AA42 Rules Clarification

2 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sorry, I used the wrong code as I have the Axis & Allies Revised and not 1942, so code should be AAR for this post.  Although it may apply to 1942 as well as I am not sure yet what the difference are concerning these rules for both games.

I need clarification on a few rules:

1)  Does the 2 hit to destroy battleships rule apply to both Defending and Attacking battleships?  The rules book does not specify leading us to believe that it applies to both situations, but the country reference cards has a notation for the battleships only in the Defense column stating it takes 2 hits to destory, which lead us to believe that the 2 hit rule only applies to defending Battleships.  Please clarify.

2) Need Clarification on submarine sneak attack/defense.

• When submarines use their sneak Attack option (no destroyers present), I understand that those units hit are gone with no defense fire.  Does that end one round of combat or do the remaining defending units get to fire back once as well?  If correct, it is my understanding that the remaining units can then fire once in defense without a return fire from the subs.  Also I need to clarify, that at this point (both sides have fired) the subs would then have the option to retreat correct?

• When submarines use their sneak Defense option (no destroyers present), I understand that those units hit are gone with no return fire.  Since they are in a defense mode, again does that end one round of combat or do the remaining attacking units get to fire back once as well?  Also do defending subs have the option to submerge (retreat basically) as well or do they have to remain since they are in defense mode?

• It is then my understanding that Destroyers negate the sneak attack/defense option and regular combat ensues, and subs can not submerge either, correct?

• If UK has ships (no destroyers) are stationed in sea zone 5 (Germany), and Germany deploys new subs in sea zone 5, would combat be forced during UKs combat sequence? Or do they have the option not to combat subs?  If they have the option not to combat, would they have to retreat if they choose not to combat? If they are forced to combat or choose to combat the subs, is it also my understanding that after the first round of fire by both sides that the defending subs could submerge ending combat and then would be available to combat again on Germany's combat turn?

3) Transport clarification:  Example: If a UK transport in sea zone 12, picked up an infantry in Algeria, moved through sea zone 13 to sea zone 14 (a 2 space move) and picked up a tank from Libya, could it also offload to Southern Europe, since it is in the same sea zone?  So it is making 2 loads, moving 2 spaces and making 1 offload in the 2nd space.

Thanks for all your help.
Welcome, Britonius!

1)  Does the 2 hit to destroy battleships rule apply to both Defending and Attacking battleships?  The rules book does not specify leading us to believe that it applies to both situations, but the country reference cards has a notation for the battleships only in the Defense column stating it takes 2 hits to destory, which lead us to believe that the 2 hit rule only applies to defending Battleships.  Please clarify.

It applies to both.

When submarines use their sneak Attack option (no destroyers present), I understand that those units hit are gone with no defense fire.  Does that end one round of combat or do the remaining defending units get to fire back once as well?  If correct, it is my understanding that the remaining units can then fire once in defense without a return fire from the subs.  Also I need to clarify, that at this point (both sides have fired) the subs would then have the option to retreat correct?

The remaining units do return fire.  The surviving subs may then retreat, submerge, or continue the attack.
Note that defending subs will return fire even if they are hit, as their fire is simultaneous.

When submarines use their sneak Defense option (no destroyers present), I understand that those units hit are gone with no return fire.  Since they are in a defense mode, again does that end one round of combat or do the remaining attacking units get to fire back once as well?  Also do defending subs have the option to submerge (retreat basically) as well or do they have to remain since they are in defense mode?

The remaining attacking units do fire.  The surviving subs may then either submerge or continue to defend.

It is then my understanding that Destroyers negate the sneak attack/defense option and regular combat ensues, and subs can not submerge either, correct?

Yes.  However, the subs will regain those abilities if at any point there are no longer any opposing destroyers.

If UK has ships (no destroyers) are stationed in sea zone 5 (Germany), and Germany deploys new subs in sea zone 5, would combat be forced during UKs combat sequence? Or do they have the option not to combat subs?  If they have the option not to combat, would they have to retreat if they choose not to combat?

The UK ships must either move away in combat movement or fight the subs.

If they are forced to combat or choose to combat the subs, is it also my understanding that after the first round of fire by both sides that the defending subs could submerge ending combat and then would be available to combat again on Germany's combat turn?

Correct.
3) Transport clarification:  Example: If a UK transport in sea zone 12, picked up an infantry in Algeria, moved through sea zone 13 to sea zone 14 (a 2 space move) and picked up a tank from Libya, could it also offload to Southern Europe, since it is in the same sea zone?  So it is making 2 loads, moving 2 spaces and making 1 offload in the 2nd space.

Yes, assuming all of those sea zones are friendly.
Sign In to post comments