Mill deck is so much stronger than every other deck...

43 posts / 0 new
Last post
I recently got DotP 2013 for my ipad since I am unable to play much of the card game due to heavy schedule and oh my how did they let this deck in compared to the others. I've played 40+ multiplayer games so far and I have yet to lose (had 1 draw) a single game with the Dream Puppets (mill) deck. It is just in a league of its own on power way over the other decks.

My fastest game I fully milled someone (60 card deck) turn 5. Its incredibly fast, has HUGE amounts of control, and if needed can stall with a large amount of fatties till late game where it has an infinite combo vs the other blue deck. (infinite 5/7 flyers ftw)

My current deck list is

2x Hedron Crab
4x Jace's Phantasm
2x Prosperity
3x Thought Scour
2x Counterspell
2x Howling Mine
2x Jace's Erasure
3x Mindsculpt
1x Sapphire Medallion
3x Crippling Chill
1x Sands of Delirium
2x Sword of Body and Mind
3x Dreamborn Muse
2x Traumatize
1x Forced Frutation
2x Chancellor of the Spires

I've yet to find a deck that this doesn't have a favorable matchup against (goblins is the hardest to beat but I still haven't lost)
In 1v1? I honestly mean no offense, but is the iPad community that bad? DP certainly isn't bad, but it's certainly not top tier either.

Decks that have good match up against DP if played properly:
BoF, GG, PK, CL, & OD
I miss any?
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)
The fact that you didn't even lose to Goblins comfirms once more that the ipad community mainly consists of casual players unfamiliar with the game.

Mill isn't terrible, but it's definitely on the lower half of the tier list. 
The fact that you didn't even lose to Goblins comfirms once more that the ipad community mainly consists of casual players unfamiliar with the game.

Mill isn't terrible, but it's definitely on the lower half of the tier list. 

Some of the people I come across are absolute garbage (example Forced Frutation in play, 17 cards left in deck, play 3 spells, wat?) but not all of them are.
Forced fruition and jaces erasure are so bad, if your winning so much with these cards the iPad community must be more casual than I thought
The funny thing is I think Jace is the most wildly inconsistent deck in the game, and to go 40+ and 0 seems like an outright lie. Sorry, I don't mean to call you a liar, but that's sheningans right there. Even the most consistent deck, goblins, is going to get bad draws or go against someone who just gets a better hand way more frequently than that. But Jace? Jace is sort of a feast or famine deck- either everything feels like it goes your way, or it feels like nothing does in my experience. It's only defense in most mill builds is its speed and its speed is dependent solely on the cards it draws and the order they come. Okay, maybe not a lie- but an exagerration at the very least.

We've had multiple people post their decks and their allegedly extremely good records using those decks on iPad and I think that's why people from XBox/PS/Steam are more skeptical of said winning records/the average ability of the average iPad player.

The deck you posted would probably be averaging around 40%-70% win ratio at best on XBox live. It has nothing to do with your skill either; you could be great, but your deck build isn't optimal and would get absolutely eviserated by goblins (essentially the most played 1v1 deck in XBox with black being close second) on a regular basis. You'd probably be strong against black as mill beats black a lot, but you'd have an uphill battle vs goblins, chandra, peacekeepers (any deck that either uses multiple smaller creatures or doesn't need creatures at all) to mess you up. You have your 4x phantasms 3x crippling chills and 2x counterspells as your only real defensive plays in the entire deck - and crippling stinks if your opponent is swinging more than one threat. You probably won't regularly be blocking with muses or crabs unless its critical. You don't have any unsummon, any into the roil, or the dreamfracture either. I somehow find it hard to believe in 40+ games you haven't faced someone who hasn't been able to kill you before you mill them with virtually no way to stop them from just taking you to the mat every turn. Im' sure your phantasms are 5/5 often, but there's enough spot removal in this game that I'm not sure that matters.

I don't understand why you have the medallion in your deck. Sands of Delirium is slow. Jace's Erasure is slower, especially without all the cantrips you removed. Forced Fruition is useful sometimes, but usually is just "win-more." You have 2x swords but virtually nobody to carry them. You don't have archive trap in. You have thought scour but not tome scour. I don't know to me it doesn't look like it's that fast of a mill, you're kind of topheavy and sort of relying on opening hand chancellor to get phantasms pumped before turn 3 and on.

