Is frostcheese valuable beyond providing CA? (Hexblade question and call for suggestions)

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am a relatively new player looking for suggestions. I have a drow fey pact hexblade and am using the Ethereal Sidestep + Evermeet PP combo to get constant invisibility against the target I am attacking (with surprising charge thrown in to boot since I'll be charging every turn). Since invisibility comes with combat advantage, do I need frost cheese as well?

If not, what feats would you recommend I take? As of now my feats are:
Level 1 - Rod Expertise
Level 2 - Implement Focus (Rod)
Level 4 - Improved Defenses
Level 6 - Wintertouched
Level 8 - Sneak of Shadows
Level 10 - Surprising Charge
Level 11 - Lasting Frost
Level 12 - Deft Blade 
Thanks in advance for your help.
Well if you are generating CA with other means, then you don't need the wintertouched feat, but the rest of the frost package is still good for damage. The vulnerability, plus all the cold bonuses (icy soul, gloves of ice, cold dragonshard).
I'm finding Lasting Frost to be increasingly less valuable the higher the optimization ceiling gets, however.  It's nearly invisible if I'm fighting standard monsters, as they die too rapidly for the damage to show up very often.  It's the same reason I pass on things like the Spellfury line of feats, and all the other things that require followup hits on the same target to work.  It's still a decent damage boost for its cost of a feat, but it's not above other options.  Especially for characters like a Hexblade that don't capitalize on multiple damage instances repeating the vulnerability, it's not that impressive compared to other feats.  Against standards it's got, for me, about a 50% uptime.  The first hit never uses it, and the thing's usually dead with the second.  There's a few times where the thing is up longer, and it's obviously better against solos, but it's got an effective increase of about 2.5-3 damage.  That's pretty much par for the "damage increasing feat" course for a paragon level feat.

Wintertouched is useless nowadays.  There's almost always a more effective way to get CA, and most importantly one that doesn't require you to hit a target first.  For your particular build it's only useful on a followup hit against things that have blindsight, tremorsense, or truesight.  Definitely worth dropping.  It was great back in the PHB1 days, when there weren't any easy feat/PP sources of CA.  Now there are, and Wintertouched has fallen way behind the pack.  Don't get it.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Agree Wintertouched is not as good anymore.

Lasting Frost depends on the character/group. For a Scout, I feel it's great, since it's basically an extra +5 damage on the off hand attack all day long. For a partyful of frost weapon users, it's great because they trigger each others' vulnerability. For a character who is the sole cold damage dealer in a party, it's just not worthwhile. For my Hunter, I use the frost package, sans Lasting Frost/Wintertouched, which strangely enough used to be the cornerstone of the frost package. But with Icy Heart, Gloves of Ice, and shard, it nets 6 extra damage at paragon, compared to other tools, hard to say no to.
With regards to CA feats, the options you have are Wintertouched, Cunning Stalker, Deadly Draw, Hidden Sniper, Distant Advantage, the Assassin shroud feat...am I missing anything else? Wintertouched is still looking pretty good IMO.
With regards to CA feats, the options you have are Wintertouched, Cunning Stalker, Deadly Draw, Hidden Sniper, Distant Advantage, the Assassin shroud feat...am I missing anything else? Wintertouched is still looking pretty good IMO.

Tome Expertise, if you have an at-will conjuration (which you can get with Fey Cantrip, if necessary).

Terrain Advantage, if you have a way of generating difficult terrain.

Disciple of Torment, if you happen to use a Withering Weapon or are otherwise fond of save-ends effects (perhaps Slashing Kama Style).

Not a feat, but several themes grant easy-mode CA (FBT, Pack Outcast, or Stormraider, to name a few), and they're common enough to mention.

Vicious Advantage and Vexing Flanker
I'm finding Lasting Frost to be increasingly less valuable the higher the optimization ceiling gets, however.  It's nearly invisible if I'm fighting standard monsters, as they die too rapidly for the damage to show up very often.  It's the same reason I pass on things like the Spellfury line of feats, and all the other things that require followup hits on the same target to work.  It's still a decent damage boost for its cost of a feat, but it's not above other options.  Especially for characters like a Hexblade that don't capitalize on multiple damage instances repeating the vulnerability, it's not that impressive compared to other feats.  Against standards it's got, for me, about a 50% uptime.  The first hit never uses it, and the thing's usually dead with the second.  There's a few times where the thing is up longer, and it's obviously better against solos, but it's got an effective increase of about 2.5-3 damage.  That's pretty much par for the "damage increasing feat" course for a paragon level feat.

Wintertouched is useless nowadays.  There's almost always a more effective way to get CA, and most importantly one that doesn't require you to hit a target first.  For your particular build it's only useful on a followup hit against things that have blindsight, tremorsense, or truesight.  Definitely worth dropping.  It was great back in the PHB1 days, when there weren't any easy feat/PP sources of CA.  Now there are, and Wintertouched has fallen way behind the pack.  Don't get it.

Unless you are dealing 100+ damage per hit, this is just stupid. And unless you have found a way to exceed 5+5+4+1+10.5 that does not involve multiple Boons of Pelor's Radiance, it is also false.

Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Perhaps you could be a bit more specific about what in my post you find "just stupid"

Is it the part where I compare the damage output of LF to other feats of equivalent cost, and find that it's not all that extreme compared to other options?

Sure, if you have tons of spare feats, it's a great one to take if you're doing cold damage.  But there are lots of other feats you could be taking, and the comparison is valid.

Is it the part where you think I'm saying cold damage at all isn't worth taking, then no, I'm not saying that.  Cold has great damage support, and LF is part of it.  But LF, specifically, I find underwhelming as soon as you start getting up around the .5 KPR mark.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Which is a dumb thing to think about, because statistically you are more likely to face solos and elites as your level rises. If you're only scheduled to face Standards regularly, Lasting Frost loses luster as you approach 0.5 KPR. If your monster mix is at all skewed toward bigger mobs (likely given they're the preferred option for monster construction across manuals at high levels), you still want it because your KPR goes down to 0.15 or so if you're facing a solo, or 0.3 for an elite.
Mountain Cleave Rule: You can have any sort of fun, including broken, silly fun, so long as I get to have that fun too (e. g., if you can warp reality with your spells, I can cleave mountains with my blade).
Sign In to post comments