A HairlessThoctar contest: Alara, pt. 2: Crucius the Mad

52 posts / 0 new
Last post
Howdy all!

Last week, I introduced the first part in what will be a series of contests I plan to host based on excerpts from the Planeswalker's Guide to Alara that never made it onto cards in the actual card game.

I reason that for some sense of order, that I do the contests in shard order Bant, Esper, Grixis, Jund, Naya, back the the beginning. At least until I run out of steam, some of these shards have more written about them than the others.

Last week was Lisha of the Azure, a princess turned pirate from Bant, this week we're going to Esper.

Our subject; Crucius the Mad.

Crucius the Mad is easily the most important figure in Esper's history as he was the sphinx that first created Etherium that defined the Plane.

Here's his blurb:

"The sphinx Crucius was a seminal but controversial figure in Esper history. Esperites now revile the genius who brought etherium to the plane, thinking him to have disappeared or died long ago. But evidence suggests that he may have been a Planeswalker, and furthermore may have attempted to correct-Esper's plight.
Decades ago, Crucius devised the magical alloy etherium and began a grand project to infuse living things on Esper with it, which he called the Noble Work. Records show that he proposed the Noble Work as a means to overcome the frailties and limitations of the mortal flesh, but Crucius may have in fact perceived Esper's disconnection with two crucial elements, red and green mana. Indeed, the aether inside etherium, once spread across enough of the plane, may have been intended to enable a spell that would reunify Esper with the other shards of Alara.
Reconvergence plan or no, the Noble Work became a kind of dogma, and spun out of Crucius' control. Despite the sphinx's attempts to warn them, Esperites began to replace more and more of their flesh with etherium, eventually leading to the creation of undead abominations called aether-liches. Crucius, as the source of etherium, was blamed for the creatures, earning him the moniker Crucius the Mad.
Ostrasized and despondent, Crucius disappeared soon after. Sharuu, Esper's sphinx hegemon, is the only one who may know the truth of his true nature, his intentions, and his whereabouts."

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen.

Here's some design specifications.
1. I will allow entries to be either a "Legendary Creature-Sphinx" (artifact or otherwise) or "Planeswalker-Crucius".
2. He must be blue. He is Esper incarnate after all. He may be white and or black in addition to blue.
3. He was born on Esper after the split and before the Conflux, any red or green entries will be disqualified.
Other than that, do your best to design a card that you feel best captures the essence of the godfather of Esper.

Rules for the contest.
1. You have two days (48 HOURS)
2. You may submit one entry.
2b. You may change your entry as much as you would like to within that two day period.

After that we'll begin voting.

Good luck to everyone, and please have fun!

My own entry

Crucius the Mad

Planeswalker-Crucius
Mythic Rare
+2: Target non-artifact permanent becomes an artifact in addition to their other types. Untap that permanent.
-1: Gain control of target artifact.
-12: Destroy all non-artifact permanents.
[6]

Above all else, I felt it should be important that Crucius could Liquimetal Coating things. He is the creator of etherium after all.
Beyond that, I wanted abilities that would synergize with that, and it was also important to me that all of them be distinct from both Tezzeret's abilities.
I'm going to go ahead and say mine is monstruously powerful, but I'm gonna go ahead and post it anyways... I'll tweak it later (maybe).

Crucius, Lord of Etherium --
Legendary Artifact Creature - Sphinx (MR)

Artifacts you control are indestructible.
, :T:: Target nonenchantment permanent you control becomes an artifact.
Whenever you control 8 or more artifacts, put X loyalty counters on Crucius, Lord of Etherium and transform it. X is the number of cards in your hand.

===xxx===xxx===

Crucius, the Mad --
[]Planeswalker - Crucius (MR)

[+1]: Sacrifice an artifact. If you do, proliferate.
[-4]: You gain an emblem with "Whenever an artifact creature you control is dealt damage, put a +1/+1 counter on it."
[-12]: For each player, choose one nonartifact permanent they control. Exile all other nonartifact permanents.