It's not a bad deck, I'm just saying that deck probably should not be 40 (or more):0.  
"Has HUGE amounts of control" says the guy with a "control" suite of 2 Counterspells and 3 Crippling Chills.

Also see: Stalling with a "large" amount of fatties. Oh, you must mean the 4 Jace's Phantasms.

I don't see how this post can be taken seriously.
"Has HUGE amounts of control" says the guy with a "control" suite of 2 Counterspells and 3 Crippling Chills.

Also see: Stalling with a "large" amount of fatties. Oh, you must mean the 4 Jace's Phantasms.

I don't see how this post can be taken seriously.

I didn't even register those points. Maybe he's just being sarcastic? Seems pretty sincere though...
There's an iPad tourny coming up here in the near future, Mercarcher, and you are welcome to enter and hopefully find some better opponents.

Personally, I've found that competition on the iPad is pretty random in terms of skill. I've had days where I'll play 7-10 games over the course of the day and win without trying... and then I'll have a day where I randomly draw someone like Mobius for every match and get beaten like a red-headed stepchild.

1x Forced Frutation

This is probably a much cooler card than Forced Fruition, that must be the secret to his success. :-)
Is it me and my poor translation or does Forced Fruition sound like a euphemism for **** to anyone else?
Is it me and my poor translation or does Forced Fruition sound like a euphemism for **** to anyone else?

Why? Why point that out?

Anyone got some brain soap?

Well, it does NOW.

IMAGE(http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/001/248/cannot_be_unseen.jpg)

Well... now that you pointed it out...

I was out driving today and saw a church sign that said "A small tongue can ruin a big man."

Is there some sort of context I'm missing here that changes this from a sex joke? Like "Loose lips sink ships." I get that one. The church one, not so much.
Close your eyes. Fly away. In the land where dreams, all are true. IMAGE(http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/distilledpoizn/StupidJefferson.jpg)

I was out driving today and saw a church sign that said "A small tongue can ruin a big man." Is there some sort of context I'm missing here that changes this from a sex joke? Like "Loose lips sink ships." I get that one. The church one, not so much.

You've never read the book of James then. Whether atheist, Christian, Muslim or something else, there is a LOT of wisdom in that book.

I think the sign you saw stems from the rudder/ship comparison in James 3. The tongue is a small part of the body but it holds the power of life and death just as a rudder is a small part of a large ship but it controls its direction amidst small winds. So too can a small smark set an entire forest ablaze.
The funny thing is I think Jace is the most wildly inconsistent deck in the game, and to go 40+ and 0 seems like an outright lie. Sorry, I don't mean to call you a liar, but that's sheningans right there. Even the most consistent deck, goblins, is going to get bad draws or go against someone who just gets a better hand way more frequently than that. But Jace? Jace is sort of a feast or famine deck- either everything feels like it goes your way, or it feels like nothing does in my experience. It's only defense in most mill builds is its speed and its speed is dependent solely on the cards it draws and the order they come. Okay, maybe not a lie- but an exagerration at the very least.

We've had multiple people post their decks and their allegedly extremely good records using those decks on iPad and I think that's why people from XBox/PS/Steam are more skeptical of said winning records/the average ability of the average iPad player.

The deck you posted would probably be averaging around 40%-70% win ratio at best on XBox live. It has nothing to do with your skill either; you could be great, but your deck build isn't optimal and would get absolutely eviserated by goblins (essentially the most played 1v1 deck in XBox with black being close second) on a regular basis. You'd probably be strong against black as mill beats black a lot, but you'd have an uphill battle vs goblins, chandra, peacekeepers (any deck that either uses multiple smaller creatures or doesn't need creatures at all) to mess you up. You have your 4x phantasms 3x crippling chills and 2x counterspells as your only real defensive plays in the entire deck - and crippling stinks if your opponent is swinging more than one threat. You probably won't regularly be blocking with muses or crabs unless its critical. You don't have any unsummon, any into the roil, or the dreamfracture either. I somehow find it hard to believe in 40+ games you haven't faced someone who hasn't been able to kill you before you mill them with virtually no way to stop them from just taking you to the mat every turn. Im' sure your phantasms are 5/5 often, but there's enough spot removal in this game that I'm not sure that matters.

