M13 Achievement Checklist for Timmies and Johnnies

31 posts / 0 new
Last post

M13 has a lot of fun Timmy and Johnny moments. Here's a list of some "achievements" I can think of. (I haven't achieved all of them.) Add your own! 

By the way the "levels" are levels of unlikeliness. It doesn't necessarily mean you should aim for it to win.

Basic Level

Intermidiate Level

Advanced Level

God of Draft Level

Goblin Artisans - A Magic Design Blog by GDS2 Contestants and Collaborators
Meh, I've seen Door win a game (although not a match), and I have seen several people cast Worldfire and win, although only one person set things up so they really had a reasonable expectation of such.

Also, booo Magic Online bias.

Also, consider adding "Casting the same card 3 times" or Archeomancering Switcharoo and giving your opponent an Archeomancer.
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)
Congratulations, they have activated your trap card!
Meh, I've seen Door win a game (although not a match), and I have seen several people cast Worldfire and win, although only one person set things up so they really had a reasonable expectation of such.

Wow, how did the guy set up the win after the Worldfire?

He was running both Thragtusk and Oblivion Ring, I think the time he actually pulled Worldfire (late 2nd pack pick after he had the Tusk) with a Tusk out and won with the beast token.

It was a pretty good deck actually, although the 3 colors did destabaize his mana base a bit. 
"I think me going Bang bang bang I win is pretty intuitive" Mafia Record: Wouldn't you like to know? 2011 Mafia Awards - Mastermind of the Year
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Moriok Rigger does absolutely nothing to boost other riggers. You are incorrect.
Moriok Rigger is not a Rigger in print. Only in Errata WHAT NOW! (yes, I did put that phrase in for that exact reason)

He was running both Thragtusk and Oblivion Ring, I think the time he actually pulled Worldfire (late 2nd pack pick after he had the Tusk) with a Tusk out and won with the beast token.

It was a pretty good deck actually, although the 3 colors did destabaize his mana base a bit. 
mymoment
\
57817638 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
88318561 wrote:
58060728 wrote:
Return Talrand's Invocation with Archaeomancer

This is good, but I don't really see what makes it special.

Make an awesome swap with Switcheroo (such as Kraken Hatchling and a Serra Angel).

Kraken Hatchling isn't a good enough trade, since it is actually a solid blocker. Should be Elvish Visionary, Bond Beetle, Ravenous Rats, 1/1 token, etc.

Deal 20 damage in one turn with tokens and Trumpet Blast

I would make this "Deal over 20 damage where you would normally deal 10 damage or less using Trumpet Blast." I think Blasting five Silvercoat Lions is still quite impressive.

Draft a RB mono-2-drops-and-Reckless Brutes deck

You got the color wrong here. It's a deck. You got one more bear and Pacifism.

Use Trading Post to craft the game in your favor.

This isn't hard beyond the initial "open Trading Post" part.

Get so many tokens that they overflow from the screen with Krenko, Mob Boss.

The screen? Is that a new zone?

Return Switcharoo with Archeomancer and give your opponent an Archeomancer

This should be basic.

Win a draft with a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker deck.

Should be "Win 2 games with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker on the battlefield." What's the point of this achievement if you don't actually have to cast the card?

Draft a control deck that makes effective use of Wall of Fire.

Could you clarify what you mean by "effective"?

When you know the opponent has a Switcheroo, trick the opponent into stealing your Stuffy Doll and blocking with it.

"Play cards and hope your opponent does something." is not a good goal.

Draft a deck that uses creatures from the Arctic Aven cycle in 3 or more colors.

This would be more interesting as "Activate 3 different mainboard creatures from the Arctic Aven cycle throught the draft."

Cast the same card 3 times in a game.

This should probably be lower level. You can pull it off pretty easy with something like Silvercoat Lion, even easier with Divination.

When you have some tokens that are empowering a Crusader of Odric or a Bloodthrone Vampire, double your token count with Fungal Sprouting.

This is what I was looking for, it's my favorite combo.

When the opponent casts a key creature, but forgets to move a Blue or Black Ring ring (hexproof or regenerate) to it because it wasn't the matching color, kill the creature with removal and follow with the comment, "if you liked it you should have put a ring on it."

This is more of hoping your opponent does something.

Use Fervor effectively.

