G/B or G/B/W deck?

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
So I went to my 1st FNM event tonight and played using what little standard I had with some cards the people there gave me to use. So I want to make a standard deck for FNM.

I have no idea what I want to do with it except it will either be G/B or G/B/W as that is what I am the best with. I have all of the basic land I need so I am just looking for everything else. Please don't try to sell me on any lands because I may get them later on, but for right now basic is fine.

I am willing to go for $40 maybe $45 but thats my limit. I think that is pretty good for everything besides land. Also I really want a deck that will be good for the new sets, but I don't think that they are listed yet sooo idk what to do. I honestly don't know what I want the deck to do I just want it to work and be able to get me in the top 8 so I can get some points and some new cards

Thanks for reading and for the help!
Those colors aren't too competitive right now, your best bet is GBW sorin and friends but it's out of your price range.

If you want the deck to be good you should really consider other colors 

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/5.jpg)

For that amount of money the only competitve deck you can make is goblins. The rest cost between 80-120 dollars.

Think of magic like you would a hobby. If you invest 40 dollars into ceramics you cant finish a pot. If you invest 40 dollars into a video game you cant buy a new good game. If you invest 40 dollars into art you might get 1 canvas. If you invest 40 dollars into one deck it wont be very good.
I've had a really good run with a undying deck which utilises cheap undying creatures (like Young Wolf Strangleroot Geist) and pump up like Rancor and Mutagenic Growth. It runs Birthing Pod as a way of finding and playing creatures quickly and Hex Parasite keeps the undying creatures coming back.

The slight issue is a few of the cards are rotating out in October. Some of the cards maybe out of your budget but can be replaced with other cards. I built this on a budget myself and acquiried quite a few cards second hand, either through trading or buying online. I found a good way to start this deck was to get the Spiralling Doom event deck from Dark Ascension (I managed to pick it up for just under £20).

I've had a really good run with a undying deck which utilises cheap undying creatures (like Young Wolf Strangleroot Geist) and pump up like Rancor and Mutagenic Growth. It runs Birthing Pod as a way of finding and playing creatures quickly and Hex Parasite keeps the undying creatures coming back.

The slight issue is a few of the cards are rotating out in October. Some of the cards maybe out of your budget but can be replaced with other cards. I built this on a budget myself and acquiried quite a few cards second hand, either through trading or buying online. I found a good way to start this deck was to get the Spiralling Doom event deck from Dark Ascension (I managed to pick it up for just under £20).

would this deck be good against a U/W counter deck?
The main idea for this deck is to come out hard and fast, unfortunately it doesn't have anything to stop counterspells or return cards from your graveyard if they get countered. However, I've found I rarely need cards to do this as most of the creatures have a low CMC. You can also put cards in the sideboard that will help with this. I know in my sideboard I had Naturalize, Beast Within and Bone Splinters just in case I needed remove things that my creatures couldn't.

Another card I put in the sideboard was Blistergrub, the main reason is when it dies your opponent loses 2 life. I know Geralf's Messenger and Mortis Dogs do this better, however it was mainly put in so I could sideboard it against decks running black. That it could get a lot of damage through with swampwalk and then I can sac it when I want to. If your opponent destroys it they force themselves to go down 2. 

Countering Birthing Pod will potentially slow the deck down (I had one game where a mono-blue delver deck countered all of my Birthing Pods with Mana Leak), however the creatures and their abilities made up for this.

Quite a lot of the time people's life totals drop quite a bit in the first few turns. You can even get Birthing Pod out on turn 2 (if you're willing to pay 2 life for the phyrexian mana cost).

EDIT: I played this deck at the M13 game day and unfortunately I missed out on the top 8. I was, however,  tied for 8th position. It was only because I won 2-1 in one of my matches instead of  2-0 that I didn't get 8th position. I came 9th in the end.