So How does a warlock survive in a world that fears and hates him.

Obviously The fluff in the world of Magic is that Wizards hate warlocks and scorcerers I like that fluff it's actually quite fun and interesting. there's only one problem Being a warlock becomes pretty obvious as you continue to gain levels How do they hide in a civilized world.

It's even codified Fey Pact Warlocks Have a wart gold eyes spiderweb skars

All warlocks go off the deep end crazy

In my world that makes all warlocks DOA

A hugeley powerfull entity the Wizards guild has in fact hunted them for god knows how long they will pretty much have a checklist for the hunters with current information it would look like this.

Does the Suspect have a wart 
Does the Suspect Have gold eyes
Does the Suspect have spiderweb skars
Does the Suspect have an aversion to light
Does the Suspect talk like william shatner
Does the Suspect  Seem obseessed with your hand mirror

If any 3 of these are answered yes the suspect is most definetly a Warlock exterminate with extreme prejudice
If any of these are answered yes detain the suspect for further testing at the closest guild facility.

So how do they do it what keeps them alive do all Warlocks hide in the woods all the time?
The ability to charm others.

Edition wars kill players,Dungeons and Dragons needs every player it can get.

Because you throw that ridiculous nonsense out.
Another day, another three or four entries to my Ignore List.
The ability to charm others.

Good call but that ability only works if the victim has les HP than you and is only usable 2 times before you have to rest. in a reasonably stirred up town you are still likeley to encounter issues It does make the hermit Warlock a bit more believable though.
Great quetion, lets brainstorm Nexus.- How about the idea that perhaps the entity with whome he has his pact somehow helps him to mask his aura or his semblance ( identity) in public situations for a limited amount of time?  If wizards who are persecuting him can simply dispell this effect it would take some work to make this a viable solution, complete non detection would unbalance the effect.
Good points.

However witch hunts against everyone with warts might also turn the local populous against wizards.

Then you factor in ways to hide the wart. Veils for the ladies. Mustaches for the men.

The eyes are harder but these also work for you as a display of power that you can use to threaten villagers or show as a way to protect them.

Obviously The fluff in the world of Magic is that Wizards hate warlocks and scorcerers I like that fluff it's actually quite fun and interesting. there's only one problem Being a warlock becomes pretty obvious as you continue to gain levels How do they hide in a civilized world.

In my world that makes all warlocks DOA

A hugeley powerfull entity the Wizards guild has in fact hunted them for god knows how long they will pretty much have a checklist for the hunters with current information it would look like this.

Does the Suspect have a wart 
Does the Suspect Have gold eyes
Does the Suspect have spiderweb skars
Does the Suspect have an aversion to light
Does the Suspect talk like william shatner
Does the Suspect  Seem obseessed with your hand mirror

If any 3 of these are answered yes the suspect is most definetly a Warlock exterminate with extreme prejudice
If any of these are answered yes detain the suspect for further testing at the closest guild facility.

So how do they do it what keeps them alive do all Warlocks hide in the woods all the time?

I am not really sure if you are serious or not.  If you are serious I find your post staggeringly bizzar.

Where does it say, in either the Warlock or Wizard description that Wizards hate Warlocks?  I would think a Fey Warlock might be revered among the elves for their close connection to the summer court.  They might be admired for endruing the effects of their invocations and bringing the Elven people closer to their Fay patrons.  

As far as other peoples, I don't really see the Dwarves liking a creepy Elven Wizard any more than a creepy Elven Warlock.  I dont see a peasant favoring the wizard that can kill him with fireball with a thought over a Warlock who can kill him with an Eldrich Bolt with a thought.  

Great quetion, lets brainstorm Nexus.- How about the idea that perhaps the entity with whome he has his pact somehow helps him to mask his aura or his semblance ( identity) in public situations for a limited amount of time?  If wizards who are persecuting him can simply dispell this effect it would take some work to make this a viable solution, complete non detection would unbalance the effect.

