8/20/2012 Draft Simulator

40 posts / 0 new
Last post
This thread is for discussion of this week's Draft Simulator, which goes live Monday morning on magicthegathering.com.
I opted for krenko over nighthawk and ended up with a nutty r/g aggro deck.

Picks:

Deck:
Show
9 Mountain
7 Forest

2 Goblin Arsonist
1 Arbor Elf
2 Mogg Flunkies
2 Flinthoof Boar
3 Krenko's Command
1 Reckless Brute
1 Yeva's Forcemage
1 Krenko, Mob Boss
1 Primal Huntbeast
1 Garruk's Packleader

1 Kindled Fury
1 Prey Upon
1 Titanic Growth
3 Searing Spear
1 Wild Guess
1 Turn to Slag

1 Rancor
all of my randoms:
Show
I am Blue/Green
I am Blue/Green
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.
I am both rational and instinctive. I value self-knowledge and understanding of the world; my ultimate goal is self-improvement and improvement of the world around me. At best, I am focused and methodical; at worst, I am obsessive and amoral.
That red green does look pretty good......
Lol @ rare drafting in a make believe draft.
I think this draft really really revolved around pick 1 pack 1.
It was all about Nighthawk or Krenko.

Round 1:
Vampire Nighthawk I chose this over Krenko, I think Black is a more solid color to be in.
Mark of Mutiny Weak pack, i'll take the nice trick.
Searing Spear Fine then, force red on me.
Bloodhunter Bat Much better
Tormented Soul Filler, weak pack
Searing Spear This should NOT happen
Rise from the Grave Good value
Duress Not as good as you want it to be, but sideboard material
Harbor Bandit Possibly splash an island?
Walking Corpse Solid body at 2
Safe Passage Hate
Titanic Growth Hate
Craterize Unplayable
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident Unplayable
Mountain

Round 2:
Rise from the Grave Weak pack, but a second Rise is more value
Murder Best removal in the set, no reason to pass it
Murder Ditto
Ring of Xathrid Weak pack, and this is great on nighthawk
Duty-Bound Dead Good early blocker, something we'll need
Giant Scorpion Ditto
Gem of Becoming Hmmm, mana fixing seems needed if going 3 colors
Rancor Hate
Crippling Blight Way better than it seems.
Krenko's Command Possibly sideboard
Mind Rot Sideboard
Crippling Blight Love getting maindeck cards this late
Craterize Unplayable
Index Unplayable
Mountain

Round 3:
Sphinx of Uthuun A finisher, just what we needed
Liliana of the Dark Realms WHAT?
Knight of Infamy This guy is first pickable
Ring of Xathrid Just might run both rings
Harbor Bandit Value town, population us
Searing Spear Ok, now it's just silly
Giant Scorpion Yay blockers
Archaeomancer Recur Murder and Rise? Yes please
Zombie Goliath Sideboard
Smelt Sideboard
Volcanic Strength Actually good in the mono red matchup, sideboard
Kindled Fury Unplayable
Mind Sculpt Unplayable (in this deck)
Erase Unplayable
Plains

My deck might end up looking something like this.
Creatures 11
Duty-Bound Dead
Walking Corpse
Knight of Infamy
Vampire Nighthawk
Harbor Bandit x2
Giant Scorpion x2
Bloodhunter Bat
Archaeomancer
Sphinx of Uthuun

Spells 9
Searing Spear x3
Rise from the Grave x2
Murder x2
Crippling Blight x2

Artifacts / Planeswalker 4
Gem of Becoming
Ring of Xathrid x2
Liliana of the Dark Realms

Land 17
Swamp x8
Island x5
Mountain x4

It's 41 cards, but with the thinning Lilliana, Gem, and Sphinx provide the one extra card should
 not be noticeable.

It has AMAZING removal, double black ring with a lot of good bodies to wear them.
Also, double rise from the grave to get back creatures (and make them black for your rings) as well as an Archaeomancer to reuse your best spells and a Sphinx at the top end. Oh yeah.. Liliana of the Dark Realms!

