B/x (primarily B/r) Zombies tournament centre writeup?

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
What is Zombies?
Show
Zombies is one of Magic's earliest black tribes, given new unlife by Innistrad block with Gravecrawler and Geralf's Messenger. It can be augmented with either blue (Diregraf Captain, Phantasmal Image and Vapor Snag) or red (Bonfire of the Damned, Falkenrath Aristocrat, burn or Manic Vandal. Blood Artist is a vital card to the deck's success, but isn't STRICTLY necessary.

Why should I play Zombies?
Show
Because you're broke and you can't afford to play U/W, because black has supplanted red as the sligh colour and because you cherish the laments of control and aggro alike. While testing this, my friend thought I was cheating every time he saw his life total, he was gettin' drained so damn fast. As an added bonus, this deck loses basically nothing vital with the rotation and will probably be the go-to deck for release day tournaments. You can just laugh at all the suckers paying $30-40 for Rav duals on-site (assuming they even get reprinted) or frantically cracking packs and winding up with trash.
When I began this writeup (about early-July), the creatures in this deck were much cheaper. Still shouldn't be hard to trade for at around 5-6 each.

How does this deck win?
Show
Be, aggressive, B-E aggressive. But know when you are control. Mid-late game will be spent whacking creatures for your amusement and sustenance, and the loss of life to your opponent just keeps stacking. Late-game, you can win by continuously saccing Gravecrawler, especially when you've got multiple Blood Artist out. Awwwwww yeaaah.

What's the core of the deck look like?
Show
As of the time of this writing (082212), I would not even for a moment consider running any variation of this deck without the following:

and enough (AT LEAST 22) land, because mana screw sucks.

What's your personal build look like?
Show
As of 082212, something close to this:
[deck]4 Blood Artist
4 Diregraf Ghoul
4 Falkenrath Aristocrat
3 Fume Spitter
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Bonfire of the Damned
3 Geth's Verdict
3 Incinerate
2 Mortarpod
3 Pillar of Flame
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
2 Cavern of Souls
4 Dragonskull Summit
1 Mountain
12 Swamp
-
1 Geth's Verdict
3 Manic Vandal
2 Mark of Mutiny
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
4 Slagstorm
3 Tragic Slip[/deck]

Sample lists?
Show
Yu Min Yang, reppin' the Chinese Taipei all up in this World Magic Cup on 081912! Pretty sure they won the cup, though decklists.net has this deck at third place.
[deck]4 Blood Artist
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Fume Spitter
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
3 Brimstone Volley
2 Go For The Throat
2 Mortarpod
4 Sign In Blood
3 Tragic Slip
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Cavern Of Souls
4 Dragonskull Summit
12 Swamp
-
2 Arc Trail
2 Despise
1 Distress
2 Geth's Verdict
2 Nihil Spellbomb
1 Phyrexian Metamorph
2 Pillar Of Flame
2 Smelt
1 Surgical Extraction
[/deck]

Adam Bubar of Poland, World Magic Cup, 081912
[deck]4 Blood Artist
4 Diregraf Ghoul
3 Falkenrath Aristocrat
2 Fume Spitter
4 Geralf's Messenger
4 Gravecrawler
3 Highborn Ghoul
2 Phyrexian Metamorph
1 Vampire Nighthawk
3 Brimstone Volley
1 Doom Blade
1 Flames Of The Firebrand
2 Mortarpod
4 Tragic Slip
4 Blackcleave Cliffs
3 Cavern Of Souls
4 Dragonskull Summit
11 Swamp
-
2 Duress
1 Flames Of The Firebrand
2 Geth's Verdict
1 Go For The Throat
2 Liliana Of The Veil
3 Nihil Spellbomb
2 Skirsdag High Priest
2 Smelt[/deck]

Cards that I would strongly consider post-rotation (for now, there are slightly better options):

Miscellaneous notes on specific cards:
Show
Cavern of Souls - Honestly, don't want more than 2-3, in my opinion. It can sometimes make the mana slightly awkward, especially once Blackcleave Cliffs goes away. Be careful.
Duty-Bound Dead/Knight of Infamy - Having briefly tested with small numbers of exalted weenies in here, I REALLY love what they do to my game. A pumped Gravecrawler can be traded for an opposing creature and simply replayed (if they're dumb/desperate enough to block it), and the Knight puts a counter on Falkenrath Aristocrat when you need it.
Appetite for Brains - Probably the best answer to Thragtusk, as this creature is made of back-breaking card advantage.
Duress - When control comes back, we'll be ready for it.
Sign in Blood - Draws -OR- kills!

Never done a write-up before and don't have graphics. Input from folks who know what the crap they're doing is appreciated. Will add matchups/'boarding info after this FNM, if I'm able to go.
I watched yang's finals game online.  He definitely won and that's definitely his list.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.
Sweet. I freaking love this deck. <3
Wait... How does cavern make mana wierd?
Doesn't tap for coloured mana that isn't a spell of the chosen creature type and sometimes I'll get stuck on a swamp and a Cavern and need to name vampire to slip an Artist under the wall of countermagic and then be able to play exactly one 1-cc zombie a turn.
Ah, I see
Can someone either clean this up and move it to Tier 1/2, or rewrite it and move it? It appears to be an actual deck now.