Question about sideboards and when they can be used.

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
When can a sideboard be used?  I know you have to go into your first game in your first match with everything like it is when you registered.  But, if you were to make some changes to your deck during a match that seemed to really help your deck, can you just leave it that way?  Or do you have to revert back to the original deck before the next match and only put those cards in after the first game of each consecutive match?

Thanks

SG
Game 1 of the match, as you said, must be played with your original 60 (or above) card decklist.

After game 1, you may choose to sideboard anywhere from 0 to 15 cards from your sideboard, creating a list for game 2 that is still equal to 60 cards.  If there is a game 3, you can obviously choose to leave it the same, but may again create any combo of cards equal to your original deckside from your deck + sideboard.

Before starting the next match, you must put your deck back to its original 60 (or above) card list.
Game 1 of the match, as you said, must be played with your original 60 (or above) card decklist.

After game 1, you may choose to sideboard anywhere from 0 to 15 cards from your sideboard, creating a list for game 2 that is still equal to 60 cards.  If there is a game 3, you can obviously choose to leave it the same, but may again create any combo of cards equal to your original deckside from your deck + sideboard.

Before starting the next match, you must put your deck back to its original 60 (or above) card list.

Easier than "60 (or above)"... Your sideboard is 15 cards.

That said, your deck must remain the same from start to finish (excepting Limited). The sideboard you started with is the sideboard you finish with. The mainboard you start with is the mainboard you finish with.
lel♯ jenk♯ ∞

I'm the world's leading astrophysicist. You can trust me, because I said I was.
92827575 wrote:
57092228 wrote:
What's wrong with my formating?
you make paragraphs shorter than the page width
58280978 wrote:
Names that sam said were "the evil ones":
iamajellydonut glwiley kreewlin and every WizO
Thanks!  That's exactly the info I needed!

SG
note: in events without a decklist recorded, you may make swaps between your sideboard and deck between games and matches and keep them that way.

Usually, this applies more to booster drafts and sealed deck limited events. 

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

note: in events without a decklist recorded, you may make swaps between your sideboard and deck between games and matches and keep them that way.

Usually, this applies more to booster drafts and sealed deck limited events. 

Is that an official rule or up to store policy?  We don't do deck lists at the weekly tourney and I'd love to pre-board against Delver.
It's an official rule, but it only applies to Limited events where there are no recorded decklists.
Players participating in Limited tournaments that do not use decklists may freely change the composition of their decks between matches by exchanging cards from their deck for cards in their sideboard without being required to return their deck to its original composition before their next match. The Head Judge or Tournament Organizer must inform players if this option is not being used prior to the start of deckbuilding. This option is not available at Competitive or Professional REL tournaments.

I checked the Constructed Rules and there is no similar exemption

DCI Certified Judge & Goth/Industrial/EBM/Indie/Alternative/80's-Wave DJ
DJ Vortex

DCI Certified Judge since July 13, 2013
DCI #5209514320

My Wife's Makeup Artist Page <-- cool stuff - check it out

Sign In to post comments