Anyone foresee full art lands?

41 posts / 0 new
Last post
Does anyone foresee a return of full art lands in RtR or the 2013-14 block? They seem to be super popular and I know that they just came out in 2009 but I didnt start playing till 2011 and I would sure love for them to put out full art lands, I mean, RtR has the perfect art style to massively pull it off too.
unlikely
proud member of the 2011 community team
I know it's super unlikely since they did just come out 3 years ago,  but I can always hope :P
so far there have been 2 sets with full art lands: Unhinged and Zendikar
Unglued had sorta full art lands
as you can see 2 of those 3 sets are not even legal (the lands however are)

they want to keep those very rare
proud member of the 2011 community team
I would love full art Ravnica lands, especially if the artwork is like the original Ravnica lands, however i think it's very unlikely. I remember reading an article some time ago on Daily MTG by MaRo saying how they like to keep these things rare/special.

I'm guessing because we're going back to Ravnica (which lots of people want) they'll save the full art lands for another set/block.
I completely agree with you both, it would just be super cool. I would have rather them not have full art in Zendikar so that they could have for this one.

By the way, the original Ravnica lands are my all time favorite and thats why I'm having such wishfull thinking :P 
There's nothing special about Ravnica lands so no reason to make them full art.
What make Zendikar so special? I just think that the Ravnica art is ecspecially beautiful and would look super cool on full art cards.

What make Zendikar so special? I just think that the Ravnica art is ecspecially beautiful and would look super cool on full art cards.


Zendikar is special because its was the "lands" block, just like Scars was an "artifacts" block. What a better place to get special basic lands than the lands-are-special plane?

[<o>]
the fact that land played a huge role in that block...i would be happy with just a humble full art or two of the shocks...is that too much to ask?

What make Zendikar so special? I just think that the Ravnica art is ecspecially beautiful and would look super cool on full art cards.


Zendikar is special because its was the "lands" block, just like Scars was an "artifacts" block. What a better place to get special basic lands than the lands-are-special plane?




oooooh, that makes since, I never knew that. Thanks for enlightening me! 
On one hand, Zendikar is still a recent memory.

On the other, Ravnica lands look AMAZING, and full art Rav lands would be made of money.
On one hand, Zendikar is still a recent memory.

On the other, Ravnica lands look AMAZING, and full art Rav lands would be made of money.



Agreed!
I agree, the Ravnica lands had some of the best art, IMO. But they'll probubly save it for some special occasion or something >: (
Thank you Blitzschnell for the awesome banner!
Perhaps when they return to Zendikar.  Even then, I imagine they would only show up in the final set of that block, as the first blocks would be rebuilding after the Eldrazi and the last would be all "Yay, time to explore the beautiful land once more!"
Here's what I don't understand:


Why not just make all basic lands full art?  Basic lands get what is likely the best art in all of Magic, and yet with the new card frame the land art is overshadowed by how cheap and terrible the physical looks.  Honestly, I think an overwhelming portion of the Magic playing populace would rate Full art >>>> old frame lands >>>> new frame lands.


I really don't understand saving full art lands for a once in a blue moon type deal.  As long as they keep making good sets with popular cards, card sales are going to be high.  Wish they would benefit the players as a whole by giving them decent looking lands, rather than holding out full art lands for a once a decade sales gimmick.
Because they don't want to make it not special by making it a regular thing.
They don't want people to become accustomed to something so cool.
No, not unless they are thematic. Wotc isn't going to print them because they feel like it, they on;y want to print them when they would feel special.
True post count: 9,900 Thanks Wotc for not counting archived posts. If I post without capital letters than means I'm posting from my phone. For some reason it hates typing capital letters. Go_Texans on MTGO. Texans 12-4 Wildcard: W Texans 19 Bengals 13 Divisional: L Texans 28 Patriots 41 Another awesome season!
Because they don't want to make it not special by making it a regular thing.
They don't want people to become accustomed to something so cool.

