How to beat Krenko? is this a bug?

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi all, so I'm still a beginner a Magic but I get stuck at Krenko, he destroys me everytime.
Impossible to beat with the red deck, almost got him with the black deck but then it looks like a bug happened, he had a Reckless One which gives +1/+1 for each Goblins on the battlefield. In this case he only had 3, but the creature became a 6/4, I don't get why.
See screenshot Reckless One
Looks like he has a Battle-Rattle Shaman which can give it an extra +2/+0. And note that Reckless One is a Goblin so he counts himself!

Krenko can be annoying. If you haven't already, you can turn down the difficulty to "Mage", the easiest setting. And be sure to trim down your deck to 60 cards, any more than this makes your deck inconsistent. Choose your best 60 cards, specifically to beat this opponent. Any deck should be able to beat him eventually. 

If you need some more good cards as well, you might want to unlock the promos, a lot of these are strong cards. If you're still struggling let us know and we can recommend some decklists for beating him
I am a Rules advisor. Feel free to send me any questions as a private message! Check if you have found a bug in Duels 2013 Report a bug Report a technical issue I have written several guides to help new DoTP players here, move to the first post to start reading. They are also in Wordpress format here. The principles involved should still be useful for Duels 2013!
Useful links:
Find other DoTP players - a database of friendly players, find a match or post your name here to be added to the list! I'll add a D13 section if anyone would like. Ask a rules question - ask anything about DoTP, Magic in general, or to check out if you've found a bug by asking if the rules are being followed. Community thread for general chatter in the DoTP part of the forum! Guide to Yugioh on Xbox live: A beginner's guide focusing on the similarities and differences to Magic.
Thanks Robvalue. Haven't beat him up yet, I'll try again tonight.
It seems that to beat him you need a lot of small creatures that requires max 2 mana to get invoked on the battlefield otherwise you get overwhelmed with his as he can easily have 5 creatures at the same time.

I'm building a red deck at home using real cards, it seems like a Goblin deck is pretty fast and strong, would you recommend one for casual play?

Thanks again! 
Oh and thanks I did unlock all those cards a week ago, still have 30 or something locked ones.
It seems that to beat him you need a lot of small creatures that requires max 2 mana to get invoked on the battlefield otherwise you get overwhelmed with his as he can easily have 5 creatures at the same time.

I'm building a red deck at home using real cards, it seems like a Goblin deck is pretty fast and strong, would you recommend one for casual play?

Thanks again! 

Atlernatively, many decks have mass removal. The LifeDeck has Day of Judgment for four mana that clears his whole army. Liliana has Infest and cards like Mutilate. Exalted darkness has many cards which render goblin numbers obsolete (Silent Arbiter, No Mercy, Worship. If Goblins gets a good draw in 1v1 its extremely difficult for a lot of decks to match them.

Liliana has great answers for goblins. If you want to list your deck and tell us what you are running many of us will be happy to give you some suggestions!
Seeing how you're still playing against the AI and probably don't have much unlocked I recommend Peacekeepers. The first strikers and token producers are great at stalling the board and you win when you play a captain of the watch or something.

Thanks again! 

The goblin deck can be a problem for a lot of players, because it's fast and punishes bad or slow draws.  This is especially tough on new players who might still have time to stabalize or draw out against a slower deck, even if their deck isn't trimmed well.  I think the card content is a little above the curve compared to some of the other decks too, but I wouldn't say it's outright OP or anything.  I'd recommend using Chandra's deck if you're having a hard time against goblins, taking out most of your creatures and putting in most of your burn.

As for casual play, goblins can be fun, especially on a budget.  Though not as strong as a top tier deck, they tribal synergy allows them to be somewhat competative despite not having the individual power of more expensive cards.  If you're playing in a Standard format, however, keep in mind that the last block, Innistrad, gave almost no support to goblins, and that the Scars of Mirrodin block and M12 core set are about to rotate out, so you might want to see what the new set contains.
I think the biggest problem with Goblins is that newer players who are trying out the "other decks" get tired of constantly losing to Goblins, so they adopt a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" stance. Which leads to more Goblins players and so on and so forth.