{X}

Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
Crucius, Father of Etherium |
Planeswalker - Crucius {MR}
[+1]: Target creature gains +1/+1 and becomes an artifact in addition to it's other types.
[-4]: 2 target creatures become white and blue artifacts, they lose all abilities.
[+2]: Sacrifice 3 artifacts, transform ~.
{3}

~~~~~~~~~

Crucius the Mad
Planeswalker - Crucius {MR, }
Cards are artifacts in addition to there other types.
[+1]: ~ becomes a 1/1 blue and black Artifact Creature with all abilities of artifacts you control until the end of the turn.
[-12]: Gain control of all artifacts.

WHAT YOU SAY BOY?!?
My Philosophies
1: Magic is awesome. 2: Haters gunna hate. And when they do, use your shotgun. 3: One Direction is quite possibly the most amazing thing ever. 4: I like boys. Got a problem? Then you're an idiot. 5: I'm better than you. 6: I am a vampire. 7: PONIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! [i](No, I'm not a brony. I like Actual ponies. The ones that are young horses?
First thing you should know, I'm a permanent newb. Jace has amazing hair! I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
My People Tallies
MagicPablo666: 1 ChaosLight: 1
Crucius the Forlorn 
Legendary Artifact Creature - Sphinx
Flying
6/6
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”
― William Shakespeare, Macbeth
ALTIMIS IS A COPY CAT!
My Philosophies
1: Magic is awesome. 2: Haters gunna hate. And when they do, use your shotgun. 3: One Direction is quite possibly the most amazing thing ever. 4: I like boys. Got a problem? Then you're an idiot. 5: I'm better than you. 6: I am a vampire. 7: PONIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES! [i](No, I'm not a brony. I like Actual ponies. The ones that are young horses?
First thing you should know, I'm a permanent newb. Jace has amazing hair! I am Black/Green
I am Black/Green
My People Tallies
So it has to be an actual representation of the sphinx?
I made this a long time ago, before reading that style guide blurb. Interesting where it matches up and where it doesn't.

Crucius the Mad
Legendary Artifact CReature - Sphinx
Flying
At the beginning of your end step, each player reveals a card at random from his or her hand. Return to their owner’s hands all other nonland permanents that share a converted mana cost with a card revealed this way. Then return to the battlefield all nonland permanent cards in graveyards that share a converted mana cost with a card revealed this way.
5/5
Hmm, I hardly make planeswalkers anyway, so

Crucius the Mad -
Planeswalker - Crucius
[+3]: Target creature becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. If that creature is an artifact, put a +1/+1 counter on it instead.
[-4]: Gain control of target artifact.
[-10]: You gain an emblem with "Artifacts you control are indestructible." 
[5] 

The first ability could be seperated into two abilities but I like it this way.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
Crucius the Forlorn 
Flying
6/6
“Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.”
― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Crucius the Prophet

Legendary Creature – Sphinx
4/4

At the beginning of your upkeep, put a perfection counter on each creature you control. Those creatures become artifacts in addition to their other types. Then for each perfection counter on each creature you control, choose one – that creature gets +1/+0 until end of turn; or that creature gets +0/+1 until end of turn. (For example, you could choose to make a 2/2 with two perfection counters on it a 4/2, a 3/3, or a 2/4.)

Non-artifact-ness is intentional.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

Crucius the Architect
Legendary Artifact Creature - Sphinx
Permanents you control are Artifacts in addition to their other types.
Artifact Creatures get +2/+2.
Flying
1/1

Mafia Game Slots:

1. Open

2. Hundred Acres (Dead Town)

3. Open

4. Open

5. Open

6. Open

Crucius the Mad  
Flying
All non-land permanents are blue, white, and black artifacts in addition to their other colors and types. 
5/5
As I see it, Crucius has never been an artifact.

Crucius the Mad 
Legendary Creature - Sphinx
Flying
Each other creatures you control are artifacts in addition to their other types.
When you control four or more artifacts, exile Crucius the Mad.
"Reconvergence plan or no, the Noble Work became a kind of dogma, and spun out of Crucius' control."
