Geist/Spirit deck. How does this look?

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
I played with a version of this deck in my first tournament. Won 2, tied 1, lost 1.
Found a few cards, like Niblis of the Urn, to be pretty invaluable. I rearranged everything and decided on a new iteration based on basically what saved my butt, or turned into wins. 

It's 63 cards.

I found mysel often able to get damage through thanks to Niblis of the Urn
I used Cackling Counterpart to get extra Drogskol Captain into play making my creatures huge.

The gilded lotus was handy for things like feeling of dread or even negate when I was out of mana and had said cards in my hand.

Additions? Subtractions?

Thanks.

Maybe some Doomed Traveler for your 1-drops?
Also Dungeon Geists are very nice and you could also maybe add in Geist-Honored Monk.

Are you using Cloudshift only to protect your creatures from removal? In that case I would go for Faith's Shield instead.
Thanks. Cloudshift change is brilliant.

Would you suggest dungeon geists instead ofn iblis of the breath? 
Cards that could potentially work really well here:

Geist of Saint Traft !!!
Phantasmal Image 2 mana Dungeon geist, gets hexproof from cap'n crunch 
Vapor Snag > unsummon
Dungeon Geist nice beater, fits theme, and it works as a control. win-win-win
Lingering Souls Splash black for the flashback, it's worth it
Mindshrieker Works well, 2 drop
Intangible Virtue This one is a big maybe. You've got a bit of tokens going around, maybe 2-3 of these could help push those tokens over the top

Cards in the list I don't like:
Unsummon Meh
Shriek Geist Milling does nothing for you, really not a great choice 
Gilded Lotus Not worth having. You don't need the ramp or the fixing
Cloudshift You should be moderately consistantly hexproof, don't see the need. Only thing flickerable for other reasons is Dungeon Geist
Negate use  Mana Leak
Safe Passage I feel like your tapping control should keep you from taking too much damage. Maybe Oblivion Ring could work better here.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Sant Traft looks amazing, shame he's $17!

I like that mindshrieker a lot. Definite replacement for shriekgeist it looks like.

I do want to avoid everything going out this rotation.

I'll play with Safe passage vs Oblivion ring. Saef Passage's intent was to prevent direct damage, but that doesn't really seem to be much of an issue these days.
Sant Traft looks amazing, shame he's $17!

I like that mindshrieker a lot. Definite replacement for shriekgeist it looks like.

I do want to avoid everything going out this rotation.

I'll play with Safe passage vs Oblivion ring. Saef Passage's intent was to prevent direct damage, but that doesn't really seem to be much of an issue these days.

RDW is dead, it's all goblins now. And you tap down krenko and you can lol your way to victory.

Even though they rotate, don't criple yourself by not using good cards. Image is understandable since he's like 10 dollars, but Vapor Snag and Mana leak are commons and are worth every penny and then some 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

Good point. Commons are 10c a piece here, worth swapping in even if I only get to play it a few more times.

Aw, I posted a similar deck last week and got no response. Ah well... The only thing you might have to worry about are cards that wipe the field. Hexproof doesn't protect against that from what I understand, as there are spells that avoid targetting and affect everything on the field. It might be something to keep in mind when going against white opponents who can pull Day of Judgment.
If you can put off buying other cards or stuff for a couple of weeks or so and save up, Geist of Saint Traft will be worth every cent, the guy's nutty.

That said, my immediate response to this deck is to get in Traft and make it 60.

-2 Islands
-2 Plains
+2 Glacial Fortress - Worth it, and I think 25 lands is exactly 2 too many for a deck that curves out as low as yours does.

-2 Cackling Counterpart
+2 Geist of Saint Traft

-2 Cloudshift
-1 Gilded Lotus
-2 Safe Passage
-1 Favorable Winds (I hate that autocard forces me to spell 'Favourable' wrong >=[ )
-3 Feeling of Dread(Again, unless experience tells you these are far better for you than I think they are)

That leaves us with 8 spots to fill up.

I would recommend something like

+3 Mana Leak
+3 Oblivion Ring
+2 X(draw card maybe? Another Negate and a Mana Leak perhaps?)
I want to be Cultured.
I'll definitely be throwing oblivion rings in.  
So far feeling of dread has been super useful to keep me alive a few turns until I get the right cards out to make my spirits bigger (or locking down their ability to block.)

Will end up with 4 glacial fortress eventually for sure.

Will keep looking for a good deal on old St Traft too.

thanks.
Haven't found old Saint Traft yet, but here's my new build...
It just feels slow. Like, I'm dead before I can really do anything. Maybe I need less spirits and more spells?

Here's my build (posted a few times, but no real feedback yet...):

I've been considering dropping Feeling of Dread to a 2-of, removing a Evolving Wilds and then adding in 3 Oblivion Rings. Also, when Ponder cycles out, Index is its replacement... ugh...

IMAGE(http://stat.rumandmonkey.com/tests/1/6/5261/20795.jpg)

I have been fiddling around with a deck like this for a very long while. It's evolved quite a bit too.

Early on, it used to revolve around mana dorks and Rancor. I would turn 2 a geist or a Drogskol Captain.

Nowadays it looks something like this:

Creatures - 20
3 Snapcaster Mage
2 Dungeon Geists 
3 Phantasmal Image
4 Drogskol Captain
4 Geist of Saint Traft 
4 Doomed Traveler 

Instants - 8
3 Vapor Snag 
3 Mana Leak 
2 Midnight Haunting 

Sorcery - 3
3 Lingering Souls  

Artifacts - 2
2 Sword of War and Peace

Enchantments - 5
3 Favorable Winds
2 Oblivion Ring

Land  - 22
4 Drowned Catacombs
4 Glacial Fortress
3 Island
1 Swamp
2 Evolving Wilds
1 Plains
4 Seachrome Coast 
2 Moorland Haunt 
1 Vault of the Archangel 

I felt compelled to post because it's very similar to yours. Essentially, it's a combo deck. Drogskol, then phantasmal image. Beat with big flying dudes. Geist with a sword, token gets buffed by Drogskols and the enchantment. It works pretty well.

Only thing is board wipes, and Ratchet Bomb. Those things screw you over hard. And if you don't combo, well...

I wanted to run Delver in there somewhere as well, but I don't feel I run enough instants or sorceries. So Doomed Traveler it was =P

You also definitely need Oblivion Ring. I run 2, but have an additional 2 in my sideboard. You need them for planeswalkers. 

Sign In to post comments