This is my complaint against that policy:

They're lands! They're never going to be the center of your marketing strategy. They're never going to be the most memorable thing in a block. They exist solely to facilitate the playing of the game. Whether they're full art or not, their purpose is to slide under the radar.

Full-art lands aren't just "something cool". They're the natural next evolution for basic lands. First came the giant mana symbol in the text box; now, we just expand the art to take up the full frame. So what if it becomes "less special"? Honestly, if they're relying on full-art lands to market a block, that block must be terrible.
IMAGE(http://images.community.wizards.com/community.wizards.com/user/blitzschnell/c6f9e416e5e0e1f0a1e5c42b0c7b3e88.jpg?v=90000)
the Zendikar lands are some of the most memorable cards from that set
proud member of the 2011 community team
They're lands! They're never going to be the center of your marketing Strategy. They're never going to be the most memorable thing in a block. They exist solely to facilitate the playing of the game. Whether they're full art or not, their purpose is to slide under the radar.



The best part of Unglued, Unhinged, and Zendikar, imho, were the full art lands.  Easily.  I found Zendikar block overall rather boring, but the lands give me hope that if/when we return, I'll have something to look forward to.  Oh, and I guess more Eldrazi would be nice.
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
I found the full art lands of Zendikar really memorable and kicked myself when I didn't buy a fat pack to get them all.
Here's what I don't understand:


Why not just make all basic lands full art?  Basic lands get what is likely the best art in all of Magic, and yet with the new card frame the land art is overshadowed by how cheap and terrible the physical looks.  Honestly, I think an overwhelming portion of the Magic playing populace would rate Full art >>>> old frame lands >>>> new frame lands.


I really don't understand saving full art lands for a once in a blue moon type deal.  As long as they keep making good sets with popular cards, card sales are going to be high.  Wish they would benefit the players as a whole by giving them decent looking lands, rather than holding out full art lands for a once a decade sales gimmick.

I'm confident we'll get there eventually, just like (as for roughly the same reasons as) Core Sets are now printed with black borders. But I also don't see any reason for RTR to be the moment when they'll make the shift.
The reason we won't get full-art lands this block is because this block needs no extra hype. We all already loved ravnica, it had a cool art style/storyline/mechanics/characters going for it, and was one of the most positively rated sets ever RTR boxes are going to practically sell out. It's hyped, people are excited.

Full art lands exist for excitement. Zendy lands are sought after in trades and have a much higher price tag than normal lands. People love them, they exist only for hype.

Ravnica already has hype, so no need for full-art lands.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Zendikar and old mirrodin and kamigawa have my favorite card arts, then ravnica. Because I must be different.
I understand that they are using them as a gimmick to sell more packs when they actually do them once every 8 years or whatever, but I'm saying that that's just bad for the players.  Unlike printing cards that effect actual gameplay (and thus reprinting cool things that people want could have a downside), printing full art lands for the players is just actually all upside.  It's just foolish to sell you a bad version of cards in 9 out of 10 sets, and then use giving you what they should have given you in the first place as a gimmick to try to sell more cards.  It's akin to intentionally printing a terrible set so that your next good set looks even better in comparison.
I understand that they are using them as a gimmick to sell more packs when they actually do them once every 8 years or whatever, but I'm saying that that's just bad for the players.  Unlike printing cards that effect actual gameplay (and thus reprinting cool things that people want could have a downside), printing full art lands for the players is just actually all upside.  It's just foolish to sell you a bad version of cards in 9 out of 10 sets, and then use giving you what they should have given you in the first place as a gimmick to try to sell more cards.  It's akin to intentionally printing a terrible set so that your next good set looks even better in comparison.



If you are talking just land wise than I would have to dissagree, I believe the art for all the Innistrad block art to be super beautiful and also the spoiler art for the RtR block.

