enemy seems like a good way to liven it up.

If the combat unravels with the pechs-making-magic-stones mechanic, I'll probably leave her out of it.

And, of course, when the Bane feels totally weakened and near the end of its existence.. why would it stay there and keep taking it?

I'm thinking something like dislodging part of the cavern ceiling above the party, a heavy enough chunk to make the pechs scatter, so the last round or two is dangerous.
That last suggestion is pretty good, I might do that myself.
That last suggestion is pretty good, I might do that myself.

Or a slightly more player-friendly way: when the Bane's weakened, have him withdraw for a bit (build suspense for players, etc) .. then have him dislodge a ceiling rock that bounces off the ward (giving the players the idea, if they're paying attention, that the Bane is changing his tactics).  Then, have the Bane alter/destroy the rock under the pechs' feet in order to weak/drop the ward.

Dunno, lots of ways you can run with it, if you RP the Bane as having a mind and tactics! 
I don't think I'd change the encounter too much, except to use DM fiat to occasionally drop the barrier to attack, if things were getting a bit stale. What I would do is try to encourage the players to invest more heavily in magic before the encounter, forshadowing the magical immunity of Ogremoch's Bane.

Btw that's an awesome name for a monster, I can't get enough of it.

Since Ogremoch's Bane is surrounding the barrier and using all his might to get through it, you could give him an attack roll each round...just roll a d20 and decide how often you want the barrier to go down.   If he rolls 17, 18, 19, 20 for example,he temporarily breaches the barrier doing the 1d4-1 to each PC.   You can narrate that the as Ogremoch slams against the barrier, the Pechs wince.   One of the Pechs stumbles and the barrier drops momentarily.

A Brave Knight of WTF - "Wielder of the Sword of Balance"

Rhenny's Blog:  http://community.wizards.com/user/1497701/blog

Are there stats anywhere for pechs? Or do they just automatically die if hit?
Sign In to post comments