5/5
worship the horn
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28209491/Conch_Horn
That is nice, Knifethrower.

Crucius the Mad
Each player skips his or her draw step.
: Reveal the top card of target library, each player may bid life to play the card without paying its converted mana cost. You start the bidding with a bid of 0. In turn order, each player may top the high bid. The bidding ends if the high bid stands. The high bidder loses life equal to the high bid and may play the card without paying its converted mana cost.

6/6

Yeah. I'm aware of the pie twist and I just don't care.

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.

Yes please.

What else did you have in mind?

Yes please.

What else did you have in mind?

It felt appropriate to make a card representing his presence or legacy (a card called The Noble Work?) since he's missing and it's a mystery.
Crucius the Mad

Flying
At the beginning of your upkeep, exile a creature other than ~. If you do, put a copy of it onto the battlefield except it's an 'Artifact creature - Horror' in addition to it's other types and is indestructible.

Mad? or just misunderstood?

5/5

It felt appropriate to make a card representing his presence or legacy (a card called The Noble Work?) since he's missing and it's a mystery.

I want an actual Crucius card for this contest, but you have most definitely given me an idea for a future contest. ;D
Crucius the Mad
Legendary Creature — Sphinx 
You may cast artifact cards from your graveyard by paying 5 life as an additional cost to cast it.
A gift cannot be taken back.
5/5

OR

Crucius the Mad
Legendary Creature — Sphinx
Whenever an artifact is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, return it to the battlefield and you lose 3 life.
A gift cannot be taken back.
6/6

I'll pick one of these at some point. 
crucius of the noble work
planeswalker - crucius
+1: target permanent becomes an artifact in addition to its other types. you may tap or untap that permanent.
-3: draw a card for each artifact you control.
-7: for each artifact you control, put a token onto the battlefield that's a copy of that artifact.
{4} 
Crucius Giltwing |
Planeswalker - Crucius {M}
Non-land permanents become artifacts in addition to their other types as they enter the battlefield.
[+1]: Exile target permanent. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
[-2]: Exile target artifact.
{4}

I went back and forth on this about whether I wanted an ultimate, and went with no because of the powerful synergy between the abilities, especially the first and the last.

Edit: Oh hey I missed the subtype.
Crucius Giltwing |
Planeswalker {M}
Non-land permanents become artifacts in addition to their other types as they enter the battlefield.
[+1]: Exile target permanent. Return it to the battlefield at the beginning of the next end step.
[-2]: Exile target artifact.
{4}

melvin candy nomnom
Crucius the Mad
Legendary Artifact Land
When Crucius the Mad enters the battlefield, exile all other artifacts you control, from your hand, library & graveyard. Shuffle your library afterwards.
: Put a Colorless artifact token onto the battlefield.
Bolas shook his head, and some fist in his chest, so and tight and layered with scars that he had forgotten it had ever been there, now loosed and let him laugh outright.
"Please then, tell me of finding Crucius"
Tezzeret replied "You're standing on him, more or less."
"Really? This isn't another joke?"
"It's not a joke, but it's not really him, either. It used to be him, and if the Multiverse is lucky, it might be him again." 

To get to Crucius, one needs to shed all etherium with him or her, including dreams and thoughts relating to etherium. Only then one can become the carmot, the dragon sangrite needed to create endless etherium.
Crucius the Mad

Flying
Artifacts you control have Hexproof.
At the beginning of your upkeep, choose a non-artifact permanent you control for each artifact you control and put an etherium counter on each of those non-artifact permanents.  They're artifacts in addition to their other types as long as they have any etherium counters on them.  If you can't, exile Crucius the Mad.
6/8

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Godfather of Etherium

Legendary creature - Sphinx
Flying
Whenever an artifact is put into your graveyard from the battlefield, you may exile it. if you do, put a number of +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters on target creature equal to the converted mana cost of that artifact. 
