Looking for opinions on a standard legal mono black aggro zombie deck with a splash of blue...

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just getting back into MTG, looking to play some casual FNM. With the help of a friend I've been putting together an "Aggro Zombie" deck. Mostly focusing on undying/revival, removal, and getting tokens into play and buffing them up with the Diregraf Captain. I have a list of the creatures, sorceries/instants, and lands that I'm working with below. I've put all the cards I've been looking at (+ a few that I didn't really like but maybe I'm not noticing something someone else can). I have a 60 card selection out of these, but I'd like to see if anyone else can put together a good selection that is something different than my choice. I'm going for real good card synergy so from the start I can start building my horde. I'm looking forward to all suggestions! Thanks.

Here's the list so far: 

Creatures:
x4 Gravecrawler
x4 Diregraf Ghoul
x4 Geralfs Messenger
x3 Diregraft Captain
x4 Unbreathing Horde
x3 Highborn Ghoul

Undecided Creatures:
Walking Corpse
Undead Alchemist
GrimGrin, Corpse Born
Liliana of the Veil
Blood Artist

Instants/Sorceries:
x4 Bone Splinters
x2 Vile Rebirth
x2 Endless Ranks of the Dead
x2 Exquisite Blood
x2 Altar's Reap
x2 Tragic Slip

Lands:
Basics
Drowned Catacombs

Other Undecided/Side Deck Cards:
Crypt Creeper
Undying Evil
Curse of Deaths Hold
Human Frailty
Mind Rot
Cower in Fear
Duress
Appetite for Brains
Barter in Blood
Victim of Night
Tribute to Hunger
Unhallowed Pact
Zombie Apocalypse
Ghoulcallers Chant
Ghoulraiser
Moan of the Unhallowed

mtgtop8.com/event?e=2984&d=218894

Buy every card in that deck and you'll do fantastic.
mtgtop8.com/event?e=2984&d=218894

Buy every card in that deck and you'll do fantastic.

Would love to build that, but don't think I'd get much used out of it since the block is about to rotate in a months time :/
Then buy what you can and base it off of that? I don't understand what the problem is here. I recommend a card you say you dont have the money. Those are the best cards for the color and type you want. Get what you can and use it, everything else is not as good.
Then buy what you can and base it off of that? I don't understand what the problem is here. I recommend a card you say you dont have the money. Those are the best cards for the color and type you want. Get what you can and use it, everything else is not as good.

First of all.. Money has nothing to do with it, I'm just not going to buy cards from the block that's about to rotate, that I'll get to use at a max of 3 FNMs at my local shop. 8 of the cards in that deck are about to rotate, and the rest, I already had on my list...

First of all.. Money has nothing to do with it, I'm just not going to buy cards from the block that's about to rotate, that I'll get to use at a max of 3 FNMs at my local shop. 8 of the cards in that deck are about to rotate, and the rest, I already had on my list...

Why not? Fume spitter is really good and he's a common.  Skinrender is really good against bladespliced tokens ( rotation or not, people at your fnm will be running blade splicer) and both of the 'pods do important things for you.  If money has nothing to do with it, then you are needlessham making things difficult on yourself.
Next thing you will tell me Browbeat is bad.

Why not? Fume spitter is really good and he's a common.  Skinrender is really good against bladespliced tokens ( rotation or not, people at your fnm will be running blade splicer) and both of the 'pods do important things for you.  If money has nothing to do with it, then you are needlessham making things difficult on yourself.

I'm getting at the fact that I'll be able to at most get to 3 FNMs and that's being leanient. Why would I spend time ordering the cards to use them once, twice, or three times at most in the Standard FNM before I have no use for them. I'll only be doing Standard FNM. I'm running gravecrawlers and messengers, running sacrafice cards to get morbid effects and revial cards to repeat + removals and burn cards, as well as token generating cards with the diregraf captains that give +1/+1 to zombies, and also take 1 life when a zombie dies, and that along with blood artist. Every card in the list runs greatly together, and will be in standard for the next year.
Honestly I'm suprised your local shop doesen't have a fair amount of these in a book for  a quarter or two a piece. Most of the time cards like this you can grab at a shop before FNM. If you have to order online to get somehting good so be it. The people in standard deck help that want to beat the standard decks but end up playing block format just because the sets are cycling will fall flat every time. 
Honestly I'm suprised your local shop doesen't have a fair amount of these in a book for  a quarter or two a piece. Most of the time cards like this you can grab at a shop before FNM. If you have to order online to get somehting good so be it. The people in standard deck help that want to beat the standard decks but end up playing block format just because the sets are cycling will fall flat every time. 

Yeah I already have all of the basic commons/uncommons, I just don't have the rares which I'll be purchasing off of eBay, once I decide on what's just right. All of the cards I have listed above are good for another year. I won't really be doing anything other than attending FNMs for standard play.
Sign In to post comments