"Play multiple creatures after playing Fervor that do something better than just attacking a turn early."
With four M13 drafts (and a Sealed prerelease) under my belt, here's what I've managed so far.

Basic Level

Intermidiate Level

Advanced Level

• Combo Stuffy Doll with Courtly Provocateur or Magmaquake. (Or Prey Upon if the opponent has a fatty and is low on life.) You forgot Turn to Slag ;)

• When you know the opponent has a Switcheroo, trick the opponent into stealing your Stuffy Doll and blocking with it. I've had my Doll stolen two times but obviously it's not been blocking.

• Cast the same card 3 times in a game. Everyone loves the third Essence Scatter - right? How about the fourth? I am a monster.

Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
Return Talrand's Invocation with Archaeomancer

This is good, but I don't really see what makes it special.

Actually I just wanted to list things that feel good to do in M13; things that make you look forward to playing the set or make you think "I've got to draft again, cause I haven't tried ___ yet." Not all of them need to be tricky or unusual.

Make an awesome swap with Switcheroo (such as Kraken Hatchling and a Serra Angel).

Kraken Hatchling isn't a good enough trade, since it is actually a solid blocker. Should be Elvish Visionary, Bond Beetle, Ravenous Rats, 1/1 token, etc.

What matters is whether the trade was deliciously unfair in that particular board state or not.

Deal 20 damage in one turn with tokens and Trumpet Blast

I would make this "Deal over 20 damage where you would normally deal 10 damage or less using Trumpet Blast." I think Blasting five Silvercoat Lions is still quite impressive.

Ok, the key part is Trumpet Blast and 20 damage in one turn then.

Draft a RB mono-2-drops-and-Reckless Brutes deck

You got the color wrong here. It's a deck. You got one more bear and Pacifism.

RB is good too. You get Tormented Soul to help your Mogg Flunkies attack. Crippling Blight helps Reckless Brute and is available at a later pick than you would get Pacifism. Dark Favor is better than a Divine Favor and works well on Goblin Tokens and Tormented Souls. And Crimson Muckwader is a factor too. 

Use Trading Post to craft the game in your favor.

This isn't hard beyond the initial "open Trading Post" part.

You have to have artifacts or a control deck to maximize it, though.

Get so many tokens that they overflow from the screen with Krenko, Mob Boss.

The screen? Is that a new zone?

When you snap a photo with your iPhone to show your twitter followers what you did, there are so many tokens that they don't fit in the screen.

Win a draft with a Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker deck.

Should be "Win 2 games with Nicol Bolas, Planeswalker on the battlefield." What's the point of this achievement if you don't actually have to cast the card?

If you warp your deck enough to be able to reliablty cast Nicol (high land count, 3 colors, etc) and you win without drawing him, I feel that should still count.

Draft a control deck that makes effective use of Wall of Fire.

Could you clarify what you mean by "effective"?

I was thinking of something like a Blue-Red control deck, or siding it in against Centaur Coursers deck, or a Flyers-and-Magmaquake deck (if that exists). Whatever it is, it has to be optimal for that deck or matchup rather than just filler. (Of course, it's not a terrible card and part of the achievement would be overcoming the feeling that "walls suck.")

When you know the opponent has a Switcheroo, trick the opponent into stealing your Stuffy Doll and blocking with it.

"Play cards and hope your opponent does something." is not a good goal.

It's a Jedi Mind Trick achievement.

When you have some tokens that are empowering a Crusader of Odric or a Bloodthrone Vampire, double your token count with Fungal Sprouting.

This is what I was looking for, it's my favorite combo.

Awesome.

When the opponent casts a key creature, but forgets to move a Blue or Black Ring ring (hexproof or regenerate) to it because it wasn't the matching color, kill the creature with removal and follow with the comment, "if you liked it you should have put a ring on it."

This is more of hoping your opponent does something.

Ok, you could substitute this with any pun or song reference based on the board state.The challenge is coming up with the pun immediately.

Use Fervor effectively.

"Play multiple creatures after playing Fervor that do something better than just attacking a turn early."

I would consider it an achievement to just cast Fervor and attack with hasted creatures, if the deck is somehow built so that it's reliably better to cast Fervor than a normal 3-drop like Centaur Courser. (I may be underestimating Fervor though)
Ones I've done so far

Basic Level

(How about casting it with both in play?  ^_^)

Intermediate Level

Advanced Level

God of Draft Level

• Use Boundless Realms effectively.  (Touch of the Eternal FTW!  Wow, that was such a bad deck though.)

