Hi. I'm new to D and D 4E and am having a difficult time figuring out how you calculate what your passive perception and passive insight are. Can anyone give me some advice or information that would point me in the right direction.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi. I'm new to D and D 4E and am having a difficult time figuring out how you calculate what your passive perception and passive insight are.

Can anyone give me some advice or information that would point me in the right direction.   
Hi. I'm new to D and D 4E and am having a difficult time figuring out how you calculate what your passive perception and passive insight are.

Can anyone give me some advice or information that would point me in the right direction.   

It's your perception and insight +10 for your passive perception and passive insight respectively, and also, *I think you're in the wrong forum* Laughing
ok thanks. which would be the best forum to post questions like this regarding character creation/development?

ok thanks. which would be the best forum to post questions like this regarding character creation/development?

Not this one, this one is for backstories and stuff like that, fluff.
If in doubt always go to the rules forum, or the general forum, as you'll always get a definite answer there! If you have anymore questions then feel free to ask away though, but remember next time (it's just that SOME people on here can be very nitpicky about where stuff is posted Smile)

The General Forum is for questions that don't fit in another forum.

Rules questions like this go in the Rules Q&A forum - they deal with mechanics and interpreting the Rules As Written.
Optimization questions go in Char Op - they deal with using those mechanics to your best advantage.
Backstory or roleplaying posts go here in Char Dev - we deal with fluff and to a lesser extent how to get the mechanics of the game to reflect the fluff in a fashion appropriate to the character.

The purpose of posting your question in the appropriate forum is that the regular posters in that forum are much more likely to be able to give you a good  or correct answer - if you ask me what sort of gear and feats you need to be a highly effective charger, my answer will be to refer you to the Character Optimization forum where they can recite that stuff from memory, Char Op will refer you to this forum if you ask them a fluff roleplaying question about why your character worships the Raven Queen rather than needing it as a prerequisite for a feat, and Rules Q&A will refer you to one of the other two if your question isn't really a rules issue.
I can give you answers to a rules question, or give you advice on how to use the mechanics of the game to be more effective, but chances are I know the answer because I read it on one of those other forums.
 (Also, off-topic threads in a forum tend to push legitimate threads off the front page of the forum sooner than it would normally end up on a previous page, which may prevent someone responding to it who otherwise would have because they just didn't see it while it was at the top of the forum.)

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

Passive perception: 10+Wisdom Modifier+any racial or class bonuses to Perception skill
Passive insight: 10+Wisdom Modifier+any racial or class bonuses to Insight skill 

basically you take your skill modifier for the related skill and assume you rolled a 10 on the skill check, like sucidebunny said.

edit: Welcome to DnD! i hope you have a blast Laughing