First Real Deck...Help please :)

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
This is what I'm working on, it's a white black deck. I'm sort of working on a budget but if you can think of any relatively cheap cards that could help then I'd really appreciate it. 

The concept is pretty simple, sort of hand destruction and then swarm them with low cost little guys.
First, you're in the wrong area.  Post the decks in the Deck Help subforum.

Second, the list is absolutely unplayable in a Modern tournament.  I count exactly 14 non-basic land cards that are playable in Modern, and most of them aren't in the same deck.  I suggest a completely rehash of the enitre deck.  If you're unwilling to do that, take it up to the Casual section.  If you want something playable, I would start by looking like the typical B/W Tokens, which looks a bit like this:

Sorry about the wrong section thing. Since I just started can you explain why it's not at all playable? 

#1:  You mana base is completely atrocious.  You have 6 lands that come into play tapped, one colorless land and no way to consistently get WW or BB early.

#2:  Most of your threats don't do anything.  Ravenous Rats is really bad when people are playing gigantic growing threats at the same time.  You have a creature that only has an effect when you cast a copy of only two other spells.  You've got creatures that are extremely narrow (Soul's Attendant, Tormented Soul, Silver).  You have a creature that you can't reliably ever cast for value (BBB for Gatekeeper).  The tokens are too underwhelming since you have no way to boost them and aren't evasive.

#3:  You have no removal.  Zealous Persecution is only good against opposing token decks, which there aren't many.

#4:  You're playing one of the worst planeswalker ever printed in a format where planeswalkers are already pretty bad.  If the planeswalker isn't Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Liliana of the Veil or Elspeth, Knight-Errant, it's not playable in an eternal format

#5:  Your spells are very low impact.  Passage is completely unplayable (life gain sucks).  Erase is way too situational, and doesn't have that many targets in Modern.  Mind Rot is too slow, and doesn't really do anything.  Duress is too situational and will be dead against a lot of decks.  Captain's Call is like 3 turns too slow.  Castigate is too hard to cast in your deck and is just a worse Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek.

#1:  You mana base is completely atrocious.  You have 6 lands that come into play tapped, one colorless land and no way to consistently get WW or BB early.

#2:  Most of your threats don't do anything.  Ravenous Rats is really bad when people are playing gigantic growing threats at the same time.  You have a creature that only has an effect when you cast a copy of only two other spells.  You've got creatures that are extremely narrow (Soul's Attendant, Tormented Soul, Silver).  You have a creature that you can't reliably ever cast for value (BBB for Gatekeeper).  The tokens are too underwhelming since you have no way to boost them and aren't evasive.

#3:  You have no removal.  Zealous Persecution is only good against opposing token decks, which there aren't many.

#4:  You're playing one of the worst planeswalker ever printed in a format where planeswalkers are already pretty bad.  If the planeswalker isn't Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Liliana of the Veil or Elspeth, Knight-Errant, it's not playable in an eternal format

#5:  Your spells are very low impact.  Passage is completely unplayable (life gain sucks).  Erase is way too situational, and doesn't have that many targets in Modern.  Mind Rot is too slow, and doesn't really do anything.  Duress is too situational and will be dead against a lot of decks.  Captain's Call is like 3 turns too slow.  Castigate is too hard to cast in your deck and is just a worse Thoughtseize or Inquisition of Kozilek.

Haha you definitely have some very good points. Playing so many tapped lands was me trying to avoid color screw, though I do see that it slows me down a hell of a lot. I just couldnt see a way around it other than spending 40 dollars on a set of dual lands. 

I really wanted to play with the hand destruction aspect of the deck, to the point where it's a main focus. The idea, and maybe it was a darn stupid one, was to get rid of most problems before they reach the field. You're right that I should have more options to get rid of things once they're on the field. I'm playing castigate because it reminded me of  Gerrard's Verdict which is one of my favorite cards that I've come across.  

Ravenous Rats and the scullers were supposed to add to the already dense hand destruction spells, and maybe mind rot isnt good on its own, but I thought as an addition to what would already be a problem for the opponent it'd help. 

Maybe some of my spells are straight up bad haha, but what could I replace them with and keep the integrity of the deck?
Unfortunately, dual lands go a very, very long way to making a deck consistent enough to be good.  They aren't the cheapest cards, but the good news is that you can always use them.

Hand disruption is perfectly fine, but B/W has the best removal in the game.  You want to be using the disruption to take care of the worst threats that you have no way of dealing with and the spot removal to deal with everything else.  The problem with relying only on hand disruption to answer threats is that you can generally only get one card a turn.  Unless they kept a hand with very little actual business (so something like 6 lands, 1 spell), chances are not good that you can keep answering their draws with discard effects.

I understand what the Rats were trying to do, but it's just too low impact.  Sculler is fine because it's got a relevant body, unlike the Rats.  Mind Rot is just too slow, since you generally don't want to cast it until they have two cards in hand.

The list I posted is the closest you're going to get to the same idea.  You beat the opponent with a bunch of little guys (usually pumped up with the anthem effects) and deplete your opponent's resources mainly through discard.

The deck isn't that expensive.  Outside of the lands and Thoughtseize (which could be replaced by Duress to budgetize it), everything else isn't too bad.  I believe the Heros and Paths are about $6 each, and the Heros could be replaced by another decently large threat (though I'm blanking on a good replacement right now).  Everything else is probably under a couple bucks, and you can get a ton of them through trading pretty easily.  Obviously, the lands are going to be a fairly large bit of cash, but that's always the case and unavoidable unless you play a mono-colored deck.
You also might try Wrench Mind and Cry of Contrition.  Both of those are two for ones.  Since you do have a lot of come into play (CIP) lands, you want also want to try Shrieking Grotesque.  

While Path to Exile is probably the best single removal card in the format, you can also use Doom Blade or Go for the Throat as a budget options.

Since you are trying to make your opponent discard a lot of cards, you might also like 2-3 Nyxathid in your deck along with 1-2 Jotun Grunt.

If you find ourself against a lot of aggro decks, you might also consider Descendant of Kiyomaro.  As long as you have more cards in hand than you opponent, then he will get the bonus.   

Regarding the manabase, don't sweat it bro.  We have all been there at some point or another.    

Finally for your sideboard, as long as you are playing black I recommend Darkblast.  It is good against a lot of the field.  Kills unflipped Delver, Snapcaster Mage, Steppe Lynx, Birds of Paradise, and Dark Confidant.  It can also kill a two power creature if you cast it during your upkeep, dredge and then blast it again. 

Sorry if I did not use tags for the cards.  I used to play a long time ago and just got back into the game.  The interface is different since the last time I was on the boards.

Good luck.           

Sign In to post comments