Growth Hormone Deck

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hey guys, this is a deck idea I've had in the past but pulled apart. I have all of these cards and dont see why they shouldn't be in a deck. I want to base this on ever expanding creatures and maybe a bit of global burn (that I also have surplus). This will be Red/Green

Just throwing out random cards...

Taurean Mauler 
Forgotten Ancient
Rockslide Elemental (been seeing lots of graveyard decks lately hehe)
Scute Mob
War Elemental

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head. Are there more fellas like that? There is Arcbound Crusher and other artifact things but that doesn't help.

Add in some direct damage like

Earthquake, Fault Line or Squall Line as board clearers while keeping my stuff alive.

Maybe some ways to get damage through like

Fling
Surestrike Trident  
Nemesis Mask 

I wish there was a way to give something modular. So far there's a nice low mana curve.

Just quickly thinking out loud here. Got any ideas?
Predator Ooze is a favorite of mine. He's very hard to remove and tends to grow out of control fairly quickly. You'll also want Kessig Wolf Run in the deck to give creatures Trample and to turn your weak dudes into powerful late-game draws. The creatures all grow big over time, but you're vulnerable to attacks from big threats if your early creatures all get killed off. Rancor CAN work, but it usually just forces a removal spell so eh. Not the best. Arena is another good land to have a 1-of, since you typically have some nice threats to fight with. Multani, Maro-Sorcerer, Dirtcowl Wurm and Lumberknot are all solid finishers (Multani is much better obviously), but so are cards such as Dragon Broodmother, Predatory Advantage, Dragonlair Spider and Verdant Force. I'm also a big fan of Mass Mutiny and Insurrection.

Beyond that, you just need ways to draw cards mostly. Genesis, Triumph of Ferocity, Soul of the Harvest, Harmonize, Momentous Fall, Browbeat (won't work for everyone, but it's awesome if you can push it through) and Staff of Nin all come to mind, but you can also do dirty things with Lurking Predators. Creature-based decks typically need a bunch of draw in them to fight off removal and such, so you kinda want 6 or so cards that will give the deck some legs.
My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
If you wanted to go really nuts with counter generation, you could add Contagion Engine
Just what I was looking for. Thanks!

62 Cards

I would like to add 2-4 Fling but not sure how to make room just yet. 

(14) 3 mana Creatures
(12) 4 mana Creatures
(2)   6 mana Creatures

Any suggestions?
Wow Contagion Engine would work really good with Fungal Reaches too!

Baa! Here I am with too many cards again!! 
Global burn loves Rite of Passage. War Elemental and Predator Ooze in the same deck and not much in the way of mana fixers. I would War Elemental all together. Pyrohemia also seems like a good fit especially with Rite of Passage. WarMonger could also be interesting.
I dont know what you mean about mana fixers. What are they?

I also dont know what you mean when you say 'I would war elemental all together'.

Rite of Passage really fits the theme of this deck well! PS, is this +1/+1 for every damage or once per source of damage whether its 1 or 5?

The intent of the global burn in this deck is to allow me to do some low level board clearing without killing my own guys. Since I can choose X I can always keep my stuff alive and hopefully open sombody up. I definitely dont want this to be a 'burn deck'. Really I could remove them and add Fling, Contagion Engine, and/or Rite of Passage. I just thought it would be a good way to weed out some stuff and keep my advantage. Although Contagion Engine does that too.

I actually really like my deck list up there. It is really simple with lots of creatures and a good mana curve. With that being said Fling, Contagion Engine, and Rite of Passage are really awesome for this deck but I am not sure if I want to give anything up yet.

I guess I am at a crossroads here. Should I cut the global burn and add in those other things or just keep it simple?
I dont know what you mean about mana fixers. What are they?

Color fixers; stuff like Gruul Signet that adds Red or Green mana to your mana pool. He was highlighting the fact that your deck cannot reliably cast a Predatory Ooze nor War Elemental on turn 3. That's not too big of a deal though. Still, adding Rootbound Crag, Copperline Gorge and Gruul Turf to the deck couldn't hurt.

I also dont know what you mean when you say 'I would war elemental all together'.

He meant to say "I would remove war elemental all together."