On the iPad all I see is Goblins and Lifegain(???????) and on the Xbox it's Goblins and Liliana.

Just a theory.
@killabkilledb, yeah I like Liliana's deck, almost beat him with it. Need to try again.

@Cellophane, thanks, haven't played with white yet, I shold try too to get more familiar with it.

@DVestal, I used Chandra's the first time and got destroyed so I removed all the expensive creatures (3+ mana requied) and still got beat up bad but maybe I had bad draw too.

I bought the M13 core set (haven't received it yet from Amazon) plus a pack of 500 cards from a seller, it contains about a 100 uncommon and some rare, also got some individual cards from ebay.
Somebody recommended the Mob Rule deck, I guess I'll wait until I receive all my cards and see what I can do with them. 
I think the biggest problem with Goblins is that newer players who are trying out the "other decks" get tired of constantly losing to Goblins, so they adopt a "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" stance. Which leads to more Goblins players and so on and so forth.

On the iPad all I see is Goblins and Lifegain(???????) and on the Xbox it's Goblins and Liliana.

Just a theory.

Agree, I get easily impressed with Goblins and all the things they can do together so for beginners it's easy to be like, wow I want that lol

I used to play a really long time ago (10 years) and I played red and green  but no goblins.

Just a theory.

You see goblins on the ipad? I've seen them 2-3 times in the last 40 games or so?

Maybe the games match you by rank and you are higher than me so you play more goblins? (I'm playing on a brand new account I made for the tournament).

But I see Jace more than anyone else on Ipad.
@DVestal, I used Chandra's the first time and got destroyed so I removed all the expensive creatures (3+ mana requied) and still got beat up bad but maybe I had bad draw too.

I bought the M13 core set (haven't received it yet from Amazon) plus a pack of 500 cards from a seller, it contains about a 100 uncommon and some rare, also got some individual cards from ebay.
Somebody recommended the Mob Rule deck, I guess I'll wait until I receive all my cards and see what I can do with them. 

It's possible to lose to goblins with bad draws and any deck.  The games vs goblins tend to be higher variance, for both sides, because typically when the goblin deck wins, less cards are seen before the game ends, while if the goblin deck loses, it's typically fizzled or been stalled out in the first few turns and few of the cards it draws later have any impact on the board.  I find Chandra the easiest to win consistently against goblins.  Use your burn to kill their goblins, often using just 1 spell to kill multiple enemies, and prioritize higher impact goblins - especially the Chieftens.  If you still have trouble, I'll post a decklist.

As for getting into paper Magic, I'd recommend looking for some local sealed deck tournaments.  That way you can start playing some fun games right away without having to amass a collection, you have the chance to win prizes, and you get to keep the same cards you would have ended up with if you had just purchased packs and opened them.

@killa: It's 75% of what I see on iPad. It's all I saw at the beginning when I was high up on the boards. It's all I see now, now that I've uninstalled/deleted the game (in an effort to unglitch Gamecenter achievements).

It's not a problem with the game per se (other than the fact that this deck made it through testing), it's just a problem with people in general. Wanting to take the path of least resistance/win at any cost. I mean if these Goblins players (and to a lesser degree, OD players) want to spam the same deck over and over, that's on them. I can't speak to the skill level of these types, but I'm pretty certain they're not getting any better.

Also: just take a look at the steam tourneys. No offense to this guy, and whatever if he takes offense, but he won the 2nd tourney playing Goblins. He's playing Goblins in the 3rd tourney. He's running a 95% of the time 7 mana Raging Goblin in his deck (Chancellor of the Forge) and still tearing up the tourney. Call me a magic hipster if you want, but it saddens me that a non-optimal build can still roll the field most of the time.

Also: just take a look at the steam tourneys. No offense to this guy, and whatever if he takes offense, but he won the 2nd tourney playing Goblins. He's playing Goblins in the 3rd tourney. He's running a 95% of the time 7 mana Raging Goblin in his deck (Chancellor of the Forge) and still tearing up the tourney. Call me a magic hipster if you want, but it saddens me that a non-optimal build can still roll the field most of the time.

