Best box to buy?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm not really privvy to the rotation but I'm curious as to what everyone thinks would be the most profitable box to buy.

Since the Scars block will be rotating out very soon I'd guess that a box from the innistrad block or the core set would be the best route and I may even have better luck if I wait until the next set rolls out.

Just for the sake of comparison lets assume all boxes run the same price (about $99). 

I've found what a complete set of each costs but I was hoping for a more complex answer based on number of cards in each series, and a cost ratio factoring in rarity (i.e. availabilty) and average cost of said rarity.
boxes are a waste of money if you just want cards, it is never profitable to open them for cards

if you want to play limited/draft with them go for whichever set you like best
proud member of the 2011 community team
boxes are a waste of money if you just want cards, it is never profitable to open them for cards

if you want to play limited/draft with them go for whichever set you like best

I'm glad you have this in your clip board so you can dump it. 
just warning people not to waste money

Magic is expensive enough as it is

It matters what you consider a waste. For some people there is excitment and enjoyment that is attached with opening up product. Simply buying singles does not match the feeling of opening a chase rare in a pack. Also, not everybody enjoys limited or cares about it. 

It matters what you consider a waste. For some people there is excitment and enjoyment that is attached with opening up product. Simply buying singles does not match the feeling of opening a chase rare in a pack. Also, not everybody enjoys limited or cares about it. 

To be fair, I agree, I value cards I pulled way more than ones I did not, there's just a sense of... pride in pulling your favorite cards. I know for a fact that I'm buying a Box of RTR. I have to pull my own Rakdos.
I've never bought a box before and I've always wanted to. Considering that I went on vacation and somehow bought 10 boosters over the course of a week I figured it would be more economical to buy 36 boosters for $90.

It seems fun and I figured that I would at least trade some of the rares that I wasn't going to use for singles at my local card shop.

Plus my wife (who constantly calls me a nerd) loves opening the packs to see if she "got me a red one" (mythic rare) so I figured that would be fun.
I'd personally go for AVR, because I love the blink mechanic and Angels and Demons

since it is an economic loss in any case, go for the set where you like the theme the most, preferably a theme not just found in Mythic Rares ;)

FWIW, I am completely addicted to the Skinner's box feeling.

RTR is going to have huge value coming up, if dual lands are returning as assumed.  Should they return, you'll probably get your money's worth if you get a couple dual lands in a box.
Haha I was talking about it and my wife bought a box of M13 while I was inquiring, I hope it's at least semi worth-it (guess I'll cross my fingers for a Sublime Archangel)
I would personally hold on to your money for 6-8 weeks, and wait for Return to Ravnica.
There is speculation that the shocklands are going to be reprinted in the next block. If they are, there are five guilds in RTR, meaning you've got at least five golden tickets in the set (I'd be guessing that they'd still be around the $20 mark each, even reprinted... just too much demand for them in Modern).
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
If you have to get a box Innistrad is probably the best investment. If you plan on playing at FNM and stuff pick a decent deck and use the $100 to buy the cards for it rather than spending $100 on a box and maybe getting 1/5 of the deck.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!