Scared of FNM first impressions.

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I'm a 12 year old guy that really would love to go to FNM. But, I have a problem; first impresions. I am really scared that I will be considered a child since of my age. But, that isn't my biggest worry, my friend is. I have a fried which is one year younger then I, and he's a sqeaker. I don't want to be known as a child, but I am a very serious player, and he isn't really. He's also not big into computers and the internet as I, so he wouldn't get memes. I'm really embarrased of him, if that's the way to put it. But, I did attempt to go today, but there was a big suprise when I came to pick him up; he had a friend who wanted to come. I really was nervous of him too, since he was 9 and he very annoying on the drive to our LGS. We came in, and noticed the older genetlemen. I was happy to see we got there late, but we are going to the begginer's tourny tommorow. I am afraid that he will bring his friend again, and I would be embarrased when they start to be annoying the other people there. I need your opnion here, am I just being paranoid?
You're going to be annoying and everyone will hate you. It just goes with your age. Get over it.
Try not to crack jokes or be a smarty-pants. Just act like a respectable person and you will be taken more seriously than you otherwise would, just know that at your age, inquisitive/questioning = annoying, just play.
Show up, play, have fun.  If you beat people consistently they may begin to respect you.  

"Go, then. There are other worlds than these." -- Stephen King, The Gunslinger

Please feel free to copy this message into your sig.

Part of life is making choices that inevitably require you to face your fears. Might as well go with it now, rather than avoid it now and hurt yourself later.
Show up, play, have fun.  If you beat people consistently they may begin to respect you.  

Thanks for the actual helpful criticism. But, I think I won't beat a person with my white/blue aggro deck. ;)

Thanks for the actual helpful criticism. But, I think I won't beat a person with my white/blue aggro deck. ;)

You might if they play your friend first and they think you are just as bad as he is. They will already be underestimating you because of your age.
I think there was only 1 person OLDER than you at the FNM I went ot...

Hi, I'm a 12 year old guy that really would love to go to FNM. But, I have a problem; first impresions. I am really scared that I will be considered a child since of my age. But, that isn't my biggest worry, my friend is. I have a fried which is one year younger then I, and he's a sqeaker. I don't want to be known as a child, but I am a very serious player, and he isn't really. He's also not big into computers and the internet as I, so he wouldn't get memes. I'm really embarrased of him, if that's the way to put it. But, I did attempt to go today, but there was a big suprise when I came to pick him up; he had a friend who wanted to come. I really was nervous of him too, since he was 9 and he very annoying on the drive to our LGS. We came in, and noticed the older genetlemen. I was happy to see we got there late, but we are going to the begginer's tourny tommorow. I am afraid that he will bring his friend again, and I would be embarrased when they start to be annoying the other people there. I need your opnion here, am I just being paranoid?

Judging by the way that you're conducting yourself here, I would say that you have nothing to worry about. I would never have guessed that you were 12 unless you told us so.

Your friends might be a different story though, but you can't be responsible for the actions of others. When you're older you'll have the freedom to avoid people that you find embarrassing.

But most importantly, relax, have fun, and don't act like an idiot!

Also, pay attention and take the game seriously No one wants to play an opponent who can't focus and doesn't understand the game.
IMAGE(http://www.spritestitch.com/forum/images/ranks/rank7mario.gif)
I have a fried which is one year younger then I, and he's a sqeaker.

If people are going to be bothered because someone has a "squeaky" voice it's their own damn problem really. "Ooo, you have a squeaky voice and I don't; you're obviously not worth my time because I managed to be born earlier and achieve puberty, and now laugh at sexual innuendo instead of at farts.”

(I assume that's what's meant by squeaker, if it's not... nevermind)
My advice: don't worry so much about being embarrassed. I may sound like an old fart when I say this--I'm not really all that old--but your situation isn't uncommon; kids and teenagers often worry a great deal about what other people think of them and get really embarrassed when they think someone might see you as...well...young. You want to be seen as responsible and grown-up, and you're embarrassed because you think people will think you're like your friend--young and inexperienced. But there's no reason for you to worry, because nobody else really cares how grown-up you are or aren't. There's nothing wrong with being young. Everybody's been there. Only young people worry about whether or not other people think they're grown-up.

Go anyway. If your friend brings along his other friend, so what? As far as anyone else is concerned, it's just one more person to play against.

