Passive Aggressive Against the CotSF?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm looking for a region that, while not hostile to the CotSF, would at least be sort of passive aggressive "we don't particularly like your kind here, but we'll put up with you as long as you don't cause us any trouble" towards them for a character background.

I mean, sure, I can pretty much hand wave any isolated small villiage as being this way, but I'd like to tie it in a bit more than that.

Other than Karnnath (which would be a bit more than just passive aggressive, I think), what nation/region within the 5 Nations would you think comes closest?
Other than Karnnath (which would be a bit more than just passive aggressive, I think), what nation/region within the 5 Nations would you think comes closest?

Across all of Khorvaire, or just the original Five Nations?

The only ones that come to mind are towards the fringes of Khorvaire, now outside of the Five Nations proper:
Some sections of the Eldeen Reaches could have been witnesses to excesses during the CotSF's lycanthrope crusade, and only begrudgingly accept help from the CotSF.
Droaam for obvious reasons – though they're not so much passive-aggressive as aggressive, moreso than Karrnath might be.
Perhaps regions of the Shadow Marches?
One of the Lhazaar Principalities could have its reasons for not wanting to deal with the CotSF.
I suppose some sections of Aundair could have mixed feelings from the Last War, equating Thrane and the CotSF. Particularly in territories that used to be part of Aundair and are now part of Thrane (around Thaliost).
“If the computer or the game designer is having more fun than the player, you have made a terrible mistake.” -Sid Meier
Some sections of the Eldeen Reaches could have been witnesses to excesses during the CotSF's lycanthrope crusade, and only begrudgingly accept help from the CotSF.... I suppose some sections of Aundair could have mixed feelings from the Last War, equating Thrane and the CotSF.

Of course, bear in mind that ever since the Purge, western Aundair has always been home to some of the most aggressively zealous followers of the Flame - born of families saved from lycanthropic terror by the templars, who see the Flame as a tool of salvation and vengeance.

In general, I think the Eldeen Reaches is where you see the widest variation of outlooks on the Flame. On the one end you have the shifter communities whose people were persecuted and tormented in the aftermath of the Purge, to whom the Church is a symbol of paranoia and oppression. On the other you have those who used to be Aundairians, who as noted see the faith as a source of salvation. But that leaves room for a lot of middle ground: the people who respect the sacrifices made by the Templars and their actions in defending the innocent, but have also seen the damage its zeal can cause. So while both extremes are there, I think it's a generally good place for a cautious attitude without open hostility (as compared to Droaam and Karrnath).

Another option would be the Lhazaar Principalities. While certain principalities may support the Church (Hello, Prince Lorrister), I think most see it as a force that seeks to impose order - where the Lhaazars take their freedom to do unto others as they see fit quite seriously. There's no reason for them to be HOSTILE - there's been no open conflict - but suspicious? Dubious? Passive aggressive? On consideration, I think the LP is a good way to go.

I was likewise thinking of the Eldeen, the Pricipalities and Karrnath.

My current, and all-time favorite, character just arrived in Graywall. He's a dragonmarked scion of Orien, but more relevantly here, an Avenger of the Silver Flame. We suspect that the snippet of the Prophecy concerning "the Tempest's Roar" (thanks Keith ) may reference a bound Overlord of the Age of Demons. We hope to find more answers in the library of Sora Teraza. I look forward to the challenges of working in a hostile land and bargaining with the legendary hag. Difficult choices lay ahead, no doubt.

[spoiler=Silver Flame musings ahead] I have always been drawn to the Silver Flame. It's the one pure force of good in the whole world of Eberron, in my opinion. The sacrifice and eternal vigil of the couatls is the single most compelling event (religiously speaking) in all of DnD, for that matter (again, IMO).

Their sacrifice has allowed every single civilization since the chance to exist, and their spiritual strength is all that prevents another Age of Demons. That's deep stuff. For me, the CotSF is just one small, if presently prominent, part of the great legacy of good of the couatls.

The Church itself, even with its well known missteps, is clearly the greatest force for good in all the world. There isn't another organization of its type in all of Eberron. There are a lot of Supernatural Forces of Evil at work, but only one group with the self-imposed mandate to stand against them all, with no agenda other than defending the world. Again, very compelling. The tarnished history of the Church, along with the metagame knowledge that Bel Shalor is awake and straining at its loose bonds, right in the literal heart of the Church, makes it all the more compelling an organization.

So ends your daily dose of Church propaganda, I guess. ;) I'll blame it on being drowsy and drugged. This is honestly more deserving of its own thread, than taking up sblocked real estate in yours, Edy. Maybe I'll start such a thread, tomorrow.  [/sblock]

What happened to my post count? It seems the more I post, the more it drops. Is that how it's supposed to work?

Reason I'm trying to dig up a good location is because I'm wanting to redo/expand an old character background into a short story.  Its my old WF paladin, Crucible.  Back in the day, I came across a lineart illustration of a necromancer girl in various stages of armor drawn by DMAC (Darren M. A. Calvert, he does freelance illustrations for Green Ronin these days) that I ended up coloring/modifying and making into Crucible's cohort.

Gwendolyn

Thing is, the damned story of how the two meet up won't stop running through my head, to the point I'm thinking I need to just sit down and write it all out just to vent it.  I'm even on a waiting list with DMAC to comission a matching WF paladin drawing for Crucible so I can composite them together for some cover art.

But, without boring anyone with details they probably don't care about, it involves Crucible being sent by the church to investigate a necromantic cult in a small villiage that isn't exactly fond of Flamers.  Doo-doo occurs, big shiny paladin with Turn Undead vs. waves of zombies, mysterious girl with the ability to channel the power of the light without the normal structured prayer/spells/etc, girl becomes orphaned by mini zombie apocalypse, ends up taking up with the Paladin as she has nowhere else to go.

Maybe once its done it'll stop running around inside my skull.  Just need a good place to set it.
Personally, I'd still go with the Lhazaar Principalities. The Blood of Vol has its roots there, but because of the nature of the Principalities you don't have a monolithic attitude towards anything, BoV or SF. The Bloodsails are expert necromancers; the Diresharks don't have anything to do with it and it it creeps them out. The Silver Flame is generally suspect, but in most places not met with open hostility; and it's an excellent place to find points of light that don't have a strong central authority to turn to.

So I'd just pick a Principality - or make one up that no one's heard of, one that was perhaps cursed by one of the Grim Lords of Farlnen after some feud.
Sign In to post comments