New to Magic, I want to make a Strong Green/Red deck.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
I'm new to magic and I am interested an a red and green deck with a few strong dragons.
I'm new to magic and I am interested an a red and green deck with a few strong dragons.

I think the best way for you to do this, as a newbie, is to use the Gatherer (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Default.aspx) and do a Search for the word "Dragon". Find a dragon that you like, and check out its abilities. Then they key is to search in Green and Red for cards that either Support the Dragon's abilities, get it out on the field sooner, or Protect/Enhance it once it comes out. Sometimes the deck just kind of builds itself when you look at the Cards.
In green, you can use its many variants of mana ramp, be that creatures like Birds of Paradise or Llanowar Elves, or land fetching spells like Cultivate and Rampant Growth. The later will thin your deck a little (if there are enough of those cards), making it slightly more probable to draw a big dragon. Fierce Empath would fit well, since it can fetch your a dragon with 6+ converted mana cost (CMC) and provides a body to block with, stalling your opponent. Another great creature is Sakura-Tribe Elder, which is pretty much Rampant Growth with legs. Block with it, then sacrifice it to fetch a land, great way to stall and ramp your mana. Dawntreader Elk is much the same. You could even expand beyond a two color deck with such cards, and use the Elder Dragons, like Teneb, the Harvester. Add a few mass removal spells like Slice and Dice to clear the board before putting out your dragons. Ryusei, the Falling Star is both, he has quite the potential to stop an opponent's onlaught.

Many red dragons have the firebreathing ability (" : [this creature] gets +1/+0 until end of turn.") which is weaker in a multicolored deck, especially one that uses green ramp, because that makes the deck mostly green and you'll use many Forests and fewer Mountains. This could be adressed with Prismatic Omen or Elsewhere Flask, but is probably not worth the effort. Better to just leave those out and use other dragons instead.

I would recommend to leave out the little dragons as well and focus on getting out the big ones. About 12 or so should suffice, especially if you use Fierce Empath to get them. Then you would also not need 4 copies of them and can have a greater variety of abilities. Green has other creature tutors as well.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
I run a red/green werewolf deck. It runs pretty fast and I enjoy it. If you like wolfies take a look at red/green werewolves
U.S Army Vet, Mother & Wife, Pre-med student, Tatted/Pierced, Avid fantasy novel reader, Doodler/Photoshop-er of random things etc etc... I am Blue/White
I am Blue/White
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
Too bad Rot Wolf's rotating out soon. It's the best one.

Though I'm sure this is a Rotwolf.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt