8/21/2012 RC: "It's Always Sunny in Modern"

13 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's ReConstructed, which goes live Tuesday morning on magicthegathering.com.
Surprised Edge of Autumn didn't get a shoutout, which was a pretty awesome part of the deck www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a..." title="www.wizards.com/Magic/Magazine/Article.a...">last time somebody on DailyMTG tackled it.
Shift+Enter = Line Break
Did you really miss the fact that Krark-Clan Ironworks gives you an easy way to sacrifice your two mana artifacts, as well as an easy way to cast them?  I'm pretty sure it's included as another way to sacrifice your Terrarions and Ichorwellsprings too.
Lotus Bloom is nice, but it can be removed and dealt with.  If you don't get at least two, the deck doesn't "go off".  The Ironworks fix both those problems fairly easily.
You should note that running KCI + Banefire GREATLY simplifies the actual kill while not taking a lot of slots, which is quite good. Sunrise is exceedingly difficult to play, to a degree it is an actual barrier to playing the deck, even if you're an accomplished combo player.
Did you really miss the fact that Krark-Clan Ironworks gives you an easy way to sacrifice your two mana artifacts, as well as an easy way to cast them?  I'm pretty sure it's included as another way to sacrifice your Terrarions and Ichorwellsprings too.

It may seem so at first sight, but this is a deck whose only mana issue is finding two lands, and not playing a land on the turn it goes off, unless it's a Ghost Quarter.

Lotus Bloom is nice, but it can be removed and dealt with.

If you suspect that your opponent has sideboarded artifact removal, you don't suspend your Lotus Blooms. You only Reshape stuff into them, so that artifact removal stays completely useless, since you can sacrifice anything at instant speed.
Show
Or even mana-ability-speed, in the case of cards like Chromatic Star and Chromatic Sphere.
Mana-ablity-speed win with Laboratory Maniac?
Mana-ablity-speed win with Laboratory Maniac.

If you don't get at least two, the deck doesn't "go off".

Krark-Clan Ironworks costs 4 mana. If there is any sort of issue with your opponents being able to shatter or Stone Rain your mana producers, you won't ever get the chance to cast the Ironworks. Moreover, having played with this deck quite a bit, it's relatively easy to combo with but one Lotus Bloom. Actually, playing with the version that had a playset of Edge of Autumns, I could keep landless hands and still combo on the fourth turn.

You should note that running KCI + Banefire GREATLY simplifies the actual kill while not taking a lot of slots, which is quite good.

Instead of them, try Laboratory Maniac and Pyrite Spellbomb. Two slots that are enough to guarantee that your win condition can't really be stopped. You can even sideboard Bitter Ordeal, just to see what they actually sideboarded, while winning off the most unexpected win condition.
The one Grapeshot should come in when you suspect they have a permanent answer for your Spellbombs—Extirpate, or similar—and you want to diversify your kill conditions.

Although if they have Extirpate I'd be more worried about them Extirpating Lotus Bloom, I think.

Dan Vogelsong's HaakonShrike deck looks really cool! However, i'm a bit confused by the inclusion of Gloom Surgeon - yes it's a spirit, and yes it's awkward for some decks to deal with. But exiling the top few cards of your library in a graveyard-based deck seems incredibly harsh. Can anyone help me understand this a bit better?

Also, after reading and closing the article, I decided to look at the decklists again. Imagine my horror when I was forced to continually scroll down and click multiple times just to see the decks again! I think I may have injured my middle finger with all start-stop scrolling, and am currently considering legal action. But if Mr. Verhey promises to not do that again, I may back down Wink
I don't see the point of 4 Darksteel Citadel. Is it to ensure that you always have something non-egg to sacrifice to Reshape? Couldn't the deck benefit from having a life-gain land (such as Cloudpost) instead of one of them?
Also, after reading and closing the article, I decided to look at the decklists again. Imagine my horror when I was forced to continually scroll down and click multiple times just to see the decks again! I think I may have injured my middle finger with all start-stop scrolling, and am currently considering legal action. But if Mr. Verhey promises to not do that again, I may back down

Welcome to casting Second Sunrise! The good news is that I won't be doing that again anytime soon. Probably.