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

laugh at sexual innuendo instead of at farts

Farts will always be funny!

Regarding the question, I played a younger boy at the M13 pre release (possibly younger than 12) and he was very well mannered and fine to play against.  He hadn't quite grasped some aspects of the game like priority and how to play certain spells, but he conducted himself well and we had a good game.  As long as you give your attention to the game, don't distract other players from their games and talk to people at appropriate times on appropriate subjects no one should think less of you because of your age.

Cheers
FNM can be a tricky environment by design.  Some stores are cutthroat, competitive and can be unwelcoming to new players.  Other stores, especially new ones, are havens for new players.  The best stores have elements of both.  Once you learn the basics of the game, playing FNM at a good store is a wise move.  The stores I play in have players of all ages.  I just turned thirty, but the age range of my store's crowd ranges from 12 to mid 50s.  A player's age never, ever concerns me.  What does concern me is a player's maturity, focus and attitude.

Trust me, most if not all of those players don't care how old you are.  Don't let it get to you.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

I have a fried which is one year younger then I, and he's a sqeaker.

If people are going to be bothered because someone has a "squeaky" voice it's their own damn problem really. "Ooo, you have a squeaky voice and I don't; you're obviously not worth my time because I managed to be born earlier and achieve puberty, and now laugh at sexual innuendo instead of at farts.”

(I assume that's what's meant by squeaker, if it's not... nevermind)

I assume squeaky might even mean his voice is cracking. But yeah, it's not like there aren't a lot of things like this.

I was eleven when I started playing Magic. I started winning constructed tournaments about six months after that. My first limited wins were later. (Guess which creature delivered my first first-place win in a draft.)
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I would say try not to be funny.  I don't know your sense of humor but it might clash with those of older folks.  Other than that, as long as you're not being obnoxious, no one cares how young you are.  Don't worry!
Thanks for every reply, I never knew poeple could answer this so well. But, the porblem is not with myself, it's with my friend and his friend. His friend doesn't eeven know how to play Magic, but still wants to go and play there. Plus, I'll feel very terrible if I pull a douche move by not letting him come, which will result of scoulding of my parents and my friend.
Thanks for every reply, I never knew poeple could answer this so well. But, the porblem is not with myself, it's with my friend and his friend. His friend doesn't eeven know how to play Magic, but still wants to go and play there. Plus, I'll feel very terrible if I pull a douche move by not letting him come, which will result of scoulding of my parents and my friend.

Try teaching him.  If he's that inexperienced, he shouldn't participate in a tournament.  Matches are timed, which means your friend's potential opponents will be playing to win, and shouldn't be required to provide a tutorial.  As nice as anyone may be, you can only take advantage of someone's good will and patience for so long.  Unless you can get your friend up to speed, your other friend and your parents need to understand the FNM environment.

University of Charleston School of Pharmacy, Class of 2016

My Peasant Cube: A Cube for the Commoners

At one FNM I went to a mother brought her kids 7 and 9 by my guess. I personally enjoyed them but my wife said it was annoying when she played the 7 year old with the mother looking on and helping. I don't think it went too badly for them overall but the lack of rules knowledge was a clear hinderance to the enjoyment of their opponents.

As others have mentioned take a little time to teach your friends friend the rules. Remember it's all for the purpose of enjoyment and entertainment. With that in mind if your friend comes and has a hard time remind him it's just for fun and entertainment. If drafting talk to him about the cool cards he drafted even if he didn't win a game he's walking away with something. Find the fun for yourself too but it won't help your cause if you lose your playmate in the process.
Don't be too smart to have fun

Well, you could teach him how to play.

And I'm sure you're not toxic at all. Wow, we can say "douche" on the forum.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
Thanks for every reply, I never knew poeple could answer this so well. But, the porblem is not with myself, it's with my friend and his friend. His friend doesn't eeven know how to play Magic, but still wants to go and play there. Plus, I'll feel very terrible if I pull a touche move by not letting him come, which will result of scoulding of my parents and my friend.

Just teach him how to play, and warn him that the people there will be older, more experianced, and playing to win. I don't have any problem with younger players, even less-experianced ones, but they should at least have a baisic grasp on the rules before they go to an FNM. Also, tell him to act maturely if you're worried his conduct may grate on people's nerves.
Thank you Blitzschnell for the awesome banner!