Malec-Keth + Bladespells?

29 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm doing some character building, and I can't see any reason why I wouldn't get to add my damage roll the bladespells, but I figured if anyone would know it'd be CharOP.
Oh gods, not this again.

This argument has been beaten into the ground on innumerable occasions, and never resolved.  No good ever comes of it.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
Are you asking "do the bladespells add the 1d4 damage," or "do the bladespells add 1d4 plus all your damage roll bonuses since you're now rolling damage"?

There's no controversy that the first answer is "yes." The second one will indeed start arguments (for what it's worth, I say "yes" again), so you should ask your DM.
And if this discussion continues in this direction, we will all notice that there's a lot of Bad People on CharOp.
Can I be a Bad People too?  I love beating dead horses with 1d4 elemental damage.  =O
It's time like this that I'm really sad there isn't a horse hengeyokai to turn into a revenant.
RC 222, damage roll, "A roll of dice to determine damage."
To answer the OP...

There will be table variation...  If you allow it very, VERY broken stuff can happen...

Cloud of Daggers becomes ridiculous (especially with architect staff)...
Magic Missile becomes quite powerful...
And then start looking at powers that deal a fixed amount of damage in the effect line (orbmaster's incendiary detonation, corrosive mist, etc...)...

I had a CS response that said OID deals 2(fire)+1d4(thunder)+enh+feat+item+power+etc... damage.  Thus, a level 1 encounter power became enemy only ~30-50 damage zone at mid paragon.

So, from a game balance perspective, you should probably not allow the 1d4 damage roll on powers that do not have a damage roll (bladespells, magic missile, etc...). 
Considering infinite damage is already possible within the rules... what do you expect to happen that will effect game balance, exactly?

He asked what the rules were, in any case.
I'm just going to go with Wheaton's Law and call it a day.
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
For what it's worth, ask your DM. The rules are really not clear here, even if I tend to go with the side that says it works.

I’ve removed content from this thread because trolling is a violation of the Code of Conduct.

You can review the Code of Conduct here: company.wizards.com/conduct

Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks.You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively.

It's crazy that a thread gets ORC'ed only two pages in for a debate that was unneeded and the OP really has no intrest in. Shame on us for being so easily goaded into going down these roads over and over again.
It's crazy that a thread gets ORC'ed only two pages in for a debate that was unneeded and the OP really has no intrest in. Shame on us for being so easily goaded into going down these roads over and over again.

Don't lump everyone in. By mathematics it couldn't have been more than half a dozen people.
10/10 Would Flame Again: An Elite Paladin|Warlock The Elemental Man (or Woman): A Genasi Handbook The Warlord, Or How to Wield a Barbarian One-Handed The Bookish Barbarian Fardiz: RAI is fairly clear, but RAZ is different That's right. Rules According to Zelink!

Don't lump everyone in. By mathematics it couldn't have been more than half a dozen people.

It was just easier to point us out as a collective. You as well as i have seen theses debates spiral out of control and rage on for what seems like an eternity. My real feeling was this thread had no other pupose but to start an argument which it did. No real point and no real conversation was going to be had.
Okay, so from what I gather (Other than this being an incredibly hot button issue) is that I'd get minimum 1d4 and the rest hasn't been given an official customer support answer and should be DM discression. My DM usually goes with the customer service answer, so I just wanted to see if I could round up something to show him yay or nay on. Sorry 'bout opening old wounds.
Okay, so from what I gather (Other than this being an incredibly hot button issue) is that I'd get minimum 1d4 and the rest hasn't been given an official customer support answer and should be DM discression. My DM usually goes with the customer service answer, so I just wanted to see if I could round up something to show him yay or nay on. Sorry 'bout opening old wounds.

Just to note, CS is a useless metric.  I could ask twice, and get two completely contradictory answers.  They're unreliable even on the simplest questions (I once had them tell me that charging took your standard action and your move action, for instance), let alone complex and frankly unresolvable issues like this one.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
So ask twice, and give your DM the more favorable interpretation. Innocent

Just to note, CS is a useless metric.  I could ask twice, and get two completely contradictory answers.  They're unreliable even on the simplest questions (I once had them tell me that charging took your standard action and your move action, for instance), let alone complex and frankly unresolvable issues like this one.

I understand, my DM just prefers a definate answer.
And if you want a definite answer, you won't get it from CS, so don't even try.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Yeah I get that, I've decided to scrap the idea anyway to avoid any arguing, thanks for the input everyone. I figure I'll pose the question to him as a hypothetical just to see his answer.
Flip a coin.

Seriously, I mean it: if you don't know the correct answer, but you just want something definite, it's better to flip a coin than to ask CS. With the CS response, there's the temptation to think it reflects actual rules; with a coin flip, the randomness is transparent, and you won't accidentally read into it things that aren't there.

Like others have said, CS doesn't even meet the basic requirement of being consistent in their answers (let alone being correct in them).

EDIT: If you want to try to figure out the correct ruling, the last half of this thread is one big debate about it.
No, that's not accurate.

An accurate substitution would be to flip a weighted coin, with the answer you know to be correct already on the unfavored side.
Or just ask your DM what his take on the rule is, and figure where to go based on that. If he says you add everything, good for you. Else, you know it in advance.
Isn't this whole thread kind of moot because Bladespells are ranged and MKJ only works with melee attacks?
Isn't this whole thread kind of moot because Bladespells are ranged and MKJ only works with melee attacks?

....?

At the end of each short rest or extended rest, select one of the following damage types: cold, fire, thunder, or lightning. Your attacks deal 1d4 extra damage of the selected damage type until the end of your next rest.
Ok, carry on. Thought there was a "melee" in there somewhere, but I guess not.
posts 23 and 24 = HAA !!!

Money Mouth

5E mini- SRD available now in HTML here:  http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tabletop/players-basic-rules

Sign In to post comments