Need more minis for D&D?

Reaper is converting a bunch of their metal minis to the plastic "Bones" line because they'll be cheaper to manufacture, ship, and sell. Additionally, they're bringing manufacturing from China back to Texas, USA which is good for their local economy at least. At first they were just going to make 30 new molds, but now it's up to well over 200 for the 'vampire level' pledge of $100. It's the best deal I've ever seen for minis. And it ends tomorrow.

Most of the minis work in a fantasy game setting (dwarves, gnomes, halflings, elves, humans) and there are a ton of monsters (orcs, goblins, kobolds, griffon, giants, dragons, owlbear, etc). There's also about a dozen space marines with guns and a few modern-looking sculpts, plus 10 from the Chronoscape line of steampunk minis. The huge and gigantic minis are mostly add-on extras from $7-$25.

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1513061270/...

It makes me wonder why Wizards can't sell a dozen minis for under $45. They already have tons of molds, and there's no reason why they couldn't sell unpainted minis right alongside the Reaper line in your local game store.
It makes me wonder why Wizards can't sell a dozen minis for under $45.

They do:
- Dungeon Command sets have a dozen painted miniatures for under $40 (or about $26 on Amazon)
- WotC board games have 42 unpainted miniatures, and sell for well under $45 on Amazon and other online stores.

The Reaper kickstart is an incredible event though. I feel like I'm watching history in the making.