Velicta: What would you first pick?

23 posts / 0 new
Last post
Before we move onto the pirates of Velicta, I randomly decided to fire up MSE's booster generator. and this is what showed up:

Pack 1
Simpleminded Goon (C)

Creature – Ogre Minion
5/3
Greed is anything but subtle.

Officer Brutality (C)

Instant
Officer Brutality deals 10 damage to target attacking creature.
"The law is but brute force in the service of order."
—Judge Mortheon

Unfortunate Coincidence (C)

Instant
Target creature gets -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the amount of damage dealt to its controller this turn.
"End that partnership now or you'll soon find out that Mr. Heinchen's losses will also be your losses."
—Morlogar Vesuvi

Draconic Muscle (C)

Creature – Dragon Minion
3/3
Flying
: Draconic Muscle gets +1/+0 until end of turn. Activate this ability only if you control another Dragon.

Loudmouth Gang (C)

Creature – Ogre Rogue
3/2
Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
The advantage of speaking so loudly is that the shopkeepers don't hear the windows breaking.

Sentry's Doom (C)

Instant
Sentry's Doom deals 2 damage to target creature. If that creature is untapped, Sentry's Doom deals 4 damage to that creature instead.
Violent lives end violently.

Spiked Drink (C)

Instant
Target creature gets -3/-0 until end of turn and doesn't untap during its controller's next untap step.
Niceli poisoners are masters of their art, being able to calculate the time their victims spend incapacitated down to seconds.

Coverer of Tracks (C)

Creature – Snake Warrior
2/2
Flash
When Coverer of Tracks enters the battlefield, target creature you control gains hexproof until end of turn. (It can't be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control.)

Elder Watchman (C)

Creature – Human Soldier
1/7
"I admire his honor. I admire his stand. I admire his will to remain and fight. But I ask whether he is still has what it takes to fight injustice."
—Judge Mortheon

Niceli Jail (C)
Land
Niceli Jail enters the battlefield tapped.
When Niceli Jail enters the battlefield, it deals 1 damage to each player.
: Add to your mana pool.

Maniac of Cutthroat Alley (U)

Creature – Human Rogue
2/2
When Maniac of Cutthroat Alley enters the battlefield, gain control of target creature until end of turn. Untap that creature. It gains haste and is a Rogue in addition to its other types until end of turn.
"Do it for me."

Poisonfang Hulk (U)

Creature – Snake Warrior
4/4
Intimidate (This creature can't be blocked except by artifact creatures and/or creatures that share a color with it.)
Fear is but one's body speaking truely.

Slow Bleeding (U)

Enchantment
At the beginning of your end step, each opponent who was dealt damage this turn loses 1 life.
Most Velictans hope not for an honorable death but for a quick one.

Palace of Justice (R)
Land
Palace of Justice enters the battlefield tapped unless your life total is 20 or greater.
: Add or to your mana pool.

So you're drafting. What would you pick?

Quick primer on Velicta
- Armed and dangerous: the weapons of Velicta. (equipment with abilities)
- The gangs of Velicta. (introduces the pseudo-bloodthirst theme.)
- Planeswalker: Evrin the Infiltrator
- Rogues and scoundrels: Rogue tribal in Velicta. (evasion and the return of prowl)
- The plane's greatest detectives. (introduces the detective mechanic, also: mystery cards)
- Law & Order: the police of Velicta. (white creatures, aggressive, untapped-creatures-matter theme.)
- The Vesuvi crime family. (Dragons and their minions; get better when you reveal Dragon cards from hand.)
- Velicta mechanics.

Some cards shown there may have changed a bit since being posted. The Coins subtheme in the mechanics thread no longer exists.
I have no idea what else is in the set, and since removal is always good in limited, I'll probably pick Sentry's Doom. It is a very strong card. Maniac of Cutthroat Alley and Draconic Muscle are the other cards I considered.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?
Maniac of the cutthroat alley and sentry's doom seems like the strongest, when i have no idea what else in your set. Hulk, Dragon and the white removal spell comes second. 

