Magic Shields

8 posts / 0 new
Last post
Do magic shields also confer bonuses to AC.
I ask this because the item description do not include it, nor does CB allow you to equip it to your off-hand. CB only allows the magic shield to be equiped to the Arm slot (which makes sense) but the AC does not improve.
A magic shield does not have an enhancement bonus, and does not have any additional AC bonus over a nonmagical shield. Magical shields instead have the benefit of special powers or properties.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."

It should, however, confer the normal, non-magical bonus to AC.  I'm pretty sure the CB has a known and notorious bug in this regard.
Harrying your Prey, the Easy Way: A Hunter's Handbook - the first of what will hopefully be many CharOp efforts on my part. The Blinker - teleport everywhere. An Eladrin Knight/Eldritch Knight. CB != rules source.
which shield are you having trouble with?  

I just checked like 7 different shields (light and heavy), and the CB equips magic shields to the offhand slot and handles the AC & REF bonus just fine

do you maybe have another shield bonus from another item, or are you trying to use a shield you aren't proficient with?

INSIDE SCOOP, GAMERS: In the new version of D&D, it will no longer be "Edition Wars." It will be "Edition Lair Assault." - dungeonbastard

I had a similar problem with the character builder - which i solved by;  equiping a non magical shield - which added correct AC, in shield position, then equiping magical shield - which went to the arms slot (which may be why its doesnt correctly add to AC), and appropriate properties etc which empowered.
I had a similar problem with the character builder - which i solved by;  equiping a non magical shield - which added correct AC, in shield position, then equiping magical shield - which went to the arms slot (which may be why its doesnt correctly add to AC), and appropriate properties etc which empowered.

This is the correct way to do it because magic shields are Arms slot items (and not just in the CB - that's according to 4e rules), even though they are held in your off-hand.  So adding a mundane shield to your off-hand will give you the AC and REF bonus as normal, and then you need to find the magic shield Arms slot item you need (which is just a placeholder item that weighs nothing) and add that to your Arms slot.  This gives you the correct bonus to AC and REF, gives you the properties of the magic shield (such as a power or other property) and occupies the Arms slot so that you can't, for example, also have bracers equipped at the same time.

I always advise folks not to use the Marketplace to get their magic shields for two reasons.  One is that a lot of items in the Marketplace are bugged and don't equip properly - I don't know why.  The other is that in the Marketplace, you will see many instances of "Shield of Whatever - Large Shield."  Don't use these "combined" items because sometimes they don't equip or work properly and they were only left in there after the Find Equipment tab was created for backwards compatibility with older characters files.  Other times these "combined" items will work fine, but you never quite know ...

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Thanks everyone.
You know I've overlooked that Marketplace button all this time. I've only ever used the find equipment tab before.
I found the Shield of Deflection (light shield) in the Marketplace and it equipped to the Off-hand fine, but does not show up in the Arm slot (as mentioned by RedSiegfried).
Prior to this thread I had equipped the Shield of Deflection (via the find equipment tab) to the arm slot and added a [mundane] light shield to the Off-hand.
This fixed the AC problem and had the Arm slot used correctly. I just didn't know if this was the correct / normal thing to do for CB.

Besides magic shields, are there other combined items and does the Marketplace work properly for these other (non-shield) items?
As far as I know, magic shields are the only "combined" items.  Having the mundane shield in your off-hand and the magic shield object in the Arms slot kind of threw me at first, but it makes sense when you think about it - as much sense as magic shields being Arms slot items is going to make, I guess.    I never quite agreed with that rule, but I think I understand why they have it in there for game balance, and that's the way it is.

I never use the Marketplace to add or buy items anymore because it caused me too many buggy problems in the past, but your mileage may vary.  I still use it to browse items, though.

OD&D, 1E and 2E challenged the player. 3E challenged the character, not the player. Now 4E takes it a step further by challenging a GROUP OF PLAYERS to work together as a TEAM. That's why I love 4E.

"Your ability to summon a horde of celestial superbeings at will is making my ... BMX skills look a bit redundant."

"People treat their lack of imagination as if it's the measure of what's silly. Which is silly." - Noon

"Challenge" is overrated.  "Immersion" is usually just a more pretentious way of saying "having fun playing D&D."

"Falling down is how you grow.  Staying down is how you die.  It's not what happens to you, it's what you do after it happens.”

Sign In to post comments