The adventure in this packet of goodies

I can give you some general advise...

1) Don't be afraid to make mistakes!  I still make them after over 30 years of DMing.  Find a way to smooth it over by adjusting on the fly, or just admit your mistake and move on.  And honestly, most the time no one cares or notices.  I have forgotten to apply special effects on creatures or timed events correctly... it didn't matter a whole lot.  We were enjoying the session and I just tweaked a little during the adventure to make up for what I forgot.

2) Take things at a pace your comfortable with.  You'll get better and faster with time, so don't rush it.  Players are happy to play (in general) and they need you.  Everyone profits when the DM is relaxed and enjoying him- or herself.

3) Read everything you can ahead of time.  Later on, as you get more comfortable, you'll be able to wing it more and pick things up on the fly, but for now, preperation is your best friend.  Keep note cards with key rules or creature stats on hand if that helps (I still do that when I have time even today in 4E because the weight of rules can be heavy).  Luckily, Next isn't that complicated, so there's a lot less prep necessary.  If you understand the roleplay and flow of the adventure, you'll have more than enough to run it.

3.1) Just noticed that Blingdenstone doesn't have creature stat blocks with the adventure. I suggest printing up a cheat sheet or using note cards, whatever, to have all the important creature stats on hand so you don't have to keep refering to the bestiary PDF.  CoC was much friendlier because everything you needed was right there.  This one really will run smoother for the prepared DM.

4) Let players be creative if they want and be open minded.  Also, don't try to make them do what you think they should do (unless they stall and need a nudge), just use descriptive hints and roleplay to guide them but leave their fate in their own hands.  The vast majority of groups will take the bait because they want to succeed and they want to hear what the DM has prepared for them.

5) You are there to have fun, too.

There's probably more I could offer, but I have to get ready for a dinner meeting so need to skedaddle.

DMing isn't as hard as it looks but it does comes with an investment in time. It is very rewarding, though, as you get to weave a grand tapestry of wonders, trials, and triumphs for your players to unveil.  
Personally I am going to re-purpose the interior location in the adventure with my own game. I'm personally not interested in the storyline that is in the packet, but I see them as just starting off points to use as reference.
Ant Farm
Giving a +1 to ShadeRaven's suggestions. I always keep a stack of 3x5 index cards to use as cheat sheets
Sign In to post comments