I don't see the point of 4 Darksteel Citadel. Is it to ensure that you always have something non-egg to sacrifice to Reshape? Couldn't the deck benefit from having a life-gain land (such as Cloudpost) instead of one of them?

The one life gained off Cloudpost is not nearly as crucial as being to Reshape away a land. Being able to do that can be absolutely crucial in your combo.

The one Grapeshot should come in when you suspect they have a permanent answer for your Spellbombs—Extirpate, or similar—and you want to diversify your kill conditions.

Although if they have Extirpate I'd be more worried about them Extirpating Lotus Bloom, I think.

I would certainly imagine so! Extirpate was a bad example here.

You should note that running KCI + Banefire GREATLY simplifies the actual kill while not taking a lot of slots, which is quite good. Sunrise is exceedingly difficult to play, to a degree it is an actual barrier to playing the deck, even if you're an accomplished combo player.

I'm generally not interested in building a worse deck just so they're easier to play. If you want to play a combo deck well, you should commit to learning how to kill with it optimally. Yes, a big X spell makes it easier to kill with - but it's just training wheels. You don't need them to win, and they will often hinder you.

Lotus Bloom is nice, but it can be removed and dealt with.  If you don't get at least two, the deck doesn't "go off".  The Ironworks fix both those problems fairly easily.

You only need one Bloom early to go off. (And by the late game having two Blooms is trivial.) I didn't miss the interaction with Ironworks and Wellsprings, but I'd rather have cards which are consistantly good on their own then requiring this engine. I played a bunch of goldfish games with the original deck and every time I drew Ironworks it was horrifically bad - the four mana investment was not reasonable unless the game was long locked up, and I never needed it to win otherwise.
My goldfish game, the final turn, took 30 min .
Excellent article, really well summarised.

I playtested the original style of this deck back when the Odyssey eggs were still legal in Extended; it was hilariously fun in a strange way, but I never ended up playing it in a tournament just because it was so much of a headache under pressure.

I do strongly recommend people have a go with this deck - it's a remarkably unique way of playing Magic even among combo decks - but do make sure you play an awful lot of goldfish games before you inflict it on another player!
Rules Advisor. Used to play a lot of old Extended tournaments, now I just play prereleases and casual kitchen-table games with friends. My regular decks, many of which have been evolving for years: Contested Cliffs Beasts Coastal Piracy Hana Kami Spirit recycling Rout Multiplayer control Seizan, Perverter of Truth Commander
I think you need to fix your pool.  By that I mean your mana pool, you only have 7 islands and 1 plain, you need to run 4 islands and at least 1 of each of the other colors, as far as I can tell you can only grapeshot with your Kaleadstone.  The  Stars and such can only produce mana of your current pool that you have on the field, so if you don't have a mountain on the field your star can't produce a red mana.  You need some Wander's Twigs or Explorers Maps to help fix your mana issues.  That way you don't have to rely on your kaleadstone to cast half of your deck.
I think you need to fix your pool.  By that I mean your mana pool, you only have 7 islands and 1 plain, you need to run 4 islands and at least 1 of each of the other colors, as far as I can tell you can only grapeshot with your Kaleadstone.  The  Stars and such can only produce mana of your current pool that you have on the field, so if you don't have a mountain on the field your star can't produce a red mana.  You need some Wander's Twigs or Explorers Maps to help fix your mana issues.  That way you don't have to rely on your kaleadstone to cast half of your deck.

You seem to be confused...

Chromatic Star: "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

Chromatic Sphere: "Add one mana of any color to your mana pool."

How did you get the idea that you need to control a mountain in order to produce red mana with Chromatic Star or Chromatic Sphere??
Sign In to post comments