Even your sideboard is decent, with an artifact removal spell and some discard for the slower controlling decks.

I think the only way you lose with this is you have mana issues. But, realistically you can go until turn 6 or 7 or so with just swamps.
It's hard to take this program seriously when you get an 8th pick Rancor in the 2nd pack. Anyways, you can't go wrong with either the Nighthawk or Krenko, but I think R/g is the way to go. You end up with an insanely low curve with a lot of burn and some pump.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."
I think this draft really really revolved around pick 1 pack 1.
It was all about Nighthawk or Krenko.

Round 1:
Vampire Nighthawk I chose this over Krenko, I think Black is a more solid color to be in.
Mark of Mutiny Weak pack, i'll take the nice trick.
Searing Spear Fine then, force red on me.
Bloodhunter Bat Much better
Tormented Soul Filler, weak pack
Searing Spear This should NOT happen
Rise from the Grave Good value
Duress Not as good as you want it to be, but sideboard material
Harbor Bandit Possibly splash an island?
Walking Corpse Solid body at 2
Safe Passage Hate
Titanic Growth Hate
Craterize Unplayable
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident Unplayable
Mountain

Round 2:
Rise from the Grave Weak pack, but a second Rise is more value
Murder Best removal in the set, no reason to pass it
Murder Ditto
Ring of Xathrid Weak pack, and this is great on nighthawk
Duty-Bound Dead Good early blocker, something we'll need
Giant Scorpion Ditto
Gem of Becoming Hmmm, mana fixing seems needed if going 3 colors
Rancor Hate
Crippling Blight Way better than it seems.
Krenko's Command Possibly sideboard
Mind Rot Sideboard
Crippling Blight Love getting maindeck cards this late
Craterize Unplayable
Index Unplayable
Mountain

Round 3:
Sphinx of Uthuun A finisher, just what we needed
Liliana of the Dark Realms WHAT?
Knight of Infamy This guy is first pickable
Ring of Xathrid Just might run both rings
Harbor Bandit Value town, population us
Searing Spear Ok, now it's just silly
Giant Scorpion Yay blockers
Archaeomancer Recur Murder and Rise? Yes please
Zombie Goliath Sideboard
Smelt Sideboard
Volcanic Strength Actually good in the mono red matchup, sideboard
Kindled Fury Unplayable
Mind Sculpt Unplayable (in this deck)
Erase Unplayable
Plains

My deck might end up looking something like this.
Creatures 11
Duty-Bound Dead
Walking Corpse
Knight of Infamy
Vampire Nighthawk
Harbor Bandit x2
Giant Scorpion x2
Bloodhunter Bat
Archaeomancer
Sphinx of Uthuun

Spells 9
Searing Spear x3
Rise from the Grave x2
Murder x2
Crippling Blight x2

Artifacts / Planeswalker 4
Gem of Becoming
Ring of Xathrid x2

Land 17
Swamp x8
Island x5
Mountain x4

It's 41 cards, but with the thinning Lilliana, Gem, and Sphinx provide the one extra card should
 not be noticeable.

It has AMAZING removal, double black ring with a lot of good bodies to wear them.
Also, double rise from the grave to get back creatures (and make them black for your rings) as well as an Archaeomancer to reuse your best spells and a Sphinx at the top end. Oh yeah.. Liliana of the Dark Realms!

Even your sideboard is decent, with an artifact removal spell and some discard for the slower controlling decks.

I think the only way you lose with this is you have mana issues. But, realistically you can go until turn 6 or 7 or so with just swamps.

i have problems with lots of this...
First off there are lots of reasons somone may pick nighthawk over krenko but because its black not red is not valid and is just increadably noobish. 
second coming from somone who just dismissed krenko on the pursose that hes red you then pick MoM over an in my opion a infinatly better p1p2 escense scatter.
Third  calling tormented soul a "weak filler spot" in limited when your playing black i dont believe is true at all. and if you consider it a weak pick why not take wildguess which is a very solid red card as you seemed to get over your fear of red at least slightly.
4th. even consider taking a 2/2 for 2 over a dark favor Just after picking both tormented soul and harbor bandits is totaly fail.
5th, if your hate picking when you have nighthawk and bats in your deck is plummet not a better choice? especial when you already have burn spells to counter trick 2 for 1 against growth.