, sacrifice an artifact: Put target artifact from your graveyard into the battlefield.
Noble ones will find it a gift, the wicked and greedy, their demise.
3/8
TIME IS UP.

VOTING BEGINS.

You have two days.
You may cast one vote.
You may not vote for yourself.
You don't have to have entered the contest to vote.

If at all possible, elaborate why you're voting the way you are, give constructive criticsm to the participants; they want it!

Good luck to everyone!
Vlordian!
My Philosophies
I am Black/Green
My People Tallies
Knifethrower

139359831 wrote:
That is a lovely painting of Richard Garfield. It really brings out his feminine side.
Crucius the Mad  
Flying
All non-land permanents are blue, white, and black artifacts in addition to their other colors and types. 
5/5

My vote has been cast
I vote for Crucius the Mad, by Tevish_Szat.
Official archnemesis of magicpablo666 Host of Reactionary Proud owner of "The Terrible Cube" The altimis Archive I'm baking lands!!! Beginner of GROMA
Notable Quotables:
58060728 wrote:
I carefully examine the walls of the room in a determined effort to not follow the GMs plot.
imidazoline

I thought the last time you used voting to pick the winner you considered it a failure? 
Stuff I liked (And the problems thereof)
Altamis: I love the idea of showing an ascension with Transform and think this was a missed opportunity in Innistrad, but... the mechanic for transforming him (Specifically setting starting loyalty) is clunky, and if Crucius was a PW, he was one "from the start"

Confused: Needs Indefinite duration reminder text on ability one.  Other than that, solid if not really jawdropping.

Sebanovich: I was sort of going for a similar flavor, the build and then the exile, so it stands to reason I should enjoy this... but he self-removes WAY too easily.

Pablo: Weird as all get out, but hey, Psychic Battle.  My problem is that this doesn't really feel Crucius-like at all: otherwise, it's probably my favorite overall

Tea Demon: Needs reminder text on ability 1.  Beyond broken in half under affinity-like conditions.  It's the second ability that does it, really: the first one is tame to weak and the ultimate is epic but also a PW ultimate (most of them say "I win").  The second is jsut disgusting CA with the easy option for renewal unless interfeered with

VOTE: ConfusedAsUsual  A lot of designs were more epic, but I felt they tended to have fatal flaws.

"Enjoy your screams, Sarpadia - they will soon be muffled beneath snow and ice."

Follow me to No Goblins Allowed

A M:tG/D&D message board with a good community and usable software

THE COALITION WAR GAME -Phyrexian Chief Praetor
Round 1: (4-1-2, 1 kill)
Round 2: (16-8-2, 4 kills)
Round 3: (18-9-2, 1 kill)
Round 4: (22-10-0, 2 kills)
Round 5: (56-16-3, 9 kills)
Round 6: (8-7-1)

Last Edited by Ralph on blank, 1920

Pablo: Weird as all get out, but hey, Psychic Battle.  My problem is that this doesn't really feel Crucius-like at all: otherwise, it's probably my favorite overall

I felt exactly the same way about this one
Aw, you guys are too sweet. Even though neither of you voted for it. Ha ha.

139359831 wrote:

I really struggled with settling my votes for this one, probably because they're all so similar. Rough breakdown of my thoughts:

Thoctar: Cool. Makes artifacts. Steals artifacts. Kills non-artifacts.

altimis: Using both seems pretty janky. No P/T on creature side. Seems overly complex.

Aviv: Abilities just seem kind of random, including transform. Real criticism to learn from: ALL walkers have a non-specific +1, one they can use regardless of board state. Yours does not.

Knifethrower: Sweet flavour bro, but it's the most boringest Sphinx ever (yes, even this one). Seems like it would slot straight into Legends with no problems (not so much a good thing)

metal: Seems weird, but no criteria fit for you.

CoA: Makes artifacts, steals artifacts, protects artifacts. Needs a target for +3 (sad face). +3 also make no sense to me. As it's worded, it always makes an artifact dude and gives it a +1/+1 counter.

CKY: That's pretty cool. I like the angle. Maybe a slight wording hitch, but seems pretty sweet.

Zokorad: Tempered Steel on crack, with inbuilt ignore restrictions. I'd prefer a 3/3 with 'other' as well to avoid confusion. But that's just me. W/E, this is nuts.