Also thought of a couple of achievements as well.
Intermediate level.  Sacrifice a creature pumped with Titanic Growth to Disciple of Bolas post-combat.
Advanced level.  Reach 50+ life in a limited game that you win thanks to Rhox Faithmender.

Those who fear the darkness have never seen what the light can do.

I've seen angels fall from blinding heights. But you yourself are nothing so divine. Just next in line.

191752181 wrote:
All I'm saying is, I don't really see how she goes around petrifying swords and boots and especially mirrors. How the heck does she beat a Panoptic Mirror? It makes no sense for artifacts either. Or enchantments, for that matter. "Well, you see, Jimmy cast this spell to flood the mountain, but then the gorgon just looked at the water really hard and it went away."

Let's see now, here is what I've done 

Basic Level

Advanced Level

• Get the Intrepid Hero x Rancor combo.

• Draft a deck that uses creatures from the Arctic Aven cycle in 3 or more colors (and activates them).

• Cast the same card 3 times in a game.

Guess I'm just not a Timmy/Johnny anymore. 

Advanced Level

Sacrifice at least 3 creatures to Bloodthrone Vampire, then sacrifice Bloodthrone Vampire to Disciple of Bolas.

God Level

Pull off the Bloodthrone Vampire/Disciple of Bolas combo and cast Faith's Reward after.
Speaking of blow outs with Public Execution. I had an Execution play where I was at about 4 and Fogged around 12 damage with it. I ended up coming back and winning that one. The card is amazing, still too slow against some decks (six-drop-removal for the win?)
God of Draft Level

IMAGE(http://i45.tinypic.com/2zps112.png)
IMAGE(http://i46.tinypic.com/2qkp6cz.png)
IMAGE(http://i45.tinypic.com/14904md.png)

4 pack sealed.
Using griffin protector, use a flash creature as a combat trick

... Oh God now I need to draft more U/W. I can't wait to hear my opponent go "Essence Drain your Griffin", and just go: "In response, Faerie Invaders". Mise!
Preparing for the M14 Prerelease - New article up! IN THE TANK - my very own blog for rambling about Magic!
I think it would be funnier with Vile Rebirth.

Also Mark of the Vampire on Primal Huntbeast is insane,
Just lived the dream.

Sac 2 Goblin Tokens to Bloodthrone Vampire, sac Bloodthrone Vampire to Disciple of Bolas, gain 5 and draw 5.
I got to crush someone else's dreams last night at FNM by burning his Healer of the Pride in response to Captain's Call if that counts.
I got to crush someone else's dreams last night at FNM by burning his Healer of the Pride in response to Captain's Call if that counts.

Doesn't the lifegain still go on the stack?
The best turn ever:
I made a Goat with Trading Post, Switcheroo'd the Goat for his Knight of Glory, and killed the Goat with my Staff of Nin, then swung for Lethal with my Racor-and-Exalted-enhanced Primal Huntbeast.
There should be an achievement for that.

"I will diminish, and go into the west, and there remain SgtPepperjack. Y'know, you really ought to come along with me."

www.nogoblinsallowed.com

Doesn't the lifegain still go on the stack?

The Searing Spear resolved and killed his Healer of the Pride so it was not on the battlefield when Captain's Call resolved.  The ability never got to trigger.  I had to check the wording on a couple of times after he played it before I decided on that line of play to make sure it worked the way I thought it would.

Cheers
Play Elderscale Wurm. Win twenty-something turns later after your opponent draws the last card in their library.
Just lived the dream.

Sac 2 Goblin Tokens to Bloodthrone Vampire, sac Bloodthrone Vampire to Disciple of Bolas, gain 5 and draw 5.

Yesterday I Disciple of Bolased away an Encrusted Mogg Flunkies that had been buffed once by Ring of Valkas (a 2 for 7, I'm counting the lifegain as a card because I would have lost without it).

There should be an achievement for killing a certain number of creatures with Chandra's Fury. There should be another achievement for playing a Chandra's Fury post-combat to take down two or more creatures that have more than two toughness. 
Yes! I finally activated the Door in a draft!

