Bonfire of the Damned Question

4 posts / 0 new
Last post
Just came back to Magic recently, have a question about Bonfire of the damned and its interaction with Planeswalkers.  I recently played this spell for X=3, and wanted to kill all of his 3 toughness creatures, as well as redirect the damage to his Planeswalker.  I was told that if I targeted the planeswalker, since the planeswalker controls no creatures, his creatures would not take damage, wtf?

"Bonfire of the Damned deals X damage to target player and each creature he or she controls"

You were told wrong. 

You target your opponent, not his planeswalker. Then, as the bonfire resolves, you choose to redirect the 3 damage which would have been done to your opponent to his planeswalker instead. The chosen planeswalker takes 3 damage, and each of your opponent's creatures also take 3 damage. The opponent himself takes no damage.
Bonfire of the Damned can't target Planeswalker
but if you choose to redirect the damage from your opponent to his Planeswalker his creatures will still be dealt damage
proud member of the 2011 community team
You can always redirect noncombat damage to a planewalker an opponent controls. It doesn't target. You announce it at the moment damage is dealt (that is when spell or ability resolves).