Honestly I think the major issue is the madness caused by every incantation you get by 5th level the warlock is allready seriously psychologically handicapped to the point he in the modern world would likeley be on SSI If not institutionalized already. While I really like the Lovecraftian style thing going on with knowledge makes you crazy I think it needs to progress a bit slower.

The Appearance quirks could be easily fixed by not having every warlock in the same pact not have the same quirks Just simply put that at level 1 3 5 ect you your patron steals more of your beauty pick some effect EG a wart strange eye color or glowing eyes or spiderweb scars

Honestly I think the major issue is the madness caused by every incantation you get by 5th level the warlock is allready seriously psychologically handicapped to the point he in the modern world would likeley be on SSI If not institutionalized already. While I really like the Lovecraftian style thing going on with knowledge makes you crazy I think it needs to progress a bit slower.

The Appearance quirks could be easily fixed by not having every warlock in the same pact not have the same quirks Just simply put that at level 1 3 5 ect you your patron steals more of your beauty pick some effect EG a wart strange eye color or glowing eyes or spiderweb scars

It was in an article.  Legends and lore I think?

Good points. However witch hunts against everyone with warts might also turn the local populous against wizards. Then you factor in ways to hide the wart. Veils for the ladies. Mustaches for the men. The eyes are harder but these also work for you as a display of power that you can use to threaten villagers or show as a way to protect them.

Ahh you have to remember though that your dealing with a huge propaganda machine with the power of the mages guild immagine something similar to Salem and the church. That's pretty much the way I am seeing this play out.

It was in an article.  Legends and lore I think?

Yarr I actually like the whole Idea and will probabally work it in my campaign I can just hose rule all this stuff sure but you know IMO the crunch just doesn't support the fluff right now.

I would guess every warlock should lie well and wear disguises.
"What's stupid is when people decide that X is true - even when it is demonstrable untrue or 100% against what we've said - and run around complaining about that. That's just a breakdown of basic human reasoning." -Mike Mearls
That could happen in a kingdom where wizards are abundant.

What about one where wizards are reclusive and equally feared?

It really depends on how you set up your world.

Which leaves a wealth of creative setting options without changing the flavor but rather who is in the majority.

That could happen in a kingdom where wizards are abundant. What about one where wizards are reclusive and equally feared? It really depends on how you set up your world. Which leaves a wealth of creative setting options without changing the flavor but rather who is in the majority.

The thing is to me  Warlocks seem more easily vilified certainly cultures could differ from place to place. But the way propoganda works you need a solid example AKA We will certainly have an option for demon devil pacts which with a largley uneducated population it would be rediculously easy to make out that all Warlocks have made a del with the devil. It's also far easier to hide being a wizard the check list would look more like

Does he wear robes
does he have a pointy hat
does he carry around a big honkin book
does he have a stick

it just doesn't carry the same weight.

For myself, I'd let the idea of warlocks being hunted play out in the backround.  Nothing wrong with bringing it to the forefront on occasion of course, but it doesn't have to be an all-out thing.  It's just some flavor, some suggestions on how warlocks might fit into the world of D&D.  Any more than that is just over-thinking it.  That's my take.

Also, it's a two-way street.  Wizards and their ilk have as much to *fear* from warlocks as anyone.  Warlocks are dangerous, unpredictable foes.  Uneasy truces, of the "I know that you know, I know" sort.  

Constant all-out attacks or open warefare isn't outta the question of course.  If it's likely to disrupt the game though, I'd just let it play out in the backround.  Watch and wait.  I can imagine powerful enemies sizing each other up like that.

Last but not least:  PCs make up their own backrounds and stories.  Nothig says a PC warlock has to be a bad boy or girl.  That flavor suggestion would apply more to NPCs I think.
/\ Art
Warts are notoriously difficult to get rid of and dreadfully easy to catch. Warts would be every where in a fantasy setting. Every peasant would have a few.

We've only seen one pact. I fully expect there to be many, many more. Even the most studious of Wizards aren't going to know all of the things the great and powerful creatures use to mark their Warlocks.

What if a man displays marks from multiple masters? Surly he can't have more than one master!

