Nicol Bolas's Deck for Users on MTG DoP 2013?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hello guys,

So yesterday somebody entered a Two Headed Giant game and was using Nicol Bolas's deck. 

After searching for quite a bit, I found out no information regarding this, which leads me to my question; how can it be done?

Is this something normal that I do not know about or what?

Please note that I have also posted this in the General section.

Thanks to anyone who responds in advance.  
Someone hacked their program to allow this.  It is not normal; it is cheating.  What system was this on?
This happened on the PC, I have also taken photographs of the incident with my phone.
This also happened on the iPad - community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/758...
And is the company doing anything about it?

What do you want them to do about it? I play on ps3, so it's unlikely i'll run into this, but if I did see somebody playing the Bolas deck against me, i'd be thrilled at the novelty of playing a huma with that deck, and just be happy about it. Relax man, let the good times wash over you. 
I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I'm both orderly and rational. I value control, information, and order. I love structure and hierarchy, and will actively use whatever power or knowledge I have to maintain it. At best, I am lawful and insightful; at worst, I am bureaucratic and tyrannical.
You know what will wind up happening in the end?  Someone will offer them a job for hacking and stuff like that.  Government is big on that...lol

Nothing anyone can do about it anyway, like above, just go with it.

What do you want them to do about it? I play on ps3, so it's unlikely i'll run into this, but if I did see somebody playing the Bolas deck against me, i'd be thrilled at the novelty of playing a huma with that deck, and just be happy about it. Relax man, let the good times wash over you. 

It does not work that way, I do not enjoy a game when they have such an unfair advantage over me. 

"Relaxing" and having "good times wash over" me would be for me to also have access to the deck, without cheating, as the game creators intended. I think you do not understand the fact that cheating breakes down a game. 

You know what will wind up happening in the end?  Someone will offer them a job for hacking and stuff like that.  Government is big on that...lol

Nothing anyone can do about it anyway, like above, just go with it.

That kind of vermine are not even close to intelligent and resourceful "hackers" as you probably know them from 'movies' or documentaries.

And what they can do is ban cheaters and implement an anti-cheat system, or at least show that they care to do so.

I was under the impression that Steam automatically scanned for mods for online play and would ban anyone with a modded deck (the VAC ban?).  Occasionally people would post to this forum about mods and say 'be sure not to go online with this mod or you'll get VAC-banned'.  I'm surprised to learn this may not be the case.

I wouldn't mind playing against the Bolas deck for the novelty of a human running it but I guess if I cared about the leaderboards at all, I might be upset too.

EDIT: also I'm pretty sure you can report cheating via steam if you go to the DOTP user forum (on Steam) and report it there.  I strongly doubt that either Valve or Wizards/Stainless wants to allow this.
@fabulist

There are always gonna be cheaters in life.  Nothing any of us can do about that.  Thats the main reason I never played games on the pc, cause it is more prevalent on there than on home consoles.  Might as well not watch sports or go to a restaurant for that matter cause sports players cheat all the time and you gotta know you are being cheated at anyplace that serves food.

And I am not mad at the comment, but you pressume to know what I know about hackers.  Movies always show them as malicious.  They are not always that way.  And I am not defending them in any way, but the electronics world needs them.  How else would a company find out what their weaknesses are in there software and stuff like that?

Its a fine line with all of this.  thats what makes it suck.  Companys do care about this stuff, but what can they do to stop it?  Nothing.  Movies industry tried with doing something to discs to prevent copying it.  People found the way around it.  

And can i ask you a question?  Isn't there better thing to worry about in life than what someone does in a game?          
Is the deck actually that powerful? I think it'd be kind of fun to play against. Bolas himself wasn't that tough...
Is the deck actually that powerful? I think it'd be kind of fun to play against. Bolas himself wasn't that tough...

Bolas wasn't that tough because the AI is foolish (to be polite).  That deck in the hands of a human makes goblins look harmless.
I hope bolas' deck is available for DLC. They did it with 09 but never did it with 2012 which sucked. Maybe take out the mox's but still, the deck doesnt really get going straight away, it takes a few turns.
I wouldn't want bolas's deck, it seems a lil boring in comparison to his original reanimation deck. Its prolly really good what with the ability to play so many lands in one turn but it doesn't seem like it would be a lot of fun to actually play.
I'm kind of a fan of this Bolas deck, but I'm also a huge fan of Cruel Ultimatum and board control. I definately think it would be cool to see a player usable version at some point.
I'm kind of a fan of this Bolas deck, but I'm also a huge fan of Cruel Ultimatum and board control. I definately think it would be cool to see a player usable version at some point.

This.

