Most Annoying Level 3 Character?

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm helping a friend build a character for a campaign, and he was looking for a build that would be annoying for the DM. I'm aware of a few, but none that are possible at level 3. Any suggestions for a level 3 character to be annoying (in some way: really hard to hit, excessive damage, something like that)?
Assuming serious question, you're looking for one of two things: immediate interrupts which nullify an enemy's action, or powers which can immobilize, slow, prone etc. melee monsters out of reach of your party. 

For the first, I think a hybrid warlord|X will do best, where X is swordmage or artificer. For the second, probably a wizard. 

Please remember to keep your comments positive, productive, and on topic. Remember we are trying to create a
mutually beneficial and productive community for everyone to take part in.

At the end of the day we are all in this thing together, and if we don't work together we will never get anywhere!

If you have any questions or would like to read the CoC you can find it here:

company.wizards.com/conduct

Remember, Keep it clean, Keep it nice, and of course Keep it fun!

Thank you for your understanding!

Wow, please dont take these posts too personally.

I'm going to assume that you still want to have fun, as most of the truely "annoying" characters are a pain to use correctly. When you fail to use your uber-hybrid-muchkin-lord-boss-combobreaker-CharOps-build-robot-monster in a logical fasion, the DM will kill you and laugh at your foolishness. 

So, I offer to you, Itchy the Goblin. Itchy is fun to play, because he is in almost perpetual motion. Itchy is not difficult to play or understand. There should be not one round were Itchy is not shifting/teleporting/spider climbing/ect. Every DM I have played Itchy with remarks how unpredictable Itchy is. This unpredictablity is what makes Itchy "annoying". However, Itchy has never been so annoying as compel a DM to ban him. Actually, Itchy has been recently invited to a game.

Hexblade, Goblin, Lady of the White Well, 20 Cha @ level 1. As a Goblin, when an enemy misses you with a melee attack, you shift. As a Fey Warlock, everytime you kill an enemy you teleport. You will probably take rod experties, and wrist biter feats. Rod Ex gives you increased attk and def scores, and wrist biter means every time Itchy is missed with a melee attack, he can do 1d4 dmg. White Well Warlocks deal 1D12 Radiant Damage at will, making Itchy the bain of many Undead.

Itchy MUST be unpredictable and constantly moving, getting locked down has lead to many deaths saving throws. As you level him up, focus on utilities that keep Itchy moving even if there are walls, pits, difficult terrain, water, fire, whatever. Born Under A Bad Sign for HP bonus, as the risk vs reward ratio with Itchy can be high.

So when Itchy goes barrelling into a crowd of minions, they swing, they miss, they die, and Itchy gets away with his Teleport. I have cleared many a minion mob with this simple tactic. 

When the boss battle starts, Itchy kills the minion to the left, teleports into just the right spot, action points Mists of Madness, and forces the Boss monster to hurt his Lurker/Artillery while he uses his move action to get out of dodge. I have even used Mists of Madness to force a marked enemy to attack Itchy, thus tiggering the mark (and all bad stuff with it), and letting Itchy shift+1d4 damage.

Skills, Bluff for sure. All else is up to personal discretion. Roleplay, make yourself "unaligned" as Lawful good doesn't really fit, and Chaotic Evil will only make the DM focus on Itchy more then they really need to. You don't want to get focused on, you want to have fun.

I can't optimize Itchy for you, and there isnt much point @ level 3. However if you focus on having fun and playing naturally you will find a fun character in Itchy. Fun enough to keep around, strange enough to keep those pesky DMs on their toes. As many other boards can discribe, the DM will get annoyed naturally, as the party lays waste to his best plans, dodges all his prepared encounters, and calls him out of his bluffs. One does not need a hacked out character to achieve that.
Hybrid swordmage|wizard.
D&D Next = D&D: Quantum Edition
Perma-stealth can be annoying.  Especially with some imagination (i.e. thievery check to take the enemies weapons before battle).  You need to be human (for the extra feat) to do it by level 3.

