Would you buy 5E right now?

So would you buy 5E in its current form?

Feel free to give reasons, but please don't start arguments or long discussions on the topic...

There are other threads for that...
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
Currently I wouldn't buy it. Too much like older editions with Linear Fighters and Quadratic Wizards, vancian Wizards, swingy fights that end in TPKs as much as Wizards totally destroying encounters with their spells.
"Unite the [fan] base? Hardly. As of right now, I doubt their ability to unite a slightly unruly teabag with a cup of water."--anjelika
1-4E play style
The 4E play style is a high action cinematic style of play where characters worry less about being killed in one hit and more about strategy and what their next move is and the one after it. The players talk back and forth about planning a battle and who can do what to influence the outcome. 4E play is filled with cinematic over the top action. An Eladrin teleports out of the grip of the Ogre. The Fighter slams the dragons foot with his hammer causing it to rear up and stagger back in pain. The Cleric creates a holy zone where their allies weapons are guided to their targets and whenever an enemy dies the Clerics allies are healed. 4E is about knowing when to lauch your nova attack, whether its a huge arcane spell that causes enemies to whirl around in a chaotic storm, or if its a trained adrenaline surge that causes you to attack many many times with two weapons on a single target, or a surge of adrenaline that keeps you going though you should already be dead. Its about tactics and the inability to carry around a bag of potions or a few wands and never have to worry about healing. Its about the guy that can barely role play having the same chance to convince the king to aid the group as the guy that takes improv acting classes and regularly stars as an extra on movies.
Stormwind Fallacy
The Stormwind Fallacy, aka the Roleplayer vs Rollplayer Fallacy Just because one optimizes his characters mechanically does not mean that they cannot also roleplay, and vice versa. Corollary: Doing one in a game does not preclude, nor infringe upon, the ability to do the other in the same game. Generalization 1: One is not automatically a worse role player if he optimizes, and vice versa. Generalization 2: A non-optimized character is not automatically role played better than an optimized one, and vice versa. ...[aside]... Proof: These two elements rely on different aspects of a player's game play. Optimization factors in to how well one understands the rules and handles synergies to produce a very effective end result. Role playing deals with how well a player can act in character and behave as if he was someone else. A person can act while understanding the rules, and can build something powerful while still handling an effective character. There is nothing in the game -- mechanical or otherwise -- restricting one if you participate in the other. Claiming that an optimizer cannot role play (or is participating in a play style that isn't supportive of role playing) because he is an optimizer, or vice versa, is committing the Stormwind Fallacy.
The spells we should getLook here to Check out my adventures and ideas. I've started a blog, about video games, table top role playing games, programming, and many other things its called Kel and Lok Games. My 4E Fantasy Grounds game is currently full.
If it were a complete system?

Quite possibly.

But can we make it better as a community?

No doubt.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Right now?  No. 
But that's because it's incomplete. 

Right now I'm content to download the playtest packs, tinker about, etc.  In short just watching it develop.

I'll make the final desicion as to wether or not to buy once it's launched.
I'll sit down & read it at the shop or local bookstore.
If it ships sealed in some form?  Then I'll download a copy & read it.
If what I read is a steaming pile of poo?  I'll put it back on the shelf/delete it.
If it looks OK?  Then I'll consider buying it
I would not buy it.  It is missing too many races and classes, and still has a very rough feel.  Playing it I clearly have the sense that it is a work in progress, and that isn't something you want to pay money for.

But as Valdark says, as a beginning rough draft initial version (which is what it is), I am very happy.  Sure, there is room for improvement, but that is the entire point of this whole open playtest thing.
Currently I wouldn't buy it. Too much like older editions with Linear Fighters and Quadratic Wizards, vancian Wizards, swingy fights that end in TPKs as much as Wizards totally destroying encounters with their spells.

this

3rd was a old card that got the job done, but needed a lot of stops at the shop. 4th was a sports car that was in most ways a improvment but still had some cracks in the frame that needed to be fixed. 5th is a new body with no engine, looks good at first but wont take you anywhere you are not already.
Insulting someones grammar on a forum is like losing to someone in a drag race and saying they were cheating by having racing stripes. Not only do the two things not relate to each other (the logic behind the person's position, and their grammar) but you sound like an idiot for saying it (and you should, because its really stupid )
I would buy it...but as it stands now, it is still in its early alpha stages. 5e is still in its playtest stage...it's not even a bare skeleton of an edition and it is nowhere near the final publishing stage where it will be released.
Be patient, your favorite stuff might not be in core, but your preferences might come in a module.

I have no problem with the linear fighter-quadratic wizard trope in D&D, and I certainly have no problem with godlike superpowered wizards or Vancian casting in the core system...since I basically like all of those.
Your problems with those things and your suggested solutions may be addressed in a module. You may get what you want in a module or in a alternative form of wizard. In fact, we may BOTH get what we want in this modular format.  5e is still in the early alpha stage.
Maybe the better question is what major features would prevent you from buying it, and two things stick out in my mind.

