081312_Equipment.pdf Feedback

As I finished to read the second group of D&D Next playtest files, I was intrigued by the rule on Medium Armor.

It puts a cap on how much Dexterity you can add to your base armor value to calculate your AC.

That means that creatures with relatively low Dex (0-2) won't be penalyzed at all.

Is that right? Or am I missing something? It only affects people with high Dex, which I think it's a serious mistake.

Maybe you should make it divide by half, rounded down, instead of a fixed 2 Dex cap. This way, by halving the Dex added, everyone will be penalyzed accordingly. However, it might make it hard to calculate if you have a negative Dex modifier and decide to use a Medium Armor.

Thanks for your time, and I'm sorry again if I misunderstood any rules. 

It doesn't reduce negative modifiers, as in math -3 < +2 is true. 

If your movement cordination is an issue, fighting to keep standing in that armor, it would be much harder to move out of the harms way. So full penalties apply. It was the case before as well.

Maybe you should make it divide by half, rounded down, instead of a fixed 2 Dex cap. This way, by halving the Dex added, everyone will be penalyzed accordingly. However, it might make it hard to calculate if you have a negative Dex modifier and decide to use a Medium Armor.

Even then, characters with +0 DEX wouldn't be penalized at all. The only way to penalize every character equally it to make it a true -X penalty to the DEX bonus for purposes of AC.

Standard Answer to all 5E rules questions: "Ask your DM."