pack 2. 
yeah ok slightly weaker then average pack but rise from the game is a good solid card.
6th, i agree with the pick just dont understand the statement of weak pack. the fact it has a ring in it when you have fliers and unblocks all in colour makes it an epic pack.
7th, so far from when i have seen. your deck is evasion/ agro bassed. i think you are severly underestimating the importance of cheap card draw if your picking a defender over it even if it has deathtouch.
8th, hating is fine but when you have a card that could possibly make you deck better it seems like a weak idea. i would pick vile rebirth at this stage.
9th, i agree with cripiling blight being a good card but seeing as you havnt already i would see this as a very good opertunity to late pick an epic enchant for your unblockables.
10th? wow seriously? even when your this heavy black sign in blood still misses out to a possable sideboard card? thats just..... wow.
11th, see reason 9.

ok pack 3.
12th, so far blue is only a splash color, picking a double blue mana card even as a finisher seems kinda weak. the chaces of getting to play it is small. i see escence drain or even switcharoo as a much better pick.
13th, again double blue on the mage, any of the 3 black cards are better in this situation.
14th, kindled fury... unplayable when you currently have 3 death touch men? not sure i agree with you.

well thats that. didnt mean to rant so much. my thoughts

WOW!  Ok, opening the Awesome Krenko in pack 1 is great to begin with, but then the flood of Red both Goblins and burn was just awesome.  Knowing mono-color decks are rare I started grabbing Green, because for aggro it is hard to bear R/G.  I did have some thought to U just to provide ways to protect Krenko should I land him, but then when pack2 pick 8 showed a Rancor I was locked in.  I am guessing the bots have still not been updated, because how a Rancor is passed by all 7 other players is beyond me.  I hate draft it even when I KNOW green isn't my color.  That card is just a meanace when played against you in draft or sealed.

Back to R/G aggro though, I recently did a draft where I didn't get a Rancor but ended up with 3 Flinthoof Boar, 3 Mogg Flunkies and 4 Timberpack Wolf and let me tell you it was brutal.  Just about every turn 3 I was attacking with 2 3/3s or a 3/3 and a 2/2.  Almost every deck with have issues with that kind of power that early.

Creatures(11):
Goblin Arsonist x 2
Flinthoof Boar x 2
Timberpack Wolf  --- Even solo it is a 2/2 for 2, good for draft aggro.
Elvish Visionary x 2 --- Cantrip in 1/1 body, very good in aggro
Mogg Flunkies --- Surprisingly effective in aggro decks, don't snooze on this guy
Centaur Courser --- 3/3 for 3, solid, triggers Packleader
Krenko, Mob Boss --- If they don't deal with him immediately he will overwhelm them.  Too bad Fervor didn't table.
Garruk's Packleader --- Aggro's one downfall is running out of gas, he helps with draw if he can live.

Spells(11):
Rancor --- This card is just so wrong, massive card advantage almost everytime.
Titanic Growth x 2 --- You only thought it was a 1/1... muhhahahaha
Krenko's Command x 4  --- While spells, these push our creature cards to 15.
Searing Spear x 3 --- Don't rush to cast these, hiding them will allow for end game opportunities
Chandra's Fury  --- Helps finish off both for it's 4 damage and for clearing the board of defense for the final Alpha.

Artifact(1):
Ring of Evos Isle  -- Want to Keep Krenko alive

Land(17):
Mountainx9
Forestx8

I had some notible ommissions, Prey Upon was left out because I already have some good removal, plus most creatures are weenie types, so Titanic Growth allows for similar function with more potential.  I also had many creatures I ended up cutting for streamlining purposes.  There was just too many options.  And based on cards I passed on in the draft, I think you could make a solid case for making a solid Red deck too. 

RAWR!!! R/G/w smashy smashy.

