Making a druid a healer? Hybrid maybe?

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
Not sure where best to put this, but is there a way to make a druid a healer in any way? A hybrid I would have to say it would have to be, but all the combinations I can think of don't seem to pair well. Or the way the stats work out just doesn't make it work as good as it should, given being a healer primary. Since I enjoy healing and we are starting over, thanks to not playing in ages, I need a new thing that could work, but can't survive on a at will from a warlord to hit and heal us. 

So  I need help on how to take the parts of a druid and make it into a healer. Especially at level 1. Sure a loophole would be saying I was with a druid ally and being primal and all that I dipped into their ways and could transform for short durations here and there. But theres a feat choice that kicks the rear on that.

So any of those out there, do you have any funtional combos that would let a healer be able to take on forms to do so? I can't figure out the druid (sentinal) thing at all since there isn't much difference besides taking a bear to buff everyones ac by 1. all defenses by 1 via a feat. Which isn't much to keep people alive with.

I suppose in a way I can home brew a lot. Say be a guardian but instead of ac, I get healing ability from constitution and after effects heal or inspire allies in non op ways. A pain to type out and change everything, but thats why I would like to try a more easy to build along the road option. Because we all would like to be able to turn into a bird and pose as a hunters pet. Or be a short class that turns into a huge bear and gets revenge to all who mocked him.

Sentinel Druid from Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.  It's not very good, but it is a Druid, and it is a healer.

Equally, I'd suggest Hybridding to Cleric or Shaman.  Shaman, in particular, has a WIS/CON build which would dovetail nicely.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
I'm not sure what you are asking. Are you looking for a way to heal while in beast form? If so I'm fairly certain such a method does not exists.

The sentinel druid can be a very effective class, the main diference between it and the regular druid typically being  melee vs ranged. The main use of the animal companion also tends to be to help set up field controll, or aiding allies in their chance to hit your enemies. ( The rogue will love you if your companion is the wolf.) 

You might also try hybriding a druid and a shamna together. They both use the same primary stat, and it would give you access to some healing powers.
Back in the days when Hide Armour Expertise let you use CON for AC I made a particularly nasty Shaman/Druid hybrid which had a good deal of both healing, enabling, and control.
Back in the days when Hide Armour Expertise let you use CON for AC I made a particularly nasty Shaman/Druid hybrid which had a good deal of both healing, enabling, and control.

An update that I still am opposed to. It punished more characters than it helped balance.
Fumbling around mostly, but I can try out a cleric or shaman. Same primary stats and wild form is a free will ability. So I can play with that. And the companion could always be handy. Especially since I can pull stuff out of my hat and deny the DM the ability to kill me. 

But I will try out that combo see if I can make it work out for me. I just have to decide what kind of pet to have with me. Bear is noce since extra ac plays a little, but extra damage and the other bonuses I cannot remember. 

Cleric is decent, but its flavor is meh if you become the healbot in scenarios. At the time the dm also had a character. (He now wants to kill us and have no character of his own. The correct way to dm) So I was never the target. 

Anyways, will be off to the builder and see what can hatch up.

Having a character in the party has never stopped my ability to kill party members, or heck, even my own character.

But Hide Armour Expertise was changed because it made the Rageblood barbarian too good. For a single feat they became one of the best AC classes in the game while also having great damage. Now of course they also published the whirling barbarian after, it doesnt have the damage output rageblood does.

Honestly Con shamans should have had Con to AC as a class feature, or feat. HAE still required shamans to jump through hoops as they needed to get hide proficinecy first.     
I understant the bit about balancing the rageblood barbarian, but it also made swarm druids almost unplayable, and hurt most of the other barbarian builds to a lesser extent.
I understant the bit about balancing the rageblood barbarian, but it also made swarm druids almost unplayable, and hurt most of the other barbarian builds to a lesser extent.

