Which deity would you invoke for missing children?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Basically, I am looking for a deity that people would invoke to protect missing persons or help them find missing objects, a bit like Saint Anthony of Padua in the catholic church.

My idea is that my players will investigate a necromancer from times past and, near his family holdings, they will stumble of a forgotten shrine long ago risen in honor of this deity to ask her to protect and return their missing children (the necromancer kidnapped them and used them as guinea pig while researching the path to lichdom...).

Later, I plan to introduce a tree in the temple of this deity, the branch of which people will tie small prayers for the return of loved ones and the like... Basically, for the players, it should end up working like the local missing persons file...

Anyway, I was wondering which deity was the most likely to be cast in this role (I guess that many people would just stick to their usual deity, but in my setting, people tend to worship all good gods to some extent, and do not hesitate to address directly the one that tradition helds as the most suitable for the job at hand...). Right now, I am thinking more of Tymora, but what do you guys think?

Thanks bunches for any suggestion!   
Chautea to locate

Torm to protect

a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
Tymora for a bit of luck... (EDIT: nevermind, I posted this before your edit)
I would suggest Red Knight for strategy and a plan to find the missing children. Also Helm, so that the missing will be watched over and protected until they can be found.

Interesting campaign idea you have there, Olween. Please let us know how it goes.
Chautea to locate Torm to protect  

Is Chautea generally involved in finding stuff, though? I thought she was pretty exclusively an agricultural deity...

Tymora for a bit of luck... (EDIT: nevermind, I posted this before your edit)

Yeah, so far, that's kinda my guess...

I would suggest Red Knight for strategy and a plan to find the missing children. Also Helm, so that the missing will be watched over and protected until they can be found.
Interesting campaign idea you have there, Olween. Please let us know how it goes.

Thanks. I am not sure how far it will go, in fact. As I had written it, the players would stumble on the necromancer's hideout and discover him long dead, having failed his quest for lichdom...
A bit anti-climactic, really, but at least, it should confound their expectations... I might change it if the players just seem eager to get a go at the evil bastich...

Thanks for your suggestion, too, but I think they might be a bit too martial.
Basically, I want to give a feeling of poor humble people with no other recourses but praying to the Gods. They don't want justice or anything grandiose, just that somebody brings them their children back or take care of them...

I am also thinking about Savras, the dead god of the diviners.

He is dead now, but the children's disparition was long ago (and for the tree... Meh, traditions are long lived, sometime longer lived than divinities themselves... It would actually be kinda cool for people to still be using the tree in the courtyard of the abandonned temple). Plus, I can hapilly play fast and lose with the setting when needs be. I'd rather be true, of course, but if overlooking a point of canon makes for a cooler story...
I'd rather be true, of course, but if overlooking a point of canon makes for a cooler story...

Quoted For Truth.

Yours is something that ought to be printed page 1 of the 5E Forgotten Realms book.

they combined her with yondalla in 4e...

yondalla was motherhood.....

so its more or less to keep the child safe until found

ummm nevermind...   

yeah beets me to how they cdreamt that one up...    
a mask everyone has at least two of, one they wear in public and another they wear in private.....
I'd rather be true, of course, but if overlooking a point of canon makes for a cooler story...

Quoted For Truth.

Yours is something that ought to be printed page 1 of the 5E Forgotten Realms book.

Well, "you have to make the game your own, right?

they combined her with yondalla in 4e...

yondalla was motherhood.....

so its more or less to keep the child safe until found

ummm nevermind...   

yeah beets me to how they cdreamt that one up...    

Hooo, cool, I wasn't aware of that, thanks!

Well, I guess it comes from Yondalla being an agrarian deity and a provider of food... 

Personally, I would have taken a page from Eberron and made the halfling Godess one of hospitality, inns and taverns and feasts... 

Right now, I am indeed torn between Yondalla and Tymora...

Maybe I'll go for Tymora in the big city and Yondalla in the small village...      
Chauntea.

In 2E, Chauntea claimed responsibility for the children - particularly the orphans - of Zhentil Keep and was able to spirit them off before the 'Keep was sacked in the aftermath of the Cyrinishad incident. The other deities did not challenge her claim.
Cheers Imruphel aka Scrivener of Doom
Selune.  Questers, seekers, walkers in the night.  Navigation, fortune telling, a guide back home or to the morning light.

Now subjectively I may be very biased......but objectively I think she's a pretty good option besides.  I'd have to admit Torm (i.e., the justice, duty, law angle) can work too, and Helm was said to have a soft spot for children.  Kelemvor could certainly stand in as well, what with the evil necromancer's involvement.  (The latter two deities depends on your campaign & timeline.)

In general, though, Selune.  

Edit: Woops, you said no on the justice angle.
Well, if it's out in the countryside, then Mielikki, or better yet Gwaeron would be pretty good choices, with that whole ranger/tracker angle.

Urban areas... Amuanator perhaps to illuminate the way to the missing children, and I don't recall him being too fond of undead in the first place, at least back in 2e.  Lathander might be a better choice, but if you're planning on incorporating the supposed effects of the Sundering, that could work too really.

But overall, I'm going to have to agree with marius4 and say Selune was the most solid choice.

"Be careful to choose your enemies well.  Friends don't much matter.  But the choice of enemies is very important."  

- Oscar Wilde

Depends on region and the people invovled. Certain Gods are more popular in some places then in others and the Parents may have a Patron God, who they turn to when in need even if his or her portofilio doesn't match childern.

More importantly is the Clerics called in who will call upon thier own Gods.