Round 1:
Krenko, Mob Boss This guy gets out of control REAL quick.
Rummaging Goblin  Ok, I admit, I wasn't sure, but I figured if I was going gobliln tribal I'd want to dig for my gobbos
Searing Spear kill
Acidic Slime utility
Farseek color fixins
Searing Spear kill
Dragon Hatchling NOM FACE
Spiked Baloth yeah, he dies easy, but 4 power is at least great to hide behind while you poop out craploads of goblins
Goblin Arsonist cheap goblin
Goblin Arsonist cheap goblin
Fog whatevs
Plummet sideboard
Kindled Fury whatevs
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident MAIN DECK BABY (not...)
Mountain whatevs

Round 2:
Krenko's Command fuel for the Krenkster
Garruk's Packleader potential card draw
Turn to Slag burn baby
Krenko's Command more gobbo fuel
Intrepid Hero ZOMG SPLASH
Krenko's Command???? More commands?
Dragon Hatchling moar face noms
Rancor????how is this still here?????
Spiked Baloth value for my packleader
Krenko's CommandO.O....4...commands...!!!
Titanic Growth sure
Naturalize this is def main deckable in m13
Craterize whatevs
Index whatevs
Mountain whatevs

Round 3:
Centaur Courser curve filler, didn't need another 4-drop baloth and it still triggers packleader
Flinthoof Boar It hurts to pass lili, but this card is awesome for me
Clone um...sure, why not.  nothing else tasty
Ring of Xathrid hm....regenerate...
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker fetch slime or baloths
Goblin Battle Jester I have enough burn I think and I know I want to shove damage through with goblins and he helps me do that
Cleaver Riot finisher
Titanic Growth sure, why not
Spiked Baloth oh hi there
Smelt sideboard for someone who has LOTS of artifacts
Farseek nice
Kindled Fury meh
Mind Sculpt whatevs
Erase whatevs
Plains whatevs

Creatures (17)

Non-Creatures (7)
[deck]
1x Rancor
2x Searing Spear
2x Farseek
1x Naturalize
1x Turn to Slag
[/deck]

Lands (17)
[deck]
8x Mountain
8x Forest
1x Plains
[/deck]

Creature 17
1-2
2-7
3-2
4-4
5-2

Non-Creature 7
1-1
2-5
3-0
4-0
5-1

total 24
1-3
2-12
3-2
4-4
5-3

Meh, so it's 41 cards, but I think I want that 17th land so I'm good with it.  It looks fun although it might fall apart if I don't get Krenko.  Oh well.

***************************************************************************************

From Mark Rosewater's Tumblr: the0uroboros asked: How in the same set can we have a hexproof, unsacrificable(not a word) creature AND a land that makes it uncounterable. How does this lead to interactive play? I believe I’m able to play my creature and you have to deal with it is much more interactive than you counter my creature.

***************************************************************************************

Post #777

MaRo: One of the classic R&D stories happened during a Scars of Mirrodin draft. Erik Lauer was sitting to my right (meaning that he passed to me in the first and third packs). At the end of the draft, Erik was upset because I was in his colors (black-green). He said, "Didn't you see the signals? I went into black-green in pack one." I replied, "Didn't you see my signals? I started drafting infect six drafts ago."

MaRo: I redesigned him while the effect was on the stack.

I was digging the black discard and blue mill combo ;p Because I'm craz-ayy
This "simulation" was straight-up unreal. Red was clearly open (which combined nicely with opening Krenko), and black seemed the most likely color to also be open...and it paid off. Triple Searing Spear, double Murder? Liliana with plenty of Krenko's Commands, Knight of Infamies, Mogg Flunkies and even Walking Corpses to actually protect her?

The R/G and U/B lists look strong, but B/R was an Arms Dealer short of straight-up unbeatable.

I think Krenko is the clear overall first pick here. Muckwader is the only other good red card in the pack, but Nighthawk is better, so we're not going to be putting our neighbor into red. Besides, Krenko works well with any R/x combination; hell, he works well without any other goblins. Nighthawk *is* good, but not actually a card that outright wins if unanswered for a few turns - every color can draw into answers, and blue is the only color without one at common (Fog Bank). I then think the correct second pick is Flunkies, as it is the best card in the pack aside from Essence Scatter, and Searing Spear third is easy, firmly putting us in red.