It's easy to pick on the Warlock right now because we only have a single pact, therefore it is easy to classify who is and is not a 'Lock.
Warts are notoriously difficult to get rid of and dreadfully easy to catch. Warts would be every where in a fantasy setting. Every peasant would have a few.

We've only seen one pact. I fully expect there to be many, many more. Even the most studious of Wizards aren't going to know all of the things the great and powerful creatures use to mark their Warlocks.

What if a man displays marks from multiple masters? Surly he can't have more than one master!

It's easy to pick on the Warlock right now because we only have a single pact, therefore it is easy to classify who is and is not a 'Lock.

alright take out the wart really it's not a clincher the gold eyes on the other hand. my point is though if every warlock from fey pact has gold eyes and every warlock from the devil pact has red eyes it doesn't matter it just gets added to the checklist. you don't have to know every pact by heart you have a clip board provided every hunter by the guild that has such relevant informaton in there. Does this huge organization care that a few innocents may get whacked? Did the inquisition? Does anyone performing a wich hunt? The answer to all 3 is no.
Heck theres sureley tons of evil wizards abusing that athority all together.
For myself, I'd let the idea of warlocks being hunted play out in the backround.  Nothing wrong with bringing it to the forefront on occasion of course, but it doesn't have to be an all-out thing.  It's just some flavor, some suggestions on how warlocks might fit into the world of D&D.  Any more than that is just over-thinking it.  That's my take.

Also, it's a two-way street.  Wizards and their ilk have as much to *fear* from warlocks as anyone.  Warlocks are dangerous, unpredictable foes.  Uneasy truces, of the "I know that you know, I know" sort.  

Constant all-out attacks or open warefare isn't outta the question of course.  If it's likely to disrupt the game though, I'd just let it play out in the backround.  Watch and wait.  I can imagine powerful enemies sizing each other up like that.

Last but not least:  PCs make up their own backrounds and stories.  Nothig says a PC warlock has to be a bad boy or girl.  That flavor suggestion would apply more to NPCs I think.

But it doesn't matter if your a bad boy or girl Witch hunts don't determine right or wrong they just are. I'm not talking about wizards vs warlocks  I doubt Warlocks have a guild and I doubt most trust each other enough to band together.  So what you have is A large organization against you and no matter how wily or strong one is you lose that battle eventually.
Okay, so even using it straight up....

First, any wizard or hunter in a wizo's employ needs to be familiar with the different entities that warlocks make pacts with and with the common effects of said pact with each entity. Pacts with Verenestra will likely have much different effects than pacts with Mab, let alone a non-fey entity like Demogorgon. How common the knowledge of each entity amongst various groups of wizards will vary by entity, the general knowledge of the wizard group, and such. Even then, only those that study warlock pacts are likely to be passingly familiar with the effects of a pact with an entity they're familiar with.

Second, it depends on how common the effect of a pact is amongst non-warlocks. A facial wart is not very telling. Spiderweb-like scars are likely going to be far less common, but it's still not a smoking gun. Golden irises-that's a great give away (unless there are races that have that as a common feature and they're capable of interbreeding with other races). Then there's the ease or difficulty in concealing the various effects of a pact--some are extremely easy to hide.

Thirdly, the society in which the character lives in will play a major role. In a community that knows a warlock character well and feels that the character is harmless (hasn't done anything wrong) or even beneficial (has saved lives or what not), it's unlikely the witch hunters will be viewed with sympathy if they target the character. Also, a community that has a great rapport with fey will likely view warlocks with a pact with a fey entity pretty favorably--regardless of what some crusty old wizards (hey, ain't they witches themselves?) think.

There's a lot of legitimate and narrative-sensible ways that the issues of the OP are a non-issue.
I really want to play a lock in the OP's world for the challenge alone.

Perhaps I'll run a solo for you mike so you can give it the old college try. Whatcha say? The Knights need to play test him anyway.
Backround flavor for the classes don't necessarly apply to PCs, not in my games.  Even if say, warlocks are hated within the setting, as DM, I'm not gonna hold a player to that.  If it doesn't sound like fun to the player, then so be it.  The name of the game is to have fun.  