I don't understand why you have the medallion in your deck. Sands of Delirium is slow. Jace's Erasure is slower, especially without all the cantrips you removed. Forced Fruition is useful sometimes, but usually is just "win-more." You have 2x swords but virtually nobody to carry them. You don't have archive trap in. You have thought scour but not tome scour. I don't know to me it doesn't look like it's that fast of a mill, you're kind of topheavy and sort of relying on opening hand chancellor to get phantasms pumped before turn 3 and on.

It's not a bad deck, I'm just saying that deck probably should not be 40 (or more):0.  

Were you the one that accused me of lying? Though I never claimed 40-0 but my blue deck looks 10x better than his and to be honest, during one of my streaks, if I was playing the same players multiple times I could have went close to 40-0.

I think the ipad issue is this: when you first start playing at 1600 score  I think it matches you accordingly and you tend to play poorer talent or newer players in the same range as you. Sure it may randomly throw in some beasts but I noticed that my deck would go 9-1 easily every ten games when I first started then I started going 8-2 and now I get about a 7-3 ration in my last 20 games....I'm ranked around 2000 now.

Maybe I just hit a better wave of players but I think the talent has gotten a little better now that I ranked up. I just made the account I am using now for the tournament  and I developed that Jace build at the same time.

I actually lost back to back games for the first time the other day. This guy steamrolled me twice with PK builds. I was going to suffer and play him again but he backed out....
Why does everyone hate tramautize/forced fruition so much? If you have Chancellors in your deck it means you plan to play them at 7 mana and yeah, you get that initial 7 mill sometimes but seriously, a forced fruition ends a game and traumatize is good against very large decks which are very common.
You've never read the book of James then. Whether atheist, Christian, Muslim or something else, there is a LOT of wisdom in that book.

I think the sign you saw stems from the rudder/ship comparison in James 3. The tongue is a small part of the body but it holds the power of life and death just as a rudder is a small part of a large ship but it controls its direction amidst small winds. So too can a small smark set an entire forest ablaze.

I'd say that's less wisdom and more common sense, but then again all it takes to debunk that is to mention the ratings for Jersey Shore.

I lose this round.

I was out driving today and saw a church sign that said "A small tongue can ruin a big man."

Is there some sort of context I'm missing here that changes this from a sex joke? Like "Loose lips sink ships." I get that one. The church one, not so much.

I think you're looking at a re-wording of James 3:5. "Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." 

Considering what happened in Missouri to Todd Akin and his statement regarding "legitimate (undesired physical relations)" They may have been saying that it doesn't matter how important a person is, if they say something really dumb it can finish them.
Of all things, Death is least permanent.
The mill deck is probably the worst deck atm.

Too much of a blanket generalization. All decks have good and bad matchups and good and bad draws. My Jace deck beats on green and blue mercilessly and can hold its ownwhich well against every other deck except goblins and well built PK. Even now the the inclusion of mind sculpt helps edge out more wins vs GG.
I'm on iPad and almost never lose to mill.   It's just too slow to cope with pumpers and thanks for letting be get out a round four Griselbrand via Rise From the Grave
So I am not sure if this is a troll, or you are just lying. As Koolaid said, I doubt it was 40+ games. Certainly, I think it is strong if played well, but 40 games without losing? Also there are several match-ups where Dream Puppets just cannot keep up, Distilled gave a good list, but specifically of BoF, GG, and OD. The iPad community is mostly bad (and I think more due to wonky controls than lack of skill), so I really wouldn't take any success as a determination of decks being better than one another, only in terms of your opponenets lacking skill.

1x Forced Frutation

This is probably a much cooler card than Forced Fruition, that must be the secret to his success. :-)

It sounds like a green card that would allow you to untap all your forests so that you can "harvest their fruit" one more time.

You're a lose cannon.

"I played 70 card decks before it was cool to play 70 card decks." -Random M:tG hipster

@sixty4half

I am not suprised you don't know what fruition means, given the lack of intelligence used in your previous comments.

1x Forced Frutation

It sounds like a green card that would allow you to untap all your forests so that you can "harvest their fruit" one more time.