Fourth pick is where it gets tricky. Bloodhunter Bat combines best with an aggressive goblins deck, so that's what I picked, but there are other good options that combine well with Krenko+Searing Spear.
Round 1:
Krenko, Mob Boss
Rummaging Goblin
Searing Spear
Bloodhunter Bat
Farseek
Searing Spear
Dragon Hatchling
Duress
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Arsonist
Safe Passage
Plummet
Kindled Fury
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
Mountain

Round 2:
Rise from the Grave
Krenko's Command
Chandra's Fury
Krenko's Command
Intrepid Hero
Cleaver Riot
Duty-Bound Dead
Rancor
Krenko's Command
Bloodthrone Vampire
Titanic Growth
Naturalize
Hydrosurge
Index
Mountain

Round 3:
Torch Fiend
Flinthoof Boar
Canyon Minotaur
Chandra's Fury
Volcanic Strength
Searing Spear
Flinthoof Boar
Titanic Growth
Spiked Baloth
Smelt
Wild Guess
Craterize
Mind Sculpt
Erase
Plains

First pick Krenko drove the draft.  Thought I'd be playing RB until a  pick Rancor turned me to RG.

Creatures (10+)
Goblin Arsonist
Goblin Arsonist
Dragon Hatchling
Torch Fiend
2 x Flinthoof Boar
Rummaging Goblin
Canyon Minotaur
Krenko, Mob Boss
Spiked Baloth

Other Spells (14-)
Rancor
3 x Krenko's Command
3 x Searing Spear
Plummet
2 x Titanic Growth
Wild Guess
2 x Chandra's Fury
Cleaver Riot

Land (16)
10 x Mountains
6 x Forest

Notable Sideboard
Kindled Fury
Smelt
Naturalize
Farseek
Volcanic Strength
Craterize
Duress
Duty-Bound Dead
Bloodthrone Vampire
Bloodhunter Bat
Rise from the Grave
Intrepid Hero
Safe Passage

Since I'm not an experianced drafter would anyone mind telling me if my picks were any good? Had a good feeling about Vampire Nighthawk on my first pick (plust if this were real I would need him for my Vampire deck later). Wound up going B/U.

Also, for some reason it always cuts off the bottom part of my screen, so I never can see the power/toughness or some of the abilities of the cards. How do I fix this?
Thank you Blitzschnell for the awesome banner!
[sblock Draft]Round 1:
Vampire Nighthawk
Walking Corpse
Bloodhunter Bat
Bloodhunter Bat
Tormented Soul
Vile Rebirth
Deadly Recluse
Spiked Baloth
Ranger's Path
Courtly Provocateur
Fog
Titanic Growth
Craterize
Merfolk of the Pearl Trident
Mountain

Round 2:
Yeva's Forcemage
Murder
Murder
Ring of Xathrid
Duty-Bound Dead
Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
Duty-Bound Dead
Rancor
Dark Favor
Bloodthrone Vampire
Titanic Growth
Naturalize
Craterize
Index
Mountain

Round 3:
Centaur Courser
Knight of Infamy
Walking Corpse
Prey Upon
Vile Rebirth
Arbor Elf
Timberpack Wolf
Yeva's Forcemage
Mind Rot
Farseek
Kindled Fury
Mind Sculpt
Erase
Plains
[/sblock]

DECKLIST (40)
LANDS (17)
8 x Forest
9 x Swamp

CREATURES (15)
2 x Duty-Bound Dead
1 x Tormented Soul
1 x Arbor Elf
1 x Knight of Infamy
2 x Walking Corpse
1 x Deadly Recluse
1 x Vampire Nighthawk
1 x Centaur Courser
2 x Yeva's Forcemage
1 x Mwonvuli Beast Tracker
2 x Bloodhunter Bat

OTHER SPELLS (7)
1 x Vile Rebirth
1 x Rancor
1 x Ring of Xathrid
1 x Titanic Growth
1 x Farseek
2 x Murder