Rite of Passage really fits the theme of this deck well! PS, is this +1/+1 for every damage or once per source of damage whether its 1 or 5?

Once per source. An Earthquake for 5 would add 1 counter. Every activation of Pyrohemia would also add one.

The intent of the global burn in this deck is to allow me to do some low level board clearing without killing my own guys. Since I can choose X I can always keep my stuff alive and hopefully open sombody up. I definitely dont want this to be a 'burn deck'. Really I could remove them and add Fling, Contagion Engine, and/or Rite of Passage. I just thought it would be a good way to weed out some stuff and keep my advantage. Although Contagion Engine does that too.

I guess I am at a crossroads here. Should I cut the global burn and add in those other things or just keep it simple?

Fling is very bad. Don't use it. Rite of Passage also seems infinitely worse than Doubling Season and I just plain don't like it very much. You don't need to occasionally make your creatures slightly bigger; they're already doing that themselves. The effect is too small and narrow to be worth adding. I wouldn't field it personally. Clasp is meh. I'd go with Contagion Engine if anything, just because that card can legit kill someone by nuking their team over time while pumping yours, but even then it's only "fine." If you like your current deck. play with it. See how it goes. You'll never find a perfect 60 so it's pointless to even try. You like what you see, so I think it's time to give it a whirl and see what happens. There's always next time if you feel like you want to change it up a bit. It's not like buying a few Clasps or w/e is going to cost you much of anything, so you're not exactly screwed if you don't wind up using them.

My guide to Black multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/18893722?sdb=1&post_num=1#322195706 My guide to Red multiplayer cards and strategies: http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/28999213/?sdb=1&post_num=1#517562879 My guide to White multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29011349/?sdb=1&pg=last#517773211 My guide to Green multiplayer cards and strategies http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75842/29034323/Tichs_Guide_to_Green_Multiplayer_Cards_and_Strategies
Man, your explanations are great. I feel like I am an apprentice that is being led away from my own mistakes lol. I feel like this is it. Speak up if you see any holes. If not I'm gonna give this a try.

I chose Fling over Momentous Fall only due to mana cost. The latter is better but I cant see myself sitting on 4 mana often but 2 seems playable. I took out Pyrohemia and War Elemental and put in Silklash Spider and Contagion Engine as a replacement for flying defense and board clearing.

62 Cards

Breakdown
(12) 3 mana Creatures
(12) 4 mana Creatures
(4)   5 Mana Creatures
(2)   6 mana Creatures
(8)   Sneeky-Sneeky
(18) Basic Lands 
(4)   Mana Battery/Fixer
(2)   Colorless

A solid answer to fliers is Silklash Spider. It has a huge ass so there's no need to worry about having it die to burn and it has a very powerful and repeatable effect. I don't mind Tornado Elemental either, but only as like a 1-of or whatever (2 tops). It's too expensive to rely on early on. I love me some Cloudthreshers too, especially since it's basically a removal spell and 7/7 beater if needed, but it can be kinda tough to cast in multicolor decks. Still, the card is a beast. Since I'm a fan of random 1-ofs when it comes to creatures, I would probably run 1 of each in a deck like this. You know, for value.

If I wanted to sac my creature irt removal, I would use Momentous Fall or something. Spite is good and all, but when I'm losing my board position then I don't really want direct damage, especially in multiplayer. Even if you do wound someone, it's not like you're suddenly in a good position to then win the game. You'll still need to draw into some more action, and that might be easier said then done. My answer to removal is typically card advantage and recursion, which is why Genesis and Yavimaya Hollow are in all of Green decks and why I'll always field 6 or so draw spells. It's also why I tend to use creatures such as Weatherseed Treefolk, Predatory Ooze, Spearbreaker Behemoth, Gaea's Revenge and other resilient and/or recursive threats. I don't like fighting removal card-for-card. It's a losing battle in multiplayer since you're going to be facing a lot of opponents, and most of them probably have more spot removal than they should. This is why I dislike aggro decks in general, but that's probably because I've always built them poorly in the past.
Thinking of swapping Rockslide Elemental for Primordial Hydra

I think Rockslide is the weakest in the deck.

I do hate how green this deck is getting though. 
You could try Ashling the Pilgrim, she gets bigger and can be turned into a board sweeper if needed. Molten Hydra is fun, much worse than Ashling, but fun.