It's really a 95% of the time 0 mana, raging goblin and a 5% of the time hasted krenko (and technically if we're debiting the card for the raging goblin, the hasted krenko for 7 is 0 cards).  There's better options, but it's not *that* bad (I'd rate it slightly ahead of the raging goblin themselves and they see play in some folks decks).
I'm just rating it by the standards of IRL magic, where the Goblin decks of today (talking about Standard) are nowhere near the quaility of what we have access to in Duels (arguably), and nobody is even giving any consideration to the card, other than considering it's terrible.

Just my opinion. and the opinion of Magic pros (whom I tend to listen to). If you want to run it, that's cool. But to the general Magic brain trust, it's mind-boggling that an aggro deck running 7 mana cards can still consistently do so good. That's Duels for you.
You may have to unlock some cards, but Chandra's deck is really good against Krenko. Rain of Embers, Flamebreak, Flames of the Firebrand, and heck, even Chandra's Fury will sweep his side and give you card advantage. Finish up with Obsidian Fireheart, Hostility, or Inferno Titan and the match should be yours easily.

The key to beating Krenko is learning how to play control (especially on Revenge mode).  

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

You may have to unlock some cards, but Chandra's deck is really good against Krenko. Rain of Embers, Flamebreak, Flames of the Firebrand, and heck, even Chandra's Fury will sweep his side and give you card advantage. Finish up with Obsidian Fireheart, Hostility, or Inferno Titan and the match should be yours easily.

The key to beating Krenko is learning how to play control (especially on Revenge mode).  

Lots of good advices here, thanks a lot guys, megamaster125 I'm gonna try your technique.

Thanks again! 

Atlernatively, many decks have mass removal. The LifeDeck has Day of Judgment for four mana that clears his whole army. Liliana has Infest and cards like Mutilate. Exalted darkness has many cards which render goblin numbers obsolete (Silent Arbiter, No Mercy, Worship. If Goblins gets a good draw in 1v1 its extremely difficult for a lot of decks to match them.

Liliana has great answers for goblins. If you want to list your deck and tell us what you are running many of us will be happy to give you some suggestions!

+1.... if you can pull the 4 cost Silent Arbiter.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

Mastergear_Owen's take on Magic 2014 Campaign.

Show
You know what I've got more issues. Whats up with the story in this game? The adverts said I was going to team up with Chandra and we were going to kick butt and chew bubblegum across the planes on a revenge campaign against some... guy she knew I guess? Who's Ramaz anyway? What do I get instead? I beat Chandra like 2 minutes in with a mono-green stompy thing Garruk gave me (why does he keep giving all these new planeswalkers his deck) and then I spent like 5 hours jumping from plane to plane picking up random nicknacks for her mantlepiece while she sits back back doing her nails or something. I was thrown in jail! I got hit by a Roil Storm twice! Do you know how many rats are on Ravnica, Chandra? All of them! All of the rats! All of the rats eating me!

Then we go kick her Ex's bearded-screaming-butt and what does she do to help? Nothing! She throws of the occasional fire ball and spends her time trying not to freeze to death. You should have worn pants Chandra. While we're on the subject what happened to your shoes? You had like Steelies on. Steelies are cool. Now your running around with stupid boots with like 5-inch heels? Thats not appropriate footware for Planeswalking! That's not appropriate footware for normal walking! At least Liliana is doing it for the whole 'evil is sexy' thing and can summon undead to carry her when she breaks her ankle. What are you going to do ride a Phoenix? Its made of fire! You'll fall right through! Man I should have gone Planeswalking with Liliana - yeah she'd crack my head open with a rock 5 minutes in and raise my corpse to serve her but at least we could have gone dancing!

Now with more original content and open bar!

https://www.youtube.com/user/thedevilwuster

Argh I'm so f***ing sick of goblins they multiply like cockroaches, can't do anything to stop it fast enough. Makes me want to throw my keyboard away....
And I didn't get any mana for a while so couldn't cast anything...

