Speed Magic

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
I've always felt that drawing one card a turn is just plain boring and can often lead to topdeck wars.

My proposed format is this: rather than 1 card, you draw 2 cards during each of your draw steps.

Opening hand size is 5.

I believe this would lead to much more dynamic games than we currently have. More options every turn - more interesting games.
I'm going to question your credibility because you stated the game isn't dynamic in its current form. 
I'm going to question your credibility because you stated the game isn't dynamic in its current form. 

Well it certainly can be dynamic, but often times you topdeck a card and its a land. Its essentially a running out of fuel, and the only way to replenish is to use card drawing effects.

Why do you think Jace the Mindscuptor, Brainstorm, Dark Confidant, tutors ect are all so damn amazing and valued so highly? Being able to get more gas wins games.

Now in this format, where each player draws 2, card drawing abilities are not nearly as strong. More emphasis is placed on battling your opponent rather than hoarding of resources. I just think it would be an interesting thing to try out.
you do realize how much of an advantage burn decks would have in this kind of format????? Guy I know said that origonally when magic started it was 40 cards minimum and they increased it to 60 because of burn decks (least that was what i was told)
>reminder to self< Best not to argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and then beat you with experience
you do realize how much of an advantage burn decks would have in this kind of format????? Guy I know said that origonally when magic started it was 40 cards minimum and they increased it to 60 because of burn decks (least that was what i was told)

Burn isn't as good as it used to be.
You want speed magic? Play with ten second turn limits.

L1 Judge

I hear winning on turn 3 at the earliest with turn 4 being pretty consistant is pretty good.

And thus his comment.

He did not say that "Burn is a broken deck that is amazig"

He pointed out that in the format that you propose, Burn (and other speed based decks by extension) would be the best decks as they rely on tempo.

Yes, control based decks would also gain an advantage by haveing more answers but not to the same degree that Burn would in the eternals.

I would also like to take this opportunity to point out that if you are constantly topdecking land then you probably need to work on your deckbuilding skills as landfloods are as much a deckbuilding error as manascrews.  The best decks can have them but they should be the exception not the rule.

Also, on a final note, if you think the game is too slow, thats also your deck.  I have decks that win consistantly on turns two and three.  Outside of the power nine you really cannot get much faster decks. 
100th post 29/01/12 500th post 19/05/12 1000th post 19/07/12 How many planeswalkers does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
Show
Better question, what does Nicol Bolas want with the lightbulb?
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/25ceed5d20286936a2014d5e9a9026d2.jpg?v=90000)
sure, why not. house rule is house rule.
marvel vs system tcg works like this. starting hand size is 4 and you draw 2 cards on your turn.
it actually kind of makes sense because 2 = 1 land 1 spell 
I've always felt that drawing one card a turn is just plain boring and can often lead to topdeck wars.

I agree, which is why I always strive to run some form of draw in my decks, just to avoid this situation.   

Alternatively, I guess it could be argued that enough landfetch in the deck means the only cards you'll draw are business spells.

Besides, drawing two by default does skew the game in favor of decks that need speed.

Still, it is your houserule.

Cheers!

A shout out to Gaming Grounds in Kent, Ohio and Gamers N Geeks in Mobile, Alabama. www.zombiehunters.org for all your preparation needs. http://shtfschool.com/ - why prepping is useful, from one who has been there.
Sign In to post comments