If you are talking about actual blocks and sets themselves overall, I personally know people that disliked nearly every part of the entire Zendikar block for this reason or that (exept for some exeptions). As for my opinion personally, I wasnt around for the Zendikar block so I would love it if they printed full art land at least a little bit more. But all I can say from a popularity aspect of blocks is that I personally mainly only come into contact with Zendikar cards that are the lands and more so the Eldrazi cards. But I would honestly have to say that I come into contact with more Alara cards than Zendikar on any givin day.

So I can't say that 9 out of every 10 sets are a bad version no matter what angle I read this as. 
 
I understand that they are using them as a gimmick to sell more packs when they actually do them once every 8 years or whatever, but I'm saying that that's just bad for the players.  Unlike printing cards that effect actual gameplay (and thus reprinting cool things that people want could have a downside), printing full art lands for the players is just actually all upside.  It's just foolish to sell you a bad version of cards in 9 out of 10 sets, and then use giving you what they should have given you in the first place as a gimmick to try to sell more cards.  It's akin to intentionally printing a terrible set so that your next good set looks even better in comparison.



If you are talking just land wise than I would have to dissagree, I believe the art for all the Innistrad block art to be super beautiful and also the spoiler art for the RtR block.

If you are talking about actual blocks and sets themselves overall, I personally know people that disliked nearly every part of the entire Zendikar block for this reason or that (exept for some exeptions). As for my opinion personally, I wasnt around for the Zendikar block so I would love it if they printed full art land at least a little bit more. But all I can say from a popularity aspect of blocks is that I personally mainly only come into contact with Zendikar cards that are the lands and more so the Eldrazi cards. But I would honestly have to say that I come into contact with more Alara cards than Zendikar on any givin day.

So I can't say that 9 out of every 10 sets are a bad version no matter what angle I read this as. 
 




I'm not saying the sets themselves are bad.  I'm saying they have a bad version of lands in them (non-full art.)  The art on most basic lands is fantastic, but you can barely see it because it's so small, and the new card frame on lands is terrible as well.  They need to do full art lands every block.  Intentionally making an inferior product so you can hype the better version every few years is just bad for the player base.
I understand that they are using them as a gimmick to sell more packs when they actually do them once every 8 years or whatever, but I'm saying that that's just bad for the players.  Unlike printing cards that effect actual gameplay (and thus reprinting cool things that people want could have a downside), printing full art lands for the players is just actually all upside.  It's just foolish to sell you a bad version of cards in 9 out of 10 sets, and then use giving you what they should have given you in the first place as a gimmick to try to sell more cards.  It's akin to intentionally printing a terrible set so that your next good set looks even better in comparison.



If you are talking just land wise than I would have to dissagree, I believe the art for all the Innistrad block art to be super beautiful and also the spoiler art for the RtR block.

If you are talking about actual blocks and sets themselves overall, I personally know people that disliked nearly every part of the entire Zendikar block for this reason or that (exept for some exeptions). As for my opinion personally, I wasnt around for the Zendikar block so I would love it if they printed full art land at least a little bit more. But all I can say from a popularity aspect of blocks is that I personally mainly only come into contact with Zendikar cards that are the lands and more so the Eldrazi cards. But I would honestly have to say that I come into contact with more Alara cards than Zendikar on any givin day.

So I can't say that 9 out of every 10 sets are a bad version no matter what angle I read this as. 
 




I'm not saying the sets themselves are bad.  I'm saying they have a bad version of lands in them (non-full art.)  The art on most basic lands is fantastic, but you can barely see it because it's so small, and the new card frame on lands is terrible as well.  They need to do full art lands every block.  Intentionally making an inferior product so you can hype the better version every few years is just bad for the player base.



Oh, I read most of it wrong xD haha

And yeah, it almost makes me feel a bit like they are pushing us around, almost like them saying "Yeah we know this is what you really want, but we want it to remane "special" so we will only print it once every few years. Have fun with that." 

But on the other hand it does bring up a lot of hype for maybe a set that they want people to get excited about (unlike RtR where everyone is already head over heels for)
I'm not saying the sets themselves are bad.  I'm saying they have a bad version of lands in them (non-full art.)  The art on most basic lands is fantastic, but you can barely see it because it's so small, and the new card frame on lands is terrible as well.  They need to do full art lands every block.  Intentionally making an inferior product so you can hype the better version every few years is just bad for the player base.