Dead again
I wouldn't throw your keyboard, but I would definitely throw Phage the Untouchable and Xathrid Gorgon back into your sideboard.
I guess you're right
Keld - build your list just to beat goblins, remove most of the high mana cost cards and play bas cards like blister beetle. maybe post your list and how many cards you have unlocked and we can give you the best build vs goblins?
Are you playing Regular Krenko or Revenge Krenko? Either way, try this:

Celestial Light:

0 (0): None

1 (7): 1x Basilisk Collar, 4x Soul Warden, 2x Swords to Plowshares

2 (10): 4x Ajani's Pridemate, 2x Ajani's Sunstriker, 2x Knight of Meadowgrain, 2x Moment of Heroism

3 (8): 3x Kemba's Skyguard, 1x Loxodon Warhammer, 2x Recumbent Bliss, 2x White Sun's Zenith

4 (7): 2x Chastise, 2x Day of Judgment, 1x Marshal's Anthem, 1x Rhox Faithmender, 1x Well of Lost Dreams

5 (2): 2x Baneslayer Angel

6+ (1): 1x Felidar Sovereign

If you're still trying to unlock cards, this is how I did it:

Pack Instinct: vs. Encounter: Cult of Flame
Obedient Dead, Ancient Wilds, Crosswinds, Celestial Light: vs. Garruk
Dream Puppets, Goblin Gangland, Peacekeepers, Exalted Darkness, Born of Flame: vs. Jace (1st time).

I did it all on Mage difficulty. It's not called a grind for nothing...
Are you playing Regular Krenko or Revenge Krenko? Either way, try this:

Celestial Light:

0 (0): None

1 (7): 1x Basilisk Collar, 4x Soul Warden, 2x Swords to Plowshares

2 (10): 4x Ajani's Pridemate, 2x Ajani's Sunstriker, 2x Knight of Meadowgrain, 2x Moment of Heroism

3 (8): 3x Kemba's Skyguard, 1x Loxodon Warhammer, 2x Recumbent Bliss, 2x White Sun's Zenith

4 (7): 2x Chastise, 2x Day of Judgment, 1x Marshal's Anthem, 1x Rhox Faithmender, 1x Well of Lost Dreams

5 (2): 2x Baneslayer Angel

6+ (1): 1x Felidar Sovereign

If you're still trying to unlock cards, this is how I did it:

Pack Instinct: vs. Encounter: Cult of Flame
Obedient Dead, Ancient Wilds, Crosswinds, Celestial Light: vs. Garruk
Dream Puppets, Goblin Gangland, Peacekeepers, Exalted Darkness, Born of Flame: vs. Jace (1st time).

I did it all on Mage difficulty. It's not called a grind for nothing...

I don't have Celestial Light deck unlocked yet and yes I'm playing on mage.
I don't think I have enough unlocked cards  with Obedient Dead, 10 are unlocked, 30 are locked, and this deck only has 25 mana, kind of lame IMO to play agaisnt Garruk, need more, or more lower cards which I don't have...
How do I get more because I played with Born of flame all the way to Garruk, do I have to replay against previous characters to get more cards? 
WOOHOOO finally got him with Bloodhunter Bats, I had two so I got +4 in life and -4 for him, then I kept attacking him every turn with both bats that he couldn't block and finally his life went to down to 0.
It was close thought because one more turn and I was dead, one of his goblin had +6/+4 counter so I wouldn't have been dead next turn. 
Everytime you win a game with a deck, you unlock a card for that deck. So win 30 games using a deck, and you'll have everything unlocked.

Duels of the Planeswalkers deck builds and analysis: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/dotp

Another one of my websites: http://megamaster125.angelfire.com/rationalchristianity/

I am Blue/White

Thanks again! 

+1.... if you can pull the 4 cost Silent Arbiter.

You have two arbiters, one worship and one no mercy and one diabolical tutor so essentially 5 cards out of a 60 card deck which means  a 1/12 chance of drawing any of them drawing one card and you start with 7 cards and can mulligan. The chance of getting one out at 4 land is EXTREMELY good in this game.