DotP iPad Tourny 2: Exalted Payback

244 posts / 0 new
Last post
Well, our tournament is underway. I will update here to keep people apprised of scoring. If anyone wants to see the master Excel file, shoot me a PM.

Players and deck choices (GC names are the same as usernames unless otherwise noted):

Musicologynut (GC: Musicologynut85): Crosswinds, Peacekeepers, Born of Flame
UnSurreal: Born of Flame, Crosswinds, Goblin Gangland
NimNams (GC NimyL): Obedient Dead, Celestial Light, Exalted Darkness
ShinHitokiri (GC Shin Hitokiri): Crosswinds, Goblin Gangland, Obedient Dead
Pixillate: Obedient Dead, Celestial Light, Pack Instinct
Squinter: Pack Instinct, Goblin Gangland, Obedient Dead
killabkilledb: Obedient Dead, Dream Puppets, Exalted Dead
Thornbloom(GC ttswayne): Crosswinds, Ancient Wilds, Peacekeepers
Psmoore: Ancient Wilds, Celestial Light, and Goblin Gangland
Psmoore4: Dream Puppets, Exalted Darkness, Celestial Light
Schwabadoobi:Obediant Dead, Goblin Gangland, Dream Puppets
NGC 6543: Pack Instinct, Obedient Dead, PeaceKeepers
Smalleyda: Ancient Wilds, Peacekeepers, Obedient Dead
Randoramma: Exalted Darkness, Born of Flame, and Obedient Dead
Odoniano: Obedient Dead, Crosswinds, Pack Instinct
lawsy2003 pinoymtg: Obedient Dead, Goblin Gangland, Crosswinds

Scores/Opponents -- current pairings are in parenthases:

Musicologynut (2,2) -- Lawsy2003, Psmoore, (Unsurreal)
UnSurreal (2,4) -- Odoniano, Psmoore4, (Musicologynut)
NimNams (4,4) -- Randoramma, NCG 9543, (Schwabadoobie)
ShinHitokiri (4,6)-- Smalleyda, Schwabadoobie, (Odoniano)
Pixellate (3,4) -- NCG 9543, Randoramma, (Killabkilledb)
Squinter (1,6) -- Schwabadoobie, Smalleyda, (NCG 9543)
Killabkilledb (4,2) -- Psmoore, Lawsy2003, (Pixllate)
Thornbloom (3,4) -- Psmoore4, Odoniano, (Lawsy2003)
Psmoore (0,8) -- Killabkilledb, Musicologynut, (Psmoore4)
Psmoore4 (0,5) -- Thornbloom, UnSurreal, (Psmoore)
Schwabadoobie (4,5) -- Squinter, Shinhitokiri, (NimNams)
NCG 9543 (2,7) -- Pixellate, NimNams, (Squinter)
Smalleyda (2,5) -- ShinHitokiri, Squinter, (Randoramma)
Randorama (2,7) -- NimNams, Pixllate, (Smalleyda)
Odoniano (4,5) -- UnSurreal, Thornbloom, (Shinhitokiri)
Lawsy2003 (2,6) -- Musicologynut, Killabkilledb, (Thornbloom)

About scoring:

Each game is worth one point. Pairings are done based on points with a perference towards new pairings. The second score is used to determine standings withing groups of people who are at the same point value, this score is calculated by adding the scores of a player's opponents. This is used to weight early pairings against uneven opponents or help decide pairings when there are an uneven number of players with the same score.

The secondary score helps us know that as of the second round Psmoore (against Killabkilledb) probably -- statistically speaking -- had a tougher opponent in his first round than Musicologynut (against Lawsy did, even though they both lost 0-2.
I'm in. "UnSurreal"

Decks: Born of Flame, Crosswinds, Goblin Gangland

=)
I'm down.

NimNams
Decks: Obedient Dead, Celestial Light, Pack Instinct
I will play:

Shin Hitokiri
Decks: Peacekeepers, Goblin Gangland, Obedient Dead, Crosswinds

Haven't played on Ipad for a while after loosing all data. Just need to know how to accept/send invites and I'll be good to go.
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
Pixillate
Obedient Dead, Celestial Light, Pack Instinct

If anyone's around for some informal play tonight, send me an invite! 
GG's Musicologynut! Really close first game there.
I'm in, I'll list my three decks soon.....contemplating what is best in this revised format...

