[RTR] Guild Profiles (New Info!)

119 posts / 0 new
Last post
Check it out folks!
www.wizards.com/magic/tcg/productarticle...

One for each guild, with a lot of new info!

Images from the quiz

There's probably more, but I have better things to do today than retake the quiz 50 more times to make sure I got them all.
If anyone finds any more, I can put them here in the OP!
Edit: Apparently, there's 30 total. This should be all of them.
And lots of new arts as well~ *reads on*
The Simic is the most intriguing. Not only to they appear to have had a massive culture change, but mysterious Sinkholes?
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Have to say, I don't like the new simic -- they maybe interestingly different, but they've lost a lot of their character and seem like confused, half baked selesnya washouts.

And the 'new' Dimir guildmaster is either Szadek, possessed by Szadek, or Ravel Puzzelwell

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Have to say, I don't like the new simic -- they maybe interestingly different, but they've lost a lot of their character and seem like confused, half baked selesnya washouts.

And the 'new' Dimir guildmaster is either Szadek, possessed by Szadek, or Ravel Puzzelwell

I personally think they have just gotten a better PR department.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)

If you want to get technical, this is a return to their original methods and organization.
You have to remember that Momir Vig perverted the hell out of things... and even before him, they were already WELL off their intended path.
It's interesting that the new Simic is... the old Simic.

Isn't their mission statement as stated here pretty much the original purpose of the Simic guild before Momir decided super plagues and Kaiju would be a better idea.
BTW, anyone tried to see if the guild quizz is BS or not? For some reason I consistently end up in either of the four guilds, Azorius more so than any other.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
BTW, anyone tried to see if the guild quizz is BS or not? For some reason I consistently end up in either of the four guilds, Azorius more so than any other.

Not really, each possible answer was super identifiable to a specific guild, and to a lesser extent certain others. Maybe you just give white answers. I personally got Rakdos.
woho, Teysa is back for the Orzhov! The new Boros seems creepy, a lot darker than in the original series.
woho, Teysa is back for the Orzhov! The new Boros seems creepy, a lot darker than in the original series.

Yeah, just noticed that.
But at the same time, it doesn't say she's living...
OMG
it doesn't say she's living...

A mere technicality.
it doesn't say she's living...

A mere technicality.

Not a technicality, merely not a requisite.

So I just noticed the screwed up the Selesnyans a little. Zomaj didn't attack Vitu Ghazi.
I thought the Grull were the stewards of nature, and their failure led to their current state. What're the Simic doing with that role?
From what I understand it wasn't so much the Gruul's "failure" as much as it was the other nine guilds didn't really give two damns about preserving nature, spread the city, and what little the Gruul had left was cannabalized by the other green guilds.
Leaving them angry and disenfranchised.
1) Dimir as open secret: this is actually kinda how I always saw it.
2) Does it seem like Simic is going to embrace 's more zen side, or am I reading it too aggressively? I'd like that more than the Izzet clone we got the first time around.
Didn't mean their failure was their fault. There was no chance of victory against the combined greed and indifference of the other nine.
The Gruul were charged with protecting the wild places on Ravnica. As a means of Locations and nature preserves.
The Simic were charged with protecting the actual flora and fauna, less concerned with keeping nature intact than making sure nature wasn't wiped out by the city spread.

They were sort of acting at cross paths there. The more powerful the Simic became, the less influence the Gruul were afforded.

The Selesnyans were meant to power the guildpact. So this new purpose is... well, new.
It seems like the guilds have changed a lot over the years. All the old guilds served a certain purpose that kept the city going, now they don't seem to have that type of power and are just loose organizations. If one of the (nongruul) guilds was to completely drop off the map in old ravnica, it would have caused total chaos thoughout the city. Now it seems like nobody would even care if. They are more like seperate countries now instead of being important parts of a system.

The plane is absurdly overpopulated, and thus food supply is really limited, so I imagine the Golgari remain completely essential to Ravnica.

Although not much was said about their role as farmers in this article. Like at all.

That's mostly because this wasn't an article. It was a blurb.

I like the new Simic. They're a lot easier to relate to now. 

Something else I noticed is that the Gruul and the Rakdos were the only ones who didn't get any mention of their redeeming features. I thought the Gruul gave a home for the disenfranchised? And are the Rakdos really always chaotic evil?

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

I think the new Gruul look very simplistic, just barbarians and not at all redeeming; although probably quite fun to play with. Seems to be all the stereotypes of red. The Simic also seem less blue now.
Nice read. The Simic has improved the most which im really happy about since i like the color combo but not the mad scientist guild that it was before(still we dont know everything yet).

Yeah Gruul and Rakdos had their good better sides glossed over but we will hopefully see those when they get their respective Guide articles. Though we did get to see a curvy Rakdos witch in tight leather so im not complaining.

I do wonder if the implications of Borborygmos getting older is a hint that by the end of the block Gruul will have a new Guild leader?
I hope so. I would really like to see the Gruul unite and do a collective organising thing, like include the disenfranchised non-guilded and be the voice of the downtrodden who are damaded by the guild structure. Kind of a grassroots organisation. This could happen if they really get smasged by one or more of the guilds.
I'm going to echo the chorus that says "Simic got worse". It seems most of the guilds are more or less the same, but the Simc changed drastically. But i'll wait for the Planeswalker's guide to Simic before jumping to conclusions. They might still be made scientists, but with a different moral center.

Loving the continuity, from Teysa, to New Prav, to Feather. I can't wait to see what Niv is cooking up, and how that deals with Feather and those mysterious sinkholes. (or even if they are connected).