@sixty4half

I am not suprised you don't know what fruition means, given the lack of intelligence used in your previous comments.

SMH. Um, I think he's talking about 'Forced Frutation'. And I would say something about the irony of your comment about intelligence, but instead I'll just passive-aggressively suggest it with this comment. Please read posts carefully before slinging insults, then don't.

"People are like sausages: it's what's under the skin that's important... so poke them with a fork periodically."

"Lif is too short."

This is probably the worst deck from the current ones in my opinion. Even though it is way better than the worst deck of duels 2012, you can win a reasonable amount of times with it, specially if you play it right and against the right opponent deck.
ITT: OP trolling everyone and everyone else being trolled.

Jace is by far the WORST 1v1 deck in DotP13. Nothing is even as close to having so many bad match-ups. It might have a good match-up vs certain control heavy Talrand and late game Liliana builds but that's about it. In 1v1 ranked and casual I've never lost to Jace (exception being 1v1 Planechase cause it's so random). I fist pump every time I see a Jace's Phantasm or Thought Scour turn one cause its like an auto-win. I don't care how bad the iPad community is. You're not going 40-0 with that deck.

Celestial Light would like to have a word with you guys about being the worst around.
Celestial Light would like to have a word with you guys about being the worst around.

It's not the deck's fault that nobody knows how to use it properly.
Celestial light is quite good in 1v1 and awesome in 2hg.
I've played against a lot of Ajani decks 1vs1 and they've all being relatively poorly built. I've never lost to Ajani because i play a control Talrand but once i nearly got spanked (before i cast a kicked RoR on the soul wardens followed by serra ascendent, 5x 6/6 fliers with lifelink...cheers) but the build the guy was running was the best i've seen and if i hadn't of been talrand im 100% certain i would of been destroyed. It was a late defensive build with big fliers, angels and board sweepers.

Although yesterday i cast twincast on a beacon of immortality i did feel sorry for the guy after that
I think Ajani has room to be both late defensive and early aggro - as long as the lifegain is used as a stall tactic for the later, bigger threats. If the goal of the deck is to outlast an opponent, I think it can be as effective as the green decks, maybe even OD.
Ajani gets a bad rap because lifegain appeals to new players ("Woohoo, I'll never die!"), but I agree the deck can be used effectively as ocal and NimNams described. However, the mirror matches are the worstLaughing

I was out driving today and saw a church sign that said "A small tongue can ruin a big man." Is there some sort of context I'm missing here that changes this from a sex joke? Like "Loose lips sink ships." I get that one. The church one, not so much.

I think you're looking at a re-wording of James 3:5. "Likewise the tongue is a small part of the body, but it makes great boasts. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark." 

Considering what happened in Missouri to Todd Akin and his statement regarding "legitimate (undesired physical relations)" They may have been saying that it doesn't matter how important a person is, if they say something really dumb it can finish them.

My God let's all forget about Akin. I'm from Missouri and that was an unbelievable embarrassment.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

In my build Ajani is best played holding everything except artifacts or a Solemn Offering, bait, wait, Judgment.
Start the fun.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

In my build Ajani is best played holding everything except artifacts or a Solomn Offering, bait, wait, Judgement.
Start the fun.

And roll over and die if you don't draw judgement?
In my build Ajani is best played holding everything except artifacts or a Solemn Offering, bait, wait, Judgment.
Start the fun.

And roll over and die if you don't draw judgment?

No, not what I meant.
It's just my favorite win condition with this deck.
Screw all who use the Ascendants (soon to be fixed) as their only win condition. There is so much more this deck is capable of.

Edit: Yes, one of my win conditions is the Ascendants, and they will remain in my deck after the rewording. As is I really do not like to play them early if I have them and be thought of as "cheap".

Show

Screw all who use the Ascendants (soon to be fixed) as their only win condition. There is so much more this deck is capable of.

Edit: Yes, one of my win conditions is the Ascendants, and they will remain in my deck after the rewording. As is I really do not like to play them early if I have them and be thought of as "cheap".

Ascendants aren't broken in 1 v 1 currently, and I've enjoyed this deck in that format.  Not that you can't get to 30 life early in a good percentage of games...