Oh, and pixie ranger on a raptor.

guides
List of no-action attacks.
Dynamic vs Static Bonuses
Phalanx tactics and builds
Crivens! A Pictsies Guide Good
Power
s to intentionally miss with
Mr. Cellophane: How to be unnoticed
Way's to fire around corners
Crits: what their really worth
Retroactive bonus vs Static bonus.
Runepriest handbook & discussion thread
Holy Symbols to hang around your neck
Ways to Gain or Downgrade Actions
List of bonuses to saving throws
The Ghost with the Most (revenant handbook)
my builds
F-111 Interdictor Long (200+ squares) distance ally teleporter. With some warlord stuff. Broken in a plot way, not a power way.

Thought Switch Higher level build that grants upto 14 attacks on turn 1. If your allies play along, it's broken.

Elven Critters Crit op with crit generation. 5 of these will end anything. Broken.

King Fisher Optimized net user.  Moderate.

Boominator Fun catch-22 booming blade build with either strong or completely broken damage depending on your reading.

Very Distracting Warlock Lot's of dazing and major penalties to hit. Overpowered.

Pocket Protector Pixie Stealth Knight. Maximizing the defender's aura by being in an ally's/enemy's square.

Yakuza NinjIntimiAdin: Perma-stealth Striker that offers a little protection for ally's, and can intimidate bloodied enemies. Very Strong.

Chargeburgler with cheese Ranged attacks at the end of a charge along with perma-stealth. Solid, could be overpowered if tweaked.

Void Defender Defends giving a penalty to hit anyone but him, then removing himself from play. Can get somewhat broken in epic.

Scry and Die Attacking from around corners, while staying hidden. Moderate to broken, depending on the situation.

Skimisher Fly in, attack, and fly away. Also prevents enemies from coming close. Moderate to Broken depending on the enemy, but shouldn't make the game un-fun, as the rest of your team is at risk, and you have enough weaknesses.

Indestructible Simply won't die, even if you sleep though combat.  One of THE most abusive character in 4e.

Sir Robin (Bravely Charge Away) He automatically slows and pushes an enemy (5 squares), while charging away. Hard to rate it's power level, since it's terrain dependent.

Death's Gatekeeper A fun twist on a healic, making your party "unkillable". Overpowered to Broken, but shouldn't actually make the game un-fun, just TPK proof.

Death's Gatekeeper mk2, (Stealth Edition) Make your party "unkillable", and you hidden, while doing solid damage. Stronger then the above, but also easier for a DM to shut down. Broken, until your DM get's enough of it.

Domination and Death Dominate everything then kill them quickly. Only works @ 30, but is broken multiple ways.

Battlemind Mc Prone-Daze Protecting your allies by keeping enemies away. Quite powerful.

The Retaliator Getting hit deals more damage to the enemy then you receive yourself, and you can take plenty of hits. Heavy item dependency, Broken.

Dead Kobold Transit Teleports 98 squares a turn, and can bring someone along for the ride. Not fully built, so i can't judge the power.

Psilent Guardian Protect your allies, while being invisible. Overpowered, possibly broken.

Rune of Vengance Do lot's of damage while boosting your teams. Strong to slightly overpowered.

Charedent BarrageA charging ardent. Fine in a normal team, overpowered if there are 2 together, and easily broken in teams of 5.

Super Knight A tough, sticky, high damage knight. Strong.

Super Duper Knight Basically the same as super knight with items, making it far more broken.

Mora, the unkillable avenger Solid damage, while being neigh indestuctable. Overpowered, but not broken.

Swordburst Maximus At-Will Close Burst 3 that slide and prones. Protects allies with off actions. Strong, possibly over powered with the right party.

Flail expertise, Dragging Flail, Mark of Storm, Lightning weapon flail.  Level 3 human fighter.  Stop, drop, and prone on OAs.  At level 3, that's about as good as you'll get on at-will annoyance.

Bargle wrote:
This is CharOp. We not only assume block-of-tofu monsters, but also block-of-tofu DMs.

Zelink wrote:
You're already refluffing, why not refluff to something that doesn't suck?
looking for a build that would be annoying for the DM

This is a bit worrisome.  Why would you ever want to be annoying the DM?  It just doesn't seem like a good thing to do in most situations, like ever.  Hell, those few situations where it might be even remotely reasonable, it'd be a far better idea to simply leave said group and try to find another one.

Very few players like instant gib bullcrap DM tactics that give you no chance or annoy the everloving heck out of you.  Why would you ever want to do something similar? 

