Ancient Grudge x3

Enchantment: 3

Ground Seal x3

Creatures: 6

Angel of Glory's Rise x1
Zealous Conscripts x1
Borderland Ranger x 3
Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite x1

The deck does well agains most decks I've come across except delver b/w control decks.  Against those it's very hit or miss sometimes its very close and other times they blow me out of the water.  But that's not why I'm here, my main concern I'm having with this FNM deck is Huntmaster of the Fells, it just seems I don't get very much bang for my buck.

I have two philosophies for this deck, the first is obvious: Pod the second is I want the deck to funtion well without pod, and it does so, but I hate werewolves but I can't think of another 4 drop that I could put in his stead outside of maybe Hound of Griselbrand.   But before I went and dumped the money into some hounds I wanted some outside opinions.

Any 4 drop suggestions that you think might work better?

Thankies!

-NW
-NW "Behold blessed perfection!" --Sheoldred, Whispering One
Solemn Simulacrum you should keep huntsman of the fells hes one of those creatures that needs to be responded to, hes insanely good; on another subject, why do you have 3 memoricides on your main board? I like memoricide, but you never mainboard them because you don't know whats in your enemies deck on the first match, it is just a wasted card up until the 2nd match, not to mention you only have 2 black mana sources at your disposal, if you got on of the memoricides chances are you wouldn't be able to use them because you can't find a swamp; it would be best if you just changed it to WGR deck in my opinion your mana doesn't have as many problems.

if your hellbent on keeping me black in your mana pool then I would suggest Solemn Simulacrum he can look for that swamp when he enters the battlefield and he draws you a card when you sac him, theres also pierce strider, I would only suggest him because of the damage he does when he enters the battlefield other than that hes not really worth it. If you want a fattie for your 4 slot perhaps you would like Galvanic Juggernaut again not the best option but he is pretty strong and by the time he has attacked you can just sacrofice him to bring in a new guy, although if i had to choose between the juggernaut and hound of griselbrand the choice would easily be griselbrand. just some ideas
Solemn Simulacrum you should keep huntsman of the fells hes one of those creatures that needs to be responded to, hes insanely good; on another subject, why do you have 3 memoricides on your main board? I like memoricide, but you never mainboard them because you don't know whats in your enemies deck on the first match, it is just a wasted card up until the 2nd match, not to mention you only have 2 black mana sources at your disposal, if you got on of the memoricides chances are you wouldn't be able to use them because you can't find a swamp; it would be best if you just changed it to WGR deck in my opinion your mana doesn't have as many problems.

if your hellbent on keeping me black in your mana pool then I would suggest Solemn Simulacrum he can look for that swamp when he enters the battlefield and he draws you a card when you sac him, theres also pierce strider, I would only suggest him because of the damage he does when he enters the battlefield other than that hes not really worth it. If you want a fattie for your 4 slot perhaps you would like Galvanic Juggernaut again not the best option but he is pretty strong and by the time he has attacked you can just sacrofice him to bring in a new guy, although if i had to choose between the juggernaut and hound of griselbrand the choice would easily be griselbrand. just some ideas

Generally speaking the Memoricide are paid for via Birds of Paradise and the three are mainboarded because of two reasons: I play out of a small shop so I know the metagame there and the second one is you can generally guess whats going to be in a deck after a few turns.  Example: turn 1 guy plays Delver of Secrets, the odds are VERY GOOD he has Vapor Snag in there. Or, you can just see what he plays in response to what your doing e.g. I'm going to play Card X, opponent Oblivion Ring it, well I know he's got more o-rings in there so just take 'em out.  I'm sorry, there's just a lot of decks that are very predictable in their builds.

My beef with Huntmaster of the Fells is simple: it's impossible to keep him flipped, which is why I want to replace him.  I like Hound of Griselbrand better because he's undying so if I pod him I have an even larger doublestriker. Though I do like your Solemn Simulacrum idea, that does sound like a winning idea too.

-NW

Alright took Acidic Slime out of mainboard to side board, put in Zealous Conscripts x2 to mainboard (total of two).  Took out Odric, Master Tactician and added Primeval Titan.  Removed one Gavony Township added Kessig Wolf Run.

Played a game against Blue/Black Zombie Kamikaze:

Turn 2 Birthing Pod
Turn 3 Memoricide Blood Artist.
Turn 4 Strangleroot Geist, swing for 2, Pod> Fiend Hunter exiled Gravecrawler.  18/18
Turn 5 Nevermore: Killing Wave, Strangleroot Geist, swing for 5, Pod> Blade Splicer. 18/16 (Used another Gravecrawler to block the bigger Strangleroot Geist)
Turn 6 Zealous Conscripts steal Evil Twin (copy of Blade Splicer), Swing for  9, Pod > Copy of Blade Splicer(Evil Twin) > Restoration Angel flicker Blade Splicer. 18/10 (Used golem to block golem, Fiend Hunter, Evil Twin, and Blade Splicer did not attack).
Turn 7 Swing for 14 game. 18/.

Still had little to no use for Huntmaster of the Fells, I really think I'd get more use out of Hound of Griselbrand due to the Undying mechanic.

Thoughts?

-NW

Hrmm I don't really like the inclusion of Nevermore in the MD... then again you said you metagame is pretty consistent and you know what people are running very quickly... still don't like it though. I also don't like the use of Memorcide without any swamps in the deck. I second the use of Solemn, Viridian Emissary or even Borderland Ranger to be in the MD to help with mana fixings/excel and ensure a swamp makes it to the field for the Memo. What if they get smart about it and keep killing off your birds? Then you're out ways to cast your 'deck wrecking card'. I personally don't like Attended Knight here. The slot could be better suited for another Splicer or the aggressive Pyreheart Wolf. The wolf is awesome in Naya Pod builds and could do well here. 2 Geist-Honored Monk is a little much for me. I'd remove 1 for an Archon of Justice. It can easily get rid of any threat you might face and it's a 4/4 flyer, what's not to love?

You mention that you have problems against control decks, yet you're lacking a good anti-control card that fit in every pod SB. Grand Abolisher and Thrun, the Last Troll are two major additions that I can think of that will definitely improve that match up. I'd also recommend Daybreak Ranger to combat delver and pesky spirits. As well as Sylvok Replica to stop Torpor Orb, yes it's a real threat to pod decks and it can shut them down very easily.

I don't understand why Borderland Ranger is in your SB. Usually when constructing a SB you have to ask yourself 3 questions. In what situation would I side for this? What would I take out if I sided for it? and Is it really better than the cards I'm taking out? In Borderland's case I'd consider the answers to these questions, hardly ever, nothing and no... just no.

How to autocard:

Show
[c]Blaze[/c] = Blaze

you can also...

[deck]

38 Relentless Rats

22 Swamp

[/deck]

=

Sign In to post comments