This is where you fail to remember that WotC is a business, they do things to make a profit. This is like saying: "Why do chain stores have blowout sales only once a year, the non-sale prices are overcosted, they should always keep it at the sales price, it's better for buyers!" The store uses the sale to make a profit. If everything is on sale all the time, not only does it take away all the marketing abilities the "Blow out sale" grants, but it's no longer sale price anymore, now is it? 





And yeah, it almost makes me feel a bit like they are pushing us around, almost like them saying "Yeah we know this is what you really want, but we want it to remane "special" so we will only print it once every few years. Have fun with that." 

But on the other hand it does bring up a lot of hype for maybe a set that they want people to get excited about (unlike RtR where everyone is already head over heels for)



Exactly my point.
Woot! Go RED! I love red! Red is awesome! Did I mention I love red?
those personality things
Suprisingly enough, in that test, I'm not red I am White/Black
I am White/Black
Take The Magic Dual Colour Test - Beta today!
Created with Rum and Monkey's Personality Test Generator.

IMAGE(http://www.nodiatis.com/pub/21.jpg)

Boss smileys: Come check out the Expanded Multiverse Project for great stories and a great community
quotes
56778328 wrote:
Why did you post it here? "Hey, all you guys who play this game! I'm not gonna play it!" "Umm... Ok, dude."
Because they don't want to make it not special by making it a regular thing.
They don't want people to become accustomed to something so cool.

This is my complaint against that policy:

They're lands! They're never going to be the center of your marketing strategy. They're never going to be the most memorable thing in a block. They exist solely to facilitate the playing of the game. Whether they're full art or not, their purpose is to slide under the radar.

Full-art lands aren't just "something cool". They're the natural next evolution for basic lands. First came the giant mana symbol in the text box; now, we just expand the art to take up the full frame. So what if it becomes "less special"? Honestly, if they're relying on full-art lands to market a block, that block must be terrible.


Pretty much this. Well, that, or they replace the symbol with five lines of "LANDS AREN'T MANA" :P

Zammm = Batman.

It's my sig in a box
58280208 wrote:
Everything is better when you read it in Bane's voice.
192334281 wrote:
Your human antics and desire to continue living have moved me. Just kidding. You cannot move me physically or emotionally. Wall humor.
57092228 wrote:
Copy effects work like a photocopy machine: you get a copy of the 'naked' card, NOT of what's on it.
56995928 wrote:
Funny story: InQuest Magazine (I think it was InQuest) had an oversized Chaos Orb which I totally rooked someone into allowing into a (non-sanctioned) game. I had a proxy card that was a Mountain with "Chaos Orb" written on it. When I played it, my opponent cried foul: Him: "WTF? a Proxy? no-one said anything about Proxies. Do you even own an actual Chaos Orb?" Me: "Yes, but I thought it would be better to use a Proxy." Him: "No way. If you're going to put a Chaos Orb in your deck you have to use your actual Chaos Orb." Me: "*Sigh*. Okay." I pulled out this huge Chaos Orb and placed it on the table. He tried to cry foul again but everyone else said he insisted I use my actual Chaos Orb and that was my actual Chaos Orb. I used it, flipped it and wiped most of his board. Unsurprisingly, that only worked once and only because everyone present thought it was hilarious.
My DM on Battleminds:
no, see i can kill defenders, but 8 consecutive crits on a battlemind, eh walk it off.
144543765 wrote:
195392035 wrote:
Hi guys! So, I'm a sort of returning player to Magic. I say sort of because as a child I had two main TCG's I liked. Yu-Gi-Oh, and Pokemon. Some of my friends branched off in to Magic, and I bought two pre-made decks just to kind of fit in. Like I said, Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokemon were what I really knew how to play. I have a extensive knowledge of deck building in those two TCG's. However, as far as Magic is concerned, I only ever used those two pre made decks. I know how the game is played, and I know general things, but now I want to get in the game for real. I want to begin playing it as a regular. My question is, are all cards ever released from the time of the inception of this game until present day fair game in a deck? Or are there special rules? Are some cards forbidden or restricted? Thanks guys, and I will gladly accept ANY help lol.
I have the same problem with women.
117639611 wrote:
198869283 wrote:
Oh I have a standing rule. If someone plays a Planeswalker I concede the game. I refuse to play with or against people who play Planeswalkers. They really did ruin the game.
A turn two Tibalt win?! Wicked... Betcha don't see that everyday.