1. Monster Design

2. Martial Character Design

But it is way to early even to make long lasting judgements on what I have listed.
As it stands now, I wouldn't buy it. The issues with linear Fighters and Quadratic Wizards is one thing, plus I don't like how Fighters are shaping up in general. I loved 4E, but I don't need the 5E fighter to necessarily be exactly like that, though he does need to look something like the Tome of Battle Warblade class, with lots of cool maneuvers and things to make him feel like a competent, super-skilled warrior right from the getgo. This needs to be Core, not another book I have to buy. If it isn't, i'm not buying. We've made too much progress to revert back to the terrible, useless baggage-carrier fresh-off-the-farm meathead Fighter we're seeing right now. 

The reason I say it has to be core is simple - anything not in the PHB is easily excluded by a persnickety DM, and there are a great many who feel like anything not in the PHB is power creep, broken, or just not worth considering. I want it in the core, balanced with and alongside the boring Fighter. Not an extra that will get sidelined in short order.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/23.jpg)

I would have bought the first playtest packet--I loved that.  This second packet is a travesty--except the fighter.  If Combat Superiority started at 2d4 instead of 1d6, it'd be nearly perfect.
I'd probably buy the core books out of collector instinct, but I'd never, ever play it. Though incomplete, if the game is completed in the direction they are currently taking it the result would be a travesty.
...whatever
5E in its current form is free.  Why would I buy it?

I don't play 4E but I bought the PHB.  Buying and playing are two different things. 

When Wotc gets ready to publish material, then I will look into buying IF Wotc:

-Designs a base mechanic that is easy to use, and easily modded for simplicity/complexity then yes, I will buy the PHB and probably the DMG
-Designs, at the very minimum, the core four with a unique mechanic, then I will buy at least the PHB
-Adds a class, background, and specialty design kit, then yes I will buy the DMG
-Publishes Forgotten Realms, no, If they publish other settings as promised, yes.  (I anticipate nothing forgotten realms will give me is worth the price, but I am willing to look at other settings even forgotten realms to make sure I don't need that setting....again)
-If the MM has sweet art, yes, I probably will buy that
-Creates a website that is strongly fan driven and open to posting fan created mods and classes, then I might even subscribe. Dunno

My overall estimated budget - $250-300 for published materials
I will sock away 15 bucks a month for the next little bit to cover that
The overall esitmated group budget - ~$1200

I plan on buying, playing and running 5E. 

If they come out with 6E in four years.  I will just play 5E until I am pushing up daisies.

"The Apollo moon landing is off topic for this thread and this forum. Let's get back on topic." Crazy Monkey

Feel free to give reasons, but please don't start arguments or long discussions on the topic...

No. 

Reason: Because it's about 10% (if that) finished and I don't buy products that aren't finished. 
Why would anybody buy an unfinished game when they can download it for free ?

I don't even see the point in asking this now. What purpose does it serve ?
The question should be 5E isn't finished right now, but assuming it is finished along the same direction you currently see the game taking, would you buy it.
...whatever
I'd certainly buy it as it look like it will be the best edition to satisfy my tabletop group. Most of them are dissastisfied with 4E and find a lot to like about in DDN.

Lokiare is hoping that if he can get a bunch of people to say that they wouldn't buy 5e right now, that the devs will change things more to his liking.
I have no intention of buying a product that is supposedly going to be "free" for the next two years.

Just doesn't make any sense to do so  
Because D&D is D&D, and because I've played since AD&D through all editions with a lot of fun, I will blindly buy the 5th edition when it will come out. As a gamer, I need novelty every so often.

Nonetheless, I'm glad to be part of the development of this new edition.
No, I would not buy this.

Why? Because it isn't a complete game.

I love the direction the game is going but it needs A LOT of work to make it a fully functioning 1-20 game that has the potential to appeal to gamers who love wildly different editions.
Atm no, it's incomplete. But the real dealbreaker for me are the errata. I dont want to see something similar to 4ed errata volume anymore. If DDN will go in that direction i'll drop my support.Simple as that.
DM: Products of MY Imagination ©. Since 1986.
I would have bought the first playtest packet--I loved that.  This second packet is a travesty--except the fighter.  If Combat Superiority started at 2d4 instead of 1d6, it'd be nearly perfect.

Well, I wouldn't have bought playtest 1, but if it was a pick between 1 and 2, I'd go with 1. While 2 DID bring some good things to the table, like Combat Superiority and non-wizard arcane classes, they went in the wrong dirrection (IMO) with dropping hp, adding static modifiers to spell damage and making even writing down skills useless because the rogue always rolls 16+. Until I see an option to ritually sacrifice vacian casting for a method more to my liking, I don't forsee any money leaving my hands for 5e.