I expect Loudmouth Gang and Simpleminded Goon to be weaker than they typically are in draft.
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Sentry's Doom, definitely.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

@Simpleminded Goon:
A pricey vanilla, something you never first pick.

@Officer Brutality:
Situational removal that doesn't work when you're ahead.

@Unfortunate Coincidence:
Situational removal that doesn't work when you're behind. Also the -X/-X feels tacky because you can't use it as a combat trick without a burn spell, so it feels no better than X damage.

@Draconic Muscle:
Kinda the same as Goon. Even though it isn't vanilla, it is not exciting and it is expensive.

@Loudmouth Gang:
A solid creature.

@Sentry's Doom:
The best removal so far. Much more efficient and not nearly as situational as the other two removal cards.

@Spiked Drink:
Not very good.

@Coverer of Tracks:
Utility, but it isn't very big and requires you to hold up lots of mana. Just doesn't seem worth it.

@Elder Watchman:
I like walls, but this one is way too expensive.

@Niceli Jail:
I'd rather play a Plains.

@Maniac of Cutthroat Alley:
Seems strong in an aggressive deck. I like it.

@Poisonfang Hulk:
Strong as both a defender and attacker. Like the Gang I really like this card, evasion on big guys is strong.

@Slow Bleeding:
This wouldn't even be good if it activated every turn.

@Palace of Justice:
Good fixing, but not a first pick.

For me the pick is Sentry's Doom, second I'd probably go with Poisonfang Hulk or Maniac of Cutthroat Alley, both strong creatures. I have a little bit of a flavor gripe with Sentry's Doom though. A creature that is attacking every turn isn't really a sentry, so this card should really be a sorcery so it can't hit those creatures.

The betterthen nLightning Bolt obviously.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Sentry's Doom is a really nice first pick.  The Maniac goes second and Poisonfang Hulk goes third. 
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
Incidentally: Sentry's Doom is actually a sorcery (so you can't just throw it for 4 during their precombat main), my mistake. Makes it strictly worse than Flame Slash, but for the set Slash would probably have been too good.

I suppose this doesn't change pick order much?
Incidentally: Sentry's Doom is actually a sorcery (so you can't just throw it for 4 during their precombat main), my mistake. Makes it strictly worse than Flame Slash, but for the set Slash would probably have been too good.