Hi! I'll play

GCID: Squinter
Decks: Pack Instinct, Goblin Gangland, Obedient Dead

GC ID killabkilledb

Obedient Dead
Dream Puppets
Exalted Dead

I just better not get forced to play goblins with my DP deck

The third round should be supremely competitive since each player knows what deck the other is using....evne the second is at 50%....
Count me in if there is room.  GC ID "ttswayne".

EDIT: confirmed deck list - Crosswinds, AW and PK.

The third round should be supremely competitive since each player knows what deck the other is using....evne the second is at 50%....

The trick though is that both parties in the third round will know eachother's decks, so I expect that everyone will save their most flexible or strongest deck for that match-up. Then again, in Swiss it is hard to predict who your match-ups will be.

Those third-round match reports will be really interesting to hear.
GG's Musicologynut! Really close first game there.

Yeah, I've been playing too much Crosswinds lately. I need to be much more aggressive with BoF. GG, I'm looking forward to this.
If anyone else wants to play some warm up matches today, let's play!  (GC: Pixillate)
My son Billy and I will both in again. 

GC:  Psmoore
GC: Psmoore4
What is a Swiss format?
Killa - its where you play someone and get points based on if you win or lose, then you play someone on the same points of you. This keeps going for a predetermined amount of rounds then the top x (usually top 8) players get cut to a knockout stage
A Swiss format is an accelerated version of a round robin where each round's pairings are done based on each player's win:loss ratio. It means that you are more likely to play against people around-about your own skill level, and if you have a bad/unlucky game then you still have a shot at making a good showing.
lawsy2003 pinoymtg
OD, GG & Crosswinds
is the iPad version even playable anymore? I spent like 15 minutes trying to get into a game and when I finally did, and on turn 2 "game is syncing. please wait" followed by "opponent has been replaced with AI"

is it just me?
is the iPad version even playable anymore? I spent like 15 minutes trying to get into a game and when I finally did, and on turn 2 "game is syncing. please wait" followed by "opponent has been replaced with AI"

is it just me?

You or your opponent probably had a bad internet connection. When I play against random people I usually get to where I can drop a WinCon and then there is a long problem and suddenly I'm playing against the AI... there seem to be a lot of people who just ragequit when they lose.
I want in on this. I am pretty bad at the game center friends thing, but I will make it work.

GC: BeerGuyEd

Decks: OD, GG, DP

EDIT: I am up for matches whenever I am playing for the most part so anyone feel free to add me and invite whenever.  First Post and edit out of the way.
I'd like to swap out Peacekeepers for Crosswinds please. Also, will sideboarding be allowed between matches?
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Those who break the rules are considered scum; but those who would betray and abandon even one of their friends, are worst than scum(Kakashi Hatake/Originally Obito Uchiha/Tobi).
NimNams's iPad tourny was such a hit, we have decided to go again.  For those of you who want a rematch or didn't even get in: now is the time to sign up!...."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />

I'm in.  "NGC 6543"

Decks: Pack Instinct, Obedient Dead, PeaceKeepers
Count me in.  GC:  smalleyda

Decks:  Ancient Wilds, Peacekeepers, and not sure of third just yet.  Will update when I pick the third.
I'd like to swap out Peacekeepers for Crosswinds please. Also, will sideboarding be allowed between matches?

I think side boarding in between games should be allowed as it keeps the games much more interesting and gives the underdog deck a little bit of fight.
I will use:  Ancient Wilds, Celestial Light, and Goblin Gangland (GC:  psmoore)

Billy will use:  Dream Puppets, Exalted Darkness, Celestial Light (GC: psmoore4)

If there's time I'd like to get in.  My question is how long to you have to play the round, like a week? Found most details from NimNam's threadsave this.  Thanks!
GCID = Randoramma
Decks = Exalted Darkness, Born of Flame, and Obedient Dead.

I think side boarding in between games should be allowed as it keeps the games much more interesting and gives the underdog deck a little bit of fight.