The turn before activation

I couldn't get a screenshot of the moment of victory, but I won this one. I went 1-2 in a Swiss, but the ones I lost were extremely close.

Match 1
 Game 1: I get a 1-lander hand, so I mulligan and get another 1-lander hand, despite having 20 lands in my deck.I keep that hand and I manage to build up to the mana to activate Door, but the Door gets Encrusted, of all things.
 Game 2: I activate the Door (this screenshot)
 Game 3: I beat down with my ordinary cards and I'm about to win, but the opponent draws a bomb at the last possible moment.

Match 2
 I get another 1-lander hand. But it doesn't matter because the opponent didn't show up... I guess it's fitting for a deck that makes the opponent disappear into nothingness... 

Match 3
 Game 1: I have to mulligan again due to two 1-lander hands. Sometimes I feel my MODO account is cursed. This time I don't come close.
 Game 2: I played the Door with mana to activate it. I just need to block for one turn, but the opponent top-decks Pacifism. However, I had made some mistakes earlier in the game (such as not playing a blocker), so I may have won if I had played correctly. Also, the turn before I cast the door, I had played Diabolic Revelation fetching Door and two lands I needed. If I had fetched something else (like Fog + Removal + Archaeomancer) I may have survived, especially since the opponent was in top-deck mode .
The deck

I first-picked Door with the intent to make a mono-fog deck with as many Farseeks, Fogs, Revives, Divinations, Archaeomancers, Rummagers, and Jayemdae Tomes as I can get, but I just didn't see mant copies of those cards. (Of course, I don't know if a Tome-Fog deck could work, even if I had the copies).

I suppose it would be better to let the Door wheel, and keeping an eye on components like Divination and Farseek in case the Door wheels. The deck probably requires another win-con asides from the Door, and a Gilded Lotus.
That deck looks awesome.
Just drafted a deck with 2 Arctic Avens and 1 Prized Elephant.  Went 2-1, lost a match due to mana screw in game 3.

It was an evenly split 3-color deck.  The mana base was 5 Forest, 5 Island, 6 Plains, and 1 Evolving Wilds.
Well, I think I may have just hit the ultimate Spike vs Timmy/Johnny beat down. I was playing RDW against an extremely good G/R deck with Boundless Realms and at least 2 Volcanic Geyser. He hit the Boundless Realms on turn 7, while I had only 4 lands, a Rummaging Goblin and a Mogg Flunkies (due to his deck having just a ridiculous level of removal) I drew a non-land, but my inutition told me I absolutely, 100% needed a land that turn, so I rummaged my Firewing Phoenix into my graveyard to draw a mountain. I played the Shaman, and sure enough, he had Volcanic Geyser and thus lethal after he untapped the following turn. So I sent a 0 point Volcanic Geyser shot at his Arbor Elf and continued playing. I won (many turns later) on the strength of my Firewing Phoenix.

Which set me up to win the final round in classic limited RDW fashion Goblin Arsonist -> Mogg Flunkies -> Reckless Brute -> Firewing Phoenix -> double Searing Spear  ... FTW!
I managed to build another Door to Nothingness deck! In a Swiss draft, I first picked a Diabolic Revelations because the pack was weak, and then the second pack contained a Door to Nothingness.

I went 2-1 in the draft. It was surprisingly consistent for such a gimmicky deck - in each of the 5 games that I won, I won with the Door.

The deck had trouble with early fliers and artifact removal. Ideally, the deck would have Fog Bank, Faerie Invaders, and more removal. I don't know how to deal with opponents' artifact removal - Negate, Elixir of Immortality, or another inevitable win-con that uses a lot of mana?

Although this is just a fun challenge and not a serious strategy, in general I'm starting to appreciate having an overabundance of mana and ways to use it.
Well, I think I may have just hit the ultimate Spike vs Timmy/Johnny beat down. I was playing RDW against an extremely good G/R deck with Boundless Realms and at least 2 Volcanic Geyser.

It's great to know of this use of Boundless Realms. Congrats for beating it.

I really like the things that come up in this thread. And I think trying to play with cards like Door to Nothingness opens up your mind to how "wonky" decks can actually be somewhat competetive if you build them right - like the Spider Spawning deck of ISD, only less linear.

Advanced Level

Where does killing your opponent with Stuffy Doll and Arms Dealer (twice) fit? Done this last friday, extremely rewarding (despite going 1-2).