PLANESWALKER (1)
1 x Liliana of the Dark Realms

NOTABLE SIDEBOARD CARDS
1 x Prey Upon
1 x Vile Rebirth
1 x Titanic Growth
1 x Naturalize
1 x Mind Rot
1 x Ranger's Path
1 x Spiked Baloth
1 x Dark Favor

[sblock Mana Curve]Creatures
1cc - 4
2cc - 4
3cc - 5
4cc - 2
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Other Spells
1cc - 3
2cc - 2
3cc - 2
4cc - 0
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0

Total
1cc - 7
2cc - 6
3cc - 7
4cc - 3
5cc - 0
6cc - 0
7cc - 0[/sblock]

This deck should be fast with enough removal to take the opponent out by midgame.  Several ways to pump creatures, a few ways to eliminate opposing creatures, a few creatures with Exhalted and some deathtouch to keep opponent from attacking.  I left Prey Upon in sideboard because most of my creature toughness is small.  With nothing over 4 cmc and 17 lands, mana shouldn't be an issue.  I went with a more even split on lands because of sideboard and my mana helper/fix.  This looks like a fun deck, many complimenting cards, I wish I could actually play it.
Autocarding
Please Please Please Autocard/// / / / [c]Protean Hydra[/c] => Protean Hydra / / / I can't read the cards you reference without it... / Well, ok, I CAN read the cards, but it involves opening Gatherer, looking your card up by name, hoping it's spelled right, and... I'm just too lazy to do it, alright? Please Autocard.
After two packs, I had a pretty good G/W deck I was fairly happy with - then in pack 3 there was almost nothing.  Turns out that the people to my right were G/W, W/G, G/U, and W/G, pushed there by multiple green and white mythics.  Ouch.
Thanks to everyone who helped with the design of the plane of Golamo in the Great Designer Search 2!
My Decks
These are the decks I have assembled at the moment:
Tournament Decks (4)
Kicker Aggro (Invasion Block) Sunforger/Izzet Guildmage Midrange (Ravnica/Time Spiral/Xth Standard) Dragonstorm Combo (Time Spiral/Lorwyn/Xth Standard) Bant Midrange (Lorwyn/Shards/M10 Standard)
Casual Multiplayer Decks (50)
Angel Resurrection Casual Soul Sisters Sindbad's Adventures with Djinn of Wishes Sphinx-Bone Wand Buyback Morph (No Instants or Sorceries) Cabal Coffers Control Zombie Aggro Hungry, Hungry Greater Gargadon/War Elemental Flashfires/Boil/Ruination - Boom! Call of the Wild Teysa, Orzhov Scion with Twilight Drover, Sun Titan, and Hivestone Slivers Rebels Cairn Wanderer Knights Only Gold and () Spells Captain Sisay Toolbox Spellweaver Helix Combo Merfolk Wizards Izzet Guildmage/The Unspeakable Arcane Combo Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind and his Wizards Creatureless Wild Research/Reins of Power Madness Creatureless Pyromancer Ascension Anarchist Living Death Anvil of Bogardan Madness Shamen with Goblin Game/Wound Reflection Combo Mass damage Quest for Pure Flame Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle/Clear the Land with 40+ Lands Doubling Season Thallids Juniper Order Ranger Graft/Tokens Elf Archer Druids Equilibrium/Aluren Combo Experiment Kraj Combo Reap Combo False Cure/Kavu Predator Combo Savra, Queen of the Golgari Sacrifice/Dredge Elf Warriors Eight-Post Sneak Attack Where Ancients Tread Zur the Enchanter with Opal creatures Tamanoa/Kavu Predator/Collapsing Borders Esper Aggro Mishra, Artificer Prodigy and his Darksteel Reactor Theft and Control Unearth Aggro Soul's Fire Vampires Devour Tokens Phytohydra with Powerstone Minefield Treefolk Friendly? Questing Phelddagrif Slivers Dragon Arch Fun I'm probably forgetting a few...
I got a Battle of Wits in my first pack and just decided to draft a u/b/w deck. Practical? Not at all. Fun to play? Oh yes.