Sideboarding on the iPad is a real PITA, since you'd have to drop the session to get into the Deck Manager.  Getting connected with your opponent once is hard enough, and you want to do it 3 times for each match, not to mention some random amount of wait time in between, with very poor options for communicating to your opponent during that time?  I'm completely against that. 

Plus, with the limited deck choices, AND the requirement that one deck not be used twice until they are all used, you have a much better ability to ready your deck ahead of time for what you expect to face.  No system is going to be perfect, but if we all use the same rules, we're at least all in the same boat.  And I for one, would much rather play my matches in less time and with less headaches.

Sideboarding on the iPad is a real PITA, since you'd have to drop the session to get into the Deck Manager.  Getting connected with your opponent once is hard enough, and you want to do it 3 times for each match, not to mention some random amount of wait time in between, with very poor options for communicating to your opponent during that time?  I'm completely against that.

I tend to agree. 
Me too.
Me too.  It's a PITA to even connect to play one game most days let alone disconnecting to change cards too.
I vote for no sidedecking.
If we're not sideboarding anyway, we could play a similar format where players choose a different deck (no repeats) for each game of the match.

Example:
Player 1's decks: Obedient Dead, Goblin Gangland, and Crosswinds 
Player 2's decks: Goblin Gangland, Peacekeepers, Pack Instinct

Game 1: Crosswinds vs. Peacekeepers
Game 2: Goblin Gangland vs. Pack Instinct
Game 3: Obedient Dead vs. Goblin Gangland

Much more exciting than Crosswinds vs. Peacekeepers for three games with no sideboarding, if you ask me! We wouldn't need to regulate the week-to-week deck usage either, since the variety of play is built in.
Since we haven't started yet, is it too late to change one of my decks? I'd love to swap out Pack Instinct for Exalted Darkness.
I think the first post said we have until wednesday to change decks so you should be good.

Do we only have 10 players this time?
Arghh! I've been offline for a few days and I missed this post. Is it too late to enter?

If possible, I'd been playing Obedient Dead, Crosswinds and Pack Instinct. If not, I'll wait for the next tourney.

Thx! 
Just out of curiosity why would you take away sideboarding? I find it is a great way to increase the skill level of the tourney
The fact that you're asking... I'm going to guess you don't play on the iPad. =)
Just out of curiosity why would you take away sideboarding? I find it is a great way to increase the skill level of the tourney

Definitely is but the problem is many of us have a lot of trouble connecting via game center and coordinating times when we are on/home. Half the time the invitations don't work and you have to restart your ipad...there is no knowing if your opponent is even there through gamecenter, etc...We end up emailing and pming through here and it becomes somewhat of a pain and all this is after your coordinate your schedules, sometimes with someone from across the world in a different time zone and sometimes life interuptions lead to reschedling... etc...

At one point I thought about exchanging cell numbers with my opponent and texting when we got on and at what time. But there may be some minors here so I don't want the pleasure of mommy finding the number of some stranger on the internet so I opted away from that

Also, sideboarding a new deck vs a new deck seems sort of negligible. It'd be one thing to include a card like Mark of Asylum when you know you're going against BoF but when your choices are BoF or AW then it's just a 50/50 shot.
Okay, this is final call for deck lists and entrats. I'll announce the pairings for the first round tomorrow.

I'd love to do sideboarding, but I think that it is more trouble than it is worth; and I think that with the limited format of these decks, it is less tactically advantageous than it would be in paper magic (I may be wrong, but that has been my impression).

As far as rotating decks for each game, the reason to do 2-of-3 rounds with the same decks is to give each pairing a good shot of producing a solid winner. It is possible that I could beat a world-class champion once through blind luck, but if I have to do it twice it reduces the statistical likelyhood of my winning through sheer, blind luck. I did consider have players play with all three decks for the three games of each round, and someone might consider that in a future tournament.

With 16 players, you can do a Swiss tourney in 4 rounds, but I might tack on a couple of extra rounds so everyone can get some more play-time in and a little extra chance to improve their standings. We'll see where we are at the end of round 4.
Sign In to post comments