8/24/2012 LD: "Developing Development"

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Latest Developments, which goes live Friday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Good luck Zac!

Gonna miss your ramblings.
Zac, didn't know your background, but it explains much why it always felt you were bigger than this card game (even if it is the world's most successful and beloved CCG).  You didn't carry yourself like you were bigger, but your writings always signalled you just oozed competency beyond black-bordered cardboard.

The real world needs more of you's out there.  Go get 'em. 
It's probably kind of jerkish of me, but my immediate reaction to the news was "Oh no, we're getting Tom LaPille back."

Thanks for the reprieve, Zac.  It' was a real pleasure.
To Zac:

Good luck with your new job!

To forum people:

Someone needs to track him down and ask him about stuff off the record. There's a lot of things I really need to know . . .         
Well it was too good to be true. Good luck to Zac in future adventures, and lets all pray that we will get as little Tom LaPille as possible and as much of the others as possible.
Sad to see you go.

Two things:

1) I've been playing Magic since 1995 and Magic 2013 is the first Core Set I've drafted more than once. Because it's actually good.

2) This column was very close to joining Noel deCordova on the "do not read" pile before you took it over. Now it's one of the best every week.

Have fun at The Future Project, though personally I find the work at Gambit much more interesting!
Farewell, sweet prince...

"Ah, the age-old conundrum. Defenders of a game are too blind to see it's broken, and critics are too idiotic to see that it isn't." - Brian McCormick

Farewell, Zac, and good luck at the new job!

...Though I can't help but wonder if MaRo keeps a tally board somewhere counting the Latest Developments authors he's outlasted. "Another one bites the dust, muahahahaha!"

Come join me at No Goblins Allowed

Because frankly, being here depresses me these days.

...Though I can't help but wonder if MaRo keeps a tally board somewhere counting the Latest Developments authors he's outlasted. "Another one bites the dust, muahahahaha!"

Yea, I was wondering that too. Latest Development has changed hands so many times.

Anyway, it was a joy reading your stuff Zac and its sad to see I won't be getting as much of it. Still, you won't be that far from the game. All the best and good luck with the new job. 
You will be missed.  I was really starting to feel you had the best articles of the week.  Also felt you were the best Latest Developments writer since Aaron Forsythe (and possibly better--I'd really have to go back and compare them side-by-side).

Cats land on their feet. Toast lands peanut butter side down. A cat with toast strapped to its back will hover above the ground in a state of quantum indecision.

Sad to see the only columnist who could write better than Rosewater go. Glad to hear you'll be doing loads of awesome stuff.
Nooooooooo!

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for Zac if this is what he wants to do, and seriously, dude's future-resume sounds incredibly impressive. But he's been a fantastic writer for this column, and like everyone else, I'm really, really sad to see him go.
Sorry to see you go, Zac - I really enjoyed your tenure here.

Is it too much to hope that you might still write for other Magic websites from time to time?  That's where I first began to appreciate your work.
Good luck, Zac! Sad to see another LD writer go, but it sounds like you've got a lot of amazing stuff on the horizon.

I really liked Tom's stuff, so it'll be cool to get more articles by him! LD has been my second-favorite column for a while now, because the writers are always so honest and forthright about the issues they deal with and the work they do. Can't wait to see who we get next.
Farewell, Zac, and good luck at the new job!

I don't know if he keeps an actual tally board, but I do know he keeps track of it to a certain extent.  He has mentioned it in at least one article:
www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.a...

look for the section header:  The Development Column

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

As long as lapille doesn't start writing again we should be fine... but hey, this is the happiest news I've seen from latest developments in a long time

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

As long as lapille doesn't start writing again we should be fine... but hey, this is the happiest news I've seen from latest developments in a long time

Even if you actually believe that (in my opinion, many of Zac's articles have been great), why would you say something that mean?
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Even if you actually believe that (in my opinion, many of Zac's articles have been great), why would you say something that mean?

I think you can find the answer to that in his signature.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

Being "not a nice person" isn't really an answer to my question, it just emphasizes the need for me to ask it.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...

Being "not a nice person" isn't really an answer to my question, it just emphasizes the need for me to ask it.

Because although Zac Hill probably isn't everything that's wrong with R&D these days, he's certainly the face of it. He is the symbol of the arrogant poor judgment that R&D has shown over these past few years. As soon as he's gone, we'll transition to hating the next guy, because the problem isn't any one writer. It's the whole system they've built up over there.
Haters gonna hate.  

Thanks for a great run, Zac. 

Goblin Artisans
a Magic: the Gathering design blog
Because although Zac Hill probably isn't everything that's wrong with R&D these days, he's certainly the face of it. He is the symbol of the arrogant poor judgment that R&D has shown over these past few years. As soon as he's gone, we'll transition to hating the next guy, because the problem isn't any one writer. It's the whole system they've built up over there.

