Where would you go after H1?

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
I am currently running H1 for a group that hasn't played D&D in decades, and its all going very well.  So I was wondering where to go next?

Possible options:
H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth for lvls 4-6
HS2 Orcs of Stonefang Pass lvl 4
Madness at Gardmore Abbey lvls 6-8

All of which are interesting.  So I was wondering, if you had played any of these, what you thought?  And what would you recommend/avoid?  Have I missed any options?

I am also wondering if its possible to get legitimate PDFs of these, rather than hard copy?
My group did H1 and H2 and wanted to leave the adventure modules and explore the world afterward. 
H3 is nice but so weird, my players werent interested in it at all.

If i had to redo it all again, id cleary do H1, HS2 with maybe a splash of H2 to fill the gap to Madness at Garmore Abbey.

My group is now lv 11 and i'm sending them in Gardmore Abbey. ( I revised the whole place to make it interesting for Paragon.)           

As far as i know, there's no legitimate PDFs of any 4th books.

Hope you have a blast running those, i did!   
I'd run a scaled-up version of The Slaying Stone with a few side adventures in Fallcrest & Winterhaven & establish some Iron Circle threads, such as having them connected to the Severed Eye Orcs in Gorizbadd, spend a little time in Harkenwold before the Iron Circle invasion then run the Reavers of Harkenwold from the Gamemaster's Kit.
Unfortunately, Thunderspire is probably best avoided at this point. While it's an interesting locale with some great theme material, the fact that its adventure and encounter design leaves a great deal to be desired.

A somewhat scaled-up version of The Slaying Stone is probably your best bet for print adventures, although if you can get DDI (even for a month), the Chaos Scar material offers some good alternatives (and has the advantage of a pick-and-choose design).
I wouldn't rule out H2 entirely. If you're willing to put a bit of time into tweaking some design elements, the locale is fun and evocative. That said, you might strongly consider checking out Myrhdraak's amazing reworking of the whole published series, which draws much closer connections between the adventures and incorporates some flavorful new components:

community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758... 
Thanks for the advice, all.  Not sure which direction I will take but you've given me plenty of options. 

cheers!
Regarding PDFs: I see that with 5th Edition being a year and a half away, there was mention at Gen Con about releasing content in PDF format.  I've not had time to check out the comments first hand, but if true that would make me very happy.
I am currently running H1 for a group that hasn't played D&D in decades, and its all going very well.  So I was wondering where to go next?

Possible options:
H2 Thunderspire Labyrinth for lvls 4-6
HS2 Orcs of Stonefang Pass lvl 4
Madness at Gardmore Abbey lvls 6-8

All of which are interesting.  So I was wondering, if you had played any of these, what you thought?  And what would you recommend/avoid?  Have I missed any options?

I am also wondering if its possible to get legitimate PDFs of these, rather than hard copy?

What about Reavers of Harkenwold that comes with the 4E Dungeon Master's Kit?
That one might work, but chances are good that the PCs will have outleveled it by the time they're done with KotS.

The "Cairn of the Winter King" short adventure in the Monster Vault box may be appropriate, though.
I am kinda asking the same questions

we started with redbox (twisting halls) then moved on to reavers of harkenwold (with afew add ons using dungeon tiles) and they are now at level 4 I'm not sure where I want to go from here I'm slowly designing my own campaign using hooks from dungeon mag but its taking awhile. I dont want to buy the monsters vault because im now using minis and print off monster stats from ddi.

any recommendations? 
Since you have DDI, the level 4 adventures found in Dungeon are probably your best bet.
we started with redbox (twisting halls) then moved on to reavers of harkenwold (with afew add ons using dungeon tiles) and they are now at level 4 I'm not sure where I want to go from here I'm slowly designing my own campaign using hooks from dungeon mag but its taking awhile. I dont want to buy the monsters vault because im now using minis and print off monster stats from ddi.

any recommendations? 

Dungeon Delve includes 30 short delves, one for each level. You can probably find a used copy in good condition from amazon or somesuch.

HS2 Orcs of Stonefang Pass is a standalonw Level 4 adventure. I haven't played it yet; it gets mediocre reviews on the interwebz, but I don't usually let those things bother me.
Try to scale the monsters from Reavers of Harkenwold and alternatively, you could run Madness at Gardmore Abbey, which is, in my opinion, the best 4e stuff ever made.
I'm just in process of finishing up H1 with my crew. We are a bunch of old gamers who played 1e in high school, migrated to other systems, and then didn't play for nearly 2 decades... so this is like coming home. I had originally planned to do H2 next, but after reading reviews of Reavers of Harkenwold, I acquired both it and Madness at Gardmore Abbey. Reavers is so well done as a premise, I just had to do it, even if it means up scaling and slightly retooling it. As such, I've up scaled it to be 4-6, rather than 2-4. It also means I can directly link Reavers into Madness at Gardmore Abbey... Plus with Winterhaven being a base of operations in the latter, it will feel like they are returning to a welcome place. 

