Class weapon attack bonus?

The various class charts all list a "Weapon Attack" column with a modifier.  I don't see this explained anywhere, though.  If I had to guess, I would say that it's a bonus applied to weapon attacks with weapons the character is proficient with.  On a related note, I can't find the benefits of proficiency with a weapon explained anywhere in the packet.  (So if there are implications of proficiency beyond my presumption about its connection to a class's weapon attack bonus, I don't know what they are.)
Anybody have any clarity for this?
Good catch.

You are correct as I read it. In the Character Creation pdf under class (calculating combat numbers) It states that you get to add the class weapon bonus to attacks with which you have training. Weapons with which you are not proficient are weapons with which you have no training.

There is no heading for proficiency that i could find either so I'm guessing that's something they overlooked in this packet. You can work it out but it is obscure.
There is a slight issue with clerics and wizards with daggers and quarterstaves.  They should be proficient but should they be proficient with them as finesse weapons or just use strength?  If finesse was a weapon trait rather than a class of weapons, it might clean up this issue.
There is a slight issue with clerics and wizards with daggers and quarterstaves.  They should be proficient but should they be proficient with them as finesse weapons or just use strength?  If finesse was a weapon trait rather than a class of weapons, it might clean up this issue.

Technically you can choose either/or according to the description of finesse weapons. I see no reason not to randomly disallow this. Sure a wizard could use a quarterstaff in comat, and have a +2 to damage or whatever it is. But this is balanced by him having no armor class and a d4 hit die. Yes he can, but it's still not a good idea.
My two copper.
On that, my ruling on weapons

Finesse = Basic weapons that can use dex mod (with weapon proficiency)
Heavy = Martial weapons small characters cant use
@AlmightyK
Does allowing a Halfling to use a 2H sword break your game? Why? That's a characterful and fun idea and well within the rules as they stand right now. You feel you have to kill it so it won't happen? what are you scared of?

@Jenks
I agree entirely. As far as I can tell, so far the rules work pretty well as written and there is no need for homebrew here unless you want to play this as a finished system and not as a playtest...er well I guess it is free.

The rules allow for both player improvisation and DM vito when difficult/broken situations arrise in any case - this keeps the game flowing at the table, which is all you need to fix a game that runs into a problem. Everything else is just playing at being designer, tinkering with rules. This can be fun (and is de rigueur in many published systems since it's a way to tailor and correct it to your tastes but doesnt add so much to the playtest process. The idea here is to playtest these rules and give feedback on what works and what doesn't.

Or, your know what? Ignore me, if you have fun posting houserules why not? I think I'm getting old ;)

@tezman, so i may as well have my dwarf fighter pick up the large greatsword as well. it is effectively the same deal
Ignore me, I'm high on spicy food and a day off work! I really shouldn't post on forums, it just confirms how stupid I can be, my bad
Ignore me, I'm high on spicy food and a day off work! I really shouldn't post on forums, it just confirms how stupid I can be, my bad

so my point was convincing? huzzah for me :P
Sign In to post comments