Blood Hound could be an interesting rattlesnake especially with a dead Brawn if someone hits you- you will hit back.

Earthen Goo but it eats up your mana like crazy. Primordial Ooze is very similar. 

Slumbering Dragon would be neat- works well with the Contagion Engine and Forgotten Ancient*.

I think the sleepy dragon or Ashling would be the best replacements. You could also go with something like Birds of Paradise to help fix mana, Fellwar Stone for the much more budget friendly version or Utopia Tree. Birds works with Forgotten Ancient* to get some fliers in the deck.

*Of course, saying a card works with forgotten acient is like saying a card works with lands of the appropirate color.

Face it, you're pretty much here as a meat shield.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

Do you guys know of any green or red cards that make creatures flyers?

flying carpet, Eldrazi Monument, Akroma's Memorial is all I can think of. 

I would love to find something cheaper that isn't quite so grand. I just want me some flying.
Predator, Flagship. Terribly underrated, cheap and removal to boot.

Man, I should've come into this thread sooner.
I have to suggest Bramblewood Paragon and Rage Forger. Every other creature in your deck is smothered in +1/+1 counters, and those two dance with things like that.
~ Guides I Have Been Silly Enough To Write ~
Budget Duals and Fetches in Multiplayer
CadaverousBl00m's Guide To Multiplayer Artifice
Multiplayer Tribal Format

~ Latest Multiplayer Ramblings: Appearing on my blog when I feel like it ~
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Rise of the Eldrazi Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Worldwake Post-Rotation
Kitchen Table Pricewatch: Zendikar Post-Rotation
Previous Multiplayer Concoctions
Elemental, My Dear Watson (Rainbow Elementals)
Watch The Little Birdies! (Bird Tribal with Proliferate)
Kavu Kavu Kavu Banana (Kavu Predator aggro)
Faerie Bleeder (The "Death By A Thousand Cuts" Faerie deck)
Braaiiins! (Mono-black Zombie control)
Verhexterring (Jinxed Ring / Grave Pact)
Flourishing Blowflies ( -1/-1 Counters)
What do you guys think of 

Lumberknot
Rockslide Elemental

vs.

Primordial Hydra
War Elemental

in this deck?

I feel like the upper two are the weakest in the deck however will get stronger as the game goes on. But the overall potential isn't huge.

However the lower two will blow up (PH gradual but still fast enough to be huge). I know they will bring the hate but they would be great. I am leaning towards these. War Elemental wont instantly become a 50/50 like it does with multi burn but will all the growing creatures it will get big pretty quick and consistently. I see it a good match to PH.

Would shroud prevent my guys getting +1/+1 counters? if not-

Removing (2) Contagion Engine and inserting (2) Whispersilk Cloak. On any of them but mainly Primordial Hydra or War Elemental it's a game winner.
Alright, this is some drunken Magic posting. I'm reading with one eye closed because I can't adequately focus with both at once. But here's a secret: Rockslide Elemental and I have never been true friends. He's too aggressive. I met his buddy Algae Gharial this one time and he was okay. He was a lot more chill, like people could throw stuff at him and he wouldn't freak out about it.

Alright, okay, Lumberknot is generally better (if you plan to target your own dudes; reading this decklist was a long time ago for me); He's fine. But... Eh. He's probably the best of that lot. Maybe I'm overvaluing removal-resistance over eventual-hugeness. Really though, they all have good hugeness potential, but not all of them die to Doom Blade (or whatever targeted removal is getting played in your group).

This took a long time to post. I should... drink less.
I think you want to tweak the numbers on the basics. The change should probably be +2 forests, -2 mountaints or something close to that. You are pretty green heavy so I think you want to be heavier on the forests.

If you are at Georgian Court Univeristy or Monmouth Univeristy PM me. If you are out by York College of PA, I can help you reach the group there.

No love for Primordial Hydra?? Especially for a knock out with fling???

I am really starting to like the idea of slumbering dragon I dont know how I glassed over that before. And it will get me some red back in there.

61 Cards

I think this is pretty strong. I think the graveyard triggered cards were weak.

Right Direction?
I think you need to play some games. After that you can tweak the deck more to see what you want to change.