Of course not. It's about 5% of a game, and in rough form even that far. Moreover it's too burdened with aspects that don't fit into a pre-3rd edition playstyle with no guidelines as to their removal.

If I can have a largely pre-3rd experience in the end, I'll buy it. If not, I won't.

Agreed in part.

*shakes magic eight ball*

Reply hazy, try again

Yeah, it is a little too early for that.

I like direction Next seems to take. There are questionable things here or there, some stuff that I hope gets changed, stuff that I know I will ignore/ban from the get go, but overall design is to my liking*. If they do it well, I'll buy it and I'll play it.

*On top of my head: less focus on grid combat than 4e (and more mechanical variety between classes), less system mastery needed than 3e (and hopefully less imbalanced), and unified simple math unlike pre-3rd, are all things I like.

No

I like to play casters and I wouldn't play any of the ones presented if it wasn't for the playtest.

If you think my english is bad, just wait until you see my spanish and my italian. Defiling languages is an art.

Currently, I would buy it.  It has the best of older editions, fixed the Linear Fighters vs Quadratic Wizards problem (so far), retained Vancian casting, has exciting (some would say 'swingy') fights that actually contain player risk, and Wizards aren't totally destroying encounters with their spells.
I hate Vancian casting and daily resource management, so I probably won't buy it. If the game was balanced around anything other than adventuring days then I would be interested.
I wouldn't buy it. It's way too deadly for my tastes.

All of the above plus:

Too few classes, I'd expect to see Bard, Barbarian, Druid and Warlord included as a minimum.

Too few races, I'd expect to see Dragonborn, Gnomes and Tieflings included as a minimum.     

Too few modular options, particularly in the case of (though not restricted to) casting systems for Arcane classes, but also lethality, healing, save-or-die etc.

Too much reliance on DM adjudication in the core system.   

In other words, it's a LONG way from a product I'd consider buying right now.    

I'd like to throw my own voice behind this voice.
I don't use emoticons, and I'm also pretty pleasant. So if I say something that's rude or insulting, it's probably a joke.
I would definitely buy it (assuming the price was similar to previous editions). The developers seem to be concerned with all of the issues that I have had with previous editions. I love the streamlined format (especially skills), and the new mechanics and flavor.

Also, based almost entirely on Jon Schindehette's The Future Look of D&D at Gen Con, this might be the first edition in which I actually purchase campaign setting materials.
No, I would not buy an axle and steering wheel. Why would I do that? If I just wait (and submit feedback), fairly soon it will be a complete vehicle, THEN I will decide if it's worth my money to buy. From what I have so far (an axle and a steering wheel), it looks usable, but until the frame is put in place and the engine is properly tested and installed, all I have are a couple of good-looking pieces that might not even look the same to me once the car is finished.

I'm not even sure why someone would ask this question. We have what, 5% of a product? And that 5% is still subject to change over time? I would never be so daft as commit to buying 5% of an unfinished product, especially when the 5% we DO have is subject to change. I cannot imagine any responsible adult committing to anything at this point, aside from participating in the playtest and helping to make it a game we all would want to play.

How'll I put it?

You could hand me 5e and twenty bucks and I'd feel like I overpaid.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.

How'll I put it?

Ouch!  And exactly how I feel.

How'll I put it?

Quite a bit of an overreaction for something that is an unfixed 5-10% complete.

No, because it's free.
Feedback Disclaimer
Yes, I am expressing my opinions (even complaints - le gasp!) about the current iteration of the play-test that we actually have in front of us. No, I'm not going to wait for you to tell me when it's okay to start expressing my concerns (unless you are WotC). (And no, my comments on this forum are not of the same tone or quality as my actual survey feedback.)
A Psion for Next (Playable Draft) A Barbarian for Next (Brainstorming Still)

How'll I put it?

Quite a bit of an overreaction for something that is an unfixed 5-10% complete.

Meh.  The philosophy of "Old School is better than sound mechanics because it is Old School" that they are living and breathing right now doesn't make the next 90-95% seem like it is going to change my viewpoint.
Atm no, it's incomplete. But the real dealbreaker for me are the errata. I dont want to see something similar to 4ed errata volume anymore. If DDN will go in that direction i'll drop my support.Simple as that.

A game not having errata is a very different thing from a game not needing errata. It's a very important difference that many people like to ignore so they can pretend that their game of choice is better than everyone elses.
EVERY DAY IS HORRIBLE POST DAY ON THE D&D FORUMS. Everything makes me ANGRY (ESPECIALLY you, reader)
Wouldn't buy it. Unless things change a lot I won't be buying it at all. After a few sessions of playtesting you couldn't pay me to play it. This is not the edition I'm looking for. 
Yes.

I'm sad to admit that the main reason I play D&D is because it's still the most popular/default fantasy RPG out there.  I want it to be the best that it can be, but the only way I really wouldn't buy would be if it were an absolutely unplayable mess like F.A.T.A.L.
Sign In to post comments