The Guild i'll be watching is the Golgari. I really like how they are playing up the insects (which were Jarad's specailty), I like that he basically abondoned Svogthir (that makes sense)... but i want to learn more about it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On the Quiz:

Firstly, more artwork, so there's incentive to check it out. (GORGON!)

Secondly, they don't just give you ten options, one per guild. Though some of the questions are transparent if you know about the guilds (But that's not a bad thing if you are new)

Thirdly, the quiz is a nice introduction to Ravnica, it is Ravnica centric.

I got Izzet. (Though I'm Azorius)
… and then, the squirrels came.
@Skibo: I actually like that they've changed. It shows progress of time, and might give us a different view on the color combination. Personally, I would have liked to see more guilds changing direction a little. 

After the official forums lost most of their functionality, a once vibrant community of Vorthos was wiped out.The survivors founded a new place to discuss all things concerning with the art, flavor and storylines of Magic: The Gathering. Come join us.

@Skibo: I actually like that they've changed. It shows progress of time, and might give us a different view on the color combination. Personally, I would have liked to see more guilds changing direction a little. 

Well it comes down to how you look at the guilds. Do you see the Simic as a distinct organization of GU? Or do you see it as the GU guild of Ravnica dispite what it is?

Now i will say that the original Simic were terrible as a GU guild. They were basically Blue scientists studying Green's stuff.

The new take on the Simic seem to be a better adaption of Green and Blue. Holistic merging of blue's science with green's shamanism. A merging of bio-engineering and natural evolution.

I'll have to wait until the planeswalker's guide to the Simic to fully get a picture on the Simic. This is just a blurb, alot of information is probably left out. THey might be playing up the differences for this to get people up to date with the guild.
I hated the old Simic. These new ones, however, seem very interesting, if they're indeed playing the shamanistic aspect.

I probably will be disappointed, but I like their new found spirituality. / as a colour mixture reminds me of greek philosophers an shamans, not mad-scientists.
IMAGE(http://www.wizards.com/global/images/mtgcom_daily_mc52_picMain_en.jpg)IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/73821e61e013eadf56a8e4e2226d89a3.jpg?v=90000)
Man, all the new art is making me really sad that I have to wait until Gatecrash to see the Dimir. ):

Still looking forward to Golgari and Rakdos, though. I always thought the flavor aspects of the Golgari were really interesting. And while I like the "carnival" thing the Rakdos have, I'm mostly interested in that guild for gameplay reasons.

I'm also very curious to see how the blue side of Simic will be represented. Back when it was a mad scientist guild it was mostly "blue = scientists, green = results of experiments," but now the guild is much more nature focused. We'll have to wait a while to get much more info on that, though. Sigh. 

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

Something else I noticed is that the Gruul and the Rakdos were the only ones who didn't get any mention of their redeeming features. I thought the Gruul gave a home for the disenfranchised? And are the Rakdos really always chaotic evil?

It's a blurb, so a lot of details are missed, especially since only one paragraph really applies to the entire guild. Trust me, the Gruul will not lose their flavor as a gang of the disenfranchised and former slaves unless the Scab-Clan suddenly cease to exist.
I got Simic (or Izzet, Golgari, or Dimir). w00t! I'm the broken color!

Weren't the Dimir intended to test the Guildpact? (Their role in Ravnican society is, nobody knows they exist.)

I didn't know Ravnica had merfolk, but they make sense in Simic more than the other guilds.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I personally found the original Simic much more relatable. I mean, there actual actions are pretty dispicable, but I understand the drive to improve life as opposed to merely safeguarding it. There should have been more of a balance between the two, but hey that is Ravnica.

Also, am I the only person who thinks that this new Simic regime is just a veneer coating?  Mysterious Sinkholes (that I bet no one else can access), isolated nature preserves? (The fact that they show up in the set called Gatecrash).
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Weren't the Dimir intended to test the Guildpact? (Their role in Ravnican society is, nobody knows they exist.)

The Dimir were meant to destroy the guildpact. The general populous knowing about them was not part of thier role, it was just a way for Szadek to have control. (One of the clauses in the guildpact is that the existance of a tenth siginatary must remain secret).

Of course the guildpact is gone, so the guilds don't have jobs anymore. Or at least, they are no longer magically compelled to serve the population.

I didn't know Ravnica had merfolk, but they make sense in Simic more than the other guilds.

The merfolk might have come up from those mysterious sinkholes, or they might have always been there, but never mentioned (Ravnica had alot of obscure races).
(Ravnica had alot of obscure races).

That just reminded me. Totally random question for people who remember story details better than I do: Weren't there like, half-djinn half-humans in one of the books at one point?

IMAGE(http://steamsignature.com/status/default/76561197995631463.png) No longer a commander as of 7/29/13.

I'm surprised by how totally unrecognizable the Simic are. Can't wait to read more about them.
Known as Blitzer on most forums. Despite the username, I am male. Both sex AND gender.
(Ravnica had alot of obscure races).

That just reminded me. Totally random question for people who remember story details better than I do: Weren't there like, half-djinn half-humans in one of the books at one point?

Yes and no.
All the Izzet djinn were hybrid beings. The true djinn and efreet were too powerful and volatile for even the guildpact to rein in.
Which explains why the dragon who wiped out all the other dragons was put in charge of them.
Hybrid how?

In b4 Djinn Illuminatus

Hybrid how?

In b4 Djinn Illuminatus

It wasn't explored.

Probably the same way Rakdos had him some kids.