Cold: Seems alright. A bit understated for this contest which is nice. Me wants more flavour.

Seb: This hits the criteria hard which is nice. Tension is interesting, which I like to see as well.

pablo: I do. Also, as only you can activate this ability, this locks out all cards for your opponents ever. If they're behind, that's game.

vlord: I really like this except for the fact it's a friggin' machine gun Doom Blade/Mind Control hybrid. For free. That makes indestructible guys. So I still like it, but can't in good conscience vote for it.

DS: Both your cards are nice. I feel some others fit the criteria a bit snugger. I wanted to see your alternate though.

Tea: Makes artifacts, draws from artifacts, copies all artifacts. Of the planeswalkers, I like this one the most so far. I think there's more synergy, and it's pretty cool. Your +1 is pretty similar to Thoctar's, but I'm sure he'll forgive you.

Imi: I AM GREAT AND EVEN GAVE HIM A PRETTY LAST NAME.

Blitz: This doesn't meet criteria I'm afraid. Flavour text is HELLA LONG.

Tevish: This is interesting, and made me think for a bit, but the ending effect just seems to be a bit haphazard, and because this scales exponentially you don't get long with your 6 mana three colour fatty.

Tinker: +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters makes me a sad. Also, because the exile is a 'may' ability, you can just cycle guys for free cards and lands forever, or just mill into an artifact fatty and drop it.

CKY gets my vote, followed reasonably closely by Seb and Tea Demon.

Got a couple I want to vote for, like Imi, Tevish, CKY. I like Altimis's idea of ascension but the card itself has problems (No p/t?) so I can't vote for him.

Sebanovich gets my vote since I think his card fits Circius's background quite well.
Show
I am Red/White
I am Red/White
I'm both chaotic and orderly. I value my own principles, and am willing to go to extreme lengths to enforce them, often trampling on the very same principles in the process. At best, I'm heroic and principled; at worst, I'm hypocritical and disorderly.
In retrospect, my Crucius should have said "...until the beginning of your next upkeep." Oh well, it's too late now.

Vote for Imi.

EDIT: Because his card is elegant, mechanically versatile and creates all kind of interesting gameplay situations with just a few abilities. It fits its colors as well as the character. Also, 'Crucius Giltwing' is an awesome name.

Embrace imagination.

Lord of YMtC | Ten Rounds Contest Winner

Solphos – A fan set with a 'combo matters' theme

Fool's Gold – The second set of the Solphos block

imidazoline

I thought the last time you used voting to pick the winner you considered it a failure? 

Do what now?

I've retired (for now at least) letting people vote for themselves because in my "black miracle" contest, half the people voted for themselves which made coutning the votes horribly boring.

Plus no one was giving out criticism that way, which made it even more boring.

And not enough of you are saying why you're voting the way you are! Shame on the lot of you, how are people supposed to know what they're doing wrong or right if you don't voice your opinions!
pablo: I do. Also, as only you can activate this ability, this locks out all cards for your opponents ever. If they're behind, that's game.

Oh, craps. Thanks. I intended it to be usable my all players. "This ability can be activated. . ." etc.

139359831 wrote:
Imi - nice synergy between abilities while each is still useful on its own.
There were about seven cards I would have voted as a tie.  I had to get real nitpicky to find reasons to weed some out.

Several people made sphinx that communicated Crucius' "madness", but from the blurb it didn't seem he was ever "mad", this is a false characteristic promulgated by the commoners.

Two people made planeswalkers I liked flavorfully, but they both let you steal a creature every other turn, which i think is a bit much for a five mana permanent.

Imi already pointed out that a few good designs had unfortunate fatal flaws,

Ulitimately I vote for ****eeyong.

I would like to see every participant at some point do a card-by-card evaluation like imi did..  Perhaps if every contest one person was asked to volunteer, or a person assigned to do one? I hate to make anyone do something they don't want to do, but I would like to eventually hear everyone's opinion on card designs.

Sign In to post comments