Okay, I certainly agree that R&D has made some mistakes in recent years.  Mythic Rares, Titans, Jace, the Mind Sculptor, Snapcaster Mage are all Constructed mistakes that R&D made intentionally (unintentional Constructed mistakes like Delver of Secrets are a hallmark of Magic design since the beginning).  In terms of Limited, Avacyn Restored wasn't really a great format.  However, R&D has also done some things very well - Standard right now is quite diverse with interesting decks, and both Innistrad and M13 have been among the best sets ever for Limited (M13 is easily the best core set ever).  Zac has played a key role in a lot of those successes.
My Decks
Tournament Decks (4)
However, R&D has also done some things very well - Standard right now is quite diverse with interesting decks

Bald-faced lie. There is only aggro in Standard.
However, R&D has also done some things very well - Standard right now is quite diverse with interesting decks

That's not what I've seen at either PTQs or FNM.  There is also lots of aggro-control and midrange, a fair amount of control, and occasionally some comboish decks.  Even within the aggro decks, however, there are many different speeds and varieties of aggro.  It's a lot of fun - I'm glad that Constructed has finally joined Limited (my preferred format) in emphasizing the most interactive element of the game: creature combat.
My Decks
Tournament Decks (4)

That's not what I've seen at either PTQs or FNM.  There is also lots of aggro-control and midrange, a fair amount of control, and occasionally some comboish decks.  Even within the aggro decks, however, there are many different speeds and varieties of aggro.  It's a lot of fun - I'm glad that Constructed has finally joined Limited (my preferred format) in emphasizing the most interactive element of the game: creature combat.

To answer your earlier question: because I mean it. If you read Zac's articles between the lines, you'll notice a major, recurring theme: he believes it's cool to develop stuff because he wants it to be that way, not because it's actually good for the game. I despise that attitude.

On top of that, the arrogance in his writing is almost on the same level as LaPille's.

And to answer this post in particular: you really ought to pay more attention to what's winning, not what's being played. In my observation, 25% of any PTQ is just going to be random jank. Sometimes I contribute to that, so this is just me being dismissive. When people talk about the "Standard format" being stale and boring, they're generally talking about the decks that are actually good.

Oh, and the whole "creature combat is the most interactive element of the game" schtick is just completely wrong. Unless there are onboard tricks or spell tricks involved, creature combat is 100% predictable, and the winner of any engagement is already decided. The fact that both players are involved does not make something "interactive" in an actual gameplay sense. 

IMAGE(http://i1101.photobucket.com/albums/g424/syreal94/SIGS1AL.png) Sig by zpikduM.

So, in other words, aside from all of the factors which make creature combat incredibly interactive -- the engagement of both parties at the table, the tension between the value of what I know and the danger of what I don't, the opportunities created for bluffing and the application of sophistocated strategy and tactics to questions of when to attack and/or block (in terms of using it to manipulate the information you're giving your opponent) -- creature combat isn't interactive. 

"Proc" stands for "Programmed Random OCcurance". It does not even vaguely apply to anything Magic cards do. Don't use it.

Level 1 Judge as of 09/26/2013

Zammm = Batman

"Ability words are flavor text for Melvins." -- Fallingman

I can tell by the screw up of linking this page, this post will probably never be read. But whatever.

I really respect Dave as a gamer, but shaving a point off primal surge just shows how out of touch you are with this game. That card either does nothing or wins the game. Either it cost too much to ever be relevent, or people cast it off hideaway lands or some other eternal quirk where the casting cost doesn't matter and vomits an entire permanent-filled deck onto the table. 

There is a trend in modern times to make cards that are insane like the casting cost balances it. It only does if you ingore all of Maro's past failures. Outside of that, the cards cost 4 or less, and ruin interaction.       
I can tell by the screw up of linking this page, this post will probably never be read. But whatever.

I really respect Dave as a gamer, but shaving a point off primal surge just shows how out of touch you are with this game. That card either does nothing or wins the game. Either it cost too much to ever be relevent, or people cast it off hideaway lands or some other eternal quirk where the casting cost doesn't matter and vomits an entire permanent-filled deck onto the table. 

There is a trend in modern times to make cards that are insane like the casting cost balances it. It only does if you ingore all of Maro's past failures. Outside of that, the cards cost 4 or less, and ruin interaction.       

Don't worry. You're not alone.

One thing you're not quite keeping in mind is that there are some decks (elf decks) that will try to hardcast the spell. With such a deck, lowering CMC by one could be the difference between casting it on time or a turn late. So it really depends on the cards surrounding your super spell.
I actually enjoyed reading this, thank you Mr. Humphreys for introducing yourself in such a detailed manner. I agree with MANY of your viewpoints and opinions on what is good for magic and what is not, when I can't say the same thing about Zac Hill's view on things. So (personally speaking) that's cool.