Well it moves from being first pick 95% of the time, to around 75% of the time. (mostly depending on the power of red).
How to Autocard
card: [c]cardname[/c]-> [c]Vampire Nighthawk[/c] -> Vampire Nighthawk
Sentry's Doom is probably still the best one, even without being an instant.
Come check out my friend's youtube channel where he gives bad movies what's coming to them!
You Make the Card
Best Contest Holder 2010 YMtC Idol 9 4th Place
Mafia History
Friendliest Player 2010 Werewolves Invade YMtC!: Town-aligned Rotworm Mass, Survived, Mafia Victory Heroes Mafia: Angela Petrelli, Town-Aligned Undercover Revengeful Mother, Win for Me, Mafia Victory Super Smash Bros. Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Survived, Town Victory Bear Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Lynched Day 1, Mafia Victory YMtC Mafia II: Henry-Stern, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Town Victory, Town MVP Time Fracture Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Nero, the Last Romulan, Lynched Day 3, Borg Victory Touhou Mafia III: Tenshi Hinani, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Mafia 2010: Lynched Day 1, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Dragonball Z Mafia: Goku, Town-Aligned Charismatic Townie, Mafia Victory Quarantined Mafia: Lynched Day 4, J. Walter Weatherman, Infected-Aligned Administrative Assistant, Mr. T (so basically mafia) Victory Glass Box Mafia: Killed Night 2, Icthys, Town-Aligned Networker, Town Victory Battle Royale Mafia: Killed Night 3, Zipperflesh and Dark Stryke Victory Scars of Mirrodin Mafia: Killed Night 3, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Mafia Victory Portal Mafia: Lynched Day 3, Test Subject #2, Mafia-Aligned Rolestopper, Town Victory (that was utter BS) Toxic Waste Mafia: Survived, Violet, Hive (Cult)-Aligned Powerless Taskmaster, Hive Victory PK Hatez You Mafia: Survived, Town-Aligned Goth, Mafia Victory Dreven City: A Wild West Mafia: Town-Aligned "Los Angeles" Reed, One-Shot Vig, Survived, Town Victory (just barely, major props to Just a Cleric) YMtC Mafia III: Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Vampire Mafia: Mafia-Aligned Pander, Mafia Victory Touhou Border Collapse: Bill Cosby, Town-Aligned, Killed Night 1, Mafia Victory Harry Potter Mafia: Argus Filch, Town-Aligned Tracker, Lynched Day 5, Mafia Victory [Basic #5] Bandit Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Borderlands Mafia: Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory eBay Mafia: Mafia-Aligned, Survived, Mafia Victory Full Metal Alchemist Mafia: Alphonse Elric, Town-Aligned Mason, Killed Night 1, Town Victory Sunflowers for Ragnarokio: Lynched Day 3, Town/Just a Cleric/Tevish Szat/Faux-Razor Victory True Blood Mafia: Lynched Day 4, Mafia Victory My Mafia Diary: Skyhunter, Mafia-Aligned Emo, Survived, Flawless Mafia Victory Paper Mario Mafia: Blue Goomba, Town-Aligned Lover, Killed Night 2, Mafia Victory Small Town Mafia: Pigsticker Mafia-Aligned Coward, Killed Night 2, Caveman Mafia and Zipperflesh Victory Stuff on my Desk Mafia: Lotus Cobra, Town-Aligned Vanilla, Survived, Mafia Victory Order of the Chaos Rose Mafia: Lord Dagol Ji'Lovik, Town-Aligned Hypnotist, Mafia Victory, Town MVP Camp Crystal Lake Mafia: Ongoing A Certain Magical Mafia: Killed Night 1, Town-Aligned The Siege of Balignor Mafia: Ongoing, Killed Day 4 Mafia of Ancient Egypt: Replaced in for Murica day 2, Ra, Town-Aligned Charismatic, Town Victory, Town MVP Lord of the Rings Mafia: Replaced in for Dr Demento, Town-Aligned Mason/One-Shot Self-Doc, Town Victory, Town MVP Internet Stars Mafia: Town-Aligned Vanilla, Mafia Victory Mythos Mafia: Ongoing

Please read it again.

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Zokorad, he posted it incorrectly as an instant. However, in his set it is actually a sorcery. Even as a sorcery, it's still the best pick in the given booster.
Normally, I'd say Sentry's Doom, but the other red cards in the pack seem finely playable, and I might worry about the people I'm passing to thinking that red is open, and I'd rather not compete with them for quality red if possible, so probably Brutality.
If Sentry's Doom is a sorcery, then either Maniac of Cutthroat Alley or Poisonfang Hulk.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Maniac or Poisonfang hulk. Sentry's doom is still fine, though.
Sleeping, the jail is actually a free mechanic enabler is Rio's set, so actually has the potential to be very playable.

I think I would go Doom or Hulk, possibly Hulk just due to the volume of red. But I'd probably still want the removal. 
Also Rio if you think it would be worthwhile CKY ran a community draft in the Limited forum with his last set - that was pretty cool.
I'm going to jump on the Sentry's Doom bandwagon, but also because I know a little bit about the other cards in this set, and I'd probably go for a RU rogue tribal, if that were feasible. So, Maniac is a close second.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Also Rio if you think it would be worthwhile CKY ran a community draft in the Limited forum with his last set - that was pretty cool.

Interesting. How was it organized?
I'd go with the Maniac, but I'm always a sucker for Threaten effects.
The World of Eldangard - a three act M:tG block by Fallingman Eldangard Stormfront Ragnarok
Doom. sure it's not flame slash but hey it's still good.

120.6. Some effects replace card draws.

why are you here when NGA exists and is just better

As far as I can tell, the setup for that went on here.
community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...

TEA demon ran he thread for the draft here.
I would probably go with Maniac of Cutthroat Alley. Then again, I don't really know the first thing about drafting.

PORTRAIT OF A PLANESWALKER – Coming October 13th, 2013

IMAGE(http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/385.gif)