Forgotten Realms World Bible

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
At Gen Con's The Future Look of D&D Seminar, Jon Schindehette, the Senior Creative Director for Dungeons & Dragons, had a discussion about the future look of Dungeons & Dragons, and Forgotten Realms World Bible, a project started before D&D Next. This book will not only be have pictures, but words, FR Legends & Lore, traditions, fashions etc..

A video about the project is shown to the public (from 12:05 - 14:20 min), featuring many game designers and freelance authors and discuss the project's direction. If someone has a direct link to this sneek peek, please let me know and i will post it in the OP.

What do you think about this Bible ?

The Future Look of D&D (Part 1)

The Future Look of D&D (Part 2)

Yan
Montréal, Canada
@Plaguescarred on twitter

This is just a fantastic idea, and I love it. I always thought it was a bit weird why you have so many cultures in Faerun apparently, and only with a few of them, can you tell who they are by their attire (like Thayans, Mulhorandi, Calishites, Uthgardt tribes, etc).

The artwork shown, looks very good and realistic. A big improvement since 4E.
I am pleased with what I see... so far.

Crazed undead horror posing as a noble and heroic forum poster!

Some good pointers for the fellow hobbyist!:

• KEEP D&D ALIVE, END EDITION WARS!
  • RESPECT PEOPLES' PREFERENCES
  • JUST ENJOY THE GAME!
I finally got a chance to watch this video. I really like the idea of this bible, using a lore-based approach to defining the visual styles of the cultures in the Realms.

I am actually really excited by this idea. Please Do It! 

My approach to the NPCs of previous editions.

Show
I always saw the High Level NPCs as shepherds of the Realms not its defenders. Making sure that not too many sheep were lost as they milled around (as they are wont to do) and bringing on the young'uns into the job. In that way a shepherd never has time to go and hunt down all of the wolves but is pretty dashed effective at keeping them away from the sheep when they rear their heads.
"It was a puzzle why things were always dragged kicking and screaming. No one ever seemed to want to, for example, lead them gently by the hand." - Terry Pratchett
i love this. a question though, are we going to be able to buy this and how much might it be?

If I understand this correctly, the world bible is not going to be for sale, but instead be a required reference for people that want to liscence the Forgotten Realms.  Examples would be comic books, video games, and toys.

It would probably be more valuable as a production reference rather than a gaming reference.

I only wish Marvel Comics would use one for their writers...

CAMRA preserves and protects real ale from the homogenization of modern beer production. D&D Grognards are the CAMRA of D&D!
Sounds like it would be a pretty damned handy gaming reference to me... I've been wanting something like it for years now.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Sounds like a cool product, I'd buy it.
This is definitely something I'd buy, if they ever decide to make it available to consumers.

I'd prefer to have it in its entirety, rather than piecemeal via DDI, or whatnot, and would be willing to pay for a weighty tome.

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Sadly, I can practically guarantee that this will be an internal document that will never be sold.

So let's find some really good hackers to get into the WotC's servers and get us all a copy. (And, yes, that it said in jest.)
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
I can practically guarantee that this will be an internal document that will never be sold.

Why though? It seems like the exact sort of thing I would buy. Is it not a good product idea compared to the other things they've published?

I can practically guarantee that this will be an internal document that will never be sold.

Why though? It seems like the exact sort of thing I would buy. Is it not a good product idea compared to the other things they've published?

I guess if it would be more fanacially viable to license and increase brand value or would it cheapen the brand to just sell it to individuals? Or Both? This is what they would need to answer before deciding how to sell and market this.
During the presentation, Jon Schindehette did say that the bosses (can't remember the exact context), upon seeing the FR Bible in-progress, said "This stuff is amazing. We have to get this into our customers' hands".

I'd love to see them do so in one form or another. As I said before, I'd pay a hefty sum for a huge FR reference like this. I think of the Ptolus supplement. That was 700+ pages, if I recall correctly, and I paid a good amount for it. It was worth every penny.

A visual guide like the one they are creating, a reference for the myriad peoples and cultures of the FR, that would be epic. I'd be willing to pay for it.

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

FWIW a consumer version of the Forgotten Realms World Bible was mentioned in the most recent Dragon's-Eye View column.

Jon Schindehette: Each of them is invested in D&D and has been bugging me to tell them when they will be able to buy some kind of consumer version of the Forgotten Realms World Bible (not any time soon).

Yan
Montréal, Canada

Not anytime soon!?

Bummer.
I survived Section 4 and all I got was this lousy sig Off-topic and going downhill from there
Well, considering D&D Next is not coming out anytime soon neither i guess its understandable Wink

Yan
Montréal, Canada

No idea.

There was talk about the same sort of product during the 2E days and nothing happened.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom