MOCS Season 8 Legacy IS WAY TOO EXPENSIVE for anyone to enter and not fair to ppl who grinded!

32 posts / 0 new
Last post
plz allow people who qualified for this event to play with phantom cards and build whatever they want for this event

Force of will costs 130 tickets

many decks use 4 of these thats over 500 dollars for just a playset to play in legacy

now ur thinking well theres gotta be a budget legacy deck

no i just looked up dredge the cards in that deck like lions eye diamond thats 100 tickets too 400 dollars for a playset

an than i looked at other budget decks like maverick an stuff WASTELAND cost 40 tickets this is outrageous compete with these people

PLZ make MOCS constructed events that need qulaifications PHANTOM and be able to use any card they wish to prove they are the best players of that field

if u limit it to u need to buy all these cards ur ognnag et not the best player the players who have the most money an can afford 4 force of wills and others who are playing scrubby decks an just dying to rich people

I think u should def make an execption to these qualified MOCS constructed events

u made the sealed draft events phantom PLZ make Legacy Phantom also dont constrict us plz there is no budget deck i can build at legacy price range i have 35 qp's 2 byes an i cannot afford 500 dollars for a play set of cards to play it in PLZ Look into this wotc soon 
Ok I know you're the resident, um, well, I won't use the term...around here, but really?  You're going to complain about this?  The MOCS format is different every time, and some of them are much more expensive to play than others.  Get over it.

Also, if you want to play this event, it's not like you have to invest $500+ PERMANENTLY on FoWs.  Buy them, play the event, and resell them.  Sure, you'll probably lose a couple of dollars (or whatever your currency is) on it, but it's not like you'd actually be permanently spending $500 unless you decide to keep the FoWs long term.

Finally, it'd be nice if you eventually learned to speak English in a vaguely coherent manner.  I understand that it may not be your first language, but really, "ognnag" just isn't a word in this language. 
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
There are some decent budget legacy decks.

Are they Tier 1? Maybe not. But they do have a decent chance.

Stuff like Burn, mono color aggro. Anything not blue, lol.
Making sure I got this right, that the Season championship is Legacy.  Not the qualifiers, but the actual championsip.

If so, this is kinda embarrassing, but, hmmm, ya know...

PX does not have that bad an idea.

Why not have it be phantom cradz?  I asume folks who qualify for MOCS Championship had to put some effort and cash into the act of qualifying?

Exactly who would it hurt?

Would it make for a level playing field?

Should the championship be determined by biggest bank roll or by play skill?

Just some thoughts.
Thank you, Erik.
I can agree on Fow being too expensive. I bought mine a year ago or more for 125. Then they fell to under 100 and it's not until now that they are back up to and over my buying price.
But I don't really care about me losing value on it. I just want people to play Legacy and classic after the Mocs.

So there needs to be something done to increase the availability of Fow on Mtgo. (Like alternate art Fow as Mocs participation price).
But thats not what I wanted to say here...

If they decided to use phantom cards here they would have to allow phantom cards in alla mocs from here on.

The argument that you have for Fow and Wasteland holds for Bonfire or Geist or any other pricey card in standard and Modern.

Anything but nuts is crazy. - We need moar command helemet!

Get the prize winning Gold Skin for your v3 client while it's still here!

Great example of why I said it was so horrible that they got rid of the opt outs. Awful
Surely someone who is good enough/has played enough/has spent enough to get 35 qps must have cards/packs they could sell to at least get one of the cheaper tier 1 decks. mtgo buy/sell prices are fairly close so you could probably just buy it all back afterwards without losing too much money.

But I think bringing back opt-outs would be better than phantom constructed events.

I've bought the cards and made a deck Now how do I win at this?

This is on in what, 31 hours and there is currently 57 people signed up. Is that really low or do many people not join until just before it starts?
Others should comments as I don't play moxes and could be wrong but the first two or so were filled so fast that people could not join anymore. There were over a 1000 people sgined after a few days.

This makes me believe that this mox is extremly underwhelming. 

I recently came back to MTGO for the M13 release. I have done well, and I was excited for the MOCS... until I looked up the format. I won't be entering.

Also, to reiterate what some other posters have said, bring back the opt out! I was fine with opting out of this one... until I looked up that I couldn't.

The format was known ahead of time and I don't think one MOCS a year is unreasonable.

Magic and Magic Online Volunteer Community Lead.

I'm trying to make my official VCL posts in purple.

You posted saying my thread was moved/locked but nothing happened.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Yes, the Shuffler is Random!
The definitive thread on the Magic Online shuffler.

Magic Math Made Easy
Draw probabilities, Swiss results, Elo ratings and booster EV

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Thanks to PhoenixLAU for the [thread=1097559]awesome avatar[/thread]!
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
Yep, there's 1 or 2 people who lobbied for a legacy MOCS, so they got their wish.  Legacy daily events have been firing, though that probably won't last after the MOCS is over, but we'll have to wait and see.  Either way, a few people got what they wanted, everyone else will have to sit this MOCS out or just play some pathetically disadvantaged deck.  But the silver lining is that anyone really great is too busy playing in the World Cup to bother with MOCS, so the timing is perfect.  This MOCS is like a premiere event for legacy players, except with 10x prize support.  That's awfully generous.  If 300 people compete in this MOCS with pretty good decks, thne I would consider it a success.  If under 225 show-up, or if a lot of the decks are budget decks, then I would consider it a failed experiment.

Also, if you want to play this event, it's not like you have to invest $500+ PERMANENTLY on FoWs.  Buy them, play the event, and resell them.  Sure, you'll probably lose a couple of dollars (or whatever your currency is) on it, but it's not like you'd actually be permanently spending $500 unless you decide to keep the FoWs long term.

I semi-agree, but then I don't.  Though this logic works 99% of the time, the price of FoW has gone up ridiculously due to the impending MOCS, and it's probably going to return to normal after it's over.  Some people are going to take a 40-ticket loss per FoW that they rent.

Making sure I got this right, that the Season championship is Legacy.  Not the qualifiers, but the actual championsip.

If so, this is kinda embarrassing, but, hmmm, ya know...

PX does not have that bad an idea.

Why not have it be phantom cradz?  I asume folks who qualify for MOCS Championship had to put some effort and cash into the act of qualifying?

Exactly who would it hurt?

Would it make for a level playing field?

Should the championship be determined by biggest bank roll or by play skill?

Just some thoughts.

I agree with you.  A MOCS shouldn't be determined by who was willing to spend $1200, it should be according to who is best.

Oh good, it's not just me who was shocked from thinking that ProtossX has an actual agreeable idea.
Maybe someone has a better memory than me, but has "pay players to play the format" EVER worked?  Seems like it's just one step closer to "cancel all support for the format".

Or in other words, giving the few fans of Legacy some free prizes at the expense of the rest of the players won't really accomplish much for either group.  I'm not opposed to Legacy getting "serious" prize support, but the MOCS is absolutely not the right place to do it.
I think bubba has the best point in support of my stated position:  the format for this event was known in advance, and it would have been entirely reasonable to buy your FoWs a month ago when the price was lower.  Worst case, if you didn't qualify, you could then make a profit anyway by selling them at the higher price.  I know, hindsight is 20/20 and all that, but for those who "grind" their way into MOCS every month, it's not like it was hard to predict.  (Note that I neither play legacy nor have enough time/money to qualify [3 qps so far this season], so I really have no horse in this race - I'm just commenting based on what seems reasonable to me.)
Mountain bikes are for slow people, and geckos are far better pets than cats & dogs! :D Officially licensed user of the term "GrammarChaos" (Thanks Tempesteye!) MPDC Season 3 Champion
So, because the format was known a month in advance, that means I can easily shell out the $400 for four forces instead of the $500 a few weeks later...NO, that is NOT entirely reasonable. YOU might have that money to throw around on virtual cards, SOME of us don't. Again, opt out would have been a perfect solution here.
So, because the format was known a month in advance, that means I can easily shell out the $400 for four forces instead of the $500 a few weeks later...NO, that is NOT entirely reasonable. YOU might have that money to throw around on virtual cards, SOME of us don't. Again, opt out would have been a perfect solution here.

It was known ahead of time and it is one season out of 12. Have some perspective.

Show
Unfortunately, VCLs do not currently have the tools necessary to take moderation actions directly. VCLs submit their actions to ORCs, who then actually perform the action. This processing can take between a few minutes and several hours, depending on how busy/attentive the ORCs are.

If you see something that needs VCL attention, please use this thread to make a request and a VCL will look at it as soon as possible. CoC violations should be reported to Customer Service using the "report post" button. Please do not disrupt the thread by making requests of either kind in-thread.

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator
Calculate the EV for any event with a fixed number of rounds and prizes based on record

Dual means two. A duel is a battle between two people. Lands that make two colors of mana are dual lands. A normal Magic battle is a duel.
Quotables

Show
"While a picture is worth a thousand words, each lolcat actually produces a negative wordcount." -Ith "I think "Highly Informed Sarcasm" should be our Magic Online General motto." -Ith "Sorry, but this thread seems just like spam. TT is for off-topic discussion, not no-topic discussion." -WizO_Kwai_Chang "Stop that! If you're not careful, rational thinking may catch on!" -Sax "... the only word i see that fits is incompitant." -Mr44 (sic) "You know a thread is gonna be locked when it gets to the hexadecimal stage." -Gathion "It's a good gig" - Gleemax "I tell people often, if you guys want to rant, you've certainly got the right to (provided you obey CoC/ToS stuff), and I don't even really blame you. But if you see something you think needs changing a well thought-out, constructive post does more to make that happen." - Worth Wollpert
You'll get no argument from me on the opt-out.  That's obviously the best solution for the playerbase.  That said, if you were interested in playing legacy, you had plenty of time to acquire the cards.

I don't have that much money to just "throw around," but:

a) I don't consider it "throwing it around" when it's something where you'll either break even or make a profit in 1 month's time.

and

b) that's not even the point - it's *one* MOCS out of many, and sure, it's harder to build a deck for it, but you're basically trying to deadline a format because it happens to require a significant investment in order to play, which, IMO, does not make sense.
For me personally, Bubba, I am fine with them doing this format for one of the 12. I didn't try to get enough QPs specifically for MOCS I just happened to through my normal play. What really surprised me though, and what you have failed to respond to, is that we can no longer opt out of it. Again, I have been away for awhile and this change may have happened a year ago or more, I do not know. If you or someone else could shed some light as to when and why that change was made I would appreciate it. During my own (albeit limited) searching I was only able to figure out that we can no longer do it.
For me personally, Bubba, I am fine with them doing this format for one of the 12. I didn't try to get enough QPs specifically for MOCS I just happened to through my normal play. What really surprised me though, and what you have failed to respond to, is that we can no longer opt out of it. Again, I have been away for awhile and this change may have happened a year ago or more, I do not know. If you or someone else could shed some light as to when and why that change was made I would appreciate it. During my own (albeit limited) searching I was only able to figure out that we can no longer do it.

I'm not interested in rehashing the opt-out argument from December. I personally would like the option, but I have no problem with its removal.

Show

General MTGO FAQ

Magic Math Made Easy

Event EV Calculator

Quotables

Show

It was known ahead of time and it is one season out of 12. Have some perspective.

Does 1 out of 12 tournament player play Legacy already?  I'm pretty sure they don't, or the tournaments wouldn't be struggling so badly.

Once again, giving Legacy more prizes is fine, but the format should in no way be part of the MOCS until it is big enough to actually influence things. 
What precisely do you see as the point of the mocs? personally I always thought that garnering interest in formats should be one of the goals if it wasn't already.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
What precisely do you see as the point of the mocs? personally I always thought that garnering interest in formats should be one of the goals if it wasn't already.

The positive goal:  A high-level tournament to determine the best MTGO tournament player of the year.

The WotC secret goal:  A way to lower prize payouts by replacing packs won with MOCS points, which do not come out of the bottom line*.

There are plenty of other noble goals that could be aided through customized tournaments (such as garnering interest, encouraging new players, moving a specific product, etc.), but the right answer is more customized tournaments, not to smash all of these into one.

*Not that packs won do, but for some reason this is how Wizards thinks.  
Im all for them doing whatever formats they want for the championships. I just want an opt out for people who dont want to play in the event or cant devote 15 hours to play on that day etc.
Im all for them doing whatever formats they want for the championships. I just want an opt out for people who dont want to play in the event or cant devote 15 hours to play on that day etc.

Tell me about it.... I have been waiting for the legacy MOCS all year... but then I found out i had a family commitment yesterday so I didn't  even bother trying to qualify. such a bummer. I may have played more if the Promo card was worth anything... but I used to always try and qualify if I was close just for the 6 packs.
Calavera on MTGO I collect Zendikar Foil Basic lands. Trade me yours! Things that I want to see changed on MTGO: 1: 64 man drafts added to rotation of Events. 2: Visual/Audible Notification of disconnect, deckbuild/afk time expiring and round starts. 3: Prize Payouts as close to draft sets as possible. 4: Rotate Classic draft queues monthly! 5: MOCS level events for Classic/Pauper 6: Power 9! 7: Award Promo Cards for Constructed PEs (esp for Legacy/Classic) 8: Program Split option back in! 9: Set Favorite version in deck editor (i.e. always use x swamp) 10: Better sorting of gold cards in deck editor. 11: Bring leagues Back!
I actually think Legacy should be an MOCS format....however I find myself basically taking a month off of the game everytime there's a MOCS that I cannot compete in due to either a conflict in schedule or not having a competitive deck for the format.  That never was the case when there was the option to opt out and receive 6 packs.  Wizards taking away the opt outs and making limited events phantom events was just greedy on their part, and it was a cost-cutting move that targeted their most loyal (and what should be valued) customers.  
353 ppl still consider it fail and absurd?? i call it magnifficent success and great decision made legacy healthy again great job wotc!
I actually think Legacy should be an MOCS format....however I find myself basically taking a month off of the game everytime there's a MOCS that I cannot compete in due to either a conflict in schedule or not having a competitive deck for the format.  That never was the case when there was the option to opt out and receive 6 packs.  Wizards taking away the opt outs and making limited events phantom events was just greedy on their part, and it was a cost-cutting move that targeted their most loyal (and what should be valued) customers.  

Agreed.  Just sticking it to the customer once again.
353 ppl still consider it fail and absurd?? i call it magnifficent success and great decision made legacy healthy again great job wotc!

It would be interesting to see what percentage of the decks played were actual legacy decks and what percentage were just modern decks, lol.
i just played 60 land and dropped for the promo.

I thought 60 land was a deck in legacy?

:D

You do realize that you get the promo regardless of whether or not you actually enter the event?  The promo is always distributed to you on the Wednesday before the MOCS event even starts.  All you did was give some lucky guy a free bye.