Power description: Mark vs. Aegis Mark

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello,

I am playing a swordmage and some of my powers say that it marks the target with my swordmage aegis and some just say it marks them.  Do these all mean to mark them with my aegis?  Is anytime that I mark someone considered a mark with my aegis?

For example, is Dual Lightning Strike marking my targets with my aegis?

Thanks!
When it just says "mark" it is discussing the generic Marked condition. You can't enforce this, like you can Aegis Marks.
Take it as you will, but Aegis of Ensnarement is the only one that specifies "Marked by this power"  The other's just say "If your marked target..."

The Aegis' are how you mark targets, the punishment comes into play when the marked target does something.  So, by the wording of some of these individual powers, the manner in which you marked the target doesn't matter.  If you've somehow managed to mark 5 targets, your Aegis of shielding, as written, will work against any of them, to the limit of one immediate interrupt per round.

Of course, it could be that these two (assault/shielding) are mistaken, and they are meant to be worded like Ensnarement, in which case they only work against targets marked by this power
"Five million Cybermen, easy. One Doctor? NOW you're scared!" - Rose Tyler
Take it as you will, but Aegis of Ensnarement is the only one that specifies "Marked by this power"  The other's just say "If your marked target..."

The Aegis' are how you mark targets, the punishment comes into play when the marked target does something.  So, by the wording of some of these individual powers, the manner in which you marked the target doesn't matter.  If you've somehow managed to mark 5 targets, your Aegis of shielding, as written, will work against any of them, to the limit of one immediate interrupt per round.

Of course, it could be that these two (assault/shielding) are mistaken, and they are meant to be worded like Ensnarement, in which case they only work against targets marked by this power

The three powers are meant to work the same: you use your Aegis power and it places a Mark on a target.  If that target is within 10 squares of you and violates the mark, something happens, based on which Aegis you used.  If you happen to have another way to mark things (a power that places a mark or MC Paladin, for instance) this is *not* the same as you using your Aegis.  It will *not* trigger your Aegis if a target marked by some other power violates that mark, unless the other power specifically said that the target is marked by your Aegis.
"your target" aka the target of the Aegis power

generic marks do not trigger aegis punishments
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition

IMAGE(http://i.imgur.com/a0c3K.png)

So you guys think that if I use this skill, the way it is worded, I would not be able to use my Aegis of Assault on either two targets if they hit another party member?  They only get -2 to hit?
Unless you are a fighter/battlemind/warden then your mark only gives -2 to hit anyone other than you.  Unless the power states that you mark the target with your aegis, then it is a regular mark and your swordmage mark enforcement abilities don't work.

So you guys think that if I use this skill, the way it is worded, I would not be able to use my Aegis of Assault on either two targets if they hit another party member?  They only get -2 to hit?

Correct.  Compare that to the Swordmage power, Falcon's Mark, from Arcane Power.  It says on a hit that you mark the target.  However, if you have the Aegis of Ensnarement, you can instead mark it with your Aegis of Ensnarement feature.

Correct.  Compare that to the Swordmage power, Falcon's Mark, from Arcane Power.  It says on a hit that you mark the target.  However, if you have the Aegis of Ensnarement, you can instead mark it with your Aegis of Ensnarement feature.

^

This.  There are tons of powers that specifically say you mark with your Aegis, as compared to simply Marked.  There is a difference.  Most importantly, the punishment mechanism is contained in the Aegis power itself, and not a generic feature.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition