Possible Minotaur Warlord?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
I was thinking of making a minotaur warlord for a war campaign that I have coming up. however, the Monster Manual says that minotaurs are chaotic evil and worship demons. I personally have something against using chaotic evils, because they can easily ruin a game. Can you change the alignment of a character to better fit what you want, or are alignments concrete?
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Alignments are guidelines, particularly useful for PC foes, not hard rules, especially when it comes to PCs. You should always feel free to alter a listed alignment for a specific individual, PC or monster, to suit your needs.

Playing a minotaur warlord who is discliplined and righteous (maybe even lawful good), in other words, playing against type, sounds like a fun idea. 
I created the character and made his alignment Lawful Good. In his past, he was chaotic evil and worshipped a demon, but that demon murdered the minotaur's entire tribe. This made the minotaur switch allegiances. He now fights for justice and truth.
I fight for freedom. I fight for justice. I fight for honor. I fight for VENGEANCE.Beware, all you monsters, all you villains, for you have unleashed the wrath of Edward Darkforest. May your god have pity on your soul. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDDGJr6LOiw&feature=share Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Some minotaurs are demon-worshippers, some are not. The PHB3 touches on this a little bit, but Dragon has several articles that properly explain the nature of minotaur society and how Baphomet's corruption affects it.

The MM ones are mostly evil-aligned because (unsurprisingly) they're the types that are most likely to go on a rampage and require PC intervention (although it's worth noting that the generic minotaur warrior is neutral). The non-evil sorts tend to keep to themselves to the point that any interaction (nevermind combat) is unlikely.

Being from a settlement that was partly or wholly corrupted by Baphomet (and possibly destroyed in the ensuing conflict) is one of the common backgrounds for minotaur characters.
I made the character from the Monster Manual, because they have that playable races section in the back. I only own the PHB1 and not the other two.

You can get the current stats for the minotaur by signing up for DDI - a subscription gets you access to all the material in the game through the character builder and compendium. It's fairly inexpensive.

Player Characters are never constrained by what it says about their race in the MM. The monster writeups in the MM are strictly for monsters and NPCs.
 The minotaur character stats in the back of the MM for creating a minotaur PC overide the stats in the monster writeup - and those stats don't list any alignment.
 Also, because the minotaur has been published in the PHB 3, the stats in that book are now officially the stats for the minotaur race - the ones in the back of the MM are outdated and no longer apply.

The current stats for the minotaur are:

-  +2 Strength, +2 Constitution or +2 Wisdom
 -  +2 Nature, +2 Perception.
 -  They're Medium creatures, they have a Speed of 6 and they speak Common and one other other language.

They have the following racial traits:

- Vitality: One additional healing surge.
 - Heedless Charge: A +2 racial bonus to AC against opportunity attacks provoked during a charge.
 - Ferocity: When reduced to 0 hit points or fewer, you can make a melee basic attack as an immediate reaction.

They also gain the Goring Charge racial encounter power:

Goring Charge

Encounter           
Standard action       Melee 1

Effect: You charge and make the following attack in place of a melee basic attack.

Target: One creature
Attack: (Str, Con, or Dex) +4 vs. AC (improves to +6/+8 at 11th/21st level)
Hit: 1d6 + (Str, Con or Dex) modifier damage, and you knock the creature prone. This increases to 2d6 + stat mod damage and 3d6 + stat mod damage at 11th and 21st level.

Note that minotaurs no longer have the Oversized racial trait.

Show

I am the Magic Man.

(Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.)

I am the Lawnmower Man.

(I AM GOD HERE!)

I am the Skull God.

(Koo Koo Ka Choo)

There are reasons they call me Mad...

You should invest in the other player handbooks when you get the chance. The neatest parts about them are the new race sections. 
You should invest in the other player handbooks when you get the chance. The neatest parts about them are the new race sections. 

Oh I will. I just couldn't really afford the others when I bought the first one. I plan on buying every single 4e book.
Can you change the alignment of a character to better fit what you want, or are alignments concrete?

You can always change the anything of a character to better fit what you want.  Preferably talk to your DM about it, but don't be terribly shy.
Seriously, though, you should check out the PbP Haven. You might also like Real Adventures, IF you're cool.
Knights of W.T.F.- Silver Spur Winner
4enclave, a place where 4e fans can talk 4e in peace.
I am playing Trond Trondson, Good Minotaur Doctor. Talk to you DM first, and think about the game your going to be in. However don't be afraid to bend a few rules. Talk to your DM, and have a clear vision of what you want. I bend a few non-mechanical rules for Trond Trondson in our Feywild campaign, and its been the most fun I have had with a character in a long time. 
The Player's handbook makes mention of many minotaurs fighting against the temptation to let loose their inner monster, but that some work hard to control the corruption of their race.

A Minotaur that has seen the after-effect of what succumbing does, vows to live his life differently and control it (and in controlling his own over-brimming power becomes a better leader) sounds like a rather good example of a player character!