Upscaling Reavers wasn't hard. The retooling I've done  swaps out the critters in the Toadwallow caverns with a Daggerburg encampment, as it reinforces some of the political machinations that make this adventure great. 

The challenge for me will be what to do between Madness and T1, as the dungeon crawl of H3 doesn't really appeal too much. I suspect I will be doing a home brew to follow on the events of Reavers and how Gardmore Abbey plays into the larger political picture of what was started in Reavers. There is lots to work with here.  
Beware, Reavers has two of the most dangerous villains in Heroic Tier I've seen: Yisarn the skeletal mage and Lividius, the tiefling murderer.

Just so you know, I re-skinned Lividius as an Ashmadai cultist in my Neverwinter campaign -and changed nothing else, so he remained the same level 4 brute depicted in Reavers- and had him face four player characters:

- 1 level 3 warforged swordmage.
- 1 level 4 drow rogue.
- 1 level 4 human ardent.
- 1 level 5 human weaponmaster.

It was a TPK. He murdered them. And took their heads. And only the swordmage player was a rookie, all other players were D&D veterans, particularly the weaponmaster, who has been playing since 3.5e.
I've not "scheduled" Lividius yet, as that particular encounter scared me as a DM. I suspect I may put him back in sometime after they complete Madness at Gardmore Abbey. My idea is to link Reavers and Madness by way of the Iron Circle being one of the interested parties in the Deck itself. I'll upscale him slightly, but not as much as he would have been relative to 4th level characters.

As for Yisarn, I will also be careful. In my upgrade, he's now a level 5 Elite Controller. However, by the time the players get there, they should easily be at 5th level themselves, and therefore have access to a second set of powerful daily spells.
I think the matter with Lividius is fear. When I had him deliver a coup de grâce to the drow rogue, who was the first to fall, it was the first time in a long time those players had seen a villain so eager for slaying. Furthermore, they had not taken an extended rest and were out of daily powers. But that was not the point. They were scared and unit cohesion was lost. They focused on avoiding combat distance with Lividius, instead of flanking and delivering heavy damage -as you are aware, Lividius does have a very low AC-. They were more afraid of that particular villain than of the plaguechanged white dragon at the end of Lost Crown of Neverwinter.

Ouch. That looked painful.

You had mentioned the Yisarn encounter being particularly dangerous. Was it Yisarn himself, or was it because of Yisarn and the spiders and the warriors, and those spike pits?
Ouch. That looked painful.

You had mentioned the Yisarn encounter being particularly dangerous. Was it Yisarn himself, or was it because of Yisarn and the spiders and the warriors, and those spike pits?

I believe it was Yisarn and the traps. This is the group that faced him, all level 2.

- Dragonborn fighter with halberd.
- Elf warlock.
- Human wizard.
- Tiefling wizard.
- Dwarf paladin.

The warlock fell into one of the pits and spent half of the battle in there. When she managed to climb, she was below 10HP and was quickly taken care of. The party managed to defeat the skeletons and the spider quickly, yet the spider hurt the dwarf pretty bad and Yisarn took him down with no trouble. The dragonborn managed to hold his ground while the wizards bombarded Yisarn from afar, but he eventually went down as well and the human wizard also was defeated. The tiefling wizard had not taken any damage, so she fled to the chamber where they had faced the goblins and slain one of the bloodseeker drakes and, in a moment of inspiration, opened the remaining drake's cage and unleashed it unto Yisarn, who was bloodied by then and attracted the drake's attention. She took cover behind one of the cages and began throwing magic missiles till the end.
Sounds intense! 

**spoliers**
My players made quick work of the spider and then ganged up on yisarn and merked him, i tryed to play him tough in hopes of killing a few PC's but maybe it was just the dice.

I had alot of fun with Nazin as a major villian and at the end of reavers i decided to make the top of the tower (where they battle him) open so that creatures and/or PC's could push each other off and either fall into the court yard of the castle (instant death/saving throws) or into a river that ran beside the castle, turned out my not so good cleric pushed nazin 150feet off the tower into the raging river and then push 2 allies off ! and thats where i ended our last game. I figure that everyone who fell into the water survied and nazin escaped! 
My players didn't let Nazin survive the Battle of Albdrige, so I created a vacuum of power within the remaining Iron Circle officers, as they were fighting against each other for the right to become the next commander: Stumirk, Kalthis and Tyranda rose as potentials, so the players focused into taking each of them out as soon as possible. In the end Kalthis turned into the main villain as she began sacrificing innocent villagers to Asmodeus to summon more devils. Tyranda claimed she was tired of the evil of the Iron Circle and left to join the rebels.
Ooo... I like the squabble of the lieutenant's option if the players manage to kill of Nazin Redthorne in the battle of Albridge. It gives them a lot of character, but it also shows that the Iron Circle is more powerful than a single overconfident goon as their leader.

I'll have to keep that in mind if the players manage to prevent Redthorne from escaping.

Still, I'm not sure how it will play out with the characters at 5th or 6th level.

As for Yisarn, depending on where they are at, the characters may be 4th or 5th when they face him. They may have some tricks up their sleeves to avoid the pit traps if they need to.