"Public Execution" Instant - Effect on non-target creatures

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi,

I had this scenario come up and was unsure how it plays out.

My opponent had two creatures on the battlefield untapped, Attended Knight (2/2) and Warclamp Mastiff (1/1). 

I played my instant, Public Execution, during my 1st Main Phase, targeting the Attended Knight.  This card destroyed the Knight, and delivers a -2/-0 to any other creatures that my opponent controls. 

My questions is, does the -2/-0 delivered by my instant kill the 1/1 Mastiff as well, or is it now basically a (-1/1) card that could still potentially block my eventual attacker while delivering zero damage?      

I hope that's clear.  I'm very very new so please ask for clarification if needed.  Thanks.
The warclamp mastiff lives and will be a -1/1 for the remainder of the turn.  It can block but would not do damage without boosting its power. 

attended knight
public execution 
Zero or less toughness kills a creature. Zero or less power is fine. there is even a printed card with -1 power Char-Rumbler.

The mastiff will still be around to block, it just won't do any damage.

Level 1 Judge

My questions is, does the -2/-0 delivered by my instant kill the 1/1 Mastiff as well, or is it now basically a (-1/1) card that could still potentially block my eventual attacker while delivering zero damage? 

the latter

note: a more optimal play would be to use it on your opponent's turn (it is an instant) after he attacked with both creatures

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

don't use links, use autocard
[c]warclamp mastiff[/c] => warclamp mastiff

the Mastiff lives happily as a -1/1, power can be negative without any consequence
proud member of the 2011 community team
Wow, thanks so much to you all for the quick replies.  This forum is such a lifesaver.  Sealed
Sign In to post comments