The Pony Co. 

Is this my new ego sig? Yes it is, other Barry
57461258 wrote:
And that's why you should never, ever call RP Jesus on being a troll, because then everyone else playing along gets outed, too, and the thread goes back to being boring.
57461258 wrote:
See, this is why RPJesus should be in charge of the storyline. The novel line would never have been cancelled if he had been running the show. Specifically the Slobad and Geth's Head talkshow he just described.
57461258 wrote:
Not only was that an obligatory joke, it was an on-topic post that still managed to be off-topic due to thread derailment. RP Jesus does it again folks.
92481331 wrote:
I think I'm gonna' start praying to Jesus... That's right, RPJesus, I'm gonna' be praying to you, right now. O' Jesus Please continue to make my time here on the forums fun and cause me to chuckle. Amen.
92481331 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
It was wonderful. Us Johnnies had a field day. That Timmy with the Grizzly bears would actually have to think about swinging into your Mogg Fanatic, giving you time to set up your silly combo. Nowadays it's all DERPSWING! with thier blue jeans and their MP3 players and their EM EM OH AR PEE JEES and their "Dewmocracy" and their children's card games and their Jersey Shores and their Tattooed Tenaged Vampire Hunters from Beverly Hills
Seriously, that was amazing. I laughed my *ss off. Made my day, and I just woke up.
[quote=ArtVenn You're still one of my favorite people... just sayin'.[/quote]
56756068 wrote:
56786788 wrote:
.....would it be a bit blasphemous if I said, "PRAYSE RPJAYSUS!" like an Evangelical preacher?
Perhaps, but who doesn't like to blaspheme every now and again? Especially when Mr. RPJesus is completely right.
56756068 wrote:
I don't say this often, but ... LOL
57526128 wrote:
You... You... Evil something... I actualy made the damn char once I saw the poster... Now you made me see it again and I gained resolve to put it into my campaign. Shell be high standing oficial of Cyrix order. Uterly mad and only slightly evil. And it'll be bad. Evil even. And ill blame you and Lizard for it :P.
57042968 wrote:
111809331 wrote:
I'm trying to work out if you're being sarcastic here. ...
Am going to stop you right there... it's RPJesus... he's always sarcastic
58335208 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
112114441 wrote:
we can only hope it gets the jace treatment...it could have at least been legendary
So that even the decks that don't run it run it to deal with it? Isn't that like the definition of format warping?
I lol'd.
56287226 wrote:
98088088 wrote:
Uktabi Orangutan What the heck's going on with those monkeys?
The most common answer is that they are what RPJesus would call "[Debutantes avert your eyes]ing."
56965458 wrote:
Show
57461258 wrote:
116498949 wrote:
I’ve removed content from this thread because off-topic discussions are a violation of the Code of Conduct. You can review the Code here: www.wizards.com/Company/About.aspx?x=wz_... Please keep your posts polite, on-topic, and refrain from making personal attacks. You are welcome to disagree with one another but please do so respectfully and constructively. If you wish to report a post for Code of Conduct violation, click on the “Report Post” button above the post and this will submit your report to the moderators on duty.
...Am I the only one that thinks this is reaching the point of downright Kafkaesque insanity?
I condone the use of the word Kafkaesque. However, I'm presentely ambivalent. I mean, that can't be serious, right? We're April 1st, right? They didn't mod RPJesus for off-topic discussion when the WHOLE THREAD IS OFF-TOPIC, right? Right.
57545908 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
Save or die. If you disagree with this, you're wrong (Not because of any points or arguements that have been made, but I just rolled a d20 for you and got a 1, so you lose).
58397368 wrote:
58222628 wrote:
This just won the argument, AFAIC.
That's just awesome.
57471038 wrote:
57718868 wrote:
HOW DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THE BEAR PRODUCING WORDS OF WILDING?! WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?!
That's what RPJesus tends to do. That's why I don't think he's a real person, but some Magic Card Archive Server sort of machine, that is programmed to react to other posters' comments with obscure cards that do in fact exist, but somehow missed by even the most experienced Magic players. And then come up with strange combos with said cards. All of that is impossible for a normal human to do given the amount of time he does it and how often he does it. He/It got me with Light of Sanction, which prompted me to go to RQ&A to try and find if it was even possible to do combat damage to a creature I control (in light that Mark of Asylum exists).
71235715 wrote:
+10
100176878 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
57078538 wrote:
heaven or hell.
Round 1. Lets rock.
GG quotes! RPJesus just made this thread win!
56906968 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
143359585 wrote:
Blue players get all the overpowerered cards like JTMS. I think it's time that wizards gave something to people who remember what magic is really about: creatures.
Initially yes, Wizards was married to blue. However, about a decade ago they had a nasty divorce, and a few years after that they began courting the attention of Green. Then in Worldwake they had a nasty affair with their ex, but as of Innistrad, things seem to have gotten back on track, and Wizards has even proposed.
You are my favorite. Yes you. And moments like this make it so. Thank you RPJesus for just being you.
On what flavor text fits me:
57307308 wrote:
Surely RPJesus gets Niv-Mizzet, Dracogenius?
56874518 wrote:
First: I STILL can't take you seriously with that avatar. And I can take RPJesus seriously, so that's saying something.
121689989 wrote:
I'd offer you a cookie for making me laugh but it has an Upkeep Cost that has been known to cause people to quit eating.
56267956 wrote:
I <3 you loads
57400888 wrote:
56957928 wrote:
"AINT NO LAWS IN THE SKY MOTHER****." - Agrus Kos, Wojek Veteran
10/10. Amazing.
Change lands to the extended art we're getting at game-day promos, and change the giant mana symbol back to the rules text.
I'm not saying the sets themselves are bad.  I'm saying they have a bad version of lands in them (non-full art.)  The art on most basic lands is fantastic, but you can barely see it because it's so small, and the new card frame on lands is terrible as well.  They need to do full art lands every block.  Intentionally making an inferior product so you can hype the better version every few years is just bad for the player base.