NPCs don't count, they're at the back of the stage ;).  An NPC warlock might be actively hunted but that's not gonna impact the PCs much (who stand at the front of the stage).  

Also, the flavor is only suggestive; I might ultimately decide that warlocks and wizards get along fine 'n' dandy.   Hell, if it weren't for warlocks digging up arcana in the first place, wizards might never have had an opportunity to study and research it.  So, maybe, they're actually gratful to 'locks in their own way.  Who's to say?  Again, the flavor only offers suggestions.  I take it from there.
/\ Art
I really want to play a lock in the OP's world for the challenge alone.

Like I said I really really like the Idea it's just the implementation and I'll houserule it any way but It just seems nonsensical to me to have a class be the target of whitch hunts when the class leaves such obvious marks on the character so early in the game it really really should be far more gradual. and with far more variation inside the varrying pacts.

Something like wart rough dry skin premature greying wrinkles save the Spiderweb scars and gold eyes for high level marks

With the way this pact looks I fully expect demon/devil pact warlocks to have full on goat hoves by 5th

once aggain I can and will hose rule it so the fluff can be supported I just really can't se why I should need to it seems reasonable to give some examples and leave the actuall marks up to the players and DM.
Tying Classes to specific backgrounds is not necessary. 

Imagine if I said that all fighters were trained by Bob. Anyone not trained by Bob is not a fighter. 

What if all wizards could only cast spells if they drank swamp water.

Its the type of flavor that would be interesting for a campaign setting, but not a generic class. The previous Pacts in 4e were very generic in my opinion. Demons, Extraplanar creatures, or Fey Lords. Maybe add in the specific demons or Fey Lords as backgrounds/specialties, but please keep normal classes generic. 
Ant Farm
Perhaps I'll run a solo for you mike so you can give it the old college try. Whatcha say? The Knights need to play test him anyway.

Tomorrow night? 9PM CST?

Well in a game I played, the DM made most people hate my near-isane doomsaying star-pact warlock until I played up his crazy via bluff checks to seem helplessly crazy.

But anyway, warlocks would be rare or organized depending on the patron. Remember, although warlock choose the easier route to  magic, few are ignorant. Most end up duing heavy reaseach or straight get lucky to get into contact with a patron. Good information on warlocks ould be hard to obtain.

Plus...
Warlocks are people who are many times still in contact with beings able to snap their fingers and give people magic powers.
You could probably get away with killing one or two warlocks who give you good reasons to slaying...
but actively hunting warlocks could put an archdevil or fey queen on your enemy list.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Well in a game I played, the DM made most people hate my near-isane doomsaying star-pact warlock until I played up his crazy via bluff checks to seem helplessly crazy.

But anyway, warlocks would be rare or organized depending on the patron. Remember, although warlock choose the easier route to  magic, few are ignorant. Most end up duing heavy reaseach or straight get lucky to get into contact with a patron. Good information on warlocks ould be hard to obtain.

Plus...
Warlocks are people who are many times still in contact with beings able to snap their fingers and give people magic powers.
You could probably get away with killing one or two warlocks who give you good reasons to slaying...
but actively hunting warlocks could put an archdevil or fey queen on your enemy list.

Ooh, nice point.  Nobody in their right mind wants to be in the crosshairs of an archduke of hell.  Such a being is ageless, so it can afford to take the time in hunt ya down, all proper like.  The archduke might even wait until you're at your weakest . . . perhaps on your deathbed . . .

All good, solid reasons for others to leave my PC warlock the hell alone ;).
/\ Art

Plus...

Ooh, nice point.  Nobody in their right mind wants to be in the crosshairs of an archduke of hell.  Such a being is ageless, so it can afford to take the time in hunt ya down, all proper like.  The archduke might even wait until you're at your weakest . . . perhaps on your deathbed . . .