I just want to cast cruel ultimatum because i enjoyed using violent ultimatum so much in 09 
I'd love to be able to play Bolas' deck. The player version probably wouldn't have any moxes (probably less tutors too?), but it'd still be really fun I think.

The funny thing is, I can never find the actual decklist (and revenge decklist) when I'm looking for them. I'd be curious to see what unlocks they'd throw in for it too.
I'm in a multiplayer match with a Bolas deck now.  Definitely has the moxes.  I beat him first round anyway

This.

I just want to cast cruel ultimatum because i enjoyed using violent ultimatum so much in 09 

lol yea I loved violent ultimatum so much, few cards have made people rage quite as frequently as that card.

This.

lol yea I loved violent ultimatum so much, few cards have made people rage quite as frequently as that card.

It was made even better when used after blightning That deck was the rage quit deck.
Playing a dude right now - Senmetsu Tenshi Ren his/her name is

snip

*sigh* Don't remind me, I miss that deck so much its prolly unhealthy....
snip

*sigh* Don't remind me, I miss that deck so much its prolly unhealthy....

I know what you mean, it had terminate as defense as well as sprouting thrinax for even more board defense/kamikaze attack, then at turn 7 you plopped down the most amazing dragon creatures this game has ever seen. Let's hope it comes back in DLC 2 with the trio coloured decks.
If anyone knows how to use this deck please tell me!!!
Google a bit, it's not hard at all to hack Bolas' deck into use on the PC (not that I do it - I'm on PS3 - but I know people).

Same with the Expansion decks, there are people playing the Expansion decks against the AI right now, though they can't be played against human opponents AFAIK.

Honestly, Bolas' deck is not all that great so making it available to players wouldn't wreck the game or anything.  It's fast, but that's about all it is.
He is the same player I had a match using Bolas deck, maybe he is the only one. I asked if it was an expansion and his reply was he's only using his friends computer (doubt it).

Playing a dude right now - Senmetsu Tenshi Ren his/her name is

Unfortunately, there's nothing Wizards can do on our end when it comes to potential cheaters/hackers. It's something that needs to be handled through the regular channels depending on the system you play on. There's a post that Microbless made HERE that gives information on reporting and filing complaints against other players in the Steam, PSN, and Xbox communities. I hope that helps.

Sean Gibbons

Associate Community Manager

Official MTG Twitter: @Wizards_Magic Official MTGO Twitter: @MagicOnline

Unfortunately, there's nothing Wizards can do on our end when it comes to potential cheaters/hackers. It's something that needs to be handled through the regular channels depending on the system you play on. There's a post that Microbless made HERE that gives information on reporting and filing complaints against other players in the Steam, PSN, and Xbox communities. I hope that helps.

Don't punish the hackers, just make the deck available as DLC and then nobody is a cheater, and we all get to play one extra deck :D

But surely there's something that can be done about "Conceding doesn't count as a loss" on PS3, because that's part of the game's code, right?  I don't REALLY care a lot about Leaderboards (nobody should, which is why the people with 65,000+ points are hilarious) but it is kind of annoying.  My rank right now is somewhere around #150, but if I conceded instead of losing every time it would undoubtedly be much higher due to the fact that you lost points much easier than you gain them on the PS3.

Don't punish the hackers, just make the deck available as DLC and then nobody is a cheater, and we all get to play one extra deck :D

This would punish everyone. The AI is terrible and with the ability to mulligan into a hand with either Demonic Tutor or Cruel Ultimatum in the opening hand I don't think it'd be too hard to have hit your opponent with 2x ultimatum by turn 6 with all the tutor/draw and ramp through moxen. Then you have all the other "of Bolas" creatures to help round it out. And terminate for fatties, pyrloclasm for weenies, etc. etc. I think with a competent human pilot iot would be so nuts. Not competent Karn pilot nuts, but nuts none the less.
I played that Senmetsu Tenshi Ren dude a couple of times. While it's sort of lame, it's not like he's starting every game with 100 life and 10 land.
I played that Senmetsu Tenshi Ren dude a couple of times. While it's sort of lame, it's not like he's starting every game with 100 life and 10 land.

No but he could probably start with at least 3 "land" turn 1.

This would punish everyone. The AI is terrible and with the ability to mulligan into a hand with either Demonic Tutor or Cruel Ultimatum in the opening hand I don't think it'd be too hard to have hit your opponent with 2x ultimatum by turn 6 with all the tutor/draw and ramp through moxen. Then you have all the other "of Bolas" creatures to help round it out. And terminate for fatties, pyrloclasm for weenies, etc. etc. I think with a competent human pilot iot would be so nuts. Not competent Karn pilot nuts, but nuts none the less.

Take out moxens. Then it's just a deck. A lot of decks beat bolas' it's a scarey deck but no more scarey than a turn 6 infinite.