I had actually forgotten about swarm druids.  
Play a cleric, scratch out the word 'cleric' on top, write in 'druid', reflavor powers as necessary (radiant=sunlight), maybe MC into druid if you really, for some reason, want to Wildshape.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
If you dont really want wildshape, you can go sentinel/cleric or shaman hybrid, since the hybrid sentinel can choose normal druid powers then, and i think the sentinel can add its con to its AC. Plus that way also means you get 2 heals as a hybrid i think, since you get 1 from both classes. If you later decided you want wildshape i think you can pick it up as a feat aswell.
If wildshaping is important check out the Pack Outcast or any of the were-creature themes as well. You'll be limited to only one creature type, but Pack Outcast does not prohibit casting while in wolf form.
If you dont really want wildshape, you can go sentinel/cleric or shaman hybrid, since the hybrid sentinel can choose normal druid powers then, and i think the sentinel can add its con to its AC. Plus that way also means you get 2 heals as a hybrid i think, since you get 1 from both classes. If you later decided you want wildshape i think you can pick it up as a feat aswell.

The sentinel can always pick normal druid powers, and normal druids can always pick sentinel powers. You might have to click the show all power options button, or whatever it is called, but I assure you that it is an option. (Though a sentinel picking powers with the beast from keyword won't do you any good unless you have one of those were-animal themes.)

Unfortunatly I think the only way to pick up the ph2 druid beast form is to be either a ph2 druid, or a protector druid and take a feat.
I have made many hybrid "healer" Druids that I enjoyed playing. I love the Shaman/Druid; even though your AC is not great, ditch all of of your beast form stuff and just play a ranged Controller with Magic Stones and your Spirit Companion. You can have a ton of summoned creatures and it is a fun mix of powers.

I also have made hybrid Druid/Clerics, that benefit from the Cleric's hybrid Battle Cleric armor feature, and can be a completely different kind of PC: fighting with ranged or melee Cleric Wisdom attacks and healing, then shifting into beast form when the situation dictates to get off multi-target attacks. Or you could just go straight up ranged again.

We also have a Sentinel in my Paragon game, and it is a much more capable healer than many would have you believe.

I love the Druid so good luck!
I've played a sentinel druid up to paragon - I had absolutely no issue with feeling underpowered or in any way weak with my healing capability. He was a blast to play, in fact.  

I did multiclass into Shaman in order to take the 1/encounter healing feat: mending spirit. Otherwise I had my companion, summoned animals, and my shaman-acquired spirit companion running (or floating) around causing mayhem.
My party has a druid. Swarm one, who I was going to plan out that he would 'teach' me his ways. Which end of training would be when I have the feat to. But after buliding it and wondering what the heck healing spirit was and a few things you don't know what it is until you go to see the character sheet.

But right now, a class able to do decent damage or control, while also being able to give a few buffs such as a near static +1 to all defenses(thanks to a feat) And helping everyone be able to hit things with the wolf companion. Not to mention beingable to summon creatures with powers later. Some seem pretty neat and quite strong... Hard part is that while its doable, you can't just play pokemon and summon out 5 different creatures on top of the 2 always with you.  Great on the solo boss at the end. Summon for a few turns before anyone could need healing, and bam, your sides damage output skyrockets.

I didn't understand shaman until I played around and made a level 11 one to see how hybrids worked. Going and seeing that ability you really want, but have to pick one parts heal over the other for the flip flop. You see the things you could have and theres a lot of what coulds. Although having to plan out just what to need is the hard part with hybrids and any character. 

But in the end, honestly a lot of the more flavored things are making your own army. you can buff them, you can have them break doors down. you can ride one into battle. Don't need a hundred heals for people. (People have healing surges. They can use em.)

But anyways. I have what I feel is a pretty well smarted character. I tinkered with a few healing classes and made something that works on paper. I just have to inform my buddy to get rid of his confusing warlord. Something I didn't look at. 

Although I could always get healers lore or another heal from talents to stack extra umph onto heals. Never a bad option. Just wonder how it would work for when dm gets that aoe thing that works super well. since people get buffs for being next to my spirit companion and animal companion. Just sets everything up for him.

Thats the downside to the class combo.