This is where you fail to remember that WotC is a business, they do things to make a profit. This is like saying: "Why do chain stores have blowout sales only once a year, the non-sale prices are overcosted, they should always keep it at the sales price, it's better for buyers!" The store uses the sale to make a profit. If everything is on sale all the time, not only does it take away all the marketing abilities the "Blow out sale" grants, but it's no longer sale price anymore, now is it? 





And yeah, it almost makes me feel a bit like they are pushing us around, almost like them saying "Yeah we know this is what you really want, but we want it to remane "special" so we will only print it once every few years. Have fun with that." 

But on the other hand it does bring up a lot of hype for maybe a set that they want people to get excited about (unlike RtR where everyone is already head over heels for)



Exactly my point.




I understand that it's a marketing strategy.  I'm saying that I think it is a poor one.  Full art lands are just better looking than the small art new card frame lands, they don't have a negative effect on gameplay (like printing overpowered cards are), they don't cut into sales (like printing multiple mythics per pack or something), and it doesn't cost more (like printing all foils or something).


I also don't think a blowout sale is an apt analogy.  I think it's more like a store offering only 18" TVs 364 days a year, and then on the sale day selling 40" TVs.
I can see both sides of this. The full arts do feel like something special. The one unhinged land I have is my favorite, an island. And my Zendikar lands are the only ones I use. I love the look and I do use them to set myself apart from other players. I get people asking where I got them quite often. Then I think how cool the Innistrad, and Avacyn Restored lands would have looked in full art. The new Ravnica lands would look great too.