Plot devices are good and fine and all but, you know they work both ways arch devil hunts down to many wizards magic god stomps arch devil. Honestly what does the arch devil really care in the first place he got his already. I could see some of the more amicable fey making it an issue posibly as they probably see the Warlock more as a servant than Contract and they may see it as a personal insult. But I figure the Arch devil will just see it as a shortcut to getting his petitioner now. Heck I suspect the Arch devils likeley behind the whitch hunt in the first place.
[Snipped for brevity]
Plot devices are good and fine and all but, you know they work both ways arch devil hunts down to many wizards magic god stomps arch devil. Honestly what does the arch devil really care in the first place he got his already. I could see some of the more amicable fey making it an issue posibly as they probably see the Warlock more as a servant than Contract and they may see it as a personal insult. But I figure the Arch devil will just see it as a shortcut to getting his petitioner now. Heck I suspect the Arch devils likeley behind the whitch hunt in the first place.

I'm picking up some great story ideas in these threads ;).  Love the idea of the archdevil (patron) itself being behind a witch hunt.  

Still, I'd use this idea for just one specific story.  I wouldn't require the PC warlock to constantly be on the run; maybe for a session or even an adventure, but certainly not for an entire campaign.  It would get old fast I think.
/\ Art

Thought this might be a good place to share a story I wrote about Vecna in my v3.5 homebrew setting:

The Secret History of Vecna
Vecna is widely regarded as the Arch Lich of Alphere, yet very little is known for certain about his time as a mortal.  The most frequent stories say that before he became a lich, Vecna ruled an ancient empire, using a different, yet unrevealed name.  Many sages believe Vecna was a human warlock (perhaps the first) infamous for trafficking with an archfiend referred to (in the most obscure of texts) as the Serpent.

According to legend, it was the Emperor who made first contact, drawing the archfiend’s attention to the mortal realm.  Had the Emperor not actively sought it out, the theory is that the archfiend might have been content to overlook Alphere altogether, thus sparing the land and its people from centuries of unrelenting strife and outright destruction at the hands of the fiends of the Underworld.

In his guise as Emperor, sitting upon the Spidered Throne, the man that would become known as Vecna is believed to have committed horrible evils, exploited the lives of anyone unfortunate enough to live under his rule.  That vicious rule ended however, when Vecna’s fiendish patron decided it was time to collect payment for the dark powers it had bestowed upon him.  When Vecna refused to submit, the archfiend called upon the vampire assassin known as Kas.  Its pact with Vecna was only one of many that the archfiend maintained in the mortal realm; Kas was another.

A ruthless warrior of unparalleled prowess and cruelty, sometimes known as the Bloody-Handed, Kas was set upon the trail of Vecna by the archfiend.  Realizing that the vampire was vastly more powerful, Vecna wisely decided to flee.   Kas pursued him for many years, and it was during this trying time that Vecna learned the importance of knowledge, and even more, the lure of secret knowledge.  If he should discover the right secret about his pursuer, Vecna knew that it would give him a much-needed advantage over Kas.  Secrets have power, if only because they are lost or a person deliberately did not want them to be found.  Vecna became obsessed with power in all its myriad forms.

Decades passed and Vecna continued on with Kas still in relentless pursuit.  Many times, in countless lands, the assassin came close to acquiring his target, but was never able to close in completely.  As an unaging vampire, Kas did not feel the passing of years, but Vecna was still mortal, and so inevitably, he began to slow.  He had never given up his own relentless pursuit of secrets however and eventually Vecna discovered the process that would transform him into lich, giving him a definite edge in the inescapable battle to come.  As an undead magic-user, Vecna would no longer need to be concerned with the frailty of his body.  By this time however, Kas had finally caught up with him.

Legends tell that the resulting battle raged for days, with Vecna employing dark magics the world had never known and Kas severing the lich's left hand and eye.  Earlier it was mentioned that if Vecna should discover the right secret about Kas that it would give him a much-needed advantage. Vecna had indeed learned just such a secret:  Kas' sword possessed actual sentience.  Using forgotten magic, the lich whispered privately into its thoughts, effectively driving the inhuman intelligence within the sword insane.  Fighting against his own sword in addition to Vecna, Kas was unable to bring the battle to a swift conclusion.