Also I want to add that I agreee 100% with Mr. LaPille and Lauer as far as Manriki-Gusari is concerned, it'd be nice to have an answer to Sword of X & Y in core sets.

IMAGE(http://i1.minus.com/jbcBXM4z66fMtK.jpg)

192884403 wrote:
surely one can't say complex conditional passive language is bad grammar ?

One other thing you're not quite keeping in mind is this thing called casual.

One other thing you're not quite keeping in mind is this thing called casual.

In what other format are people playing cards like primal surge? Elves was news to me. Casual is exactly what I meant. Pretty much any mythic that costs more than 7 is insane in casual because it uses the eternal card pool and casting costs don't really matter. There are too many ways to get around it. No one pays 10 for primal surge, and if they do, they have gauntlet of might, artifact mana, or something else like that to help them. People aren't tapping 10 actual lands to cast it unless primeval titan got to attack.

Yes, you have to build around the card. However, if it resolves, the game is over. I have to counterspell it or immediately lose to it. It is cards like these that make counterspells way too good.   

So, in other words, aside from all of the factors which make creature combat incredibly interactive -- the engagement of both parties at the table, the tension between the value of what I know and the danger of what I don't, the opportunities created for bluffing and the application of sophistocated strategy and tactics to questions of when to attack and/or block (in terms of using it to manipulate the information you're giving your opponent) -- creature combat isn't interactive. 

So what you're saying is that it's cards in hand (and hidden information) that make creature combat interactive? Huh, that sounds familiar...

I honestly hope Gatecrash doesn't become another Avacyn Restored for limited. This is probably your make-or-break chance at being a lead developer, Dave.
In what other format are people playing cards like primal surge? Elves was news to me. Casual is exactly what I meant. Pretty much any mythic that costs more than 7 is insane in casual because it uses the eternal card pool and casting costs don't really matter. There are too many ways to get around it. No one pays 10 for primal surge, and if they do, they have gauntlet of might, artifact mana, or something else like that to help them. People aren't tapping 10 actual lands to cast it unless primeval titan got to attack.

I think you're confusing casual with Vintage. Lots of players who don't have access to all the expensive cards of the past will play casual and hardcast cards like Primal Surge.
A lengthy, pedantic article from someone whose second guild is Azorius. Who'd've thunk it?

I think you're confusing casual with Vintage. Lots of players who don't have access to all the expensive cards of the past will play casual and hardcast cards like Primal Surge.

There are plenty of cheap, modern-legal cards that let you skip paying high casting costs-like mosswart bridge found in archenemy. If the card pool is expanded beyond standard, cards like primal surge and omniscience get played really early and end the game. These kinds of cards could have cmc of 20 and they'd still show up turn 6. High casting costs don't really balance casual mythics given what else is in the casual card pool.
I liked this article. It showed the types of cards he likes and the types of decks he has played, which one would think influence his development choices. It is perhaps odd how he focused a lot on explaining Birthing Pod and glossed over Delver and Snapcaster. Has there been an article yet explaining how Delver and Snapcaster came to be, from design through development all the way to them being released? I'm sorry if my bias is showing, but they really seem to be more aggressive than blue normally is.

I think it would have been really interesting to include Manriki-Gusari, although with the swords rotating so soon after the release of M13 maybe they weren't so concerned about equipment.

Overall this article seemed like a good introduction to him as a developer.

There are plenty of cheap, modern-legal cards that let you skip paying high casting costs-like mosswart bridge found in archenemy. If the card pool is expanded beyond standard, cards like primal surge and omniscience get played really early and end the game. These kinds of cards could have cmc of 20 and they'd still show up turn 6. High casting costs don't really balance casual mythics given what else is in the casual card pool.

Yes it does. As coien says, those things get hardcast in casual.
Has there been an article yet explaining how Delver and Snapcaster came to be, from design through development all the way to them being released?.

Not specifically, but they have been mentioned. Snapcaster was put into blue at the request of the championship winner who designed it. Delver was just a mistake. When they designed it, they thought it wouldn't see Constructed since it was too variable/inconsistent. Wizards didn't expect people to build around it; they dropped the ball on that one and admitted it. Funny thing is, when Delver came out, it wasn't considered one of the top ten cards in the set.

Casual is exactly what I meant. Pretty much any mythic that costs more than 7 is insane in casual because it uses the eternal card pool and casting costs don't really matter.

Why are we balancing around Casual, the only format with no rules? It's going to be broken anyway, and it's not like it matters on a large-scale basis.
Sign In to post comments