Maybe they could do them for the first set of a new block only, and put them in a common spot again instead of having one in every pack. This might keep them more scarce. Another idea is to make them some type of promo like the old guru lands.
I can see both sides of this. The full arts do feel like something special. The one unhinged land I have is my favorite, an island. And my Zendikar lands are the only ones I use. I love the look and I do use them to set myself apart from other players. I get people asking where I got them quite often. Then I think how cool the Innistrad, and Avacyn Restored lands would have looked in full art. The new Ravnica lands would look great too.

Maybe they could do them for the first set of a new block only, and put them in a common spot again instead of having one in every pack. This might keep them more scarce. Another idea is to make them some type of promo like the old guru lands.



I have to agree with Mauler on this.  Both sides have valid points.  Full arts are clearly superior and don't cost any more to make.  The logical next step is not making the normal card frame basics anymore.  However, the full arts can be nice.  Most of the people I know use them exclusively for their FNM and EDH decks, with the exception of Alpha, Beta lands.  Personally, most of my standard deck is Onslaught lands signed by the artist.  People ooh and aah over them all day long.  I'd assume people do the same with full arts, and the further we get from Zendikar block, the harder and harder they'll be to come by.  If they only print full art cards once or twice a decade, they'll be very appreciated, but they'll be common enough to never sell for more than $5 a piece.  I think that's a reasonable balance.

It also makes sense to do full art when it's relevant to the set, i.e. a plane that themes on extravagant landscapes and explorers and like themes.  Past sets that would have also made sense to do full art lands in are, thematically, Homelands, Mercadian Masques block, Future Sight, and I could see Wizards' doing a FtV style set of full art cards. 
Favorite set: Arabian Nights Favorite planeswalker: Taysir, the One Made of Five Favorite book cycle: Ice Age Favorite creature type(s): Elephant (W), Minotaur (R), Shade (B), Spider (G), Cephalid (U) Myr (Artifact) Pauper: Monoblack Control Modern: Zombie Tribal; Unyaro Stax Cube: The Moons of Mirrodin
According to Maro's Tumblr they want to do more full art lands but it costs a lot more money to make them vs. regular lands. He pretty much confirmed that they would return again though.
According to Maro's Tumblr they want to do more full art lands but it costs a lot more money to make them vs. regular lands.


Where did he say that?

I've heard him say on numerous occassions that they don't do it regularly because it would diminish the impact of it.
They ARE going to do it again, but it will never be a regular occurance.
According to Maro's Tumblr they want to do more full art lands but it costs a lot more money to make them vs. regular lands.


Where did he say that?

I've heard him say on numerous occassions that they don't do it regularly because it would diminish the impact of it.
They ARE going to do it again, but it will never be a regular occurance.




I can't imagine that they are significantly more expensive.  It's not like the regular cards are black and white or something, they have the same amount of ink printed on them.


As for diminishing the "impact", it's just a terrible mentality.  That's just the way that basic lands should look.  Consumers shouldn't be treated to an inferior product 90% of the time because that will make them happier when they get something better.
On one hand, Zendikar is still a recent memory.

On the other, Ravnica lands look AMAZING, and full art Rav lands would be made of money.



On the secondary market, a.k.a. not money for WotC.
139359831 wrote:
Clever deduction Watson! Maybe you can explain why Supergirl is trying to kill me.
---- Autocard is your friend. Lightning Bolt = Lightning Bolt
On one hand, Zendikar is still a recent memory.

On the other, Ravnica lands look AMAZING, and full art Rav lands would be made of money.



On the secondary market, a.k.a. not money for WotC.





Creating a better product builds goodwill and customer loyalty, which would in turn make more money for Wizards.
I can't find the post I was referring to (I probably made it up in all honesty) but I did find this which is the worst reason possible.