When the smoke and magic-storms cleared, all that remained of the evil combatants were three terrible artifacts, the Hand and Eye of Vecna and the Sword of Kas.  After the battle, the villains were thought destroyed; as of this writing however, final death is not to be had in either case.  In fact, Vecna continues to be pursued to this very day, although it is not Kas on his tail at the moment.  The archfiend, the Serpent himself, will make sure Vecna is held accountable.  Unlike Kas however, the archfiend is much more covert in the pursuit.  It is due in large part to his unearthing of dark knowledge and long-buried secrets, that Vecna is even aware of his fiendish pursuer and manages to stay one step ahead of him.

Centuries have passed, and the artifacts have traveled from land to and, sowing evil wherever they go.  Although his mortal realm was long broken, Vecna's name still carries a dread weight, and cults of fear grow about him.  Some seek his artifacts for their power, others think they are the keys to finding Vecna himself, and a few even wish to worship his greatness in hopes that he will teach them.  Vecna's cults are incredibly secret, often with no more than a handful of individuals meeting over the course of a year.  They remain quiet, communicating in codes and symbols drawn on doors or muttered in dark alleys.  While some join the cult willingly, many who join do so because another cultist knows some damning secret about them and the only way to mitigate it is through service or by learning a similar secret about their tormentor.

Dat's right, Vecna is a warlock in my homebrew, not a wizard ;).  Specifically, a warlock on the run.  Oh, and he's a 'fiend', not a deity (like in 3e and 4e).

I was inspired to write this after reading Core Beliefs: Vecna (in Dragon Magazine #348) by Sean K Reynolds.  Used some of his wording near the end in fact. 
/\ Art

Plus...

One of the background plots of this is my campaign is now this:

1) Archdevil makes a pact with a mad king.
2) Warlock King's cruelty causes a rebellion led by the churches and archmages
3) Paladins and Wizards go overboard and execute many warlocks of all stripes.
4) Fey Queen of Winter loses the warlocks she was draining happiness from.
5) Yetis
6) ???
7) Fey Divine Primal three way war.
8) Archdevils wring hands.

Orzel, Halfelven son of Zel, Mystic Ranger, Bane to Dragons, Death to Undeath, Killer of Abyssals, King of the Wilds. Constitution Based Class for Next!

Sounds full of win
There is also the easy way to deal with things.  It is called a good cloak with a deep hood that will hide most identifiable marks.
right because hoodies don't make you look suspicious or anything.

Problem Solved.
I think you might be jumping the gun on this one.  We are shown one pact at each level, but nothing says that those will be the only choices for the fey warlock to pick from.  There might be three at each level, making the combination of marks much more difused.  There might also be other conditions that cause yellow irises, etc. 

Not true.  The Fey Pact as described in the playtest document is for a singular fey patron, Verenestra, and the pact is flavored for her.  They could just s easily make another fey pact that is completely different, with costs that have no visible tells.

Nevermind the fact that no warlock worth his salt is going to go around and blatantly display his powers for all to see and, at the same time, start talking about how he got them (unless he's really hunting for someone to challenge him).  For most people, magic is magic.  A wizard could recreate pretty much any effect through the use of research.  Commoners wouldn't know the difference between a wizard, a sorcerer and a warlock, though they might fear the sorcerer, depending on his heritage and how much willpower he has remaining when they see him.

There are so many possible entities with which warlocks can make pacts that no list would be exhaustive enough to cover them.  It'd be like the Salem Witch Trials.  Sure, you might get some actual warlocks in your hunt, but the people you hunt down and kill would be mostly innocent victims.

A wart is not indicative of a pact.  Anyone can get a wart.  Gold eyes could be the result of some magical mishap, high elven blood, an alchemical side effect, or so on.  Scars could simply be scars.  Using these as official "Signs of Warlockdom" would be metagaming of the highest order, and I would call shenanigans on anyone doing so.

