GW Golems

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
With rotation coming around at the end of next month, I wanted to make something fun to play during the FNM that wasn't what everyone else is running. 

Creatures - 21
4x Avacyn's Pilgrim
2x Llanowar Elves
3x Elvish Visionary 
4x Blade Splicer
4x Master Splicer
2x Solemn Simulacrum
3x Precursor Golem 
1x Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite 

Other Spells - 18 
4x Mirran Mettle
4x Unnatural Predation
4x Oblivion Ring  
3x Rancor
3x Beast Within

Land - 21
2x Ravorverge Thicket 
4x Sunpetal Grove 
9x Forest 
6x Plains 

With rotation coming around at the end of next month, I wanted to make something fun to play during the FNM that wasn't what everyone else is running. 

I like it. I'd be kinda afraid to cast Precursor without beast within in my hand, might also benefit from Garruk
Although your count is wrong. There are 62 cards.

I'd also remove the rancors and a couple spells for some more creatures or Garruk
Tainted Strike can end games fast

Also, run Restoration angel and Cloudshift

Apostle's Blessing too, that will save your golems. or Ranger's Guile works just as fine. 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

I decided to drop the Solemn Simulacrum and a Master Splicer and add another Elf. For the spells, I dropped Mirran Mettle and Rancor and added 3x Cloud Shift and 3 Garruk, Primal Hunter. 

I went with Unnatural Predication because +1/+1 and trample was just too nice to give up with mixed in with other +/+ abilities and first strike. I'm not so much worried about Precursor Golem, because like Seishin implied (or I felt it was) Beast Within just turns everything into 3/3 Beasts (or 5/5 if Elesh Norn is on the board).

Restoration Angel would be a nice card, but I'm unsure of what I would take out aside from a mana dork, which is nessicary to get the deck moving with a Blade Splicer on turn 2. Tainted Strike is also an interesting choice, I feel like it's something I would consider play testing. 
I think Solemn is important for mana, card advantage AND he's a golem. A lot of people forget he is a Golem. I was play testing a modified version of this deck on Cockatrice. I took a lot of the spells out. Threw in 2 Garruks. Added in a Solemn and 3 cloudshift. Took the elf down to 1 since Solemn also adds a card.
It holds its own. Ratchet bomb and field wipes destroy the deck though.
I thought about that, I was thinking Mimic Vat to snag Precursor Golem on the board wipe and then bring it in as a source of golem tokens as I went about repairing my board with Splicers.

I also thought about adding in Phyrexian Metamorph in to do with creatures or to create more Golems. 
Sign In to post comments