New 3.5 player

5 posts / 0 new
Last post
Hi, I just want to get some advice on introducing 3.5 to a new player. I think he's played fantasy video games, like Skyrim, etc so he probably won't have problems with concepts. It's just the mechanics he might trip up on. Specifically, how d20 differs from Elder Scrolls, and Diablo, and Final Fantasy, etc... and not just video games to pen-and-paper games. 

This campaign is, basically, Baldur's Gate (the original PC one) in 3.5 but also pen-and-paper, so it's much more expansive than the pc game. They focused pretty much solely on combat in that, interrupted with a whole bunch of dialogue. I mean yeah, there's a plot, but the focus is hack and slash. Which is fine for my group. 

Candlekeep is good, though: it offers tasks for npcs, and one-on-one combat, and then group combat (assuming you follow a particular path in the quests). Plenty of opportunity; I'm just wondering how I should go about introducing him to the rules, is all. I've wrote down where he can get the PHB online and I have a spare hardcopy anyway. 

I'll just be using the standard cosmology, spells, feats, etc from the core books, because there's a LOT of options in FR, it's mind-boggling and I want to get started quick-ish. 

Don't know whether I'll use characters like Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Edwin, Garrick, all those ones... or just make up new ones (rolled some up already, though). My regulars would probably not find that fun. New guy, probably doesn't know these characters anyway. Must ask.
Hi, I just want to get some advice on introducing 3.5 to a new player. I think he's played fantasy video games, like Skyrim, etc so he probably won't have problems with concepts. It's just the mechanics he might trip up on. Specifically, how d20 differs from Elder Scrolls, and Diablo, and Final Fantasy, etc... and not just video games to pen-and-paper games. 

This campaign is, basically, Baldur's Gate (the original PC one) in 3.5 but also pen-and-paper, so it's much more expansive than the pc game. They focused pretty much solely on combat in that, interrupted with a whole bunch of dialogue. I mean yeah, there's a plot, but the focus is hack and slash. Which is fine for my group. 

Candlekeep is good, though: it offers tasks for npcs, and one-on-one combat, and then group combat (assuming you follow a particular path in the quests). Plenty of opportunity; I'm just wondering how I should go about introducing him to the rules, is all. I've wrote down where he can get the PHB online and I have a spare hardcopy anyway. 

I'll just be using the standard cosmology, spells, feats, etc from the core books, because there's a LOT of options in FR, it's mind-boggling and I want to get started quick-ish. 

Don't know whether I'll use characters like Imoen, Jaheira, Khalid, Minsc, Edwin, Garrick, all those ones... or just make up new ones (rolled some up already, though). My regulars would probably not find that fun. New guy, probably doesn't know these characters anyway. Must ask.

if all of the members of the party are new in the rules first use predefined characters

to become accustomed to the rules of fight and interaction with NPCs and then since they are accustomed to the rules of attack,attacks of opportunity , grapples, save spells, prepare spells, cast spells, ready action, delay action, bluff NPC use sense motive, use tumble, use climb, etc.

the basic rules.

then it goes into the character creation rules so will have an idea to they want to be reviewing predefined characters and npc enemies.
Pepe pecas pica papas con un pico con un pico pepe pecas pica papas si pepe pecas pica papas con un pico donde esta el pico con que pepe pecas pica papas.
Start at level 1 and explain the basic concept of roll 1d20 + mods. Hope its high. Help a lot with character creation and steer him away from trap options. 

"In a way, you are worse than Krusk"                               " As usual, Krusk comments with assuredness, but lacks the clarity and awareness of what he's talking about"

"Can't say enough how much I agree with Krusk"        "Wow, thank you very much"

"Your advice is the worst"                                                  "I'd recommend no one listed to Krusk's opinions about what games to play"

I'll agree that it is usually best to start a new player at first level even if you have some experienced players to help guide things along.

As for you choice to try running a campaign that follows the Baldur's Gate game (one of the best stories I've ever played through) I wish you the best of luck.  I don't know how you'll handle the whole "godspawn" issue but I know I've always wanted to convert many of its characters into 3.5 versions.
Yeah, the Bhaal-Spawn will have to be another-god-spawn. Erythnal Nerull seems appropriate as a Bhaal analogue. The two names could even be interchangable, maybe. 

I'll definitely give him a tutorial, I think. The training hall in Candlekeep is a good option, I'll start with either a handful of kobolds/goblins (xvart substitute) or a single hobgoblin, I reckon.
Sign In to post comments