I see no evidence to that.  It may certainly be true of Far Pact warlocks, but it's not how all warlocks end up.
If they have gold eyes they might be a warlock... but they also might just be able to talk to wolves...

I just watched "jumpers" for the first time last night.  I now picture the wizard /warlock relationship like that :P 
..."window.parent.tinyMCE.get('post_content').onLoad.dispatch();" contenteditable="true" />There are so many possible entities with which warlocks can make pacts that no list would be exhaustive enough to cover them.  It'd be like the Salem Witch Trials.  Sure, you might get some actual warlocks in your hunt, but the people you hunt down and kill would be mostly innocent victims.

No right now there is 1 I don't expect that they will be making up a ton of different fey to make pacts with so it will always be this one unless we make it clear right now that we want the marks to be more adaptable.
I expect that demon, star, ect will all be codified in the same manner. as far as the salem witch trial referencd goes that's pretty much exactly what I am immagining. sure were going to catch some inocents. You have to break some eggs to make an omlete and all that jazz. It fits historically and from the fluff we have so far thematically.

A wart is not indicative of a pact.  Anyone can get a wart.  Gold eyes could be the result of some magical mishap, high elven blood, an alchemical side effect, or so on.  Scars could simply be scars.  Using these as official "Signs of Warlockdom" would be metagaming of the highest order, and I would call shenanigans on anyone doing so.

How on earth is that metagaming A large guild of wizards can and will research pacts take notes and share those notes between them believing otherwise is plain silly. Certainly A wart alone isn't indicative but if said warted person has gold eyes and spiderweb shaped scars Talks like william shatner can't stop looking at your hand mirror gets cranky in bright light . It's a pretty good indication that he's a warlock. 

I see no evidence to that.  It may certainly be true of Far Pact warlocks, but it's not how all warlocks end up.

I don't think the invocations that give you night terrors fascination with mirrors aversion to sunlight has to talk like shatner are specific to any pact. and by 5th level when you compile all this psycological and physical baggage it's getting pretty absurd.

As for people being scared of wizards sure people will be.  Much like any athority figure the Wizard carry's fear. Wizard guilds have been a part of D&D forever making Wizards a legit power structure. One with the power to manipulate people on a much larger scale than we can really even immagine. Look how easy it is to spread fear in the real world then add MAGIC. WOTC has chosen to make the fluf that wizards don't like the lesser arcanes. They have the power and athority to pump out propaganda that would make the cold war look like a dinner party.

As to smart warlocks not talking about it or using powers They don't have to It's plain as day. Who is the warlock? That weird looking guy with unnatural features that can't seem to hold his brain together sort of sticks out like a sore thumb. I guess you could pretend to be a homeless Lepper or whatever but at that point were back to playing hermit is your best option.

How on earth is that metagaming A large guild of wizards can and will research pacts take notes and share those notes between them believing otherwise is plain silly. Certainly A wart alone isn't indicative but if said warted person has gold eyes and spiderweb shaped scars Talks like william shatner can't stop looking at your hand mirror gets cranky in bright light . It's a pretty good indication that he's a warlock.

There might only be 2 such warlocks in all the world.  As I pointed out, there will likely be more abilities at each level to pick from, so a 5th level warlock might have a wart, golden blond eyebrows a voice that cracks like a 13 year old boy's, and sticky fingertips.    As Thewok pointed out, it is only for ONE fey patron, the many other patrons will have different marks and it isn't for any of the other types of warlocks.

Compiling a single combination of marks is out of the hundreds of thousands or millions of combinations that are available to the small population of warlocks is kinda useless and wouldn't be done. 

The easiest solution to this 'problem' is one word: or.  Instead of 'the character grows a wart', you make it 'the character grows a wart or' and then add other options.  There's even a fair chance WotC is going to do that for you, too.  Remember, it's a playtest.  We haven't seen everything that's gonna be there when it's up for sale.
Resident Prophet of the OTTer.

Section Six Soldier

Front Door of the House of Trolls

[b]If you're terribly afraid of your character dying, it may be best if you roleplayed something other than an adventurer.[/b]

Sign In to post comments