This is a bit worrisome.  Why would you ever want to be annoying the DM?  It just doesn't seem like a good thing to do in most situations, like ever.  Hell, those few situations where it might be even remotely reasonable, it'd be a far better idea to simply leave said group and try to find another one.

Very few players like instant gib bullcrap DM tactics that give you no chance or annoy the everloving heck out of you.  Why would you ever want to do something similar? 

My reading of "annoying" is "stops the DM from doing what he wants."

Builds that do that force the DM to change tactics, and that makes for a more interesting tactical game. First paragon LFR I DM'd had a warden that made it very difficult to get to squishy members of the party, and even when focus firing the warden, I couldn't bring him down. It was annoying personally, but fun tactically. 
Isn't the answer "basically any defender or controller" ?

It's their goal to annoy the DM out of doing what he wants to do. 

This is a bit worrisome.  Why would you ever want to be annoying the DM?

Because that's a sign you've built a highly effective controller 
I think we're working off different definitions of annoy here.  A great defender or controller is meant to give the DM a serious challenge, making it difficult for him to run rampant in the group, definitely.  An annoying character just makes the DM want to kill them hard, and possibly the player as well.  We've all had groups with a guy like that, you know you have too.

Something tells me that Icarus is looking for the latter.  Mind you, I have no issue whatsoever being wrong about that. 
The determination of whether an effective controller is annoying though is DM-dependent.  I love it when my players ruin all my carefully planned Team Monster tactics, but I've also had situations where other DMs took it as a personal insult that they weren't getting to play with their toys.

Hybrid swordmage|wizard.

I was thinking of playing one levels 1-3 starting next week, Human, Aegis of Assault, Intelligent Blademaster, Hybrid Talent Swordmage Warding, and then Versatile Expertise, with Beast Switch and Sword Burst.  Can't decide on grabbing a third At-Will or keeping Heroic Effort.  

Curious if that was what you were thinking.

More "wizards are jerks" and "swordmages are jerks too" than anything specific, but yeah.  Just be sure to pick up things like Dimensional Vortex and Transposing Lunge.
Playing characters to annoy your DM if you have a good relationship with your DM and they like the challenge is fine.

Playing characters to annoy your DM because you have issues with him or are being a jerk is not fine.

I agree with Mand12, in that my regular DM said the most annoying PC he ever faced in 4E was my illusionist wizard.  It was a good annoyance as he saw it as a fun challenge most of the time.  DMs in my experience are more annoyed by action denial than anything else.
The DM for the game my swordmage was in eventually started asking me "So do I get to actually attack this time, or no?"  And then I'd ponder...."Sure, I'll let it slide this time."  *rolls*  "Oh, nevermind, the damage you dealt is reduced to meaninglessness."

Good times.
In our 2 seperate campaings, there is one player, the same guy, who plays in one a Barbarian and in the other a monk.

WHile for many of you those maybe don't compete for the most annoying, the problem is that the player has an habit of doing a lot of crits...and i mean a lot!

So its customary that the Barbarian kills 2 to 3 mobs in one turn(usually the first), and that the monk fly all over the room and clean it good, where we have to just clean up the rests.

It annoys the Dm, but he laught about it, because he says its very cinematic!
The DM for the game my swordmage was in eventually started asking me "So do I get to actually attack this time, or no?"  And then I'd ponder...."Sure, I'll let it slide this time."  *rolls*  "Oh, nevermind, the damage you dealt is reduced to meaninglessness."

Good times.

Yeah, SMs and SM Hybrids are rather absurd in that area. The perception and subsequent removal of choice is really annoying as a DM, I'd rather be stunned than be able to roll an attack and start picking up my dice for damage only to hear "Does a 43 hit your Will? I teleport you over here and now you're hitting your buddy"
"Invokers are probably better round after round but Wizard dailies are devastating. Actually, devastating is too light a word. Wizard daily powers are soul crushing, encounter ending, havoc causing pieces of awesome." -AirPower25 Sear the Flesh, Purify the Soul; Harden the Heart, and Improve the Mind; Born of Blood, but Forged by Fire; The MECH warrior reaches perfection.
As I said.  Swordmages are jerks.